Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 04-08-2020, 9:23 PM

Default Want to get my first gun

I’d been wanting to get my first gun well before the corona virus jacked everything up. Is it even possible to get into a shop and get a good semi-auto right now? Any advice is welcome!
Old 04-08-2020, 9:25 PM

My prices on new stuff is still my same old everyday prices. But because of that when we do get a shipment they sell within minutes
Old 04-08-2020, 10:09 PM

I’m located in Orange County, CA, where are you, and if shipments sell out in minutes, how does a person know when and what shipments come in?
Old 04-08-2020, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

I recommend that you wait a few months, then go to a range with a friend and rent a variety of guns, I only say with A friend because most ranges won’t let solo people rent a gun. If you need a gun right away do to fear’s of the current climate I would suggest a cheap pump shotgun, Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaCarrr View Post
I’m located in Orange County, CA, where are you, and if shipments sell out in minutes, how does a person know when and what shipments come in?
I am in canyon lake. I let them know by posting it and also calling the people on my waiting list
Old 04-08-2020, 10:19 PM

I just bought a lower receiver from a gun shop and then I bought a full kit on PSA (Palmetto State Armory) website. The lower was 70$ plus the background check and the full kit was 399$. The full kit comes with an assembled upper, the stock and the stock kit and the full lower parts kit. However you could just buy an assembled lower on PSA for around 130$. They take a little longer to ship because of the panic buying but I bough mine on Apr 5 and it should arrive on Apr 12.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:25 PM

@Invincibull... I’m interested in a CZ 9mm, what are the chances of this coming available anytime soon? And could I be added to your waitlist?
Old 04-08-2020, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Don't go grocery shopping stoned, don't try to reconcile with your significant other drunk, and don't buy a gun during a frenzy.

I mean you can but you will probably regret your gun purchase since your selection is extremely limited.

Most important thing to consider is what do you want this gun to do? Semi auto what? Handgun, shotgun, rifle... it makes a big difference if you want a home defense hand gun or a hunting rifle or a sporting shotgun etc,

Easy answer is get a glock19, you can always sell it and get what you really want later but it will work, it is simple and it will hold its value. no idea why but some people will buy a used G19 on calguns for more than they go for new.... seriously no idea why this occurs but it happens all the time.

Good luck and be safe, get proper training and practice proper gun safety always.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:39 PM

Default Thanks!

Agree with everything you said. And that’s why I’m probably not going to buy until the panic buying subsides, but again, I was already planning to buy before the panic hit. I have shot some rented guns at a local range, including a glock 19, and a CZ, and I liked the CZ better.

I’m sure I will eventually own more than one gun, and while I value home safety, I’m not super concerned about my home safety, and just want a fun range gun or two. I do also understand the basics of firearm safety (always assume the weapon is loaded, never point at anything you don’t want to destroy, never put your finger on the trigger until you’re ready to fire, etc. etc).

Always appreciate hearing from people who know more than I do though!
Old 04-08-2020, 11:52 PM

Definitely try a bunch of different ones. Go with the one that fits you best. Cz’s are really good guns you can’t go wrong there. I’d suggest also trying some Sigs, berettas and HKs.