Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-12-2013, 7:21 AM

Default SHTF Senarios? What will be your emergency?

Like the subject says, what most likely eve t are you prepping for?

I think a large earthquake could shut sh't down enough to say SHTF. If not something like a meteor messing up the whole USA.

What a out you?
Old 07-12-2013, 7:37 AM

Default SHTF Senarios? What will be your emergency?

Like the subject says, what most likely serious events are you prepping for?

I think a large earthquake could shut sh't down enough to say SHTF here in So Cal. If not something like a meteor messing up the whole USA and creating shortages.

Or maybe a invasion from China on the West Coast? Sh't where's my drones?

What about you?
Old 07-12-2013, 7:51 AM
Veteran Member

Fire, quake, economic collapse are, in that order, the biggies for me. Of course, you never know what will happen, so you try to prep for everything, but you have to start somewhere.
Old 07-12-2013, 8:06 AM
CGSSA Associate

Preparing for a Zombie apocalypse. DHS was doing some training exercises for just this not too long ago and recommended the same of others. Saying if you prepare for this, then you are prepared for just about anything.
Old 07-12-2013, 8:17 AM

Economic and governmental collapse scares the crap out of me.

Natural disasters are always localized and they will bring outside resources to help.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
Economic and governmental collapse scares the crap out of me.

Natural disasters are always localized and they will bring outside resources to help.
+1

My worst fear would be an ammo shortage where a government entity was buying up billions of rounds.

-Cody
Old 07-12-2013, 10:39 AM

Something that makes fuel go to $10 per gallon that would keep people from working. My guess is food runs would start happening pretty soon after. Beats me anything really could happen.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Banned

Have a location with several cat gens (4000kw) and 2 40000 gal underground diesel tanks if fuel. Good stock of water at any given time. No food and building will need some fortifying in lobby areas. Plenty of cages inside. I will commandeer this place quick if SHTF Z-style.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:08 AM

Electrical grid is down, fire, earthquake, and Government collapse
Old 07-12-2013, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Town View Post
Have a location with several cat gens (4000kw) and 2 40000 gal underground diesel tanks if fuel. Good stock of water at any given time. No food and building will need some fortifying in lobby areas. Plenty of cages inside. I will commandeer this place quick if SHTF Z-style.
Sounds like a data center near a pond.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Town View Post
Data center?
Old 07-12-2013, 11:15 AM

Things i consider to be worth prepping for: Major geologic event, long term power outage, freak storm (hurricane hitting San Diego), foreign invasion, riots/uprising, global widespread deadly disease pandemic, severe famine/drought, nuclear emergency.

Not worth prepping for:
Zombies, and extraterrestrial invasions are too unlikely to bother prepping for.

Cosmic events--not worth prepping for either. No matter what you do, you are still effed, and dead, it would be just time to accept that it is the end.
Old 07-13-2013, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ga View Post
Things i consider to be worth prepping for: Major geologic event, long term power outage, freak storm (hurricane hitting San Diego), foreign invasion, riots/uprising, global widespread deadly disease pandemic, severe famine/drought, nuclear emergency.

Not worth prepping for:
Zombies, and extraterrestrial invasions are too unlikely to bother prepping for.

Cosmic events--not worth prepping for either. No matter what you do, you are still effed, and dead, it would be just time to accept that it is the end.
You do realize that generally when people discuss "Zombies" they are referring to rioters, looters, tyrants/gun grabbers, LEO/government gone wild etc., and not the "walking dead"?!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:23 AM

There are two types of SHTF scenarios. There's the regional event like hurricane Sandy that shuts down the local infrastructure for a temporary period of time. In a situation like this you need to have food, water, medicine and fuel on hand to last you through the event. Unless mandated by the authorities and your house is in good order you'd be better served to stay put in this type of situation unless you have a suitable bug-out location.

Then there is the possibility of a global catastrophe that could disrupt the infrastructure for a significantly longer period of time. It really doesn't matter what the event is, what matters is you have an evacuation plan and the supplies to survive for a prolonged period of time until things get back to normal. The reality is 98% of the population wouldn't know what to do in this type of situation. There would be a total break-down of society and a very dangerous time.

It’s never too early to learn that the government is a greedy piglet
that suckles on a taxpayer’s teet until they have sore, chapped nipples.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:24 AM

Most likely are Earthquake and riots.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Kaiju attack. Working on cardboard prototypes for a giant Jaeger robot as I type this.....
Old 07-12-2013, 12:10 PM

I live at the north end of LA county. My shtf would not be The Big One itself that is eventually coming our way but would instead be the aftermath of that big quake. I would expect about a week or so of no support services to assist society and the breakdown of society that subsequently follows.

