Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Permit/License To Carry Training Classes & Experiences
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Permit/License To Carry Training Classes & Experiences Discuss Concealed Carry Permit/License classes here.

Old 05-25-2011, 9:43 PM

Default Florida CCW training

It seems I see a lot of classes that offer training for a Florida CCW with NO RANGE TIME.

Please look at this post:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=437102

Which is correct???
Old 05-26-2011, 8:54 AM

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

I don't see a shooting requirement in hunter safety either but that is also acceptable.
Why don't you just call and ask?
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/contacts/index.html
Old 05-27-2011, 10:52 AM

Well I decided to call and ask.
After an extreme wait over 2 days, I finally got a call back from a supervisor (since regular staff was as unsure as the rest of us).

I believe the gentleman's name was "Marion". Don't know if it was first or last, but since that was John Wayne's given name, it seems appropriate for a firearms guy

The short answer is NRA type instructors need to observe their students firing a gun. There is no qualification, round count, etc. but as actual law is written it should be done.
There is however, no one checking and no actual mechanism in place to make sure it's being followed. He's hoping (and suggesting) the Legislature, rulemakers, etc. clarify it.
The gist of it is that they want to make sure folks can actually shoot a gun if they need to.

Personally, I'd sure hate to see all the fine reciprocity go away because instructors want to dance around the issue.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Asked and Answered

This was in another very long post....As stated before...Most of my students meet the exemption for live-fire. If they do not have any proof of prior training or experience, I have them do the California CCW Range Qual immediately following the class.

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—

(2) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall issue a license if the applicant:

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by ANY one of the following:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;
Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor
CCW USA FIREARMS TRAINING
www.CCWUSA.com
"like us" on Facebook for class discounts
www.facebook.com/CCWUSA