Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Exclamation Madera - *** TIME TO APPLY!!! ***

UPDATE (2015 March 04): removed dead links to out-of-date CGF materials. Here's a link to the sheriff's CCW information webpage:
http://www.madera-county.com/index.p...s-permit-forms

UPDATE (2014 Sept 11): Per my (Paladin) post below (#30), Madera appears to accept mere self-defense (SD) as sufficient Good Cause (GC). See RANDO's posts 36 & 37 as well.

If anyone applies for a CCW using "self-defense" as Good Cause and is rejected for lack of/insufficient GC, please post such here and PM me (Paladin, username link in post #30 below), and I'll revised this OP and the thread title.

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin

Last edited by Paladin; 03-03-2015 at 9:17 PM.. Reason: updated per info in posts below dated 2014 Sept 11
Old 11-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk556 View Post
Come oooonnn madera!!!!

Release those documents
I can't tell you how many people have replied to requests for help in Merced County saying they can't because they're in Madera County...I hope all those folks show up when it's go-time here in Madera!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

i was looking at the madera application and it says that a written test may be taken. what type of info is on the test?
i don't remember reading about this

anyone?
Old 11-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
i was looking at the madera application and it says that a written test may be taken. what type of info is on the test?
i don't remember reading about this

anyone?
Are you talking about a written test for the safety/aptitude qualification? What part of the application process does the written test satisfy?
Old 11-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

on the madera application is says

"At the time of your appointment, you will take a written test, be fingerprinted, and photographed"

Last edited by Blackhawk556; 11-23-2010 at 12:46 PM..
Old 11-23-2010, 2:51 PM
Banned

I'm unfamiliar with the written test requirement and whether or not it's an acceptable requirement. In looking through the Fresno standard op procedures, I don't see anything about a written test.

I'll keep digging, hopefully someone else will chime in soon with a more definitive answer.
Old 11-23-2010, 6:30 PM

I'm good friends with a Madera County deputy and you guys in Madera are worrying for nothing. They are shall issue as long as you pass the background.
Old 11-23-2010, 7:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORCH View Post
I'm good friends with a Madera County deputy and you guys in Madera are worrying for nothing. They are shall issue as long as you pass the background.
Great - then it will be no problem for them to reflect it in their written policy.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
on the madera application is says

"At the time of your appointment, you will take a written test, be fingerprinted, and photographed"

anybody ever found out what the written test mentioned above is about??
Old 12-05-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
anybody ever found out what the written test mentioned above is about??
The written test is a ten question multiple choice test similar to the hsc test. Only it is ccw type questions.

Madera county is shall issue.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORCH View Post
This is true. I have a good friend an RN who carries. He said the process was easy as pie.

Yoda
Old 12-19-2010, 12:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Excellent! Then the Sheriff should simply revise his policy to reflect such and eliminate those sections which run afoul of state and federal law.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-29-2010, 5:57 PM
Veteran Member

It seems no new counties have released their good cause statements in a while. Does (peruta
Old 12-29-2010, 6:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It seems no new counties have released their good cause statements in a while. Does (peruta
Peruta isn't really bearing at all here. The issues with release of applications are those of statute, CBS, Inc. v. Block, and (especially) CGF v. Ventura.

The law enforcement community has circled the wagons and we'll need the win in Ventura to move recalcitrant counties forward (rapidly).

Old 03-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

any progress on madera releasing their accepted statements?
I'm thinking of starting the process in the next several days.
Old 03-20-2011, 1:02 AM

No need madera is one. Of the easyest to get ccw
Old 03-20-2011, 1:09 AM

Same bla ? Can yoou connceal carry in court. Can it be loaded rtr and ccw ect also travel in roural areas were police response/ability to contact police is limited is good enough reason
Old 03-20-2011, 1:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maderashooter View Post
Same bla ? Can yoou connceal carry in court. Can it be loaded rtr and ccw ect also travel in roural areas were police response/ability to contact police is limited is good enough reason
i'm having a hard time understanding this part. can you explain it again?
Old 03-20-2011, 1:17 AM

They ask you blunt obvious questions to cover there *** and get rid of " I didn't. Knjow I couldn't do that "
Old 03-20-2011, 1:19 AM

