Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 05-08-2013, 2:14 PM

Question Dedicated Open Steel Challenge Gun vs USPSA Open Gun

Okay guys... First off I do not know if I should be posting this in here or in California Handguns and Mods please feel free to move to wherever it belongs.

I am a competition noob, but am eager to jump into it as soon as my schedule frees up. I am interested in shooting Steel Challenge, Limited, and Open.

I do understand that production is a good place to start as well, but these three divisions are what I want to shoot in.

My questions are:
1) What is the difference between a 9mm gun that would be dedicated for Steel Challenge Open and a 9mm gun dedicated for USPSA Open? Only difference I can find checking here and on Brianenos is the difference in the recoil spring weight. I understand you'd be using a Minor PF for Steel and a Major for Open.

2) So if I were to be building a Steel gun, how would this loadout look?

Glock 17
Melted Trijicon RMR
Lightened Slide
12lb Recoil Spring
Grip Work

3) Should I add a compensator or get the barrel ported? I have read a lot about how compensators play almost no role with minor PF, but recently I have read a lot about how compensators do help with Minor PF and this makes more sens to me cause most all Steel Challenge Open pro's use comps on their guns.

4) What would be the big difference between the current loadout I am looking at and an USPSA Open loadout?

Thanks guys!
Old 05-08-2013, 3:19 PM
Banned

You are way, way, way overhead your head already. And there is no real way to explain what you asking so that it is understandable to a newbie without causing more questions and meaningless surfing. You need to learn how to fly a J3 Piper Cub before jumping into an F22 Raptor. Fortunately, however, you live close enough to Piru to find out for yourself. Go to their matches, tell the match director you a newbie and are interested, and let them show you how the Challenge runs versus Speed Gun versus USPSA (no longer at Piru but they all know the differences). You don't say what handguns you have or what experience, so your best bet is to start Steel Challenge with a Ruger 22/45 in 5" and learn how to shoot. Competition is about shooting quickly and accurately, and no about making a bunch of modifications to a gun. After a few dozen matches you will have figured out what is best for you.

By the way, there is no such term as 'loadout' in competition. It's just gun and gear. Now what is your load? That means what bullet weight and type, powder, primer, case and overall length that you reload. Keep in mind Open guns run super hot hand loads to get the compensators working right.

Last edited by HighLander51; 05-08-2013 at 3:30 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 3:33 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
You are way, way, way overhead your head already. And there is no real way to explain what you asking so that it is understandable to a newbie without causing more questions and meaningless surfing. You need to learn how to fly a J3 Piper Cub before jumping into an F22 Raptor. Fortunately, however, you live close enough to Piru to find out for yourself. Go to their matches, tell the match director you are interested, and let them show you how the Challenge runs versus Speed Gun versus USPSA (no longer at Piru but they all know the differences). You don't say what handguns you have or what experience, so your best bet is to start Steel Challenge with a Ruger 22/45 in 5" and learn how to shoot. After a few dozen matches you will have figured out what is best for you.
Thanks for the insight! and I mean no disrespect, but I already have a 17 with the loudout mentioned above without the compensator or ported barrel. I don't really want to buy a Ruger 22/45 just to "learn to shoot". I would much rather shoot with what I have. I am planning on going out to Piru to watch a few matches to get a feel for everything and grasp the basics, but since I don't have time at the moment I can just keep reading So if you are so kind, would you please try to explain the advantages/disadvantages for a compensator on a steel gun vs a ported barrel? If not, thats cool too lol
Old 05-08-2013, 3:48 PM
Banned

Since you already have a G17, just run in it the Challenge or USPSA. Ok, ports are just vectored holes in the barrel, there is a slight reduction in muzzle flip but not recoil, and the exit velocity is reduced. You can run ported barrels with Walmart ammo at around 1,100 fps. A compensator is designed to reduce recoil and muzzle flip thru a series of precisely machined chambers that cause the gun to recoil straight back, but it takes hot handloads to make them run along with spring weight tuning. Open 9mm major has a 115 gr bullet going over 1,435 fps to make the floor. A Glock running USPSA Major 9mm Open has a very reduced run life due to the very high velocities and you pretty much have to load new brass each time. That's why you see most people running STI's. In fact if I ran the loads of the Open STI Major 9mm guys I squad with thru my Open G17L it would risk blowing it up.

