Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-15-2013, 8:07 AM

Merced county sheriff is stepping down

http://m.mercedsun-star.com/merced/d...tguid=A4rSwHjR
Old 12-15-2013, 8:09 AM

Has anything new changed after the lawsuit my wife and I are looking into trying to get our ccw?
Old 12-15-2013, 2:40 PM

I applied and was approved by the Merced PD.
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 19, 1785
Old 12-15-2013, 3:53 PM

I live in merced county in dos palos was told I need to go through the merced county sheriff so I don't know I'll make some calls
Old 12-15-2013, 7:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czsp-01-9mm View Post
I live in merced county in dos palos was told I need to go through the merced county sheriff so I don't know I'll make some calls
If your city (1) is incorporated (ck the Wiki page for Merced Co to see if it is listed as such), AND (2) has its own PD (cities can contract w/the SO to have them provide the city w/police services), AND (3) it issues CCWs (some cities sign a Memorandum of Understanding w/the sheriff saying they will not issue CCWs), then you'll probably have to go thru your PD's CoP first. If they deny you, then you can try the sheriff. Otherwise, you apply directly w/the sheriff.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 12-16-2013, 5:22 AM

Ok thank you
Old 12-20-2013, 9:12 PM

So what do we know about the CCW stand that these three take?
http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2013/12...r-sheriff.html#

Quote:
Pat Lunney formally announced his candidacy for Merced
County sheriff on the steps of the Merced County courthouse museum.

Sgt. Frank Swiggart and Sr. Sgt. Rich Howard, both of the Merced County Sheriff’s Department, have also confirmed their intention to seek the office.

Swiggart, 47, and Howard, 43, are both veterans of the sheriff’s department. For the last three years, Swiggart has been head of the Merced Community College Police Department, which is operated by the sheriff’s department. Howard is the supervisor of the Merced County Multi-Agency Narcotics Task Force
District of Columbia vs. Heller
Old 01-01-2014, 12:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG of MP View Post
So what do we know about the CCW stand that these three take?
http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2013/12...r-sheriff.html#
In general, I believe a younger candidate is more likely to support (or at least not vigorously fight), issuing CCWs since more of their life would have been since the nation-wide push for Shall Issue, which started in FL back in 1986. Lunney is 66, Swiggart, 47, and Howard, 43....

Of course, Merced CGN folks should show up at EVERY place they talk and try to politely push for liberal issuance of CCWs -- just like most of Merced's neighboring counties (Stanislaus, Fresno, etc.)

With Lunney, a good thing would be to see if any of his CoP supporters readily issue CCWs (if their city does issue CCWs)
From the article, Lunney's supporters include:
Merced Police Chief Norman Andrade, ... Dos Palos Police Chief Barry Mann, Gustine Police Chief Doug Dunford and Livingston Police Chief Ruben Chavez
and they, along w/the other issuing cities in Merced Co. rarely issue CCWs:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/128329814/...by-county-2011

By the sound of this,

Howard and Swiggart said Thursday they plan to formally announce their candidacies in the coming weeks, though specific dates have not been scheduled. Both men said it will be important for Merced voters to have multiple qualified candidates from which to choose during the upcoming election.

and the rest of the article, it sounds like Linney is the candidate to beat, he's got a lot of politicians (even the ones w/badges) in his corner, so if he's an anti (and I'd guess he is), Merced folks have a huge uphill fight. No time to waste!

Find out if Lunney, Swiggart or Howard is pro-CCW (will accept mere "self-defense" as Good Cause, like Sacramento sheriff). A call or email (preferred), or letter might be enough to find out. Check out their websites (if they have any).

IIRC, the cut off for candidates to apply to run is mid Feb. and the election in June. IOW, if you find one that is pro-CCW, you should have a county-wide organization already in place to encourage them to apply and run and help them win in either the primary or in a run off in Nov.

You may want to hook up w/these folks in this fight:

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/announc...step-down.html
https://www.facebook.com/MercedCountyCCW

Last edited by Paladin; 01-04-2014 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: added some bolding
Old 01-03-2014, 9:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Thought you guys might benefit from what I posted in the San Joaquin thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
You guys barely have enough time as it is....

Why? Because the odds are that there's a candidate who wants to be sheriff who, at heart is not a LEO, but a anti "politician w/a gun and a badge", who's lining up local politicos and various city CoPs who are mostly anti and the Average Joe, when getting a flier from them will see ALL those (antis) supporting him for sheriff and will fall inline....