Personally, I fear mass fires and frankly just chaos within LA which causes a million or so people to migrate north out of the San Fran valley up the 5. I fear my city of 250k suddenly getting 500k more people temporarily moving in. Such an inflow would severely stress the infrastructure.
Old 07-12-2013, 8:19 AM
Calguns Addict

It looks like the thread disappeared; but I think you should prepare for this:
http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative...a-2705462.html
Old 07-12-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasND View Post
It looks like the thread disappeared; but I think you should prepare for this:
http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative...a-2705462.html
This is a little far fetched for me....
I think the three most possible "events" to prepare for in California would be fire, earthquake, and civil unrest when our economy takes it's last stand
Old 07-12-2013, 1:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Only 'a little' huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by koocan View Post
This is a little far fetched for me....
I think the three most possible "events" to prepare for in California would be fire, earthquake, and civil unrest when our economy takes it's last stand
Old 07-12-2013, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

If you take out the bit about demonic aliens it sounds a lot more credible. The best way of hiding the truth is to bury it under a pile of bullschipt.

It's pretty obvious that the last several presidents we've had weren't their own masters, and that policy has been moving in a general direction under both D & R administrations for several generations now. That's not for the personal gain of a particular individual, or even a chosen few. It speaks to a plan that is so big, and over such a long time, that it defies comprehension.

I'll leave it to the individual to decide what lens to make that observation through, and interpret it for themselves.
Old 07-12-2013, 9:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Yeah; I doubt our problem is aliens and I'm pretty sure humans are the worst enemy humanity will ever face.

Part of the problem of narrowing focus on one problem is that it ends up like an episode of 'Doomsday Preppers' where each segment limits the prepper to one possibility. That often lead to the prepper looking ridiculous (well, more ridiculous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
If you take out the bit about demonic aliens it sounds a lot more credible. The best way of hiding the truth is to bury it under a pile of bullschipt.

It's pretty obvious that the last several presidents we've had weren't their own masters, and that policy has been moving in a general direction under both D & R administrations for several generations now. That's not for the personal gain of a particular individual, or even a chosen few. It speaks to a plan that is so big, and over such a long time, that it defies comprehension.

I'll leave it to the individual to decide what lens to make that observation through, and interpret it for themselves.
Old 07-12-2013, 9:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Oh, sorry, didn't post my prep scenario - Regional grid collapse due to solar activity. I figure the west coast could be stuck without power for a month of two. Hopefully not longer. I don't think it will be uniformly devastating, but our grid here is over-taxed as it is, and rolling blackouts are a fairly recent memory. So I can picture it taking weeks to bring the grid back online if it were damaged by solar activity (or cyber-terrorism or some kind of EMP).

Oh, and a sharknado. Can never be too prepared for one of those.

Last edited by bruss01; 07-12-2013 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: *facepalm* Can't believe I forgot sharknado preps.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:38 AM

Civil Unrest all aother events will lead to this.
Old 07-12-2013, 1:45 PM

Everyday stuff like auto accident, house fire, losing a job, and major healthcare events.

SHTF events would be earthquake (with damage to roadways, rail lines, and possibly water and power transmission), wildfire (happens a lot here in north San Diego county), terrorist attack on SoCal water supply, economic collapse, disease outbreak and pandemic, and civil unrest (possibly due to class or race tensions but also to any breakdown in law and order caused by the preceding). My long-term goal is to be well prepared for any of these.

TEOTWAWKI I am not preparing for. Really being prepared kinda means giving up my modern lifestyle and becoming a farmer or blacksmith or something, and even then it's too easy to be overtaken by events. Yellowstone volcano, global thermonuclear war, massive EMP, etc.
Old 07-12-2013, 2:31 PM

No matter what you prepare for like shtf, the race war, natural disasters, zombies, and riots etc the goods stored and arms stockpiled will work for any shtf incident.
Old 07-12-2013, 3:00 PM
Veteran Member

The scenarios that has happened already are quakes, power outages, and wild fires. So I've prepped for those.
Old 07-12-2013, 3:08 PM

Any type of economic disaster won’t happen overnight, you are not going to wake up one morning to a collapsed economy. Fuel Shortage, food shortage, massive recession, pandemic, these all takes weeks if not months to go into full effect. So having a “drop and run” plan for these scenarios doesn’t make much sense.

Things like earthquakes, tornados, fires, riots come on with almost no notice.
Old 07-13-2013, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goop View Post
Any type of economic disaster won’t happen overnight, you are not going to wake up one morning to a collapsed economy. Fuel Shortage, food shortage, massive recession, pandemic, these all takes weeks if not months to go into full effect. So having a “drop and run” plan for these scenarios doesn’t make much sense.

Things like earthquakes, tornados, fires, riots come on with almost no notice.
I disagree. I've seen banks fail, and they intentionally try to give the impression that everything's fine or their problems are just about solved, right up to the day the bank doesn't open. In places like Greece, things are "manageable" right up until the moment some government authority declares a bank holiday or currency devaluation. The powers that be know very well that if they say, "We're going to close banks on August 12," or "We're going to issue a devalued currency in 20 days," people will do crazy things that will be worse than the cure.

As for fuel and food shortages, I can see these happening in the blink of an eye, for example in the case of an earthquake that destroys roads and bridges and thus takes out the distribution system.

