Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-19-2017, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Well, well, well. It's about time they even started mentioning CCWs.
They went straight from no mention of CCWs to having a link on their homepage and putting the application process online.
While that is "nice" -- it smooths things out the process -- for the vast majority of law-abiding applicants the insurmountable hurdle is passing the sheriff's Good Cause standard.
With the process being online, maybe some people will see that as a positive change and be willing to apply even with "weaker" GCs and let us know how it goes in case he's also eased back, somewhat, on GC.
Otherwise, usually once every year or two a news source does an article re. CCWs and publishes county issuance stats. If those show a significant increase, that might indicate a liberalization of acceptable GC by SMSO.
Or they figured it was safe to put online, since they'll reject everything
Old 10-20-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gose View Post
Or they figured it was safe to put online, since they'll reject everything
I just clicked on the link and it didnt work. Had to wait for a long time to load.

Last edited by brix; 10-20-2017 at 12:14 PM..
Old 10-20-2017, 8:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brix View Post
I just clicked on the link and it didnt work. Had to wait for a long time to load.
You may want to inform their webmaster of any issues you find. They're usually listed either at the bottom of webpages or under the Contacts webpage.

We want to do everything we can to help them issue CCWs.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 10-26-2017, 1:10 PM
Paid Government Shill
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brix View Post
The link seems to work for me.

https://sanmateoca.permitium.com/ccw/start

I clicked around and the pages all seem to work. Now just waiting to see what the courts decided as I don't think I want to go through all the that with a "Good Cause" that gets rejected.

Waiting patiently . . .
It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream
Old 10-26-2017, 4:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by calif 15-22 View Post
Now just waiting to see what the courts decided as I don't think I want to go through all the that with a "Good Cause" that gets rejected.

Waiting patiently . . .

We lost Peruta and there's no more appeals available.

The Flanagan trial isn't even until early Feb.

Norman asking cert. at SCOTUS now is an Open Carry case.

Nichols on appeal at CA9 in Feb. is also an Open Carry case.

What case/s that might affect SMCSO's CCW GC standard are you waiting for?

Last edited by Paladin; 10-26-2017 at 6:35 PM..
Old 11-11-2017, 8:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Looks like the sheriff has completely overhauled their website:
http://www.smcsheriff.com/

When you put the cursor over "Services" a drop down menu with "CCW" appears. Clicking on that takes you to their online application website:

There it says, "Pursuant to California Penal Code section 26160, each licensing authority will have a written policy summarizing their requirements for issuance of a Concealed Carry Weapon license." Yet I could not find a link to a CCW policy. Perhaps a SM Co resident can get in touch with them and get a copy?

Quote:
For More Information, Contact:

San Mateo County Sheriff's Office

Address:
400 County Center
Redwood City
CA 94063

Telephone: Phone: (650) 599-1662 or (650) 573-2340
Fax: (650) 599-1327
Maybe the sheriff has also liberalized, to one degree or another, the GC requirement too???

Last edited by Paladin; 11-12-2017 at 2:26 PM..
Old 11-12-2017, 12:44 PM

I was denied about 2 years ago for insufficient good cause, and again after an appeal. It was a lot of work making phone calls, going into the SO for interviews, etc.

Do you guys think I should again? I'd be helping them iron out the bugs on their online CCW denial system at minimum, right?
Old 11-12-2017, 2:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eigenstate View Post
I was denied about 2 years ago for insufficient good cause, and again after an appeal. It was a lot of work making phone calls, going into the SO for interviews, etc.

Do you guys think I should again? I'd be helping them iron out the bugs on their online CCW denial system at minimum, right?
It will all depend upon your Good Cause vis-a-vis their Good Cause standard.

I just edited my above post. The website says they're supposed to have a CCW policy which summarizes the process. I could not find it on their website. Best to contact them and get a copy and see if it has any info re. Good Cause. That's a good first step.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 11-22-2017, 1:55 PM

Quote:
I just edited my above post. The website says they're supposed to have a CCW policy which summarizes the process. I could not find it on their website. Best to contact them and get a copy and see if it has any info re. Good Cause. That's a good first step.
I've contacted both sheriffs and left messages multiple times who deals with CCW, they NEVER return calls. IMO, San Mateo, when it comes to CCW, good freaking luck, for now.

Last edited by BZB; 11-22-2017 at 1:57 PM..
Old 12-04-2017, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

Does San Mateo SD still do their own training? The text below is from the web site, but not sure if that's left over boilerplate stuff, or they actually changed their policy?