The difference between USPSA is the power floor is 165,000 for major, and for the Challenge is is 120, which makes it really tricky to get the comp working.

Also everyone thinks shooting a dot is really cool, but it takes about 5,000 first shots to get even close too comfortable with it.

The easiest way to understand the Challenge is that the steel only needs to be hit, it doesn't have to fall, where in USPSA the steel must fall, and there is a difference in scoring between minor and major power floors.

Last edited by HighLander51; 05-08-2013 at 4:31 PM..
Old 05-08-2013, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Since you already have a G17, just run in it the Challenge or USPSA. Ok, ports are just vectored holes in the barrel, there is a slight reduction in muzzle flip but not recoil, and the exit velocity is reduced. You can run ported barrels with Walmart ammo at around 1,100 fps. A compensator is designed to reduce recoil and muzzle flip thru a series of precisely machined chambers that cause the gun to recoil straight back, but it takes hot handloads to make them run along with spring weight tuning. Open 9mm major has a 115 gr bullet going over 1,435 fps to make the floor. A Glock running USPSA Major 9mm Open has a very reduced run life due to the very high velocities and you pretty much have to load new brass each time. That's why you see most people running STI's. In fact if I ran the loads of the Open STI Major 9mm guys I squad with thru my Open G17L it would risk blowing it up.

The difference between USPSA is the power floor is 165,000 for major, and for the Challenge is is 120, which makes it really tricky to get the comp working.

Also everyone thinks shooting a dot is really cool, but it takes about 5,000 first shots to get even close too comfortable with it.

The easiest way to understand the Challenge is that the steel only needs to be hit, it doesn't have to fall, where in USPSA the steel must fall, and there is a difference in scoring between minor and major power floors.

Thank you very much for taking your time to help a noob!!! Very much appreciated Just one last question and that being: I understand compensators have a much greater affect on Major Loads due to the slow release powders and the gas dispersion, but then why do Steel Challenge pro's use compensators for their minor loads? I have read that compensators really do help even with minor loads (On Brian Enos) and that is why they are used on Steel Guns. If this is so... since I already have so much invested in my glock already, wouldn't it be better to just invest in the compensator as well?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 PM

You can just build another slide for the specific type of competition you want to compete in.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank15 View Post
You can just build another slide for the specific type of competition you want to compete in.
Yeah I do get that, but.... I kind of realllyyyy want a dedicated gun for each division I would compete in.

1 for Limited
1 for Steel
1 for Open

So my question still is... is adding a compensator now worth it for my steel gun even though it will be running a Minor PF <140.
Old 05-09-2013, 5:31 AM
Banned

So my question still is... is adding a compensator now worth it for my steel gun even though it will be running a Minor PF <140. If this is so... since I already have so much invested in my glock already, wouldn't it be better to just invest in the compensator as well?

Yes, it will help, that's why Open class allows comps. It could help 1% to bump a Master to Grand Master. Will it help a newbie? No, not compared to learning how to shoot and finding the dot, especially in USPSA, where the stages are different each time and going fast is about transitions. And the cost of a new threaded barrel and comp, plus playing with loads and springs, the last thing a new shooter needs is gun problems. And if you run Open in USPSA, you will be allowed to use 170mm magazine extensions (plus 10 in a G17), so save your money for that. You will still be Open minor.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
So my question still is... is adding a compensator now worth it for my steel gun even though it will be running a Minor PF <140. If this is so... since I already have so much invested in my glock already, wouldn't it be better to just invest in the compensator as well?

Yes, it will help, that's why Open class allows comps. It could help 1% to bump a Master to Grand Master. Will it help a newbie? No, not compared to learning how to shoot and finding the dot, especially in USPSA, where the stages are different each time and going fast is about transitions. And the cost of a new threaded barrel and comp, plus playing with loads and springs, the last thing a new shooter needs is gun problems. And if you run Open in USPSA, you will be allowed to use 170mm magazine extensions (plus 10 in a G17), so save your money for that. You will still be Open minor.
Well that is why I meant for a dedicated steel gun. I thought for steel challenge you're not really running and gunning? Also, from what I was reading... many were saying that you can run factory ammunition with a compensator for a steel gun running a minor PF and so I wouldn't have to play with loads myself, maybe just find a factory load that works best with my gun and a reliable spring weight. Is this not true?

