Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 12-31-2013, 11:07 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post

So I'm intrigued by the idea of hunting pig in California, never done it and only have a hunting history of dove, quail and pheasant.

So, with my interest and criteria on the table what would people suggest I look at as a firearm and caliber for pig hunting in California?
Get another .308 like taperxz suggested but get one that isn't a bench rifle beast. A regular profile bolt action (myriads of choices, some cheap, some not) will work with a good scope. Definition of good for hunting in my experience is typically $200-$300 (or less if one of those models goes on sale or closeout).

I also like purchasing used guns and optics and have done well. By going 308 you can shoot the same ammo through both guns for fun.

My first urge is that if you have a friend who hunts who you can go with, borrow one of his/her rifles for the hunt. I've loaned shotguns to friends when they hunted with me b/c they had no gun or their gun was crappy.

Now if you decide to take the plunge I'm sure of our the more experienced guys will glady take you hunting aka drag you all over a mountain until you want to drop dead and then I'm sure you will have lots of questions to ask while you recuperate in the hospital.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
On the PM, not a 'no' just trying to find where I put the file for my '8 questions for LE candidates'. If I'd have named it something like that it would be easy to find...

I kind of expected the .308 bolt action to be the first suggestion. If I went that route it'd be easy, I'd pick up a Savage Trophy Hunter XP in 308 and be done. The action, trigger and such would be similar to my 10FCP-K, not a hunting rifle by any means but damn ice if you want to take a fixed position and play area denial.

But I just don't like bolt actions really, that's the twist I was referring to.
What would be the suggestions for other than bolt action firearms?
If you are a lever man and want to stay with 308 check out a Browning BLR or savage model 99. Both of which are short, quick handling and fun to shoot. There may be other models of lever guns in 308 but I am most familiar with those.

If you want to go semi auto there is the Browning BAR and Benelli (it went over like a lead balloon) among others.

If you really want to go mall ninja get an Upper for an AR.
Quote:
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
On the PM, not a 'no' just trying to find where I put the file for my '8 questions for LE candidates'. If I'd have named it something like that it would be easy to find...

I kind of expected the .308 bolt action to be the first suggestion. If I went that route it'd be easy, I'd pick up a Savage Trophy Hunter XP in 308 and be done. The action, trigger and such would be similar to my 10FCP-K, not a hunting rifle by any means but damn ice if you want to take a fixed position and play area denial.

But I just don't like bolt actions really, that's the twist I was referring to.
What would be the suggestions for other than bolt action firearms?
BAR (Browning auto rifle) http://www.browning.com/products/cat...?webflag_=002B

Or you could do the AR-10 thang. They are a little heavy though.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
If you are a lever man and want to stay with 308 check out a Browning BLR or savage model 99. Both of which are short, quick handling and fun to shoot. There may be other models of lever guns in 308 but I am most familiar with those.
So for a lever action the classic 30-30 is not on the table or are you just keeping to the .308 due to ammo compatibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
BAR (Browning auto rifle) http://www.browning.com/products/cat...?webflag_=002B

Or you could do the AR-10 thang. They are a little heavy though.
Damn that BAR is SEXY!!

AR10's are nice but kind of big, bulky and heavy. Not to mention expensive for a newbie who wants to dip a foot in to the pool.

You mentioned an upper for an AR, what caliber uppers are viable if any?

I'm guessing my M&P 15-22 would be limited to extreme close range, like from the inside...
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Banned

Default Caliber's & Pig Hunting Q's

Just a side note- I love the lever action cowboy rifles (dont own one) and interested in wild boar hunting. Now you guy are combining the two interests- like it, thanks.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
So for a lever action the classic 30-30 is not on the table or are you just keeping to the .308 due to ammo compatibility?

Damn that BAR is SEXY!!

AR10's are nice but kind of big, bulky and heavy. Not to mention expensive for a newbie who wants to dip a foot in to the pool.

I'm guessing my M&P 15-22 would be limited to extreme close range, like from the inside...
I am having one of your memebers build me a 243WSSM. I had money to burn

If chicoredneck chimes in, he would be the expert on some of the more "wildcat" rounds for the AR that could be effective on hogs. He knows his stuff.