Such as can you ccw loaded and racked or can u ccw in police station
Old 03-21-2011, 8:46 PM

I don't remember taking a test for madera county,but as stated before they are shall issue.the pre qual course one can take at sun mountain gun club,free of charge,fought by one of the deputies.it's top notch beginner stuff,and the deputy who teaches it is top notch as well.seriously nothing to worry about
Old 10-22-2011, 8:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If you live in Madera county, have a clean record and are breathing, the only reason you do not have a CCW is that you have not applied for it.
Free CCW class every month.
Protection of self and family as just cause.
Minimal fees
There is no excuse in Madera county to not have a CCW
Sat 10AM to 5PM
559-822-4369
I am a US Marine, an active shooter, lifetime NRA, USPSA, ICORE & Calguns member and I own a gun store.
Living the Dream 24x7
Old 10-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerhut View Post
If you live in Madera county, have a clean record and are breathing, the only reason you do not have a CCW is that you have not applied for it.
Free CCW class every month.
Protection of self and family as just cause.
Minimal fees
There is no excuse in Madera county to not have a CCW
Ditto.

Madera County shows a whopping 1,059 active permits; or 9.804 permits per 1,000 adults according to CGF's License to Carry Initiative County map:

Old 01-09-2014, 6:47 PM

Glad this is still up and glad someone sent me a link I never wouldve found it.
Old 06-12-2014, 4:16 PM

The link in the first post is dead. I have a friend in Madera county I was hoping to send this way to help get the process started.

Calguns Contributor

CRPA Member
Old 06-28-2014, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaguy View Post
The link in the first post is dead. I have a friend in Madera county I was hoping to send this way to help get the process started.
If your friend doesn't want to print out the forms, he can go to the Sheriff's office's in Madera or Oakhurst and pick them up. Think the package of forms is free. The Madera County permit fee is comparatively low.

Here is a working link to the page.
Old 09-11-2014, 4:01 PM
Calguns Addict

The forms are free, and can be found here.

The process is ridiculously easy. There was a waiting list for the free class, so I took the paid class at Houlding's, which was still taught by the same Sheriff's LT that approves your license. He flat out told us in class that he would accept "to protect my life and the lives of my family" as good cause, so that's what we should all put on our applications.

I haven't looked at the forms lately, but when I did mine (and that reminds me - renewal is coming up before too much longer!) I was surprised to find that the actual fees that Madera County charges are lower than the fees that were listed on the forms, by a few bucks. The lady that took my forms told me that they'd reduced the fees to the point that would just minimally cover their costs, because they wanted as many people as possible to get the permits.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 09-11-2014, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post
The forms are free, and can be found here.

The process is ridiculously easy. There was a waiting list for the free class, so I took the paid class at Houlding's, which was still taught by the same Sheriff's LT that approves your license. He flat out told us in class that he would accept "to protect my life and the lives of my family" as good cause, so that's what we should all put on our applications.

I haven't looked at the forms lately, but when I did mine (and that reminds me - renewal is coming up before too much longer!) I was surprised to find that the actual fees that Madera County charges are lower than the fees that were listed on the forms, by a few bucks. The lady that took my forms told me that they'd reduced the fees to the point that would just minimally cover their costs, because they wanted as many people as possible to get the permits.
got mine recently form madera and it was extremely easy. Took about a month from start to finish.
Old 09-11-2014, 5:16 PM

I was told by the now retired Sheriff's LT, that only two words were necessary:
Self defense.

Also was told this Sheriff doesn't take any of the money collected. The mandatory minimum fees go to County and State general funds.

These people are aware that they work for Us, not the other way around.

Thanks for posting the link a second time, mine had too many words, but takes you there none the less...

Last edited by JohnCCW; 09-11-2014 at 5:30 PM..
Old 09-11-2014, 5:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The below from the 2nd page of the CCW FAQs .pdf linked at:
Emphasis (bold, underlining, italics) are in the original.

I do NOT understand why the A to the Q continues beyond the underlined and italicized part if mere SD is truly sufficient GC.

Nonetheless, I'll edit the OP and thread title to "TIME TO APPLY!!!".

What is the minimal standard for the Good Cause Statement?

