Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 07-14-2016, 6:13 PM

Taking s peace officer position requires that you sacrifice your life and style. you are starting out and will get the worst shift. This will allow the current officers to get the better shifts. As a DPO I you will probably be assigned a friday, saturday, sunday shift. This will probably work for your school issues. Understand that you are on call 24 hours a day and you dont have a choice to say no. You can get held over at any time. If you have other priorities, this may not be the job for you. i had to postpone my education for a year to get past probation. Once i was off probation, my schedule did not allow for me to take a full load of classes so i had to slow my completion down. Thats just part of the job. Here is what you will hear often as a new deputy. " the needs of the institution outweigh your needs". Not trying to sound like a jerk but veteran staff will get the opportunity to complete their education before a new deputy will. You have to put in your time.

Just giving some friendly advice since i used to supervise the academy. I once released a guy for failing academics because he was in a doctoral program. he had no time to study for his exams and failed. Smart guy, but he wasnt able to realize what he wanted. Im sure hes doing fine in his other career.

Good luck.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:32 PM

CaptMike,

I appreciate your honesty. I am not in a rush to finish school, but I will seriously consider whether finishing school quickly or working for probation is top my priority. You certainly don't sound like a jerk - your honesty is very helpful, and in the end knowing what to expect will mean that I am better prepared to handle possible conflicts with school and work.

Thank you,
searching16
Old 07-20-2016, 11:56 AM

Detention Services Officer just opened up. This is a peace officer position. 51k to start. Will make 60k in 3 years. Here is the link with the requirements and the apply link as well. Good luck.

https://www.governmentjobs.com/caree...rvices-officer
Old 08-01-2016, 9:22 AM

Hi everyone, just following up, I got band 3 for DPOII back in October 2015 and no call. I am a DPO II at a neighboring county, anyone know if they ever made it to Band 3 for DPOII? Does anyone know if DPO II will open again soon? Can anyone tell me if next time around I might be better off applying for DPO I and DPOII. Just trying to get my foot in the door, but i hear its hard to get out the camps. Thanks
Old 08-01-2016, 6:34 PM

Last I heard, they were not going to open DPO II. That can change depending on who is in charge. We have an interim Chief and we do not know when a new Chief will be selected. They only got as far as band 1 for the DPO II list. I would suggest applying for DPO I right now. Once your in as a DPO I, when 2 opens up, you should already meet the experience requirements and should be able to promote quicker than normal. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2016, 6:09 AM

Is DSO still taking applications at this time?
Old 09-14-2016, 11:45 AM

Yes. And we just received the next raise so it is now 52k to start and you max at 62k in 3 years.

Apply here:
https://www.governmentjobs.com/caree...rvices-officer
Old 09-14-2016, 11:50 AM

Group supervisor nights is still open as well.

https://www.governmentjobs.com/caree...ghts-probation
Old 09-17-2016, 7:00 AM

Good morning all,
So any idea on a timeframe to know whether you have been accepted or not? I finished the whole process 8/15/16 (medical, poly, psych etc).
Probation is my first choice but I have Pasadena PD waiting on me to see if I start the background process with them. They want an answer by 9/20 so I'm kind of in limbo.
Thanks!
Old 09-17-2016, 7:55 AM

The next academy starts next friday. If they are going to take you for this class, you will be called because monday. If not, then the next academy class is in 8 weeks. I would recommend continuing your process with pasadena. They are a great department to work for. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2016, 9:26 AM

Default Sounds good

Thank you CaptMike! I'm just kind of anxious to find out since I started this process last December.
Old 09-17-2016, 4:23 PM

Unfortunately the process is long with most departments. I always recommend you take the position that you are offered. If pasadena comes to you first, take it. If probation comes first, take it. You can still process with the other department later. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:58 PM

Capt.mike what is the schedule like for the gsn academy?
Old 09-26-2016, 8:15 AM

Same academy
Mon thru friday 5:55 to 2:25pm. That schedule can change based on the needs of training. Sometimes they move it to a 9 to five and possibly later. You need t be flexible because this is not just a job, it is a career that requires sacrifice and motivation.
Old 12-15-2016, 9:35 AM

Capt. Mike, you know if you guys are running written test for either DSO or night supervisor? Thanks
Old 12-15-2016, 2:29 PM

Yes, they do the testing in cycles. Probably every other month. They opened applications a month ago so I am assuming that they will have exams in january or february.
Old 12-15-2016, 3:44 PM

Yes, they do the testing in cycles. Probably every other month. They opened applications a month ago so I am assuming that they will have exams in january or february.
Old 12-16-2016, 5:35 PM

Hi Captain Mike.
I am just curious about training.
Do we train in the morning? Shower? Afterwards do book work? Thank you for all the information that you provide. It is really helpful!
Old 12-16-2016, 6:54 PM

PT from 0600. Classroom lecture, Def tactics or scenario training from 0800 on.
Old 02-01-2017, 9:57 PM

Hey Captain Mike,

I'm new on here.