The problem i have with AR hunting is that you have to deal with all the "stuff that sticks down" (pistol grip, mag ect.) All that stuff gets in the way if you are trying to take a rest on a log or rock.

Successful hunters for the most part like KISS (keep it simple...) Which means no bells and whistles. Bolt guns, and big money on glass is what works. Thats it!

Many here will disagree and thats fine, It is what has worked for a couple centuries now.

The BAR is pretty cool but if i went on a big money hunt, i don't need the semi auto to ruin my one chance at a once in a life time trophy.

I understand bolt guns are not your thing. I'm just trying to explain the methodology of what has worked best for most hunters historically and help you understand where many of us come from when posting.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:42 AM

My first rifle was a 30-30 lever gun. 75yds was basically its max range for me with the iron sights. I can remember 3 different times where myself or somone else shot a hog that the bullet didn't penetrate the shoulder on medium to large hogs that I could confirm this. This was back in the leaded bullet days. I have yet to see what copper does in the 30-30. I've never been a fan of copper because of its lack of expansion. However, it pokes through bone a little better. I'd only guess as to wether the 30-30 really has the velosity to push the copper through bone in the same conditions as when the lead failed. The ballistics guys may want to chime in on that one.

Last edited by bigboarstopper; 12-31-2013 at 11:50 AM..
Old 12-31-2013, 11:48 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Bigboarstopper is a licensed hog guide. His recommendations below come from lots of experience. That's not to say all lever guns are inadequate or that a 30-30 wont work. For the most part the experienced guys in here will push people in the direction of highest probability of success While the following may offer less range than your 308 they will work. 35 remington, 358 winchester (My father has one in a BLR. It hits animals like a mule punch), 45-70, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboarstopper View Post
My first rifle was a 30-30 lever gun. 75yds was basically its max range for me with the iron sights. I can remember 3 different times where myself or somone else shot a hog that the bullet didn't penetrate the shoulder on medium to large hogs that I could confirm this. This was back in the leaded bullet days. I have yet to see what copper does in the 30-30.
I used a 300 win mag BAR to kill the majority of my deer and elk. It was a great gun but it was a tad heavy which a couple pounds doesn't sound like much but if you are really humping it you will notice.
Quote:
Old 12-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Calguns Addict

For Kestryl:

http://hogswat.com/faq/

"We typically shoot hogs well under 200 yards, average I would say is 75 yards.. We use 75g BTHP hand loads from Hornaday. They are devastating to hogs and with no recoil, follow up shots are easy and effective.

Its a widely held belief that 223′s aren’t enough to hunt hogs with. That is simply NOT the case. “Back in the day” when folks first started using 223′s to hunt hogs in TX there were no other readily available ‘hunting’ bullets for the 223. You used 55g FMJ, pitiful performance on any large game. Now with dedicated hunting rounds for this caliber, the 223 is a VERY deadly, easy to shoot platform for ethical hog hunting. We have well over 1000 hogs that would agree with us.."

These guys are professionals and slaughter hogs for a living, I'd tend to at least consider what they have to say.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
For Kestryl:

"We typically shoot hogs well under 200 yards, average I would say is 75 yards.. We use 75g BTHP hand loads from Hornaday. They are devastating to hogs and with no recoil, follow up shots are easy and effective.

Its a widely held belief that 223′s aren’t enough to hunt hogs with. That is simply NOT the case. “Back in the day” when folks first started using 223′s to hunt hogs in TX there were no other readily available ‘hunting’ bullets for the 223. You used 55g FMJ, pitiful performance on any large game. Now with dedicated hunting rounds for this caliber, the 223 is a VERY deadly, easy to shoot platform for ethical hog hunting. We have well over 1000 hogs that would agree with us.."

These guys are professionals and slaughter hogs for a living, I'd tend to at least consider what they have to say.

In many parts of CA, the shots you describe are certainly possible. What about the other 200 yards out here in CA though? CA offers long range shooting that many states back east and in the south don't offer.

In other words, when that 300 yard shot presents itself out here in CA on a 250lb pig and all you have is the 223, what are you going to do? Relying on the 223 in CA terrain is a poor option since shots you could easily take with a 308 or 30-06 would or should be passed up with a 223. Why limit yourself to a firearm that would under perform in many situations out here? Not to mention the fact that you still have to pay the guide.