ETA: Yeah, the web site is incorrect. They still do their own class/qualification.

Quote:
Training Required

If applying for a NEW Concealed Carry Weapon license, an 8-hour firearms training course must be completed prior to issuance.

If applying for a RENEWAL Concealed Carry Weapon license completion of a 4-hour firearms training course is required prior to issuance.

Last edited by gose; 12-06-2017 at 1:12 PM..
Old 12-28-2017, 12:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZB View Post
I've contacted both sheriffs and left messages multiple times who deals with CCW, they NEVER return calls. IMO, San Mateo, when it comes to CCW, good freaking luck, for now.
When was the last time, roughly, when you did this?

What SM Co folk need to do is to form a county level organization like San Diego has in San Diego County Gun Owners PAC.

See: http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/
http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/

They're pushing their sheriff (who's recently started saying he'll issue more CCWs), and incorporated city police chiefs to issue more CCWs.

This organization will also help fight off attacks by antis at the city level. For proof of your need for such an organization, see: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1392134 where the discussion is about how antis stopped a gun store from opening in San Carlos AFTER it was approved!

Anyone can easily start such a group by using Facebook to establish it and get it up to speed (i.e., form core leadership group, gain a base of regular members).

Old 01-17-2018, 9:17 PM
Veteran Member

Heard from a good source that in addition to finger prints, you now need to go down to Redwood City and have your picture taken, so sounds like SM is also leaving the laminated rice paper permits behind.
Old 01-17-2018, 9:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Heard from a good source that in addition to finger prints, you now need to go down to Redwood City and have your picture taken, so sounds like SM is also leaving the laminated rice paper permits behind.
More good news under the new sheriff.

But what I really want to hear is from people who've applied in the last few month, under the new sheriff, to see if he's liberalized issuance at all (i.e., broadened the acceptable GC). And also to find out their attitude towards applicant (encouraging or discouraging?).

Old 02-24-2018, 9:54 PM

Quote:
More good news under the new sheriff.

But what I really want to hear is from people who've applied in the last few month, under the new sheriff, to see if he's liberalized issuance at all (i.e., broadened the acceptable GC). And also to find out their attitude towards applicant (encouraging or discouraging?).
I too have applied in the past and got denied through my GC. Appreciate any inputs from anyone who re-tried applying under the new sheriff. Looking forward to hearing.
Old 02-27-2018, 2:46 PM

Quote:
When was the last time, roughly, when you did this?
I think it was back in 2012-2013. In my county, I feel the cost (about $450) & all are setup as a deterrent to even apply.
Old 02-27-2018, 4:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I think it was back in 2012-2013. In my county, I feel the cost (about $450) & all are setup as a deterrent to even apply.
FWIW, several years ago the law was changed to where IA's can only require minimal fees before getting your GC approved or denied. In SLO, for instance, they'll charge you something like $90, but you get it all back except for $20 if you get denied for insufficient GC.

If you still are in SM Co and still want a CA CCW, you might look into it again. If you do, be sure to let the rest of us know how it goes.

Old 03-29-2018, 4:57 PM

Well, I can confirm that the CCW's being issued now are indeed "credit card" style with a photograph. That's good.

ETA: Merely an administrative detail.

Good things out of the new style:

1. Serial #'s are clearer/more legible.
2. Photo on permit.
3. Permit # is based on the Permitium transaction ID, no more DL.

Bad things about the new style:

1. The notice to peace officers is grey and hard to read, possibly inaccurate.
2. Blanket denial of "commercial airport facility" - unclear if that's a specific condition, or boilerplate, since that blanket prohibition is not what's in the law.
3. A little flimsier than the plastic used for credit/debit cards.

Permitium software is a little buggy on the application side. No fault of the SO, but it makes things slightly frustrating at certain points in the process.
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.

Last edited by edwardm; 03-30-2018 at 10:59 AM..
Old 04-24-2018, 10:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Cross posting this to encourage SM CGNers to push their new sheriff to issue more CCWs.

Quote:
Well, you guys could do what San Diego county folk did and start a county level organization to pressure your sheriff to issue more CCWs by liberalizing his Good Cause (GC) policy. Unfortunately, anti sheriffs seem to only "see the light when they feel the heat" of a viable contender for sheriff.