Again I would be fully dedicating this gun to Steel and I will definitely practice finding the dot

a gun for Open would be a separate topic.

Thank you!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Banned

Steel Challenge only has one stage that has a tiny bit of movement, hopping really. Yes, there are probably lots of shooters running factory ammo and working the comps, but you won't know until you work it out. My comment was you don't want to be dealing with that after the beep...
Old 05-09-2013, 3:35 PM

Do you know anyone who runs factory ammo (aside from the custom reloaders that build ammunition to your specification)?
Old 05-09-2013, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Steel Challenge only has one stage that has a tiny bit of movement, hopping really. Yes, there are probably lots of shooters running factory ammo and working the comps, but you won't know until you work it out. My comment was you don't want to be dealing with that after the beep...

Thanks for all your input. I think I'll try running the gun without, see how it feels and then later on get it added on if anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmca View Post
Do you know anyone who runs factory ammo (aside from the custom reloaders that build ammunition to your specification)?
Personally? No. People on other forums claim to use factory ammunition with comps for Steel Challenge such as WWB and etc.
Old 05-09-2013, 3:45 PM

For recommendations:
1. Be prepared to start reloading, if you don't already.
2. Get a car that gets good mileage
3. Work on your draw, anything below 1.4 seconds from beep to first hit is good.
4. Get the rimfire, it's inexpensive and you'll probably end up shooting rimfire division if you shoot open.
Old 05-09-2013, 3:53 PM

Quote:
For recommendations:
1. Be prepared to start reloading, if you don't already.
2. Get a car that gets good mileage
3. Work on your draw, anything below 1.4 seconds from beep to first hit is good.
4. Get the rimfire, it's inexpensive and you'll probably end up shooting rimfire division if you shoot open.
haha thanks, but I will definitely stick to 9mm because that is what I want to shoot.

I am definitely going to get into reloading once I move somewhere with more space.

and my only question really was whether I should get a comp for a steel gun shooting 9 minor or not. Thank you though!
Old 05-09-2013, 4:45 PM

All of the pro’s use compensators because they are looking for that final 1/10 of 1% advantage that it may give you. All gun modification combined affect your final time by 1%, maybe 2% at the most.

You can spend thousands of dollars on a gun and not see any improvement if you don’t have your fundamentals down. I usually place in the top 40 to 50 percent (overall) in club level Steel Challenge events, so my speed and accuracy is decent, but far from the best. Even though my times are only decent, I routinely shoot faster with my stock 45 then many people with their custom $3k 9mm. The gun does not make you shoot fast or accurate, experience and proper fundamentals do.

I can assure you that your first competition is going to be a humbling experience! That is not a knock at you, it is just a universal truth. Ask anybody who has shot competition about their first time and you will see a grin come over their face along with a head shake remember how humbling it was! Don’t get me wrong, it is a ton of fun and I highly recommend it, but it highlights your week points. Just get out with whatever you have now, and do it. After doing a few of these events, you will see your week points and see where you can shave off time; I promise you that the gun set up will be low on the list.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian5271 View Post
All of the pro’s use compensators because they are looking for that final 1/10 of 1% advantage that it may give you. All gun modification combined affect your final time by 1%, maybe 2% at the most.

You can spend thousands of dollars on a gun and not see any improvement if you don’t have your fundamentals down. I usually place in the top 40 to 50 percent (overall) in club level Steel Challenge events, so my speed and accuracy is decent, but far from the best. Even though my times are only decent, I routinely shoot faster with my stock 45 then many people with their custom $3k 9mm. The gun does not make you shoot fast or accurate, experience and proper fundamentals do.

I can assure you that your first competition is going to be a humbling experience! That is not a knock at you, it is just a universal truth. Ask anybody who has shot competition about their first time and you will see a grin come over their face along with a head shake remember how humbling it was! Don’t get me wrong, it is a ton of fun and I highly recommend it, but it highlights your week points. Just get out with whatever you have now, and do it. After doing a few of these events, you will see your week points and see where you can shave off time; I promise you that the gun set up will be low on the list.
Very well said!!!

