Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:05 PM
Head Janitor

Default NRA Needs Help in So Cal

The NRA is asking for 'boots on the ground' type help in the So Cal mountains, if you hike, mountain bike, camp or recreate in any way in the areas mentioned below please contact Paul Payne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Paul Payne View Post
“Volunteers needed to aid in a scientific study conducted by the NRA. This study will need soil and paint samples from various sources at the top of peaks within the wilderness throughout Southern California (in the Los Padres National Forest of Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and Ventura counties) and in Central California near Big Sur and Carmel (in Monterey County). Volunteers must be able to partake in a strenuous hike, between 8 and 12 miles round trip with as much elevation gain as 3000’, while carrying a backpack to hold scientific equipment and sample containers (no more than 30-40lbs). These sites may require the use of ATV’s in order to reach them. Volunteers must have meticulous record keeping abilities as well as a familiarity with GPS and camera devices. Detailed sampling protocols, as well as directions and equipment, will be supplied to volunteers after interest in this study is shown. Volunteers will be coordinating closely with scientists from the NRA as they sample and hike to these sites in order to ensure accuracy of sampling, as well as aiding the volunteer with any questions or directions they may need in order to locate the sites and comply with the scientific protocol. Thank you very much for your interest, and aid in helping this important scientific study.”

I have been asked recruit some volunteers for this project. It will not be a sexy/attention-grabbing effort. But the results of your sample gathering tasks will be extremely valuable to the NRA's efforts for a long time to come.

Please consider this request carefully. This is not something that is a good fit for everyone. And if you volunteer to complete this task, we will be counting on you to follow through.

Thank you for your consideration.

Paul

Edit: If you would like to volunteer for this project, please contact me at < nrausmc@earthlink.net >. I am not able to log onto the forums often, so I might not see your response if you post it here.

The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 05-08-2013, 9:54 AM
CGSSA Associate

C'mon guys, NRA still needs volunteers for the following sites:

National Forest, approximately 40 miles southeast of Monterey, CA. The shortest route to this peak is using the Santa Lucia trail from the Memorial Park. This trail is 6.2 miles one way, with roughly 4000' of elevation gain. The GPS location for this site is (-121.420807, 36.146082).
* Site # 5: Smith Mountain: Located within the Los Padres National Forest, approximately 15 miles southwest of Coalinga, CA. This site is at the end of the Smith Mountain Lookout road (which is gated). The elevation is approximately 3600', and no hiking trails are apparent. Access may require permission from the landowner who gates the Smith Mountain Lookout road. The GPS location for this site is (-120.595931, 36.078882).
* Site #6: Anderson Peak Observatory: Located off of Highway 1 (just south of Big Sur/Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park), on a private road called Coastal Ridge Road. This road is behind the Ventana Inn. The road is vehicular(for those with permits) and hiking only, no biking or horses. It is 13.5 miles from the beginning of Coastal Ridge Road to the Anderson Peak Observatory. The site itself is likely gated and locked up, so photographic evidence of any trash/contaminants would be needed in lieu of samples. GPS location of this site is (-121.642897, 36.180874).

We've gotta have someone close by.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

I'm 8 hours south of it. Would do it if I could, but way to far to go on my own dime.

"Yo buddy, you still alive?" -Larry "Pixy" Foulke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
XenosAce, San Diego's finest drunk wrasslin' tranny 'snatchin security guard.
Old 05-21-2013, 2:12 PM

Sounds awesome but I'm in SD
Old 05-24-2013, 1:55 AM
Veteran Member

Can you please elaborate what these soil samples and such will be used for, in particular with the NRA???? I'd like to know beforehand what I'm being used for.

Thanks.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 05-24-2013, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
Can you please elaborate what these soil samples and such will be used for, in particular with the NRA???? I'd like to know beforehand what I'm being used for.

Thanks.
I talked with Don Saba today. I'll keep the details out of public view, but if you consider the locations, and certain threats to the shooting and hunting sports, it should all add up pretty quickly.

FWIW I'm boots on the ground tomorrow morning for one of the sites and I sure as hell don't feel like I'm being used. It's a different angle to the whole activism thing, but it's a good angle.
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 05-24-2013, 4:25 PM

I had responded in the other thread about this, I sent Paul 2 emails and have not heard back.
If you guys are still looking for Volunteers in SoCal who can hike/backpack please let me know.
Old 06-18-2019, 8:24 PM

Are they still looking for volunteers?
Old 06-19-2019, 3:08 PM
CGSSA Associate

Not likely. This thread is 6 years old. IIRC it was related to fighting the lead ammo ban.
Old 06-19-2019, 4:11 PM

Ya, probably time to unsticky it. I was going to report it but it clearly states the 'report' button is only for spam/rude behavior.