Ever since last Sept, "hundreds" of members of San Diego County Gun Owners PAC have gotten approved for CCWs, even people who had been previously denied by Sheriff Gore for inadequate GC. That's because a viable challenger, Dave Myers, a gay Dem, was drawing away Gore's conservative supporters by saying he'd accept "self defense" as sufficient GC. Gore responded by liberalizing issuance in an attempt to maintain support among conservatives/GOP/libertarians. In 6 weeks, we'll find out whether he reacted in time....

https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/

Some of the info at the next link is out-of-date. It will be updated soon, with even more good news re. Gore and his new issuance practices!
https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/

If San Mateo gunnies want CA CCWs, you'll have to organize and fight to get them! Form an organization. Start a FB group (easy and free). Pass out fliers at local gun shops, ranges, IPSC/USPDA clubs, IDPA clubs, PPC clubs, etc. to build up membership. LEOs can carry, but ask them to think of their parents/spouse/SO/adult children, would they want a CCW? Be creative and take the initiative. Contact the good folk at SDCGOPAC and ask them for advice. Ask to form a San Mateo branch/chapter. If you do nothing, nothing will change....

Old 04-25-2018, 9:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just wondering if anyone has a recent good/bad CCW experience in San Mateo County to inform my decision before I spend time and money on a fool's errand. ;-)
Old 04-26-2018, 5:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eigenstate View Post

If you can afford to "waste" $93, I would....

Quote:
Things have changed. Bolanos took the helm in August 2016. The application process went online in Oct 2017. We're now almost halfway through 2018. It will only cost you $93 to see if your GC will pass. Can you afford to risk $93 to try to get a 2 year CA CCW? If you get one, renewals are a total of $112.

ETA2: If I'm reading the fee list correctly, if your GC gets approved, the total cost for getting a CCW (incl SMSO's 4 hour training class/range qualification), is only $228!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
Just wondering if anyone has a recent good/bad CCW experience in San Mateo County to inform my decision before I spend time and money on a fool's errand. ;-)
If I'm understanding the fee structure correctly, you'll only be out $93 if you apply and are denied due to inadequate GC.

ETA: Try to provide evidence/support for every assertion in your Good Cause statement, otherwise they may think you're just BSing them. IOW, if you claim to regularly shoot at a range (i.e., at least 1/mo.), provide copies of things like your club membership card, club or range fees, photos of you shooting or competing in a match, etc. If you claim to spend time hiking in wilderness, provide photos of you doing that in seasons throughout the year, and whatever else you think will support your claims. Remember: they don't know that you're a Good Guy. To them, you're just some stranger off of the street who's showed up saying he wants them to sign off on him carrying a hidden loaded gun in public. HELP them issue you a CCW.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-27-2018 at 4:44 PM..
Old 04-26-2018, 8:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Things have changed. Bolanos took the helm in August 2016. The application process went online in Oct 2017. We're now almost halfway through 2018. It will only cost you $93 to see if your GC will pass. Can you afford to risk $93 to try to get a 2 year CA CCW? If you get one, renewals are a total of $112.
Im pretty sure it was $93 before the online process as well.
Old 04-26-2018, 9:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Im pretty sure it was $93 before the online process as well.
I just added the below to that post:

Quote:
ETA: If I'm reading the fee list correctly, if your GC gets approved, the total cost for getting a CCW (incl SMSO's 4 hour training class/range qualification), is only $228!
Is that also what it was before the online process?

Last edited by Paladin; 04-27-2018 at 9:48 AM..
Old 04-27-2018, 11:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anyone have an example of a "good cause" that might pass muster?

I assume the fact that I generally feel unsafe with wackos running around is not enough. :-)
Old 04-27-2018, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
Anyone have an example of a "good cause" that might pass muster?

I assume the fact that I generally feel unsafe with wackos running around is not enough. :-)
I wouldn't want to run into people like Diane Feinstein, Kevin De Leon, etc., unfortunately, having those wackos out there is not enough for a GC.
Old 04-28-2018, 6:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just added the below to that post:

Is that also what it was before the online process?
No, it was less, but I dont remember the exact number.
The renewal was definitely quite a bit less too, $60-ish ($25(?) to the state and $35(?) to the SMSD)

Last edited by gose; 04-28-2018 at 10:05 AM..
Old 04-28-2018, 11:13 PM

Default Deputy Mark Melville for San Mateo County Sherriff 2018 - Pro CCW?

Deputy Mark Melville for San Mateo County Sherriff 2018 - Pro CCW?