"I see an empty magazine, I think it needs to be loaded." -hickok45
Old 05-10-2013, 6:06 AM
Banned

Didn't I tell him that in my first post? You need to learn how to fly a J3 Piper Cub before jumping into an F22 Raptor.

But if you believe the gun makes the shooter, then here is the hot setup for a Glock, course it costs a few thousand $$$

CCF aluminum race frame with 1911 grip angle, gets rid of the flexing inherent in OEM Glock frames.

Caspain Arms G34 slide, custom milled and slotted to minimum wall thickness to reduce weight and increase cycle speed.

BarSto gunsmith fitted barrel, finish chamber reamed to your exact Steel load.

SJC compensator and magwell

GlockWorx Fulcrum trigger, as close to a 1911 trigger as it can get.

SJC micro dot mount, attaches to frame

Cmore STS dot

Titanium striker and safety plunger

Punisher inspection plate

Custom made Limcat Speed holster and mag pouches

CR speedbelt

170mm Taran Tactical magazine extensions

IPSC shooting Jersey covered in product endorsements

Mirrored sunglasses

And you can only run Montana Gold 115 grain JHP bullets with Vihtavouri N320 Powder in brand new Starline brass loaded on a Dillon 1050 with automatic bullet feeder

Last edited by HighLander51; 05-10-2013 at 6:36 AM..
Old 05-10-2013, 7:57 AM

Yes the comp will help, a little, even using minor power factor ammo. For a Glock using minor PF ammo you will want to use as light a comp as you can find. You also can go with a hybrid type barrel, they work really well in Glocks for shooting steel. if you are going to mount the red dot directly to the slide make sure you end up with a slide weight the same or preferraly less the the orginal slide weight. Lots of people use factory 9mm ammo for shooting steel, I do and it works just fine. For most people it is cheaper to reload but factory ammo works just fine.

Last edited by Bob Hostetter; 05-10-2013 at 10:14 AM..
Old 05-10-2013, 8:17 AM

Quote:

Yes, thank you. I am expecting to be humbled and will definitely go into it humble not show up thinking I'm tough like some A**hole. I do not think I am a great shooter or anything like that. I just love firearms and want to get into shooting competitions so that I can do more of what I love with an actual goal to get better in mind. The fact that the compensator helps even 1-2% for a pro is all I wanted to know. No offense, but honestly this thread was not a question as to how a competition experience feels like... I am going to go to matches to watch, observe, and learn. I was merely asking if a compensator would work properly with a minor PF. Your first sentence answered that so thank you!

Quote:
Didn't I tell him that in my first post? You need to learn how to fly a J3 Piper Cub before jumping into an F22 Raptor.

But if you believe the gun makes the shooter, then here is the hot setup for a Glock, course it costs a few thousand $$$

CCF aluminum race frame with 1911 grip angle, gets rid of the flexing inherent in OEM Glock frames.

Caspain Arms G34 slide, custom milled and slotted to minimum wall thickness to reduce weight and increase cycle speed.

Cmore STS dot

CR speedbelt

Mirrored sunglasses

And you can only run Montana Gold 115 grain JHP bullets with Vihtavouri N320 Powder in brand new Starline brass loaded on a Dillon 1050 with automatic bullet feeder
K3WL M4N!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hostetter View Post
Yes the comp will help, a little, even using minor power factor ammo. For a Glock using minor PF ammo you will want to use as light a comp as you can find. You also can go with a hybrid type barrel, they work really well in Glocks for shooting steel. if you are going to mount the red dot directly to the slide make sure you end up with a slide weight the same or preferraly less the the orginal slide weight. Lots of people use factory 9mm ammo for shooting steel, I do and it works just fee. For most people it is cheaper to reload but factory ammo works just fine.
THANK YOU! you actually answered my question... You are the best!!
Old 05-10-2013, 8:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Cmore STS dot

CR speedbelt

Mirrored sunglasses

too much sarcasm,, jeez

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA, GSSF, Richmond Rod & Gun, Sunnyvale Rod & Gun

Old 05-10-2013, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

We will be shooting tomorrow at Norco Running Gun in Corona. If you want to tag along... We will be leaving Santa Clarita by 7am. So you can have a taste of your first USPSA match.