I recently took my poly about a week and half ago for DPO1. I also had to write a statement afterwards confirming my phs information. Today I was emailed for psych and med scheduling for next week and the following week. . Does that confirm polygraph was passed? I was band 1 also

Also, do you know when next academy class is scheduled to begin?

Any info is greatly appreciated thank you
Old 02-09-2017, 6:04 PM

This thread is dying now...

I need a little guidance too. I applied for DSO 3 weeks ago and just got an email scheduling me for an "oral examination" .

What am I in for? I was expecting to start with the written exam. I passed the DPO1 written exam last year, but those scores don't carry over do they?

Thank you!
Old 02-09-2017, 7:08 PM

They may have used last years written score. I dont know exactly what the oral will be but most orals will ask you a few questions such as what is the job you are applying for. What have you done to prepare for the position, what qualifies you for the position and perhaps what would you bring to the department. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2017, 7:40 PM

Thanks, CaptMike.

I was unsure whether I should treat this as an interview or not; it sounds like I should.

Based on their wording I thought it might be a written exam, but with a different format like oral instructions/questions from the proctor.
Old 02-10-2017, 7:07 AM

Great Forum....I've been reading for a while now.... CaptMike I had a question in regards to promoting to DPO from DSO. I have my oral for dso scheduled next week. I'm coming over from the Sheriffs Department, and I have my B/A degree. I was wondering how long I would have to wait before i'm able to promote to dpo 1 and dpo 2.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2017, 6:29 AM

The promotion rate is based on our ability to hire new DSOs and GSNs. Once we hire new DSO/ GSN officers, that allows the current DSO/GSN officers to promote to DPO I. Once those promotions occur, those promoted DPO I will allow an equal number to promote out to the field as a DPO II. The problem is that we cant find many qualified candidates to take the DSO/GSN new hire slots.

The current generation has alot of kids that think its cool to smoke weed the week before a law enforcement polygraph. We would love to run acadamies with 70 or 80 recruits, but the reality is that we can only hire 25 or maybe 30 per class. This is barely keeping up with attrition. You will get promoted, but at the current rate, it may take 3 or 4 years to make DPO I and may take another 3 or 4 years for DPO II.

We have a new chief that is talking about repairing some of the infrastructure of our department. If they grow the hiring unit then we might be able to process more people and bump these academy numbers. If that happens, then we might be able to have promotions to dpo I in a year and DPO II in 2 years again.

Good luck.
Old 02-11-2017, 7:58 AM

Hey Capt Mike,

Do you know when the next dpo1 academy is set to begin? Also had a question about the peocess. I completed the poly about 3 weeks ago. About two weeks after completing the poly I was scheduled for psych and medical. Does that mean then polygraph was passed?

I was in band one with a score of 100. I'm assuming if they schedule psych and medical then the poly was passed?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by soongermagic; 02-11-2017 at 11:48 AM..
Old 02-11-2017, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johen498 View Post
Great Forum....I've been reading for a while now.... CaptMike I had a question in regards to promoting to DPO from DSO. I have my oral for dso scheduled next week. I'm coming over from the Sheriffs Department, and I have my B/A degree. I was wondering how long I would have to wait before i'm able to promote to dpo 1 and dpo 2.

Thanks
Unless you are not a Deputy Sheriff, why would you want to leave the Sheriffs Dept to go to Probation? Not intending this to be a slam to LA County Probation, but some of the DSOs in Juvi Hall, I've interacted with in the past are not very professional. The field DPOs where professional (but unarmed). This was back in early 2000's. Unless things have changed???
Old 02-11-2017, 12:39 PM

Working for the department, I would have agreed with you back in the late 90s to early 2000s. We have made many changes in the department in this last decade. Our background process is now at the same level as any other department, in fact, all our polys are done by our brothers in LASD. Our training was revamped back in 2006 with the help of a training LT from LASD. He spent a year assigned to our department helping us improve training and the hiring process. The deputies entering the department now and making it through the academy are well vetted. Additionally, we changed our policy for arming our field officers. It used to be inly a very small number in special assignments were armed, 16 total. Now our policy says that if you work a field item and you request arming, you will get armed as long as you can pass the 7 week arming academy. We are up to about 100 armed deputies at this point and those numbers will continue to grow. We are a very different department now. Do we still have some problem folks, of course we do just like every other department.

We have hired a large number of LASD security officers and even a few deputies. Some folks may want to do something different. I have a coworker who was with LASD as a deputy for 7 years but was tired of the politics at the time. He came over to us and has now been here for 10 years and is out in the field doung a great job.

The only downside we have is that our pay and our retirement is not at the level of LASD deputies until you work your way to the DPO II field position. I really enjoy working with kids that are lost. I dont really want to push a radio car. I have immense respect for those that do make the choice to push that radio car and be that front line person. But working with these hardened gang kids is my preference. I have an LT friend of mine with LASD that has told me that he could never do what I do because he does not have the patience to work with our clientele.