You guys need "boots on the ground" to establish a county-wide network of gunnie activists in EVERY city who will flier shooting ranges, public & private, shooting (trap/skeet, IPSC, etc), hunting, and even fishing clubs to raise support and $$$, and plan to flier w/professional fliers just before elections (June, and Nov if there's a runoff). Look into local radio ads.

January to June sounds like 1/2 a year -- 6 months, but, IIRC, the election is the first week of June, so that means Jan thru May, 5 months. Next, factor in when mail-in ballots arrive, since most folks, I'm guessing, mail those in within a week or two of getting them, so that means you've got 4 months to get everything ready (flier production, distribution, radio ad prdxn, contracts signed). IIRC, the cutoff for candidates to get on the ballot isn't for several weeks, so you may not know all the people running, good or bad, who to support and/or who to oppose, for another month.... But that's no reason to not start building your organization NOW.

This org. can either be an independent org ("San Joaquinians for Law & Order"), and stay that way (mention CCWs among other LE/safety issues), or merge with the org of the candidate of your choice after you know everyone who's running and they've ALL been properly vetted. Remember: once someone is sheriff they can stay in office, getting reelected, for DECADES (until they move on to a new job, retire, die, or MAJOR scandal (San Mateo sheriff easily survived minor scandal)). If they're anti-CCW, there goes your chance for a CCW.

You've got NO TIME TO WASTE!!!

Last edited by Paladin; 01-03-2014 at 9:39 AM..
Old 01-04-2014, 1:05 AM
Veteran Member

Paladin, thanks for the posts, they are a needed reminder for us to start researching and get the word out.

I imagine it will be difficult to get any information out of the running candidates on this issue but it's very important to try. If there's a candidate for sherrif who is in support of CCW I'll definitely donate to their campaign, and I hope others here will also.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:46 PM

Two more candidates pull papers to run for MCS
http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2014/01...n-sheriff.html
Old 01-11-2014, 8:42 AM

Frank Swiggart announces:
http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2014/01...ed-county.html

Quote:
Four others have declared their intentions to run for the office.

Senior Sgt. Rich Howard, 43, who has confirmed intentions to run, is the supervisor of the Merced County Multi-Agency Narcotics Task Force.

Pat Lunney, 66, has been chief of investigations for the Merced County District Attorney’s Office since 2008. He also served as chief of the Merced Police Department for 15 years.

Livingston City Councilman Jim Soria confirmed his plans to run for sheriff this month. The 45-year-old said he has more than 25 years of experience in public safety and law enforcement, serving in the Newman, Ceres, Mendota and Dos Palos police departments.

Vern Warnke, a retired senior sergeant and part-time deputy for the Sheriff’s Department, pulled papers at the end of December. Warnke, 55, retired from the Sheriff’s Department in 2008 after 29 years and now works as a part-time deputy.
Old 01-12-2014, 5:35 PM

From Vern Warnke for sheriff Facebook page

https://m.facebook.com/vernwarnkefor...45348105590863

For those that have a legal right to possess a firearm (for example: not a convicted felon) and you have met the training criteria that I set forth, permits will be issued.

Haven't found any statements regarding ccw from other candidates.
Old 01-12-2014, 7:28 PM

Wow..... You really can not do much better than that.
Does this guy have a chance?
Old 01-12-2014, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG of MP View Post
Wow..... You really can not do much better than that.
Does this guy have a chance?
If he's serious about it, howsabouts we all try to get behind him and GIVE him that much better a chance?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member

Anyone have contact information for his campaign? It would be great to get the word out so we can donate cash or volunteer.
Old 01-14-2014, 4:57 PM
Calguns Addict

We just won the Lu case against LASO. No more "you have to apply first and get denied before applying w/the SO" illegal requirement!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...545848&page=16

If there is no appeal by LA, Merced will probably fall in line pretty fast. Things will improve in Merced, just not sure if immediately.