Last edited by taperxz; 12-31-2013 at 12:01 PM..
Old 12-31-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Let's throw a twist in to this.

There appears to be several factions, the 'one true caliber' crowd, the 'X' and over' crowd and the 'whatever works' crowd.

So I'm intrigued by the idea of hunting pig in California, never done it and only have a hunting history of dove, quail and pheasant.

Obviously the shotgun used for those is not applicable to pig and I'll need a different firearm.

Here's the rub.
I own two bolt action rifles, a .22LR Ruger and a Savage .308 that weighs between 12-15 pounds and does a good impression of a field artillery piece.
I own only 2 because I really am not interested in or overly fond of bolt actions and have no interest in buying another one.

I do enjoy semi-auto rifles and lever action rifles as well as handguns in just about any format and semi or pump shotguns.

The firearms i own that might be viable are a few AR-pattern rifles, Mini-14, .357 lever action, pistol carbines and an M1 Garand. The rest of my rifles, shotguns and handguns are more focused on combat rather than hunting.

I don't like uni-taskers, a firearm that is 'purpose built for pig hunting and nothing else' is not going to find a home in my safe.

So, with my interest and criteria on the table what would people suggest I look at as a firearm and caliber for pig hunting in California?
You could cough up 400$ or so and buy a Ruger American in .308 (6.5 lbs) and scavenge the scope from your Savage and use it for the American (7 ish lbs). If you really don't want to buy another rifle you could go with your mini-14/AR but you would have to be extremely careful on how you use it. I have taken two pigs with the mini-14 but I follow some guidelines like the max range I will shoot a pig at is 100 yds and be prepared to do a follow up shot but if done properly you wont need one. I have had good luck with 55 gr Barnes TTSX, I know it sounds kind of light but it flies super fast and it needs to in order to expand (since it is all copper). The last one I shot was a one shot drop at FHL and I hit it in the spine around the shoulder area right where the spine slopes downward to its head. After action report:

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/...5-25-%28FHL%29

I would definitely recommend using a 30 cal bullet for a noob but (IMO) 223 is good as long as you are proficient and it does have limitations that the 30 cals don't. Try to start with the 308 but if you don't want to shell out the money you can jump on in with the mini/AR but just be careful and be ready to be flamed when you post your kill on a hunting forum.

If you use the mini-14 make sure to practice shooting in less than ideal field positions and practice tracking moving targets. A few weeks ago I saw a coyote and I saw another one while hunting last week, I did not really feel like shooting them and skinning them not to mention risk scaring the pigs away but I did practice drawing a bead on them just to keep proficient at field shooting positions with a back pack on etc...

With all that said if you decide to do a guided hunt they may require you to use a 30 cal rifle but the guides can be expensive and I have always pounded sand until I figured out the place and know where the hogs are and when they move and when and where to set up at a pig traffic area. It may be a good idea though if you first go out on a guided hunt so you can learn the ropes and be instructed by a veteran hunter to help get you started.

Last edited by MapleSyrupSmuggler; 12-31-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Old 12-31-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Successful hunters for the most part like KISS (keep it simple...) Which means no bells and whistles. Bolt guns, and big money on glass is what works. Thats it!

I like that statement
Old 12-31-2013, 12:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
In many parts of CA, the shots you describe are certainly possible. What about the other 200 yards out here in CA though? CA offers long range shooting that many states back east and in the south don't offer.

In other words, when that 300 yard shot presents itself out here in CA on a 250lb pig and all you have is the 223, what are you going to do? Relying on the 223 in CA terrain is a poor option since shots you could easily take with a 308 or 30-06 would or should be passed up with a 223. Why limit yourself to a firearm that would under perform in many situations out here? Not to mention the fact that you still have to pay the guide.
Maybe work on your stalking skills?