See interview audio , starts at 11m:20s. Pro CCW-ish? But vaguely supports more restrictions on "asssualts weapons" because "bad guys cant have more fire power than law enforcement officers on the street". Pretty sure LEO run semi-auto ARs w 30 rnd magazines. fair fight. but whatever.

audio clip:
https://www.coastsidebuzz.com/mark-m...and-memorials/

LAW ABIDING SAN MATEO COUNTY RESIDENTS WANT THEIR CCW PERMITS, DAMMIT!

I think voting for him is a better option than current Sheriff Carlos Bolanos, on the CCW issue at least..

screen shots from Mark Melville candidacy facebook:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (45.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (72.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-29-2018, 12:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudConservativeinCA View Post
Deputy Mark Melville for San Mateo County Sherriff 2018 - Pro CCW?

See interview audio , starts at 11m:20s. Pro CCW-ish?
and ends re. CCWs at 12:20, but then he gets into AWs and his opposition to them. He says the most questions he gets from community members is in re. to CCWs. He claims when he was a CoP he never denied a CCW permit, but doesn't say how many he actually issued, or in what cities he was a CoP during his career. Also, he doesn't say anything re. what he would accept as sufficient GC.

Quote:
But vaguely supports more restrictions on "asssualts weapons" because "bad guys cant have more fire power than law enforcement officers on the street". Pretty sure LEO run semi-auto ARs w 30 rnd magazines. fair fight. but whatever.

audio clip:
https://www.coastsidebuzz.com/mark-m...and-memorials/
I don't recall hearing about Mark Melville previously even though the audio clip at the bottom of that webpage is from last August and the one you posted was from last Oct 30th.

There's no mention of CCWs, guns or the 2nd A on the "Issues" page of his campaign website: https://melville4sheriff2018.com/the-issues

A .30-'06 is more powerful than either a 5.56 or 7.62NATO. Is he for banning .30-'06s? .300 Win Mags? .338 Win Mags? Anything more powerful than .223/5.56??? Or what about "sniper rifles" (aka hunting/target rifles with scopes) -- guns that can hit at greater distances than patrol rifles? He's placed himself (and maybe the county if elected), on a slippery slope.

Quote:
LAW ABIDING SAN MATEO COUNTY RESIDENTS WANT THEIR CCW PERMITS, DAMMIT!

I think voting for him is a better option than current Sheriff Carlos Bolanos, on the CCW issue at least..
Have you tried applying under Bolanos? If so, how'd it go? If not, why not? It only cost you $93 to find out if your GC passes muster.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-29-2018 at 12:53 PM..
Old 05-09-2018, 8:23 AM

Melville’s stance on 2A.
https://youtu.be/WBpsJXKLMpM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2018, 9:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel View Post
Melville’s stance on 2A.

Wow, that was surprisingly pro-CCW for being in the Bay Area.
Old 05-09-2018, 9:44 AM

It initially sounds promising but the more he talks, the more unsure I am.

The main issue is good cause. It sounds like he will be more transparent about denials and "work with you". But will the criteria for good cause change at all? What does he think of the current requirement?

He may very well be "for concealed carry" for those who have extensive good cause. If that's the case, what do we gain?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

It can't really get worse than what it is now, so even though this guy isnt the pro-gun sheriff we'd all want, the risk of him tightening things up even more seems pretty close to zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devious21 View Post
It initially sounds promising but the more he talks, the more unsure I am.

The main issue is good cause. It sounds like he will be more transparent about denials and "work with you". But will the criteria for good cause change at all? What does he think of the current requirement?

He may very well be "for concealed carry" for those who have extensive good cause. If that's the case, what do we gain?

Old 05-09-2018, 12:47 PM

That may be a fair assessment. If all else being equal then sure, how much worse could he really be?

Old 05-13-2018, 9:14 AM

Now he has answered it on his site. I think he has earned my vote!

Quote:
Q: Where do you stand on CCW permitting and allowing California/SMC residents to exercise their second amendment right? Also where do you stand on the current laws prohibiting gun owners and gun stores to exercise their second amendment rights?

A: Thank you for the question. I support the 2nd Amendment. What I don't like is the bad guys having bigger fire power than the good guys, me. So I do Support the registration of assault type weapons. As for CCW's, I am also a big supporter. As you are aware, all CCW's are for self defense. The application asks for a "Good Cause" reason to support said request. I can assure you my team will work with applicants to ensure a positive Good Cause reason is adopted to support the application.

If an application is denied, the applicant will be given the reason why, no BS reason. This way, a denied applicant will have the opportunity to correct the deficiency and resubmit.