Last edited by Paladin; 02-17-2014 at 8:33 PM..
Old 01-18-2014, 11:42 AM

My brother(popular real-estate agent) personnaly knows Swiggart and his wife. I'll find out if he is Pro CCW and get back to the group. Swiggarts wife is a real estate agent in Merced and she has alot of support because she is heavily involved in the community. I am going to Swiggarts fundraiser in February. Maybe I can be of some help with my time? I just need some guidance in these types of matters. I live in Atwater.
[QUOTE=russ69;6282246]Nope. Life is just like gym class...show up and take a shower and you'll do OK.
Old 02-08-2014, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime7818 View Post
My brother(popular real-estate agent) personnaly knows Swiggart and his wife. I'll find out if he is Pro CCW and get back to the group. Swiggarts wife is a real estate agent in Merced and she has alot of support because she is heavily involved in the community. I am going to Swiggarts fundraiser in February. Maybe I can be of some help with my time? I just need some guidance in these types of matters. I live in Atwater.
I've known Frank Swiggart since 1987. He is pro-2A and pro-concealed carry.

From his FB election page:

Edit: He added this today. Click pic for bigger image.

Last edited by diveRN; 02-08-2014 at 4:57 PM..
Old 02-13-2014, 8:15 PM

Frank just added a more detailed response on his stance on ccw's to his Facebook page Frank Swiggart for sheriff. Take a look!
Old 02-13-2014, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Frank just added a more detailed response on his stance on ccw's to his Facebook page Frank Swiggart for sheriff. Take a look!
I did. His expanded position still cites self-protection outside the home (i.e. CCW) as a "privilege."
Being willing to issue CCWs more readily than has been the case is admittedly a step forward, but regarding it as anything other than what the courts have held it to be--a right--is an incomplete step forward, in my opinion.
Old 02-16-2014, 6:42 PM

JohnC'sBobcat, I see your point.
Old 02-16-2014, 8:29 PM

Let's see what Merced County LE administrations and candidates for office do now...

Peruta, though a San Diego gestated case, should have a BIG effect on how easy CCW issuance should be. From the local police chiefs to Pazin and his successor the process should be streamlined and made easier by the authorites. IT IS THE LAW.

However, S H O U L D does not mean that it is a sure thing without filing for injunctions or even going the next step and asking for civil or even in the worst extreme criminal penalties against those who deny the rights of those citizens of Merced County who can legally purchase firearms.

In any case, the bottom line is that the 9th Circuit court found that an average law abiding citizen has a RIGHT to carry outside the home. The mode of carry is up to the State but since California state law all but precludes open carry then an EASY to obtain CCW permit should now become the rule rather than the exception.

Within a month we should see some sort of further court action as the original Peruta case was REVERSED and remanded on appeal.

How long it will take this to filter to Merced County is of course unknown, but if the local police chiefs and S.O. are to do the right and legal thing it should become much more easy for a normal non-statutorily prohibited person to get a CCW permit.

This would be the only option in keeping with the now fully court tested (under Heller, McDonald and Peruta) RIGHT to carry outside the home.

There are many other discussions going on about Peruta by smarter scholars than myself on the other Calguns.net forums, but while one would expect stupid (and in my opinion illegal) games to be played by the LE elitists in San Francisco, Santa Clara, an Los Angeles, and SanDiego counties, Merced authorities darn well SHOULD be open to a much easier system of issuance than previously evidenced ...especially if they expect us to believe that they truly care about the clearly established and now court tested rights of the voters and citizens. It is time to streamline the process and open it up to any citizen who states the cause 'self protection'.

Whether they like the idea of common citizens to having this right or not is immaterial, the LE Admins must now show they are willing to uphold the law that they swore an oath to.

Oh yes, that oath includes 'the Constitution of the United States' which, does indeed include the 2nd amendment which has now been interpreted by the courts to mean that the common man the right to bear arms as a personal liberty.

I would like to see people post here about their experiences with Merced County, Atwater, Los Banos, and any other municipalities within Merced County as they go forward with the CCW permitting process.

I would also like to see any civil (or now theoretically criminal) case activity against those who deny the right posted about here as well.

HELLER: Affirmed an individual right to possess and arguably to carry arms:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/07-290.ZS.html

MCDONALD applied it to the states and reaffirmed and arguably even expanded Heller a bit:
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-1521.pdf

PERUTA further clarifies that this individual right INCLUDING CARRY OUTSIDE THE HOME must be made available to all law abiding citizens:
http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...12/1056971.pdf

Last edited by CG of MP; 02-16-2014 at 8:31 PM..
Old 02-17-2014, 1:28 AM

Quote:
JohnC'sBobcat, I see your point.
I don't mean to be overly critical of any candidate--Sgt. Swiggart, in my view, looks to be fairly reasonable overall, and I don't know much about any of them yet. Then again, Sgt. (Ret) Warnke has said similar things on his Facebook candidacy group, though he doesn't seem to have the same flair for getting his message out as Sgt. Swiggart.
What worries me is, we have one candidate who's been endorsed by almost all the PD Chiefs in the County, in addition to several other officials, and then "the rest" who don't seem to have a whole lot of horsepower in their corners.