Old 05-10-2013, 9:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Cmore STS dot

CR speedbelt

Mirrored sunglasses

Haha... That's it!! That list is complete OP. You will make GM with this set up in a month...

Old 05-10-2013, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyk View Post
Yes, thank you. I am expecting to be humbled and will definitely go into it humble not show up thinking I'm tough like some A**hole. I do not think I am a great shooter or anything like that. I just love firearms and want to get into shooting competitions so that I can do more of what I love with an actual goal to get better in mind. The fact that the compensator helps even 1-2% for a pro is all I wanted to know. No offense, but honestly this thread was not a question as to how a competition experience feels like... I am going to go to matches to watch, observe, and learn. I was merely asking if a compensator would work properly with a minor PF. Your first sentence answered that so thank you!
I did not mean to imply that you would. My biggest push is, just get out and shoot a match with whatever you have now. You will have fun and be hooked for life! I have shot the steel challenge with my M&P 45, SA 1911 in 9mm, my Browning Buckmark 22, and most recently my Ruger GP 100 revolver; They were all a ton of fun to shoot with!

Having a compensator may indeed help with lighter loads, and if you want to have one then by all means get one. Customizing your gun to your taste is a big part of the fun. The point I am trying to make is don’t wait until your gun is perfect before shooting a match. Just do it. You will meet friendly people, have fun, and get new ideas of how you want to customize your gun.

One last thing; If you are like me and enjoy shooting steel targets (I love hearing the DING!) The Deadwood Boys out in Piru put on an Action Pistol event twice a month. This event is kind of a hybrid event that features all steel targets of different kinds; Moving targets, poppers, lollypops, rotating stars, spinners, pendulums, and they are in cool stages where you have to shoot through windows and around barriers as you run the course. Friendly people and a day of shooting, lots of fun! Here is a link if you are interested; http://www.deadwoodboys.org/ If you search youtube for Deadwood Boys Action Pistol, you will find lots of videos of this event.
Old 05-10-2013, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdad View Post
We will be shooting tomorrow at Norco Running Gun in Corona. If you want to tag along... We will be leaving Santa Clarita by 7am. So you can have a taste of your first USPSA match.
Wow thanks for the kind offer! I really appreciate it, but till the end of this month I won't have time on weekends. I will definitely take you up on the offer one day soon though!

Quote:
I did not mean to imply that you would. My biggest push is, just get out and shoot a match with whatever you have now. You will have fun and be hooked for life! I have shot the steel challenge with my M&P 45, SA 1911 in 9mm, my Browning Buckmark 22, and most recently my Ruger GP 100 revolver; They were all a ton of fun to shoot with!

Having a compensator may indeed help with lighter loads, and if you want to have one then by all means get one. Customizing your gun to your taste is a big part of the fun. The point I am trying to make is don’t wait until your gun is perfect before shooting a match. Just do it. You will meet friendly people, have fun, and get new ideas of how you want to customize your gun.

One last thing; If you are like me and enjoy shooting steel targets (I love hearing the DING!) The Deadwood Boys out in Piru put on an Action Pistol event twice a month. This event is kind of a hybrid event that features all steel targets of different kinds; Moving targets, poppers, lollypops, rotating stars, spinners, pendulums, and they are in cool stages where you have to shoot through windows and around barriers as you run the course. Friendly people and a day of shooting, lots of fun! Here is a link if you are interested; http://www.deadwoodboys.org/ If you search youtube for Deadwood Boys Action Pistol, you will find lots of videos of this event.
Oh yeah I took no offense. I was just saying I don't want to be a big know-it-all at the matches haha. Piru is actually where I was planning to watch some matches and get some info My glock is actually getting done by GW Since I don't have time to attend any matches at the moment I am just going crazy on my gun haha
Old 05-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Banned

Bob the Zen Master has spoken. So it is said, so it shall be written...