It's not impossible to get in to under 100 yards when stalking hogs, open terrain or not. Sure, you'll have to let a few pass but that's all part of the hunt. Understand you and your equipment limitations and make it happen. If you own a .223 and can't afford the .338 or .50uberboomer that people say you need, understand that it's not out of the question and actually pretty common caliber for hogs.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

It's not impossible to get in to under 100 yards when stalking hogs, open terrain or not. Sure, you'll have to let a few pass but that's all part of the hunt. Understand you and your equipment limitations and make it happen. If you own a .223 and can't afford the .338 or .50uberboomer that people say you need, understand that it's not out of the question and actually pretty common caliber for hogs.
Whoa whoa whoa. Wtf?! People are hunting hogs with a 338 or 50? Uhhhhh wow, if this is true talk about buying into the myth of thinking you need some big hitter to take them down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuscooler View Post
I have Paramilitary training
Old 12-31-2013, 12:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Have you hunted hogs in CA before and been successful? If most guides in CA require a better round than the 223, there must be a reason for that.

The terrain i hunt for deer would not allow you to stalk that close. You either have six inches of grass (if that, depending on if the area is grazed by cattle) and maybe a few oaks in the way. OR! You are shooting from a ridge line and what separates you from the game is six feet of buck brush not to mention if you wound the animal it runs into the brush and you won't find it.

I'll take the long shot!

I'm not doubting your ability or scenarios in GA! Your ideas give the impression that you don't know much about hunting big game in CA though.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
To make things simple, keep in mind that after you pig hunt for the first time you may get hooked which could open the door to out of state hunts and other species.

You have a 308 which is a great round for big game IMHO. The bolt action rifle is paramount when hunting for several reasons. Accuracy is one although you will get arguments on that topic too. Reliability is the most important reason however. The chances of a bolt gun screwing up on you is slim and none. The semi auto has a better chance of screwing up with dirt or foul weather.

Also keep in mind that "your one chance" at an animal, if you are lucky enough to see an animal is not the time to test reliability of the firearm.

Basically, a bolt action hunting rifle in 308 with a good scope (much lighter that an old military rifle) would be a one gun does it all in North America.

Some will argue this and start talking ballistics, and whatever else their opinion is. (all experienced hunters do this LOL)

I am only picking out a 308 for YOU because you are already invested in that round. Others will suggest other calibers but i am trying to keep it as simple as possible as you requested.
Kest, im going to have to agree here. You denied your savage 308 a chance before you even fielded it.

I personally run a savage 308 similar to yours which has a heavy varmint barrel on it made for benchrest match shooting not for hunting. But guess where it at most if not all of the time? Out in the woods taking hogs and deer and anything else that wants to play. I havent weighed it, but its certainly much heavier than all my buddies hunting rifles with slim profiled crowned barrels. Its probably about the same weight as my old lmt mwse.

Dont go out buying some other rifle when youve already got the best in your possession. Its in a great multi platform caliber, you already have it set up with a scope and whatever accessories. All youve got to do is buy some ammo and put your feet to walking!

Quote:
Old 12-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
For Kestryl:

Quote:

This brings up a secondary question, in Nor Cal and So Cal what are the average ranges to expect to be shooting at?
100-200 yards, 200-300, more?

This somewhat dovetails with my dislike of bolt action rifles, other than my inherent preference for semi-autos.
We hear all the time about pigs charging people and hunters carrying big bore handguns as back up (or would that be big boar handguns?).
This implies very close range where a bolt action would be slower then switching to a backup.
But the need for power and accuracy at range implies distance and less need of a backup sidearm.
It can be rather confusing for a person just looking in to it.

If something has the potential to charge me and inflict damage or death I want follow-up shots on tap. Rule #4, if someone or something is closing on you with evil intent, fire until they stop and the candy comes out.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
This brings up a secondary question, in Nor Cal and So Cal what are the average ranges to expect to be shooting at?

This somewhat dovetails with my dislike of bolt action rifles, other than my inherent preference for semi-autos.
We hear all the time about pigs charging people and hunters carrying big bore handguns as back up (or would that be big boar handguns?).
This implies very close range where a bolt action would be slower then switching to a backup.
But the need for power and accuracy at range implies distance and less need of a backup sidearm.

If something has the potential to charge me and inflict damage or death I want follow-up shots on tap. Rule #4, if someone or something is closing on you with evil intent, fire until they stop and the candy comes out.
It's fairly easy to get a follow up shot with a bolt action if you are comfy with it. Plus you have the buttstock of the gun. Most shots are around 100 in SoCal for me but had opportunities this year at longer ranges just couldn't get situated for an ethical shot at 400 yards and one at 530 yards before the bucks were gone.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterfpga View Post
Kest, im going to have to agree here. You denied your savage 308 a chance before you even fielded it.