It really is high time for folks (including me; I'm plenty guilty of waiting too long) to start exploring candidates' positions, trying to get a personal feel for as many as possible, and then ideally sharing their findings and analysis in a place like this forum, to get some grass-roots support behind the best available candidate for Sheriff.

Problem is, I don't want to volunteer to coordinate such things
And I'd tend to think that trying would be akin to herding cats.

(Also, I may be Persona Non Grata to folks at or from the Sheriff's Department--long and unrelated story--which makes me a possible liability as far as getting accurate info)
Old 02-19-2014, 9:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
We just won the Lu case against LASO. No more "you have to apply first and get denied before applying w/the SO" illegal requirement!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...545848&page=16

If there is no appeal by LA, Merced will probably fall in line pretty fast. Things will improve in Merced, just not sure if immediately.
A month after winning the Lu v. Baca case and Merced still has, in big, bold red letters, their ILLEGAL requirement of applying w/your local PD first.

Notice for Carrying Concealed Weapons (CCW) Applicants*

*Prior to applying for a CCW permit with the Merced County Sheriff's Office, you must first apply for the CCW permit with the police department of your city. If that police department denies your application, you must obtain the reason for the denial in writing (per California Penal Code 26202) and submit that denial statement with any subsequent application to the Merced County Sheriff's Office.

Old 02-19-2014, 9:50 AM

Quote:
A month after winning the Lu v. Baca case and Merced still has, in big, bold red letters, their ILLEGAL requirement of applying w/your local PD first.

Notice for Carrying Concealed Weapons (CCW) Applicants*

*Prior to applying for a CCW permit with the Merced County Sheriff's Office, you must first apply for the CCW permit with the police department of your city. If that police department denies your application, you must obtain the reason for the denial in writing (per California Penal Code 26202) and submit that denial statement with any subsequent application to the Merced County Sheriff's Office.
My understanding is that Merced PD is actually easier to get a CCW from the the SD. Plus they have Pazins name all over the site still regarding policy so who knows how long it's been since it was updated. Did you try calling?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham7897 View Post
My understanding is that Merced PD is actually easier to get a CCW from the the SD. Plus they have Pazins name all over the site still regarding policy so who knows how long it's been since it was updated. Did you try calling?
Gator Ray seems to have firsthand info on getting a CCW through Merced PD.
County IT is usually kinda slow to get web updates applied, it seems.
Old 02-23-2014, 6:46 PM

Anyone who has been through the Merced County process - can you tell us about the shooting requirement? What size targets, how it is scored, and what the course of fire and so on is?
Old 02-24-2014, 6:40 PM

I went through the class that Gunrunner puts on. Their course of fire was different than the previous one I did through Stone's Gun Shop. With the Gunrunner class, you will use one B-27 target. Fire 12 rounds at almost point blank with the gun held in front of you just above the waist. "Point and shoot" style. Then 12 rounds at 7 yards and another 12 rounds at 12 yards. Hits must remain within the 7 ring.
Old 02-26-2014, 5:59 PM

Thats it?
LOL!
Okay thanks!
Old 02-26-2014, 6:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm not in Merced Co. Just try to help CGNers wherever they are.

The disadvantage of PD CCW is that if you move out of the city, but stay in the county, you lose your PD CCW and have to apply w/new PD or SO for a new CCW. (ETA: the previous sentence is incorrect.) Whereas if you do that w/a SO CCW, I *think* you just inform the SO to update your CCW records.

Ideally, CCWs should be issued by the state and you can move anywhere any number of times within the state w/o losing your CCW (and time, money and effort spent getting it).

Last edited by Paladin; 09-25-2014 at 10:33 PM..
Old 02-28-2014, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quick update on Merced Sherrif's race. Warnke or Swiggart, both seem likely to create/support a reasonable CCW licensing process.

I'm glad to see Warnke was endorsed as I feel his statements on CCW are more concrete, and from the limited information I've seen, he sounds like a down to earth guy.