Also, I believe gun owners and store owners should be able to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights. I hope this answers your issues, Thanks for your support and vote!!
Source: https://melville4sheriff2018.com/faqs
Old 05-13-2018, 10:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Melville’s stance on 2A.
Here it is embedded:

Source (emphasis added in quote): https://melville4sheriff2018.com/faqs
Quote:
Q: Where do you stand on CCW permitting and allowing California/SMC residents to exercise their second amendment right? Also where do you stand on the current laws prohibiting gun owners and gun stores to exercise their second amendment rights?

A: Thank you for the question. I support the 2nd Amendment.
What LEO, much less a CLEO, who are sworn to uphold the Constitution, incl the BoR, will say they're against the 2nd A? This is NOTHING.

Quote:
What I don't like is the bad guys having bigger fire power than the good guys, me.
WTF does "bigger fire power" mean??? A .30-'06? A .300 or .336 Win Mag? A 7mm Rem Mag? Is it bore diameter? mv? KE? What???

What "good guys, me" mean? Law-abiding citizens? SWAT? LEOs w/AR in their patrol vehicle? A cop walking a beat with only a hicap 9mm and 2 reloads? A .223 bolt gun is "bigger firepower" than that!

Or is he talking capacity??? We already have a ban on "high capacity" mags (>10 rnds), so what's he talking about? Is he saying he supports that ban?

Quote:
So I do Support the registration of assault type weapons.
Color me (not) shocked.... The ONLY function of registration is as a required first step to confiscation.

How does registration of AWs keep BGs from having "better"/"bigger" firepower than LE? If someone is a BG (convicted felon, let's say), they're already banned from ownership and even possession of ANY firearm, so registration of a newly bought AW does NOT affect them. Disarming GGs does not stop BGs.

So far, he sounds like the typical CA CLEO who wants a "police state" where the People can be oppressed by using just the police, no need for even the military....

Since what we really care about in this forum is CCWs, I'll cut this apart.

Quote:
As for CCW's, I am also a big supporter. As you are aware, all CCW's are for self defense. The application asks for a "Good Cause" reason to support said request.
So far, he's said NOTHING....

Quote:
I can assure you my team will work with applicants to ensure a positive Good Cause reason is adopted to support the application.
Here is the ONLY "meat" in this entire statement and it does NOT say ANYTHING re. what GC standard HE will require. He's saying if he becomes sheriff, he'll have his "team" try to help you to strengthen your GC statement. PERIOD!!! NOTHING about whether the average law-abiding SM Co resident will be able to meet that standard. NOTHING re. whether YOU will have to PROVE a present, REPORTED threat against you/your family currently exist. NOTHING re. any heightened risk you face MUST be because of your work or occupation. NOTHING to even suggest that "self defense" or "personal protection" will be sufficient GC if you pass the GMC and background checks.

Quote:
If an application is denied, the applicant will be given the reason why, no BS reason. This way, a denied applicant will have the opportunity to correct the deficiency and resubmit.
This is NOTHING that isn't REQUIRED by law. Years ago, they could just say "Denied" and that was that. But then 5 - 10 yrs ago -- when we/they also changed it so that the IA could not require you to pay for, take and pass training before deciding re. your GC -- the law was changed to where the IA had to articulate specifically why you were denied.

This is what politicians do: they make you walk away thinking you got something (good) while in fact they've given you NOTHING but talk.

While I'm sure he sees himself as a patriotic American standing up for our 2nd A rights while balancing it against public safety and "officer safety", and the needs of the "thin blue line" holding back anarchy and violence, to me he sounds like the typical CLEO: "a politician with a gun and a badge."

It's too late now for the June primary, but what you guys needed was for some of you to apply with Bolanos and let the rest of us know how the process went and whether you got issued. The only reason for not doing that was the risk of getting a denial for lack of/insufficient GC on your record (of no consequence) and the loss of $93. But none of you did that and now you're flying blind as you vote for who will be sheriff for the next 4 years, who will determine whether any of you can defend yourselves in public for the next 4 years.

All because none of you wanted to waste $93....

I thought SM Co had some "middle class" (LOL!) neighborhoods (Hillsborough, Atherton, Portola Valley, Woodside) where gunnies might be able to afford to waste $93, but I guess not....

Last edited by Paladin; 05-13-2018 at 11:12 AM..
Old 05-13-2018, 11:36 AM

I did apply for CCW under Bolanos. initial app submitted 11/2015. 12/17/15 Livescan. 9/2016 turn down

I thought I had a strong compelling “enhanced” GC regarding my business. Had supporting documents to back up my GC.

