Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 08-03-2019, 7:42 PM

Default Paperwork to carry on range trips, etc

Hi gentlemen

I know that all of you LEO on this forum have a strong knowledge of the current laws in California. And, i'm sure many of you are aware of fellow LEO that are not up-to-date, or just don't follow the confusing spiderweb of laws and err on the side of caution, etc.

I'm wondering what would be the best paperwork to carry to and from the range, etc for stuff like "freedom week' mags, fixed magazine (registered) AR Pistol and stuff like that.

I realize LEO are not lawyers so carrying confusing Penal Codes will probably not help, and a note from my mom probably won't be sufficient . An officer probably wouldn't be too interested in the Calguns flowchart, etc.

What would be the best paperwork to carry to be reliable, yet easy to understand?

Thanks for your time if you respond, and thanks for your service.
Old 08-03-2019, 7:44 PM

Write your lawyers phone number on a piece of paper so you don't forget it. That's all.

Seriously though, I've never met an officer who was interested in listening to someone tell them how to do their job properly. Usually it just makes the situation worse.

EDIT: My apologies, I realize now that you posted this in the LEO section. I am not an officer and the above is just an opinion. Maybe others with more experience will chime in.

Last edited by BillyMays; 08-03-2019 at 8:53 PM..
Old 08-03-2019, 9:24 PM

I doubt that any paper of any type would help. The place for arguing the law is before a judge, not at a range or beside the road. BTW I am not a LEO.
Old 08-03-2019, 9:28 PM

I guess I should have stated, I'm not talking about arguing or trying to persuade a determined LEO. Just paperwork to show an LEO that was unsure, and open to explanation.
Old 08-04-2019, 8:13 AM
Calguns Addict

If someone is unsure, they already have ways to look it up from trusted sources. While I can not speak for everyone when I was working, I would not have taken any non official paperwork from someone I don't know to help me make a decision.

Some people carry the paperwork for their RAW in the range bag to prove that it's registered, that's all well and fine. I don't with mine because a simple computer check will show it's status also, and if I have to prove to anyone beyond LE that my stuff is legal, well that's not a place I want to be shooting at anyway.

As far as mags go I think they are still going to be an issue for some, and will remain that way until we have a decision one way or the other. At the moment they are still legal to use and possess, but are still considered a nuisance item subject to confiscation and destruction. The best way to be free from LE contact is to avoid drawing attention to yourself.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alland View Post
I doubt that any paper of any type would help. The place for arguing the law is before a judge, not at a range or beside the road. BTW I am not a LEO.
I would think that if a LEO is going to take the time to read a document, it will be one issued by his agency, not something just handed to him or her on the street.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Look at the goofy free traveller morons on youtube. Every one of them hands over paperwork to the cop and says “i need you to read this”.

No cop ever has. You arent going to persuade anyone by handing them paper.

I carry my AW registration and my ccw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 08-05-2019, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

None, they will arrest you if they feel your particular firearm is illegal, regardless of what paperwork you may have. It's up to you to show the court, judge, jury and DA that paperwork at your expense.
A lot of time and energy goes into thinking up ways to make perfectly good rifles into something dumb. Single shot ARs are gay. AR pistols are also gay. Just my opinion, of course, but a single shot AR pistol would be an AIDS cannon.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:25 PM

I printed up the doj to le agency memo .pdf s for the magazines and the update on sb880. I'll throw them in my range bag. Maybe one day they'll help me out, maybe not.
Old 08-05-2019, 2:33 PM

I keep a copy of AW registration in the grip storage of my AR.