Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-21-2013, 8:09 PM
Veteran Member

I just can't believe people were actually paying these prices for things. $1.00 a round? I thought it was a sick joke at first.

I remember *****ing about 9mm being at $11.00 a box..
"Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."
Old 03-21-2013, 8:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRai2001 View Post
Econ 101 should meet psych 101.. Of course people have the right to charge whatever they want.. Heck people can do a lot of things. But many of us will remember the people/LGS that kicked us and sold out when times were ruff and those that had integrity and were fair during hard times. The fair people/LGS will continue to get my business and my recommendation to friends.
The man has a point. Integrity is hard to come by now adays.

But i guess being a scumbag is in some people's DNA.
"Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."
Old 03-21-2013, 8:18 PM
Veteran Member

Even though most prices here on Calguns are high, I still browse the WTS area hoping to find a good deal, they are out there ( I bought a set of dies from a fellow CG for only $30 the other week! ). So anyway, I came across this ad tonight and just had to laugh at the prices for the plated bullets.

Sad, just sad.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=729384

OBTW, not whining...I have my stock pile!
Old 03-21-2013, 8:22 PM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.1904 View Post
The man has a point. Integrity is hard to come by now adays.

But i guess being a scumbag is in some people's DNA.
I personally only sell stuff to buy something else so why would I sell low and then buy something else at an inflated price?
Old 03-21-2013, 8:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer77 View Post
I personally only sell stuff to buy something else so why would I sell low and then buy something else at an inflated price?
Never said you would. Fair market price is fair market price.
Old 03-21-2013, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRai2001 View Post
Econ 101 should meet psych 101.. Of course people have the right to charge whatever they want.. Heck people can do a lot of things. But many of us will remember the people/LGS that kicked us and sold out when times were ruff and those that had integrity and were fair during hard times. The fair people/LGS will continue to get my business and my recommendation to friends.
95% of gunowners on this forum are hobbyists and basically we're buying toys for ourselves. As I'm told it hasn't been easy running a gun shop in California, and certainly these gun shops are not charities, they are FOR PROFIT businesses. No one is "kicking you" and there is no such thing when "times are rough" - come on you make it sound like you are buying food and water for your starving family. Gun shops are a for profit business and you're shopping for your toys.

And if you really want to talk about psychology related to business the reality is that there are VERY FEW gun stores in Cali due to high barriers to entry. These stores can *** rape their customers on price all day long and while some guys will ***** out loud, some will grumble under their breath, but the customers willing to pay top dollar will keep on coming. Maybe they'll lose your business - but in the end the reality is they are pricing high and you are complaining then they don't need your business.

My buddy owns an automotive business catering to mostly exotic modifications. His labor rate is OBSCENE and if he doesn't like someone he just doesn't take on their car. He's booked for months. My other buddy is an owner/partner of a few nightclubs all over the world the ones that are the most profitable are the ones where he *** rapes his customers the most, and I'm talking $1.5k+ bottle service for a $125 bottle of of scotch. Lines out the door. Many venues have terrible reviews online, complaining about prices, bouncers being dicks, etc. etc. etc. Yet he's sold out every weekend... Go figure.

We're all hobbyists and it's a pay to play hobby. ***** and whine if you must, but in capitalism you charge what your customers are willing to pay and most customers have very short memories.

Last edited by gh429; 03-21-2013 at 8:37 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 3:06 AM

What about fellow CalGunners selling in the marketplace?
They probably bought their stuff at much lower prices and are now asking for high prices.
$450 for an AR lower??.
$1,300 for a Sig 1911??

Why don't we start putting price controls in the CalGuns Marketplace??!!
$50 tops for stripped lowers.
$70 for complete lowers.

Violators will be banned from CalGuns for life

How well would would this policy work?? How many people would sell their lowers?
What if I was willing to pay these prices but CalGuns didn't allow me to pay up? Well, let's officially register the transaction at $50 on Calguns with the help of a moderator. Then I'll slip you $400 under the table of which $50 would go to the Calguns mod.
Great, now we have an underground market....it didn't help control prices one bit at all. It just created corruption and poor transparency of the actual "market clearing price" (the price at which buyers and sellers are willing to transact).

"A retreat by the United States from Vietnam would be a Communist victory, a victory of massive proportions and would lead to World War III"
- Richard Nixon, May 1966:
Old 03-22-2013, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitdown View Post
What about fellow CalGunners selling in the marketplace?
They probably bought their stuff at much lower prices and are now asking for high prices.
$450 for an AR lower??.
$1,300 for a Sig 1911??

