Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 04-13-2011, 9:56 PM
Banned

Question LF LEO Suggestions on how to deal with school that wants us defenseless...

RE This thread; http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=420821

A few questions come to mind,

1. Do campus cops have any increased powers on campus property that a normal LEO would not have on random public property?

ie: Compelling you to ID yourself without having reasonable suspicion that you have committed a crime? Perhaps under the justification that only enrolled students can be on campus grounds?

Connected question would be, are community college campus' considered public or private property?

~~

2. Regarding the carry of mace/stun gun/taser, what do you think of the LEO response I got via email when I asked last month?

Email conversation here @

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1&postcount=14

~~

Bottom line is that I would like for myself and my g/f to be able to carry taser/mace/stun gun at a minimum.

On top of my looking into this last month, now there has been a sexual assault on campus in the parking lot...

How do you think we should pursue this?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:04 PM

as stated in the other thread, civil lawsuit towards the college district. They don't provide enough security or police services (no agency can without breaking the county or other financial backer) and they actively prohibit you from defending yourself if they do in fact prohibit everything under the sun.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:05 PM

short term answer is do what you have to do to stay alive. as the popular phrase goes, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. If the college district does kick the person out and the lawsuit goes well, future tuition may be a non issue.
Old 04-14-2011, 7:09 AM

Easier to ask forgiveness than permission, say for example someone tries to assault GF and she maces them. It would make one hell of a stink pickle if they tried to kick her from school for protecting herself with a less than lethal device. If they really wanted to do that, I'd be looking for a new school.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

Community colleges, public schools, and such are called public property but that does not equate to full and free public access however you want to access it. It actually means publicly FUNDED property, not public property. Don't believe me, try getting free, unfettered access to other public properties such as courts, government offices, police stations, and certain parks with closing times.

You can be charged with trespassing and evicted from said public property.

In any event, I believe it is a human right and a law of nature that you have to defend yourself. Self-preservation is an instinct and that's all there is. Nobody should have to be put at a disadvantage to defend oneself.

That's my $0.02... soon to be $0.01 after April 15th.
Old 04-15-2011, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
Community colleges, public schools, and such are called public property but that does not equate to full and free public access however you want to access it. It actually means publicly FUNDED property, not public property. Don't believe me, try getting free, unfettered access to other public properties such as courts, government offices, police stations, and certain parks with closing times.

You can be charged with trespassing and evicted from said public property.

In any event, I believe it is a human right and a law of nature that you have to defend yourself. Self-preservation is an instinct and that's all there is. Nobody should have to be put at a disadvantage to defend oneself.

That's my $0.02... soon to be $0.01 after April 15th.
Why do you get to keep 50%? Sounds to like you are not paying your fair share to Nobama!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 7:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo8 View Post
Why do you get to keep 50%? Sounds to like you are not paying your fair share to Nobama!!!
I get to keep 1 penny because I have a good accountant.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I wanted to respond to the OP with maybe a altered mindset.

I am not defenseless even if I am naked in the shower. I will fight with body or any other tool and win. I will train and remain proficient with body and tools. I will fight and win no matter what happens to my body. I am situational aware and if not on duty, will defuse and avoid any fights that I can. If I am in, I am 100% in until my foe(s) is dead or no longer a threat.
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.