It wasnt just a plain need for self defense though.

Still no go. Gonna roll the dice with Melville and try again in fall.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I did apply for CCW under Bolanos. initial app submitted 11/2015. 12/17/15 Livescan. 9/2016 turn down

I thought I had a strong compelling “enhanced” GC regarding my business. Had supporting documents to back up my GC.

It wasnt just a plain need for self defense though.

Still no go. Gonna roll the dice with Melville and try again in fall.
Well, glad to hear someone stepped forward under Bolanos. Sorry to hear he's an anti. Every time there's a new sheriff, we hope for improvement.

Has anyone gotten issued a CCW from Bolanos? If so, what was your GC like?

I wouldn't dismiss Melville entirely. Someone just should contact Melville and ask him specifically those issues I raised re. CCWs: will he issue when there's no documented and reported present threats and no work/occupation heightened risk? (I don't live in SM Co. Don't expect me to do your work for you.)

Old 05-13-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't dismiss Melville entirely. Someone just should contact Melville and ask him specifically those issues I raised re. CCWs: will he issue when there's no documented and reported present threats and no work/occupation heightened risk? (I don't live in SM Co. Don't expect me to do your work for you.)
Thanks Paladin. I don't expect you to do our work for us but I do appreciate everything you do on Calguns and what you've done so far. Maybe you can look this over before I send it. I've already grabbed much of language so far but what do you think? Is this clear/direct enough?

Quote:
Deputy Sheriff Melville,

The issue that concerns me and many other law abiding gun owners in San Mateo county is whether we and our loved ones will ever be able to obtain a CCW for self defense.

Your FAQ mentions the following:
"I can assure you my team will work with applicants to ensure a positive Good Cause reason is adopted to support the application"

Does this mean "self defense" or "personal protection" will be sufficient Good Cause if we pass the GMC and background checks? Or will we need to show that we have a "heightened risk" due to our occupation or have to PROVE that a present, REPORTED threat against us/our family currently exists?

This is a crucial distinction for us. Concerned and law abiding gun owners are awaiting clarification before we make our decision in June and will be looking to hold you to your promises.

Thank you,

<name>
Old 05-13-2018, 2:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks Paladin. I don't expect you to do our work for us but I do appreciate everything you do on Calguns and what you've done so far. Maybe you can look this over before I send it. I've already grabbed much of language so far but what do you think? Is this clear/direct enough?
Here are some slight edits. Be sure he's currently a Deputy Sheriff. (Can't recall, won't look into it, but just make sure of it. )

Quote:
Deputy Sheriff Melville,

The issue that concerns me and many other law abiding residents in San Mateo county is whether we and our loved ones will be able to obtain a CCW for self defense.

Your FAQ mentions the following: "I can assure you my team will work with applicants to ensure a positive Good Cause reason is adopted to support the application"

Does this mean "self defense" or "personal protection" will be sufficient Good Cause if we pass the Good Moral Character and background checks? Or will we need to show that we have a "heightened risk"? Will that heightened risk have to be due to our business or occupation?

Alternatively, will we have to prove that a present, reported threat against us/our family currently exists?

The ability to protect ourselves while in public is a vital issue to many San Mateo residents. We eagerly await clarification of your position before we casts our ballots, either via the mail or in person.

Thank you,

Last edited by Paladin; 05-13-2018 at 4:19 PM..
Old 05-13-2018, 4:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
On the chance that Melville is more pro CCW than Bolanos, you/someone needs to start a SM Co pro CCW organization. Use FB group if you want, or just contact people active in this thread.

You need to ID every local gun store, every shooting range, every IPSC/USPSA club, every IDPA club -- on the bay side and on the ocean side -- ahead of time so that if Melville is pro CCW, you'll have people in place ready and waiting to leave fliers for customers there (having already gotten owner's approval). These can either be Melville's campaign literature and/or fliers you've made up on your own with word processor and copied at FedEX/Kinkos/UPS.

People may visit a gun shop only once per month and you don't want to miss them.

Mail in ballots cut the time you have even more.

Remember the antis in SM Co stopped that approved gun store from opening up in, IIRC, San Carlos just a few months ago. They're active in SM Co!

Last edited by Paladin; 05-13-2018 at 4:29 PM..
Old 05-13-2018, 5:45 PM

Thanks. Sent the revised version out. We'll see what he or his camp comes back with.