Why don't we start putting price controls in the CalGuns Marketplace??!!
$50 tops for stripped lowers.
$70 for complete lowers.

Violators will be banned from CalGuns for life

How well would would this policy work?? How many people would sell their lowers?
What if I was willing to pay these prices but CalGuns didn't allow me to pay up? Well, let's officially register the transaction at $50 on Calguns with the help of a moderator. Then I'll slip you $400 under the table of which $50 would go to the Calguns mod.
Great, now we have an underground market....it didn't help control prices one bit at all. It just created corruption and poor transparency of the actual "market clearing price" (the price at which buyers and sellers are willing to transact).
Well I m not for these outragous prices... but I do think people should ask for and pay whatever price they think is fair. Its upto the buyer to educate themselves on what is a fair price and how much above fair price are they willing to pay. When it comes to the vendors on CGN... we should all remember which ones were the reasonable ones during this frenzy/panic and which took advantage of their customers and limit your future business with them.

Only thing I can think of is just leave people bad Itrader feedback if you think they re not being fair.??
Old 03-22-2013, 9:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernchaos View Post
I believe a case is "a container designed to hold or protect something".
Yes but there are universally-accepted quantities for such nouns.

A pack of cigarettes is 20.
A carton of eggs is 12 or 18.
And a case of ammunition is 1000.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:12 AM

I wonder if you guys said the same thing when the housing market was booming.

... I know your house is worth $500K. Can I buy it for what you got it for at 200K?

Just saying.

IYAOYAS
Old 03-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

I'm all for people making money. Just glad I was able to start my evil disease before the panic.

But I must say, some of ads in the market place are way out of reality, especially for the fancy stuff. I saw a FN model that was worth more than my car
Old 03-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomedic View Post
I'm all for people making money. Just glad I was able to start my evil disease before the panic.

But I must say, some of ads in the market place are way out of reality, especially for the fancy stuff. I saw a FN model that was worth more than my car
LOL. The one asking for 10K?

Sent from iPhone
Old 03-22-2013, 3:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm switching to black powder, so I just need to hoard percussion caps.
Old 03-23-2013, 1:48 AM

It's the ammo background check doesn't pass then we may get hit with a 25% ammo tax as backup...ammo hoarding is a safe investment
Old 03-23-2013, 7:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolgrip Pump View Post
I had no way of being prepared considering I just got started in this hobby. Maybe I've got it wrong. That's just what it seems like to me.
I just got into shooting last September, so I feel your pain. I am not happy about the situation now, but I don't blame anyone other than myself for taking so long to get into firearms. However, you can be sure that both you and I will be far more prepared the next time a gun drought comes around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gau17 View Post
I wonder if you guys said the same thing when the housing market was booming.

... I know your house is worth $500K. Can I buy it for what you got it for at 200K?

Just saying.
Excellent point here also. Friend of mine has the nicest '72 Nova SS I've ever seen; should he sell it for what it was worth in 1972, or should he sell it for what it's worth now in the marketplace, which is comprised of people who have the means and the will to pay as they see fit? If he sells it for anything more than it was worth in 1972 does that make him a gouger, a greedy capitalist and just an over-all jerk?

I don't always save the world, but when I do, it's in 24 hours or less...

Last edited by myk; 03-23-2013 at 7:27 AM..
Old 03-23-2013, 4:15 PM
Calguns Addict

define whine on;

You know what I really hate about the last 6 months? It was difficult to get 124gr. FMJ bullets in 9mm to reload for my production gun. I had to use up the last box of 1000 bullets from Precision Delta, then I began to eat into my inventory of 4000 coated bullets from Berry's. Then I was lucky and found 4 boxes of coated black bullets from Precision Bullets in my storage room that I forgot about, but these were only 500 bullets per box and they were 125gr. I ended up changing powder from Winchester 231 to Blue Dot since I had bought 1 lb of Blue Dot in a group buy, and had to save my W231 until I can get Precision Delta bullets again. I only have one 4-lb can left, so I better make it last. I don't know how long this ammo craze is going to last, but I hate all those people who hoard bullets, powder, and primers so I can't buy new stuff and have to eat up some of my inventory. Those hoarding bast@rds should be shot.

define whine off;