I personally run a savage 308 similar to yours which has a heavy varmint barrel on it made for benchrest match shooting not for hunting. But guess where it at most if not all of the time? Out in the woods taking hogs and deer and anything else that wants to play. I havent weighed it, but its certainly much heavier than all my buddies hunting rifles with slim profiled crowned barrels. Its probably about the same weight as my old lmt mwse.

Dont go out buying some other rifle when youve already got the best in your possession. Its in a great multi platform caliber, you already have it set up with a scope and whatever accessories. All youve got to do is buy some ammo and put your feet to walking!
I like my Savage but the 10FCP-K is a beast to begin with, then add the Harris 9-13" bipod, Accu-Shot monopod and a Nikon Moarch 5-20x44 and it is not going to be happy being drug around looking for prey.
It like to wait for prey to come to it.
Old 12-31-2013, 1:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Kes,

I have a Savage 99 in .308. If you ever want to borrow it for a range trip or a hunting trip, just let me know. Hell, we can even load up a bunch of lead free ammo for it in case you want to hunt condors.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 12-31-2013, 1:46 PM

Go .44 mag if you can. I have taken 17 with that round. I have been doing this for about 30 years. 44 mag is the way to go for a handgun.

Last edited by Cmpaycheck; 12-31-2013 at 1:51 PM..
Old 12-31-2013, 2:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

[QUOTE=Kestryll;13101502]
Quote:
Hunting conditions vary wherever you go. Its a BIG diverse state when it comes to terrain. Someone hunter the Sierras will have different conditions than someone hunting in Lake county. Its also dependent on species hunted.

This is one of the reasons answers to questions are often conflicting. People have different experiences where they hunt. Thats why generally the best answer to a new hunters questions regarding weapon and caliber is to get more gun and glass and be done with it.

If you're a nut like me, i find every reason to buy a firearm for every condition

Quote:
Very few people hunt pigs or any game with pistols. There are those that absolutely want to though. Generally they are equipped with a large caliber and a scope. Getting charged by hogs is a pretty rare thing. Its certainly not something i would ever be to concerned with. I would want my bolt action rifle more than a handgun personally.

If you are beating brush while hunting hogs and/or using dogs, a handgun is what you would be using as your primary weapon for the most part. Shay can chime in on his experiences with this but it goes back to where you are hunting and the terrain you are hunting in. I think Shay offers both spot and stalk hunts as well as up close and personal handgun hunts with his dogs.

Quote:
I think your concern over what you have heard is a little over glorified IMHO.

Stick around a bit new guy, you can even start your own thread on what kind of backup gun you need and what everyone else carries for a "back-up"
LOL!!! Others on this will chime in shortly for sure.

Whats fun with this Kes is that you are now showing a fear of the animal and we are only on a computer. Wait till you get out in the field and put your crosshairs on an animal you are about to shoot!! Getting buck fever sucks if you can't control it, but its all adrenaline taking over your mind and body.

This is all stuff you will learn out in the field and you really can't understand what its like until you get out there. You also can't be afraid to screw up because YOU WILL! Its all a part of the learning process.

Which again translates into more gun is better because you owe it to the animal when you screw up on a shot to be able to find that wounded animal or that dead animal that ran off a thousand yards before it died.
Old 12-31-2013, 2:19 PM

I generally tell people 270. or larger when I take them. I simply want people to be successful. You never know where the shot oppertunity will come from. It could be 15' or 275yds if its strait across a canyon. Even veteran hunters and ex military sharpshooters miss. When it's your hard earned money on the line and you have a truck full of your friends watching you make the shot the pressure is on. The adrenaline starts pumping, the possibility of going home empty handed, the thought of your buddies giving you crap if you miss can get the best of anyone.

That's why I do my best to encourage somone to use a rifle that will reach out as far as you can comfortably shoot and be powerful enough to compensate for a reasonable margin of error.

