Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
FWIW, I would NOT recommend running the Rubicon w/your Ram. While it sounds like the drive train is up to it, I think the truck would be too long and wide to negotiate the entire trail, particularly one set of narrow rock gates that I recall, without some body damage.

I ran the Rubicon in a heavily modded Jeep TJ that I owned at the same time as the FJ but chose the TJ for the run because of the widder turning radius of the FJ. That turned out to be the better choice because there were sections that I do NOT think the FJ could have negotiated as easily as the TJ. There is a giid reason why you mainly see only Jeeps and other narrow, short wheel based 4wheelers on the Rubicon.

That said, most trucks that I've seen on the trail enter from the Tahoe end, where it is wider and straighter, down to the Spings and head back the way they came. The most difficult section of the trail is the descent and ascent down/up Cadillac Hill. Best to be in low/low when going down and make sure you have enough clearance for the 4 ft ledge that was there the last time I went up the hill.

Unless things have changed, you will probably have to build up some rock steps to get up and over that ledge going back up as I did in the past. It was hard to stand up straight and felt like 45 slope when I got out of the TJ to do that, so make sure you're in gear (or park) and have your e-brake fully engaged and your wheels blocked, if you have to do this or you may be in for a very rude surprise.

Happy wheeling!
Thanks for the info sgt1372! It's a naieve dream to be sure haha. I am still extremely new to 4wheeling so really just exploring and enjoying the overlanding aspect for now. I got some mods to do way before that anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
In case you didn't know. I have a MoPar 4X4 problem...

My pretty boy (RIP) and some jeeps.

And the Dodge with my baby girl in it.

And jeeps scattered around the yard.
Haha! Nice love it, better to have more to do than nothing to do haha! Good looking dogs too! Is that M34 running? Looks like a fun project!
Old 09-18-2018, 11:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

awesome, awesome pics. love the power wagons.
Old 09-18-2018, 3:34 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuvik View Post
Thanks for the info sgt1372! It's a naieve dream to be sure haha. I am still extremely new to 4wheeling so really just exploring and enjoying the overlanding aspect for now. I got some mods to do way before that anyways.

Haha! Nice love it, better to have more to do than nothing to do haha! Good looking dogs too! Is that M34 running? Looks like a fun project!
The ambulances are M43's but you probably know that.

runs great and all systems are operational.

Have you thought about adding windows to your top?

Here I am.

"I'm for Hoffa until they pat my face with a shovel and steal my cufflinks." Frank Sheerin
Old 09-18-2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
The ambulances are M43's but you probably know that.

runs great and all systems are operational.

Have you thought about adding windows to your top?
Woops, dyslexia at work haha!

If you are talking about windows in the topper we decided against that for added security. I usually take a few rifles with me so I like them secured in the back if my girl friend and I go out to dinner or we leave the truck at a trailhead for a hike. When its folded out for camping there is plenty of light inside, plus the bed has LED lighting. When folded for travel I havent been bothered by too little light getting stuff out of the back.
Old 09-22-2018, 5:26 AM

I have two old Power Wagons (75 & 76).

The 76 was my daily driver for a while. Has a 440, but then when smog time came, I parked it, and it's been sitting for 15+ years. I picked up the 75 to swap everything to since it is smog exempt. I had thought about building it into an offroad camping vehicle, but I like the amenities in my 2014 Ram too much. I probably will just end up selling them, but threads like these always gets me wanting to do the build again.
Old 09-24-2018, 6:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Went to Calico this weekend. Very hot, fun.
Did I mention it was hot?

Remy is hanging under the shade of the Easy Up

I have no idea if this video link will work or not. https://www.facebook.com/diane.alvar...286223877/?t=7

Last edited by VictorFranko; 09-24-2018 at 7:06 AM..
Old 09-25-2018, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
Went to Calico this weekend. Very hot, fun.
Did I mention it was hot?

Remy is hanging under the shade of the Easy Up

I have no idea if this video link will work or not. https://www.facebook.com/diane.alvar...286223877/?t=7
Heck ya! *****ing pictures! Leading the pack too, right on! Ill have to read up on Calico, is it pretty difficult? That canyon looks amazing! And your jeep just mountain goated right up that technical!!! Looks really good in that video too! Hopefully not to hot for Remy, looks like shes is rest mode after a hard days work being copilot!

Cool adventure!