Ultimately, I love working for my department. Did i think about quiting 18 years ago when i started and met some of those unprofessional folks that were here, yes. But instead of quiting i chose to stick around and do my part to change the department for the better. Respect and professionalism are two keys to changing any organisation. We still have our problems, but i know that professionalism and respect continue to grow in my department. We are not paid as well and we have to work longer for a good retirement but ultimately we are doing our part for the community.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:46 PM

Soongermagic

I believe the next academy class is march 3. If they scheduled you then you most likely passed the poly. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2017, 5:29 PM

Thanks Capt Mike... I couldn't have said it better. Personally for me it's preferance..I'm a c/a at ttcf, Many of the inmates have no interest in rehabilitation, and there are many career criminals. If I can be an influence to redirect the path of a minor, that's changing lives,not just baby sitting criminals. In law enforcement it has to be about more than money, and retirements because on any day your life can change.My passion is helping kids because when I was young someone helped me.
Old 02-11-2017, 5:39 PM

Thanks Capt Mike... I couldn't have said it better. Personally for me it's preferance..I'm a c/a at ttcf, Many of the inmates have no interest in rehabilitation, and there are many career criminals. If I can be an influence to redirect the path of a minor, that's changing lives,not just baby sitting criminals. In law enforcement it has to be about more than money, and retirements because on any day your life can change.My passion is helping kids because when I was young someone helped me.
Old 02-13-2017, 3:56 PM

Did anyone else apply for the latest DSO bulletin that opened January 19th?
Old 02-15-2017, 4:24 AM

I did....I had already passed a written test so I went straight to the interview process. If you didn't take the written test yet a buddy of mine received his 2 weeks ago.
Old 02-15-2017, 7:55 AM
Banned

So with prop 47 and Prop 57 you are basically an underpaid parole agent with no gun? Seems legit.
Old 02-15-2017, 8:28 AM

Hey vairox

You actually meen AB 109. You are correct, besides supervising county probationers, we took supervision from parole of all state inmates released under AB109. It created about 400 additional peace officer positions. Our pay and equipment may not be the best, but one thing we can say is that we dont lay people off. In fact, when parole layed off all those folks, a whole bunch came over to us. I know i met one guy who had been layed off twice with parole and came to us to stay.
Old 02-15-2017, 2:11 PM

Hi Capt Mike,
I applied for the DSO Position on Jan 31, and have not received a date to take the written test yet. Do you know if they are still testing for this position?
Old 02-15-2017, 6:15 PM

johen, I also went straight to the interview; I passed the test last year. My interview is coming up in 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn07 View Post
Hi Capt Mike,
I applied for the DSO Position on Jan 31, and have not received a date to take the written test yet. Do you know if they are still testing for this position?
I'm sure they are. Its only been 2 weeks. Is this you're first time applying? You'll find that you need a lot of patience with the process.

Have you checked your application history on the website where you applied? At least you can get an idea of your application's movement. Mine looks like this.

01/26/2017 11:40 AM
Application Processed

01/26/2017 08:49 AM
Application Processed

01/23/2017 08:54 AM
Application Processed

01/23/2017 08:52 AM
APPLICATION PROCESSED

01/19/2017 06:53 PM
Application Received

I applied on 1/19 and was notified 2/9 about an interview.
Old 02-16-2017, 8:08 AM

Hi anon8167,
It says my application was received and processed. The last activity on my application was on 2/02/2017 at 11:00am where its stated it was processed, after that there is nothing. Hopefully I hear something soon. Do you have any tips on taking the test, as what I should be studying more. I want to make sure I pass it. I know they have a study guide online, but is there anything else. Also what score must you receive to go onto the next round? Thank you so much.
Old 02-16-2017, 4:17 PM

Hello. The process for most law enforcement jobs will be anywhere from 9 months to a year and a half.

Study the study guide, it will prepare you well. Read all 31 pages of this thread and most of your questions will be answered. Good luck.

Last edited by CaptMike; 02-18-2017 at 12:48 PM..
Old 02-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Capt. Mike,

Is being in a gang well over 10 years ago when I was an early teen a disqualification? I grew up in a gang infested neighborhood and I fell into it. However, I have changed my life and have not associated with any of that nature for about 12 years now. I work with in a group home where they send us troubled youth on probation. I enjoy helping them and making them realize that the gang life is a waste of time. I also work for the DA's office Victim's Bureau. I truly enjoy making a difference in my community. I come with alot of education (AA in Social and Behavioral Sciences; AS in Admin of Justice; Bachelor's Sociology: Social Welfare and Social Justice) and life experience. I simply made some mistakes as a youth that I have corrected and succeeded. Yes, I smoked weed 2x and I used meth 1X when I was 13 years old.
Please give me any advise for such background like mine. Is any of this auto DQ? My plan is to be truthful before this way I don't waste the departmen's time or mine. Oh ya, I'm 28 now. All this happen before 18th b-day. Any feedback is appreciated. I recently applied for the DSO position, that's why I am concerned.