The basic principal that must be articulated is for defense of myself and my family against threats of serious injury or death from an assailant. There are numerous different ways to express this concept, but this is the basis for the “good cause” to issue a CCW. Many people understand, and should articulate, that law enforcement emergency responses may be quite extended in many areas of the county and wish to have a means to protect themselves against crimes of violence, involving a threat of great bodily injury or death, until law enforcement arrives. Many people will have other specific needs for an increased self defense ability, these should be clearly and briefly articulated (ie. owners or employees of businesses who carry large sums of money or valuable equipment; people who are required to travel or work in high crime or rural areas; people with physical impairments that would make it difficult or impossible to defend themselves or escape from an attack).

Last edited by Paladin; 02-16-2015 at 11:13 AM..
Old 09-12-2014, 8:08 PM

Well, I guess it is prudent to list the "official" GC statement verbatim on one's application.
What worked for me nearly 20 years ago could change...
Old 11-21-2014, 12:13 AM

do I have to be a resident of Madera for a certain period of time before applying? I'll be living there as of November 30th, can I apply the first week of December?
Old 11-21-2014, 7:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDO View Post
do I have to be a resident of Madera for a certain period of time before applying? I'll be living there as of November 30th, can I apply the first week of December?
I'd call them up and just ask what are the evidences needed to prove county residence.

You should also ask them if mere "self-defense" is a sufficient Good Cause statement, and if not, will that change once Peruta is finalized. If it is sufficient, you may want to suggest to them that they post that on their web because what they've got there now is confusing and may discourage law-abiding applicants.

Last edited by Paladin; 11-21-2014 at 12:54 PM..
Old 12-19-2014, 6:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I'd call them up and just ask what are the evidences needed to prove county residence.

You should also ask them if mere "self-defense" is a sufficient Good Cause statement, and if not, will that change once Peruta is finalized. If it is sufficient, you may want to suggest to them that they post that on their web because what they've got there now is confusing and may discourage law-abiding applicants.
Did you ever contact them?

What did they say re. the questions/issues I suggested?
Old 12-19-2014, 7:10 PM

Sorry I dropped the ball, I've been really busy with my apprenticeship since moving to Madera county. I'll call the sheriff's office this week and head to the police dept around the corner and get some info to update everyone.
Old 01-20-2015, 6:20 PM

So. I finally called and spoke to the lady that handles the CCW stuff (I don't remeber her name) and asked her if I could apply using the 2014 application still available online, I also asked if there was a minimum amount of time time I had to be a resident of Madera county, and I asked if there was a minimum age requirement. I was told the 2014 application is still good for the 2015 year, they "prefer" you to be resident for at least 6 months and the minimum age is 21. She also said I could go to the DMV and get one of the brown paper cards to use for my new address and that because I began living within the county in the beginning of December that I should still apply and by the time I'm approved i would have lived here for 6 months
Old 01-23-2015, 3:31 PM

So I just spoke to the sheriff's office and asked if self defense was a sufficient enough reason to obtain a ccw permit and I was told I don't need a reason, approval depends on the applicant's background.
Old 01-23-2015, 5:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So I just spoke to the sheriff's office and asked if self defense was a sufficient enough reason to obtain a ccw permit and I was told I don't need a reason, approval depends on the applicant's background.
This is awesome
Old 01-23-2015, 5:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

That's Great! That solves the problem for the vast majority of law-abiding folks in Madera Co.

Next Q: Does "legal to own" a firearm = GMC? Or do they go around asking your employer and/or neighbors if they approve of you getting a permit to carry a "hidden gun"?

I don't live in Madera Co. Where I live, the antis vastly out number Americans who believe in a RKBA or our 2nd A. Not only would they not approve of me (or anyone else) getting a CCW, it could cause friction w/neighbors as well as let them know I've got guns in my home. (Thus, their teenage kids will known, and whoever those kids want to tell will know, and so on it goes until BGs find out.... )

Last edited by Paladin; 01-23-2015 at 6:03 PM..
Old 01-23-2015, 6:56 PM

The sherrif offers 1 free class a month to new applicants instead of having them pay for a ccw course. When the sherrif was running for election his campaign signs had his name and the "J" in his name was an inverted pistol