The situation in Georgia that the gentleman above refered to dosent apply to what most people experience here in California. For one the ground is rarely flat. Shooting across canyons is a common occurance and regularly requires people to shoot at whatever that distance requires. You will also not see a guide service allow anyone to shoot unlimited hogs. Meaning you can't potentially wound a hog or two and expect to keep on hunting. It simply dosent happen here. It's a difference of apples and oranges.

Last edited by bigboarstopper; 12-31-2013 at 2:42 PM..
Old 12-31-2013, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Damn that BAR is SEXY!!

browning's BAR and BLR are in a league of their own compared to most levers and auto guns out there.

As far as uppers for an AR 15 there are a lot but it really helps if you reload. 30ossm (Half way between a 308 and 30-06 in terms f performance), 6.5wssm which has .260 performance, .25wssm which is identical to a 25-06 and 243wssm which was already mentioned. There are also other variants which are very capable for a knowledgeable shooter.
Old 12-31-2013, 3:22 PM
Head Janitor

Not so much fear as curiosity, I have a hard time reconciling the two statements that are heard when discussing hog hunting.

A) Go big bore, scoped bolt action so you can hit at long ranges.
B) Carry a big bore back up handgun in case it charges you.

So the pig is far enough away that I need a caliber with enough energy at range but close enough to jeopardize my life if wounded.

Either these two conflict or pigs have mastered teleportation.
So I ask questions to clarify.
Old 12-31-2013, 3:31 PM

Long range capabilities to cover another base. I don't know of anyone killed by a boar. Do you?
Old 12-31-2013, 4:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Not so much fear as curiosity, I have a hard time reconciling the two statements that are heard when discussing hog hunting.

So the pig is far enough away that I need a caliber with enough energy at range but close enough to jeopardize my life if wounded.

We will use the word nervous then. Forget the stories you have heard about killer pigs!! They generally run as fast as they can from you. If you are handgun hunting or hunting with dogs, things CAN happen. Hogs are darn near blind. Most likely your experience will be the same as hunting deer only its a pig.

I'll see if i can find the youtube video of the lady who actually encountered a buck deer trying to mate with her. LOL Things happen in the wild. Many people who get hurt by a pigs are hunting up close and personal on purpose so their risk level is slightly heightened.
Old 12-31-2013, 4:52 PM

.357 and .44 are good rounds for pistols when hog hunting but it wouldn't be my first choice in a rifle or carbine for pig hunting. If you were using a Marlin or Winchester in a carbine and your shots were no more than 50 yards and you went for pigs on the smaller side you would be alright with a .357 or .44. A new hunter would be good to go with a 270, 308, or 30-06. You cant really go wrong there. I prefer my 450 Marlin Guide gun with no scope for up close and personal shots. Anything past a hundred yards I go to my 45-70 with a scope. Most pigs are taken between 100 and 200 yards. Which is perfect for my 45-70. I am a big fan of really heavy bullets for pigs. I use 300 grain tsx's for both of my Marlins. Whatever you decide to take just make sure you spend time getting to know your weapon. Shoot it as much as you can. Practice make perfect. Oh ya have fun!
Old 12-31-2013, 5:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Taperxz already hit on this, but the stories of pigs charging are usually exaggerated, or the individual was hunting pigs with dogs and therefore close range and using a revolver.

I don't hunt with a bolt action anymore. I am one of the few here who find an AR more advantageous, especially when hunting pigs. It is just as accurate as a bolt action, but allows me to take running game or multiple game easier. What most of the posters here are trying to recommend to you is a rifle set up that will maximize your chance at success. For me that is an AR in a WSSM caliber. My wife likes to use a 6.8, but I like more range out of my rifles.

I would look for a rifle that you can comfortably shoot to 300 yards and shoots a cartridge powerful enough to take a pig at that range. Ideally you should also be able to shoot the rifle effectively at 10 yards at a running pig. You never know what situation your going to encounter and you don't want to miss out on the only opportunity you might have at a pig.
Old 12-31-2013, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicoredneck View Post
Taperxz already hit on this, but the stories of pigs charging are usually exaggerated, or the individual was hunting pigs with dogs and therefore close range and using a revolver.

