Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 02-19-2019, 6:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Recommend me an alternative to GMAIL.

I would like to move my emails away from google.

I'm hoping to hear some good alternatives for an email client.

Thanks
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
OP you are an uninformed tool.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 02-19-2019, 6:23 PM

Protonmail

Robert
Old 02-19-2019, 6:38 PM

Whatever you get, it will cost money. Not a bad thing, just depends on what you want.
Old 02-20-2019, 4:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Just make all your purchases using an e-mail that isn't tied to your devices...
Don't use your real name for your device Gmail account, and don't use Chrome, or Safari (AFAIK not possible to open links from iPhruity e-mail client via any other browser by just tapping link in e-mail on Apple devices, unless something recently changed), and NEVER login to Chrome with a Gmail account... only Firefox Private, as it does not appear to remember anything in this mode, "Chrome remembers".
Old 02-20-2019, 4:13 AM
S/360 Changed The Game
CGN Contributor

Pay for 2 domain names and email accounts from a provider like GoDaddy.

If you can get FirstnameLastname.com use it only for family, friends, trusted companies.

Then get SomeName.com and use that for everything else. Change the name@ part every time you use it on a website or company. Like nra@somename.com or calguns@somename.com. You set the account as a catch all account so you get all the different xxxxxx@ values delivered when you collect mail.

This allows you to give unique email addresses to websites, companies, etc. Easier to see if a company releases/sells its email list.
Old 02-20-2019, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder2003 View Post
Pay for 2 domain names and email accounts from a provider like GoDaddy.

If you can get FirstnameLastname.com use it only for family, friends, trusted companies.

Then get SomeName.com and use that for everything else. Change the name@ part every time you use it on a website or company. Like nra@somename.com or calguns@somename.com. You set the account as a catch all account so you get all the different xxxxxx@ values delivered when you collect mail.

This allows you to give unique email addresses to websites, companies, etc. Easier to see if a company releases/sells its email list.
^^^ This.

Having your own domain(s) gives you a lot of control over your email and my wife and I do pretty much the above.

I set mine up like this: work email addy is for colleagues, patients, hospital contact. Public addy 1 is for trusted sites and forums. Public addy 2 is for web sites that require registration in order get info, one-time web site purchases, etc. This one gets changed once a year or so. Private email is just that - family and close friends. All are easily managed through Outlook. I still filter some mail through Google though, just because I've had a gmail account for various things since way back.

Just something to consider - I never got spam calls or true junk email until after I bought my primary house here in Texas. Public record and all that. We've bought two rental properties since then so I created a temporary email and use a prepaid cell phone to file the real estate deals. Spam and other crap messages seem to have been cut way down over the last 4 years I've done this.
Old 02-20-2019, 6:43 PM

I use Outlook.com which is Microsoft's web mail service and it's free. The interface is light years better than Gmail, it's very similar to the O365 interface and integrates nicely with Outlook if you have MS office. You can create as many accounts as you want.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanakasan View Post
Protonmail

Robert
I second this. Go proton.
Old 02-27-2019, 1:02 AM

Hotmail is quite good recently years but it is used heavily for spamming. so forum registration could be banned in default for some websites. leave this aside, it is a good option
Old 02-27-2019, 2:10 AM

Protonmail .ch seems very good so far here.
Old 02-27-2019, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFancyPants View Post
I use Outlook.com which is Microsoft's web mail service and it's free. The interface is light years better than Gmail, it's very similar to the O365 interface and integrates nicely with Outlook if you have MS office. You can create as many accounts as you want.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Another vote for Outlook. I have one address for my business and one with myname. I open the application and both mailboxes are always visible.

"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire
Old 02-27-2019, 3:06 AM
Veteran Member

Hotmail is also free and works well...
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 03-03-2019, 8:57 AM
Loose Cannon Factory
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFancyPants View Post

Gmail sucks! I think the fact that it wants to fill your inbox with "social", "promotions" and other crap is enough to keep me from using it.

I like outlook (hotmail, live, msn, etc) as well. I like the way outlook sorts your inbox into 'focused' and 'other' figuring out smartly what you want to read--or are likely to read from other the "other crap" you don't read without having 3 or 4 tabs like gmail does.

I also like how easy it is with outlook to set up filters / rules for incoming emails; you can direct them to easy to set up folders, or have sweeps of emails after you don't read them. I just think all of the set ups in outlook are easier to do.

Use the free outlook version along with firefox and adblocker and it is a way better experience than gmail IMHO.

THE LAW OF RETALIATION
Leviticus 24:19–21 "an eye for an eye" (עין תחת עין‬, ayin tachat ayin)