Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-16-2017, 6:50 AM

Default 11-87 Barrel Damage

I recently bought this Remington 12ga 11-87 Special Purpose Super Magnum on GunBroker and found this damage/wear on the inside of the barrel where it slides into the receiver. What causes this? And do I need to replace the barrel or other parts? I don't see any damage/wear anywhere else inside the gun after a complete tear down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2431.jpg (87.9 KB, 154 views)
Old 01-16-2017, 7:45 AM
Banned

That isn't pretty, but I would ask a gunsmith in person to examine it. That being said, it's behind the chamber. So if it were my barrel, I'd just smooth it out with a file.

BUT AGAIN, YOU SHOULD HAVE A GUNSMITH CHECK IT OUT IN PERSON.
Old 01-16-2017, 8:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Was it new?

That's a non-critical area, I'd just smooth it out. Just be careful not to do anything to the area where the lug engages the barrel.

For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 01-16-2017, 8:19 AM

This was purchased used, so the cause is unknown to me. Since I bought it from GunBroker, I couldn't take a closer look. It does shoot, but I don't like what I see. I'll take it in some time this week or next, just wanted input from people on this forum before I can get it to my gunsmith.
Old 01-16-2017, 3:46 PM
Veteran Member

GunBroker has a 3days inspection period, right?
Old 01-16-2017, 4:50 PM

Possible extraction issue with cheap shells? Maybe. As said, it most likely can be ground & polished out, and not be an issue. Check with aippi to be sure.
Old 01-16-2017, 6:23 PM

I would be concerned before I shot it as the damage is right behind the locking block engagement. Anywhere around that is a critical area. However, since you have fired it and it is locking I guess it would be safe. I would never remove material from anywhere around that area as lock up and even head space issue can occur. I say leave it alone and use it as is. It is not hurting anything is it? So why mess with it?

What I would look at is your locking block. How much damage is there? That is where the risk is and that is what needs to be looked at by a gun smith. If any thing is done to that that area of your barrel extension it should be done by someone who understands the interaction with the locking block. Those two have to lock up to ensure the weapon fires. Some things on a gun just need to be done by or at least looked at by a trained professional and that area is one of them. The gun smith may very well be able to tell what caused it and repair that also. You buff it up nice and you have not solved the issue, only put lip stick on it.

People have posted in good faith on your issue but many have given you bad advice.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunslings.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

Last edited by aippi; 01-16-2017 at 6:29 PM..
Old 01-16-2017, 7:01 PM

[QUOTE=ysr_racer;19508844]That isn't pretty, but I would ask a gunsmith in person to examine it. That being said, it's behind the chamber. So if it were my barrel, I'd just smooth it out with a file.

My 1187 skeet gun has some that looks like that, but no where nearly as bad??
As advised, having a gunsmith look at it or even sending you picture to Remington and see what they say??
Old 01-16-2017, 7:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
I think I would want a definite answer as to how it happened before I just buffed it out and went shooting.
I would want a definite answer on this also. Those markings look a bit rough for some reason. Not normal. Just agreeing with ScottB here.
Old 01-16-2017, 7:08 PM

Thank you all for the help. No damage showing anywhere else, just that one area. The locking block and everything else looks great. I'm taking it to my gunsmith some time soon, just wanted help from you all before then. Thanks again!
Old 01-16-2017, 7:42 PM

This is just my two cents but that looks like the result of one of two things. A shell getting stuck and someone forcing it to eject (slamming the butt on the ground) or someone using unsized reloads causing the shell to mar/gouge the metal. I have personal experience with this. In my case I smoothed it out with wet dry sandpaper then used polishing compound. Shoots just like new.