Old 05-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prc77 View Post
too much sarcasm,, jeez
Did I forget something? Oh course, racing shoes!
Old 05-10-2013, 11:11 AM

One other gun accessory that you will absolutely want for steel challenge is at least five magazines. You don’t want to be the guy holding up the group while you reload for each string at a stage. My first time doing a steel challenge I only had three mags, and I had to stand there and reload between the strings. Luckily I was with a nice group of people ended up helping me out by reloading my empties as I shot the next string.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
One other gun accessory that you will absolutely want for steel challenge is at least five magazines. You don’t want to be the guy holding up the group while you reload for each string at a stage. My first time doing a steel challenge I only had three mags, and I had to stand there and reload between the strings. Luckily I was with a nice group of people ended up helping me out by reloading my empties as I shot the next string.
Thanks! I will definitely do that and get some Taran Tactical basepads too bad I don't see any 170mm ones
Old 05-10-2013, 3:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyk View Post
Thanks! I will definitely do that and get some Taran Tactical basepads too bad I don't see any 170mm ones
That's too bad, Taran's are the coolest looking magazine extensions, plus they have his name on them.... Taylor Freelance makes 170mm's for plus 10 of 9mm. But you only need 5 rounds per string in the Challenge.

Old 05-10-2013, 3:21 PM

Quote:
That's too bad, Taran's are the coolest looking magazine extensions, plus they have his name on them.... Taylor Freelance makes 170mm's for plus 10 of 9mm. But you only need 5 rounds per string in the Challenge.

Yeah I have seen the Taylor Freelance basepads and yes I literally choose the Taran;'s because they are the coolest looking. These extensions would be use interchangeably between my glocks for different competitions. I would only buy 1 170mm and the rest 140mm.
Old 05-10-2013, 4:00 PM

For challenge shooting, you don't need more than 10, if you do, your round is toast anyway.

Big sticks are a little over rated, IMHO, I've only used mine a couple of times. It's pretty rare that there isn't a good place to reload on a USPSA course of fire.
Old 05-10-2013, 4:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
For challenge shooting, you don't need more than 10, if you do, your round is toast anyway.

Big sticks are a little over rated, IMHO, I've only used mine a couple of times. It's pretty rare that there isn't a good place to reload on a USPSA course of fire.
I've shot the Steel Challenge with my Kahr CW9 from appendix concealment, it only holds 7 caps per stick, and I only have 5 sticks.
Old 05-10-2013, 4:17 PM

You ought to try it with a j frame snub Smith...keep an extra in your teeth
Old 05-10-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
You ought to try it with a j frame snub Smith...keep an extra in your teeth
My last time I used my Ruger GP100. It puts a whole new spin on things when you only have six rounds per string!
Old 05-11-2013, 3:45 AM

If you shoot with HKDAD he will let you squeeze a couple rounds off on his sweet infinity... THAT IS A HUMBLING EXPERIENCE! Hahahahahahaha!
Old 05-11-2013, 5:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Did I forget something? Oh course, racing shoes!
And a matching Water Bottle! Maybe a Go-Pro camera?

I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Secret Club Member?.
Old 05-11-2013, 8:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Dedicated Open Steel Challenge Gun vs USPSA Open Gun
1) Build a gun for SC minor
2) Shoot same gun in USPSA w/minor scoring
3) Shoot all A's.
4) Non-issue.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonb. View Post
If you shoot with HKDAD he will let you squeeze a couple rounds off on his sweet infinity... THAT IS A HUMBLING EXPERIENCE! Hahahahahahaha!
LoL Jon! That is how I got you hooked! Haha.. Happy Moms day to your wifey!

Old 05-12-2013, 12:41 PM

One thing I would caution against is a dot sight on the slide. A friend of mine had ZEV build him an Open Glock and it has ruined three RMRs. Two times the dot circuitry went out and another time the actual glass on the HUD cracked.

For the Learned Rifleman
Old 05-12-2013, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerNo1 View Post
One thing I would caution against is a dot sight on the slide. A friend of mine had ZEV build him an Open Glock and it has ruined three RMRs. Two times the dot circuitry went out and another time the actual glass on the HUD cracked.
Interesting that you say that... I actually am getting my rm07 milled into my slide through ZEV .. LOL hope that does not happen to me or I at least hope trijicon will stay true to their warranty