While a disease may develop over time at a more or less predictable rate, it's the psychological effects and social behaviors that can erupt overnight. Suddenly people stop showing up for work, afraid of getting a deadly flu; suddenly an area is quarantined, and any plan calling for evacuation must now include getting around checkpoints; the government makes some proclamation and suddenly people feel deceived and abandoned and start rioting.
Old 07-12-2013, 4:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I prep for the day that California and about 10 major cities declare bankruptcy, then the resulting lawlessness that quickly turns into rioting and a free for all with no one to hold down the fort. The subsequent martial law declaration by a democrat governor and the answer to it being bringing in national guard and armed forces. This leads to complete and utter chaos which causes millions of refuges to head out of LA. That influx of people totally overwhelms the infrastructure and chaos radiates throughout the western states eventually taking down the government and causing the SHTF. And I also prep for global thermonuclear war being started by Japan.
Old 07-16-2013, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakersfield_Grizzly View Post
I prep for the day that California and about 10 major cities declare bankruptcy, then the resulting lawlessness that quickly turns into rioting and a free for all with no one to hold down the fort. The subsequent martial law declaration by a democrat governor and the answer to it being bringing in national guard and armed forces. This leads to complete and utter chaos which causes millions of refuges to head out of LA. That influx of people totally overwhelms the infrastructure and chaos radiates throughout the western states eventually taking down the government and causing the SHTF. And I also prep for global thermonuclear war being started by Japan.
^ why japan?
Old 07-12-2013, 7:07 PM
CGSSA Associate

Prohibition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirly View Post
Like the subject says, what most likely eve t are you prepping for?

I think a large earthquake could shut sh't down enough to say SHTF. If not something like a meteor messing up the whole USA.

What a out you?

Last edited by tacksman; 07-12-2013 at 7:49 PM..
Old 07-12-2013, 8:50 PM
Calguns Addict

I think just about any crisis that puts people into a pathetic state of panic. I just stay on top of the news soi can bug out and not care.
Old 07-13-2013, 5:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Race/social class wars.
Old 07-13-2013, 5:57 AM

Hostile takeover/weapons confiscation by dhs and it`s outside un affiliates which at that point would lead to our next civil war. With each passing day it becomes more possible than you think.
Old 07-13-2013, 4:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Warm beer, ugh. Prepared. Everything else I live way too close to a nuclear power plant. Not going to go well for any type of disaster.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 07-13-2013 at 5:04 PM..
Old 07-14-2013, 10:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i try and obtain knowledge and items that could be of assistance in any number of SHTF scenarios. i don't restrict myself to preparing for only one type of disaster or event. when SHTF, other ruinous conditions and scenarios could result and soon follow... some of which could be far worse and far reaching than the initial destructive event/occurrence.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:39 PM

Zombies real ones. Slow ones I think I would handle fast ones well I dead.

3rd data center.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:55 AM
top poster @ utahguns.net
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Earthquake would be scenario one. I'm also concerned, being less than 5 minutes from huge oil and gas fields, for burning wells. In the even well fires get out of control, the smoke will be so bad that this area will be like Kuwait during the Gulf War. Bugging out would be necessary.

Join the discussion at www.utahguns.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP911 View Post
sweet jesus, the subject matter experts are 97!
Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Old 07-15-2013, 3:59 PM

Pandemic

I know an earthquake is the most likely thing to happen.
But an earthquake is localized. So the federal government
will mobilize very quickly, and local police and national guard
will also do their best to handle the situation so it doesn't get
out of hand. Having been in the valley for the Northridge
quake, things were destroyed everywhere, but there were
police and fire crews, there were citizens helping each other,
and so on. Even with large amounts of damage, not all the
roads were destroyed, so it was easy to find alternate routes
to get to other cities, where the damage was not as bad,
and buy groceries, water, etc. It looked like a disaster zone
in the valley, but 20 minutes away on the westside, all the
stores were open, power was on, and life was like normal.
So even if all of LA was trashed, I think people would be
able to head down to San Diego, or up to San Fran,
and things would be business as usual in those places.

My concern is a pandemic. Mainly because it might
take the government 6 months to make a vaccine.
Maybe longer. So in that situation, I worry that
truck drivers will simply be afraid to go into big cities,
and so people will be rioting and looting in a matter
of a few days, due to lack of food. Half of people
don't even cook at home. They eat out almost every meal.
Or they eat frozen food that will be bad in a week.
We do have a pretty good amount of food production in the USA.
But it depends on that food being processed, packaged, and delivered.
If truck drivers are unwilling or unable to get to the grocery stores,
then people will start going crazy really fast. Hungry kids and
babies turn even the most peaceful parents into killers.
Plus you are going to have a mass exodus of people
trying to flee the city, which will probably make the roads
impassible. And that's without the possible quarantine
actions the government might put into place to try
to contain the virus/etc.

I imagine the government would try to do food drops.
Or food deliveries by military trucks.
But you are still dealing with mob mentality.
And if the pandemic was actually killing off millions
of people, the bodies in the streets would make people
think it was the end of the world, and people would
start acting crazy.

I know there are all kinds of other possible things
that could happen. Solar Flares, etc. But I just think
they are much more unlikely. Not impossible, but
not as likely. Pandemics have a historic pattern.
We haven't seen a modern history of solar flares
or supervolcanoes. But we have seen pandemics
in fairly recent human history. And our population
is getting larger and larger and larger. It's only a
matter of time.