Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Generalize much? Wow, you really are ignorant about marijuana, I guess I should feel the same way about alcohol, except that not only does it bring people down, it also causes them to get in fights and beat their wives or girlfriends. Go back to watching Reefer Madness, you probably believe that too.
Is your first hand experience with being a pothead better than his?
Old 12-18-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
So do you think occasional alcohol use is a good reason to deny someone the right to defend themselves in public?

You said previously that your opinion is based on current friends aged 23-60 and your kids. I'm going to assume that some of those people are users of marijuana. So are the lives of those who use marijuana inherently worth less than the lives of those who do not?
Geez, you are tenacious...
Again, my opinion as a U.S. citizen is,
A. alcohol is clearly a serious and potentially dangereous drug. However, alcohol leaves the system far faster than marijauna, and it is currently legal, so yes I am less concerned about alcohol than marijuana when it comes to firearm use or carry.

B. "So are the lives of those who use marijuana inherently worth less than the lives of those who do not"
Answer: Obviously not. We all make choices, owning guns and smoking pot are both choices. My opinion is if you choose to smoke weed you open yourself to potential limitations in firearm carry. If you choose to carry a firearm you open yourself to potential limitations in the drugs you use.
Proof being that if it did exist we would all most assuredly be dead

NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER
Old 12-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorthair View Post
Geez, you are tenacious...
Again, my opinion as a U.S. citizen is,
A. alcohol is clearly a serious and potentially dangereous drug. However, alcohol leaves the system far faster than marijauna, and it is currently legal, so yes I am less concerned about alcohol than marijuana when it comes to firearm use or carry.

B. "So are the lives of those who use marijuana inherently worth less than the lives of those who do not"
Answer: Obviously not. We all make choices, owning guns and smoking pot are both choices. My opinion is if you choose to smoke weed you open yourself to potential limitations in firearm carry. If you choose to carry a firearm you open yourself to potential limitations in the drugs you use.

A. Then there is a difference between alcohol and marijuana in your mind, contrary to what you've previously stated. Are you're ok with just the limitation that you cannot consume alcohol while carrying?

B. And who gets to decide what those limits are, and by what right?

The intoxicating effects of marijuana dissipate fairly rapidly, certainly completely in less than 24 hours. The chemical that remains in your system is a metabolite of THC, it is a byproduct of the metabolization of the intoxicating compound in marijuana and has no intoxicating properties it's self. If a test is developed that can measure the actual level of THC in your bloodstream and correlate that to a specific level of intoxication what would your opinion be? Would you be OK with a restriction that is similar to the one printed on my CCW "NOT VALID IF CONSUMING ALCOHOL OR REMAINING AT ANY ESTABLISHMENT THAT PRIMARILY SERVES ALCOHOL"?

as far as my tenacity, my entire childhood we were encouraged to debate our opinions, backed up by facts, by my parents. My family loves a good argument.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I don't smoke pot, but don't care what anyone else chooses to do as long as it doesn't affect me in a negative way. I am sure there are many legitimate medicinal and therapeutic uses for the substance.

The problem as I see it currently is that it is largely illicit/illegal in most places, creating demand and a high potential for profit. The ordinance in my county has created a haven for those who wish to grow medicinally, although many ignore the rules and grow large quantities for profit.

Due to greed, there are those who are willing to go to any lengths - including murder - to obtain that pot and/or the cash obtained from it's sale.

This is affecting the safety of citizens in this area and people keep turning up stabbed, shot, missing or dead. It is getting out of hand.

I think anyone growing or otherwise in possession of pot around here that doesn't carry a gun is a fool. That goes for their neighbors as well, because the crooks don't always get the address right, nor do they care who may be within range when they start shooting.
Old 12-18-2013, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
A. Then there is a difference between alcohol and marijuana in your mind, contrary to what you've previously stated. Are you're ok with just the limitation that you cannot consume alcohol while carrying?

