Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:05 PM
Head Janitor

Default NRA Needs Help in So Cal

The NRA is asking for 'boots on the ground' type help in the So Cal mountains, if you hike, mountain bike, camp or recreate in any way in the areas mentioned below please contact Paul Payne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Paul Payne View Post
“Volunteers needed to aid in a scientific study conducted by the NRA. This study will need soil and paint samples from various sources at the top of peaks within the wilderness throughout Southern California (in the Los Padres National Forest of Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and Ventura counties) and in Central California near Big Sur and Carmel (in Monterey County). Volunteers must be able to partake in a strenuous hike, between 8 and 12 miles round trip with as much elevation gain as 3000’, while carrying a backpack to hold scientific equipment and sample containers (no more than 30-40lbs). These sites may require the use of ATV’s in order to reach them. Volunteers must have meticulous record keeping abilities as well as a familiarity with GPS and camera devices. Detailed sampling protocols, as well as directions and equipment, will be supplied to volunteers after interest in this study is shown. Volunteers will be coordinating closely with scientists from the NRA as they sample and hike to these sites in order to ensure accuracy of sampling, as well as aiding the volunteer with any questions or directions they may need in order to locate the sites and comply with the scientific protocol. Thank you very much for your interest, and aid in helping this important scientific study.”

I have been asked recruit some volunteers for this project. It will not be a sexy/attention-grabbing effort. But the results of your sample gathering tasks will be extremely valuable to the NRA's efforts for a long time to come.

Please consider this request carefully. This is not something that is a good fit for everyone. And if you volunteer to complete this task, we will be counting on you to follow through.

Thank you for your consideration.

Paul

Edit: If you would like to volunteer for this project, please contact me at < nrausmc@earthlink.net >. I am not able to log onto the forums often, so I might not see your response if you post it here.

The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:55 AM

Why do they need "paint samples" from mountain peaks? What are they doing with the information?
Old 05-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb58 View Post
Why do they need "paint samples" from mountain peaks? What are they doing with the information?

No doubt to combat the lead ammo ban being proposed to save the condors.

Old paint used to have lead in it.

NRA is getting ahead of the SOBs on this and is clearly out to debunk any cooked data
the antis will use against us.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 05-04-2013, 1:48 PM

If I was still in SoCal I would be all over this.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:17 AM

It sound's like an amazing chance for CGN to help preempt some of the "science" coming from those opposed to our civil liberties. I wish I could help. Unfortunately, I am a little far north and just had ligaments fixed in my ankle, so I wouldn't be much help now.

Go get em Calguns!
Old 06-23-2013, 6:12 PM

Yeah, I've got to make excuses, too. In my case, I'm too damn old to make the trek. Twenty-five years ago, I'd have been there. Good on ya', mates!
Old 07-10-2013, 9:38 AM

**edit** just realized this is several months old...

I'm in for Ventura County...*
Old 08-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow, missed this. Anyone volunteer for this or hear about it recently?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14