I don't hunt with a bolt action anymore. I am one of the few here who find an AR more advantageous, especially when hunting pigs. It is just as accurate as a bolt action, but allows me to take running game or multiple game easier. What most of the posters here are trying to recommend to you is a rifle set up that will maximize your chance at success. For me that is an AR in a WSSM caliber. My wife likes to use a 6.8, but I like more range out of my rifles.

I would look for a rifle that you can comfortably shoot to 300 yards and shoots a cartridge powerful enough to take a pig at that range. Ideally you should also be able to shoot the rifle effectively at 10 yards at a running pig. You never know what situation your going to encounter and you don't want to miss out on the only opportunity you might have at a pig.
They may be accurate but no as accurate as a bolt gun.

I've hit a pig at 10 yards with my 300 rum. I shouldered the gun, pointed the muzzle at his vitals and rolled the scope over and popped him. It's was a 6.5-20x50mm Zeiss. All I saw was fur but dropped him right there. I'll say this though I was ready for a situation like that. I suck though so I mostly call it luck.
Old 12-31-2013, 9:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Have you considered a TC Encore?
Old 01-03-2014, 1:52 PM
Head Janitor

First of thanks for all the info and advice.
After seeing what was posted, doing some reading and checking on other foums and such I think I'm going to build up a lower I have in the safe in to a 6.8 spc and once I verify it's accuracy limit it to 200 yards max.

Second I do owe you all a bit of an apology, I kind of played you.

I intentionally asked a bunch of newbie question, reiterated them a few times after getting an answer and opted out of the first suggestion right away.
No one got short, sharp or snide and everyone stayed on topic and polite.
I've seen similar questions handled much the same and some handle much more 'briskly' for lack of a better word.
This is what the Hunting forum can look like to a new member or someone interested in hunting, even if they are not an Admin, and it looks good.
Old 01-03-2014, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
After seeing what was posted, doing some reading and checking on other foums and such I think I'm going to build up a lower I have in the safe in to a 6.8 spc and once I verify it's accuracy limit it to 200 yards max.

I intentionally asked a bunch of newbie question, reiterated them a few times after getting an answer and opted out of the first suggestion right away.
I've seen similar questions handled much the same and some handle much more 'briskly' for lack of a better word.
This is what the Hunting forum can look like to a new member or someone interested in hunting, even if they are not an Admin, and it looks good.
6.8 would be a great one. Personally i prefer the 300blk but you cant go wrong with either one. Now hurry up and build it so you can go hunting!

Quote:
Old 01-03-2014, 3:06 PM
CGSSA Associate

That may be a little noisy to load which is a bad thing when hunting.

I would have gone the lever action since you don't like bolts.

One thing about hunting very rarely do you need a second or multiple shots. It should be one shot one kill......if you get to shoot a round at all.

Good luck
Old 01-03-2014, 3:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
6.8 would be a great one. Personally i prefer the 300blk but you cant go wrong with either one. Now hurry up and build it so you can go hunting!
Sure the 6.8 will work but if your building a dedicated upper for pig hunting its well worth the while to get a wssm/ossm variant. You dont want to spot that monster 300lb boar at 500 yards and be sitting there wishing you had more gun. Thats my opinion at least.
Old 01-03-2014, 3:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I noticed how everyone was very helpful and kissed up to you in a way, definitely more so then if you were just some joe schmoe. Thats usually how it goes on most forums from what ive seen.
Old 01-03-2014, 3:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
Sure the 6.8 will work but if your building a dedicated upper for pig hunting its well worth the while to get a wssm/ossm variant. You dont want to spot that monster 300lb boar at 500 yards and be sitting there wishing you had more gun. Thats my opinion at least.
Thats true but i dont ever shoot that far hunting. If i spot em out of my range i just let em go amd enjoy the view.

Just for the sake of this thread. Whaf is the cost for one of those uppers and compatibility for existing equipment?

Quote:

Last edited by shooterfpga; 01-03-2014 at 3:48 PM..
Old 01-03-2014, 3:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thats true but i dont ever shoot that far hunting. If i spot em out of my range i just let em go amd enjoy the view.
Fair enough
Old 01-03-2014, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
Fair enough
Edited my comment. If i remember correctly you had one built by a vendor here?

Quote:
Old 01-03-2014, 4:33 PM
CGSSA Associate

I wish I saw so many pigs I could pass