B. And who gets to decide what those limits are, and by what right?

The intoxicating effects of marijuana dissipate fairly rapidly, certainly completely in less than 24 hours. The chemical that remains in your system is a metabolite of THC, it is a byproduct of the metabolization of the intoxicating compound in marijuana and has no intoxicating properties it's self. If a test is developed that can measure the actual level of THC in your bloodstream and correlate that to a specific level of intoxication what would your opinion be? Would you be OK with a restriction that is similar to the one printed on my CCW "NOT VALID IF CONSUMING ALCOHOL OR REMAINING AT ANY ESTABLISHMENT THAT PRIMARILY SERVES ALCOHOL"?

as far as my tenacity, my entire childhood we were encouraged to debate our opinions, backed up by facts, by my parents. My family loves a good argument.
You represent your family well.
In regard to alcohol in one of my previous posts, in my haste, I stated that "alcohol was not different'. I should have specified that it is not different because it too is a serious drug that should be used very cautiously around firearms. I had a young cop at my house during a party recently and he was asked if he carried a gun off duty. He responed that normally he does but he doesnt carry when he knows he will be drinking at all. This is a pretty common sense way to look at it in my opinion. I have no ideas on how to determine acceptable levels of intoxication other than ANY intoxication is too much when carrying a firearm. I would think we can agree that if you use a gun in self defense, any intoxicant in your system ,regardless of the amount, would look bad in court or in the newspaper.

NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by Shorthair; 12-18-2013 at 1:32 PM..
Old 12-18-2013, 1:36 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it should be done. If someone has a CCW, it's probably a good idea to leave the gun behind if his plan is to get ****housed.
Old 12-18-2013, 1:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Generalize much? Wow, you really are ignorant about marijuana, I guess I should feel the same way about alcohol, except that not only does it bring people down, it also causes them to get in fights and beat their wives or girlfriends. Go back to watching Reefer Madness, you probably believe that too.
Most people do not drink to get drunk in fact the vast majority of people that drink alcohol don't get drunk. Can you say that the vast majority of marijuana smokers don't smoke to get stoned and in fact don't get stoned.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 12-18-2013, 2:05 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
Most people do not drink to get drunk in fact the vast majority of people that drink alcohol don't get drunk. Can you say that the vast majority of marijuana smokers don't smoke to get stoned and in fact don't get stoned.
This is a point that many people who compare the two fail to realize. I have a couple beers 2-3 times a week but I have not been drunk in years.
Old 12-18-2013, 2:06 PM

Quote:
I was making a stupid generalization post like his. Sorry, I should have put some emotion icon or something to show I was being silly.

I don't care who drinks what or how much.
Old 12-18-2013, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer77 View Post
Is your first hand experience with being a pothead better than his?
What my experience is, is irrelevant, what he is doing is generalizing just like the anti's do stating that all gun owners are crazy.

When a person generalizes based on their personal experience with a number of people, they are just showing their ignorance, just like the anti gun folks.
Old 12-18-2013, 2:20 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
What my experience is, is irrelevant, what he is doing is generalizing just like the anti's do stating that all gun owners are crazy.

When a person generalizes based on their personal experience with a number of people, they are just showing their ignorance, just like the anti gun folks.
How long have you been a pothead?
Old 12-18-2013, 2:25 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Yea, who smokes pot without the intention of getting stoned? That seems pointless.

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 12-18-2013, 2:27 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Yea, who smokes pot without the intention of getting stoned? That seems pointless.
Maybe they just like the taste?
Old 12-18-2013, 2:28 PM

Quote:
This seems a fair question to me. If I am generalizing based on my personal experience I will plead guilty. However, if you have solid first hand experience to base your opinions on I would consider it of value here. The assumption is already there that you are a pot head due to your stated positions and the manner in which you have presented them so no great surprise if your answer affirms the assumption.

NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER
Old 12-18-2013, 2:30 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
Really? This whole time I thought Obama was part of the Choom Gang at Punahou to cure his glaucoma.

Quote:
I was making a stupid generalization post like his. Sorry, I should have put some emotion icon or something to show I was being silly.

I don't care who drinks what or how much.
Sure buddy...you might want to go back and read what you wrote. Most people aren't that specific when "being silly" and "making a stupid generalization" .
Old 12-18-2013, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Ms patients, people with degenerative nerve disorders. Chemo patients.

When i received mine, they asked where i work etc. Don't you think they would ask your friend?
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:

In before the: "I'm not a pothead, I'm just speaking for all my doctor and lawyer and stockbroker friends that smoke pot and are super successful and stuff."

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 12-18-2013, 2:36 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBrooklyn View Post
Ms patients, people with degenerative nerve disorders. Chemo patients.
True, but you are dealing with people that have conditions sufficiently debilitating where I'd suggest that they ought not carry a gun.
Old 12-18-2013, 2:37 PM
Administrator

This has long drifted away from the LTC topic.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Closed Thread