"The Merced County Deputy Sheriff’s Association, which represents 101 employees including deputy sheriffs, dispatchers and coroners, announced an endorsement for Vern Warnke as sheriff."

Read more here: http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2014/02...#storylink=cpy
http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2014/02...announces.html
Old 03-04-2014, 11:05 AM

Merced County Sheriff Candidate Forum Thursday, March 6,2014. St. John's Lutheran Church. 250 W. Adams, Los Banos, CA. 7:00 PM.

I have a flyer copy but I can't figure out how to insert it. Us old people shouldn't have i phones or computers!

www.kentsandhagen.mygofoods.com

Cowboy Fast Draw World Championships
alias, "The Undertaker"
Fastest Shot 2009 .356
Old 03-07-2014, 11:37 AM

It was a good forum. All 4 candidates were there. Warnke, Swiggart, Lunney and Soria. The audience had good questions. I asked if any of them were current members of The Oath Keepers, if not why not and were they planning on becoming members. None of them were current members. All were checking in to it and would probably become members at a later date. They all said that they would issue LTC/CCW permits much easier and faster than the current admin. "As long as the applicants met the qualifications" They did not discuss what all they would require. They all agreed that a universal set of standards for the state would be appreciated. There will be another forum, not sure what the date is, in Atwater.

www.kentsandhagen.mygofoods.com

Cowboy Fast Draw World Championships
alias, "The Undertaker"
Fastest Shot 2009 .356
Old 03-07-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeFree View Post
Quick update on Merced Sherrif's race. Warnke or Swiggart, both seem likely to create/support a reasonable CCW licensing process.

I'm glad to see Warnke was endorsed as I feel his statements on CCW are more concrete, and from the limited information I've seen, he sounds like a down to earth guy.

"The Merced County Deputy Sheriff’s Association, which represents 101 employees including deputy sheriffs, dispatchers and coroners, announced an endorsement for Vern Warnke as sheriff."

Read more here: http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2014/02...#storylink=cpy
http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2014/02...announces.html
Warnke on his FB page also said that he would pay for the training portion minus the ammo cost.
Old 03-07-2014, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

Does anyone know if Vern Warnke will be having a fund raiser soon? Is there a way I can directly contact his campaign to contribute?

I don't do facebook, which seems to be everyones favorite political platform, so I feel out of the loop on events, etc.

I saw a campaign sign for Lunney today and I'm not happy! My gut instinct tells me Warnke is the way to go and I want to see his signs damnit!

I hope others here are interested and will be donating to their candidate of choice. This is our chance to have a direct impact on our rights and quality of service in Merced County.
Old 03-07-2014, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know if Vern Warnke will be having a fund raiser soon? Is there a way I can directly contact his campaign to contribute?

I don't do facebook, which seems to be everyones favorite political platform, so I feel out of the loop on events, etc.

I saw a campaign sign for Lunney today and I'm not happy! My gut instinct tells me Warnke is the way to go and I want to see his signs damnit!

I hope others here are interested and will be donating to their candidate of choice. This is our chance to have a direct impact on our rights and quality of service in Merced County.
You can use this link to donate to Vern's campaign.

https://secure.piryx.com/donate/V9Gg...ounty-Sheriff/

You can use this email address as well.

vernwarnke01@yahoo.com

Last edited by jgraham7897; 03-07-2014 at 4:27 PM..
Old 03-07-2014, 6:55 PM

So aside from what the MCSO website SAYS.. has the process changed one whit in the last month? What is the current policy and has there been any movement at all? WHO is in charge if not Pazin and what is that individual's stance on the right to carry and issuing of LTC's?
Old 03-09-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Vern now has a website. http://www.vernforsheriff.com/
Old 03-10-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Vern now has a website. http://www.vernforsheriff.com/
From his website:
Quote:
Your Right to Protect Yourself and Your Family
You have a right to protect yourself and your family. That is why I am in favor of a clear and straight forward process to obtaining your CCW
Permit.
1. Pass your CCW Course provided by a licensed gun dealer or shooting range.
2. Pass a satisfactory background check
3. Perform a qualifying demonstration with Department provided range masters.

I’m proud to say that I have the highest rating of any of the four Sheriff’s candidates from the Merced County Citizens for Concealed Carry. They know I will not play politics with your right to a CCW.
Hum ... You have to pay for your training before even getting preliminary approval? What are the shooting requirements for "Qualifying" ?
I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice