Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 06-07-2016, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
I'm not really big on the bushcraft axe craze that is sweeping the internet.

Sure, they're small enough to carry but for the same or less weight I could carry something like a silky saw and a fixed blade. Or ideally a folding saw, a small hatchet and a small fixed blade.

Sure it sounds nice to have one tool that does many things, but what if it breaks? Like a friend of mine used to say, Two is one, One is none.
I don't think anyone here was advocating going out in the woods with only an axe. I'll always have a knife on my belt no matter what. Saws are great too and there are plenty of times when the axe stays home and a saw and knife are the only cutting tools I bring. Hard to beat an axe for outright efficiency though; one whack on each side of a 2-3 inch thick log then a quick kick and boom you just snapped it in half. A saw will still take a little time to go through it. An axe in the right hands will give you a larger pile of wood in a shorter amount of time than a guy with a saw every time.

Speaking of saws though, have you guys checked out the Boreal 21 folding bucksaw? Looks to be a really effective design. Dave Canterbury has a video on it and says he likes it better than even the Bob Dustrude saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingotech View Post
Bragging about you razor-sharp axes and hatchets? Noobs...
Nah, some of us just take pride in maintaining our tools properly and keeping them sharp.
Old 06-07-2016, 6:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The Gransfors Bruk Wildlife Hatchet only weights 1.5 pounds. It's small enough to fit in a backpack. For me, I consider it another tool for processing wood.

It will split wood. If I want 'rounds' to split, the Silky 500 is available. Filet a fish, cut some cord, cut meat......MORA Classic. 5 ounces.

Still have room for a big knife if desired but mainly for battoning 6 inch logs.
Not a number one concern.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 06-07-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt16 View Post

Nah, some of us just take pride in maintaining our tools properly and keeping them sharp.
Amen to that brother. Take care of your tools and they'll take care of you.

My point about axes was more along the lines of this, now I'm not referring to this thread in particular but more towards the survival/bushcraft culture in general. I think that the whole bushcraft axe GFB/Wetterlings love affair that the community is experiencing is a lot of people jumping on a bandwagon without really seeing if that item is really right for them and their use. For some people sure, it's going to work and they'll be happy.

Let's get something straight, they're fantastic axes. The craftsmanship is superb and it's cool to be able to support a company that still hires skilled artisans and keeps old skills alive. Over all it has been good for the outdoors minded community and has sparked a modern axe revival.

People who never thought they would buy an axe are doing so, and spending top dollar too.

My issue is that many people are infatuated with these mid sized axes without understanding that in essence they're a compromise. They aren't as small and nimble as a hatchet, nor do they split wood as well as many hatchets do (the head geometry is for cutting softwoods, not splitting), they're not carpenter's axes, nor are they ideal for processing game.

To be fair you can do all of these things with them, but there are better tools or even better axes/hatchets for those tasks. I'll say that they are fantastic for limbing downed trees though.

On the flip side, they don't cut like a full sized axe, a 3-4 lb felling axe of good quality will leave the smaller bushcraft axes in the dust. That isn't to say that they don't make full sized axes. If you search eBay you can find a ton of old double bit GFB axes in the 4lb range and they're still fantastic quality.

What I'm saying is that the smaller axes don't do the same work as easily as a full sized axe will. They won't throw chips as well as a felling axe, cruiser or Jersey double bit. They won't split hard wood as well either once again because of their narrow bit and geometry.

That's because they're a compromise. Which is fine. Much of what we do as survivalists is compromise, we do the best we can with what we have.

I'm just not as enamored with these mid sized axes as many have become. Because many people, especially on YouTube, view them as the best thing since ferro rods.

Meanwhile they glance over things like safety, or rather the inherent dangerousness of a light weight mid length handled axe.

So say I'm Joe Schmoe, I've bought my forest axe and I want to cut down my first tree. It's a small light axe head so I'm swinging it as hard and fast as I can to make those chips fly. Something goes wrong.

That axe continues it's arc and because the handle is so short it lodges in my shin. Or worse, maybe I'm not the most educated and I try to make a horizontal cut to clear some chips(you should always endeavor to cut downwards and away from your body).

That axe bounces and hits me in the face. Now I'm in real trouble.

A bigger axe with a longer handle that's designed for felling is going to do a better job and be safer. If I miss that down stroke and I'm positioned correctly that axe is going to go into the ground, not into me.

Now, you could kneel and use that mid sized axe much more safely, that way it too will find the ground instead of your dainty little piggies, but how many people know or are willing to do that? Maybe you do, but Joe Schmoe wouldn't.

The same goes for any wood prep. You can work safely with a mid sized axe. But how are you going to know how to work safely with it if you don't know that it's unsafe?

My point is this, if I'm doing hatchet work I want a hatchet. If I'm doing felling I want a felling axe. If I'm not going to be felling anything I'll take the hatchet. It was $13 at Lowe's and it processes firewood like a mofo. I bought it to do that one thing and it does so beautifully.

If I'm going to fell anything bigger around than my two hands can grasp... well... I'm not. I could, and I have, but I prefer not to.

The bigger the tree the more things that can go wrong. Broken branches can fall from the canopy and poke out your eye, splinters can explode out like shrapnel, it can hit another tree on the way down and shatter, and of course it can fall on you. Heck, you can do everything else right but cut it a little too high up and the thing will kick back at you half way down.

An axe may be quicker for those small trees you mentioned, but generally a saw is safer for the novice or even the tired or distracted professional. Ideally we would always be aware, bright eyed and fully focused, but as many of you are aware we live in an imperfect world.

I agree with you 100% that the man with an axe will get more firewood than the man with just a knife and a saw. But if I choose to bring an axe or axe like tool it's going to be the right sized axe for the job, and since I'm not going to be spending $150 for one axe I can afford to buy the right axes for all the jobs without compromising. Especially if I buy them used or restore an old classic.

Wouldn't that be something? Find some old piece of American history at a yard sale, breathe new life into it, put it back to use.

Some of these axes were handed down through the generations before they were forgotten and sold for $5 at a yard sale.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
It's a chopping tool, not a straight razor!
Old 06-08-2016, 1:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingotech View Post
It's a chopping tool, not a straight razor!
Shaving with a Gransfors Bruk.
Yeah, it's that sharp.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 06-08-2016, 1:57 PM

^^^ Awesome. Tell you what. Take that razor-sharp, perfectly honed ax (hatchet?) outside and take a few swings at a tree or some felled timber. Then try shaving again.

Last edited by Dingotech; 06-08-2016 at 2:34 PM..
Old 06-08-2016, 7:36 PM

It's a tool, you don't just sharpen it once or clean it once. You sharpen or clean it as needed. It's like saying, don't wash your car because it's going to eventually get dirty again.

To paraphrase one of our great presidents who happened to know a fair bit about the subject "Give me three hours to chop down a tree and I'll spend the first two sharpening my axe."

How an edge will perform and hold up is more dependent on geometry and metallurgy than whether it is sharp enough to shave with.

And sharp enough to shave with doesn't say much. Heck, some crazy Russian dude has videos of himself shaving with a sharpened shovel.

Something like that GFB axe is a very narrow bit hardened to a higher Rockwell hardness than a domestic axe. So it gets incredibly sharp and holds an edge... but it tends to chip.

Old 06-08-2016, 7:43 PM

And some splitting tools like mauls tend to perform better when comparatively dull. The big heavy dull maul will crush the wood it first comes in contact with and follow any natural cracks or weakness the round might have.

If it were razor sharp it wouldn't behave in the same manner.

Old 06-08-2016, 9:47 PM

^^^ Now that was instructive. Thank you Apollo.
Old 06-09-2016, 6:22 AM

Nice posts guys, jonnyt16 & Apollo (#43).

Which other maker's hatchets wound be a good comparison to the Hardcore Hatchet w/ 4140 "ordnance tool steel", 17 oz head (is that too light?) and 18" handle?

Would you put a lanyard on a hatchet Bushcraft?

What type of Bushcraft would this type of hatchet excel at vs a Cold Steel tomahawk and the heavier 18-19" handled forest type (imported) axes?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2016, 10:38 PM

I'd put a lanyard on a hatchet so it could be hung up for storage or on a broken off tree limb while I was cooking.

Sorry, I just now looked up the hatchet in question and couldn't help but snort with laughter. That "hardcore" survival hatchet is just a carpenter's hatchet like you might find at home depot for $30. It has a better level of fit and finish, but its not 4x as nice as an estwing. Or in the case of the zombie hatchet, twice as nice.

The design is made to carve wood. Very narrow with what looks like an asymmetrical bevel almost like a chisel. It will chop well, but it won't split without getting stuck.

That design of hatchet would rule for camp carpentry... but not much else.

When choosing a hatchet it definitely depends on what you want to do. You pick the tool to suit the task, not the other way around.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:58 PM

A better all around hatchet/small axe would have to be the Council Tool Velvicut Hudson Bay pattern.

Same price as their premium model, better steel, it can carve, split, chop. They even modified the eye so it grips the haft better.

The small forest axes are going to chop down trees about as well as the Hudson Bay. Definitely carve wood better. They might split better than a small hatchet... but that's just because of the longer handle. They have a narrow bit instead of the wedge shaped bit used for splitting and chopping down hardwoods.

The tomahawk is going to make nice kindling, take way too many whacks to cut down anything, but it will be easier to throw and fight with. It won't split even medium sized wood though.

If I was looking for just a good general use hatchet, just buy something cheap and use the heck out of it. See what you like and what your needs really are.

A hatchet you actually use and have practiced with is worth ten collecting dust because they didn't meet your needs.

I use a $13 Stanley with a 12" handle. I modified the profile with a stone to fit my needs, sharpened it up, and it has worked ever since.

Old 06-10-2016, 6:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Gee....this axe collection is way more fun than my Barbie Doll stash.....F

I found some leather on EBay.....

Old 06-10-2016, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Gee....this axe collection is way more fun than my Barbie Doll stash.....F

I found some leather on EBay.....

I'm having impure thoughts about that axe, and I make no apologies for it.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:32 AM

Damn good looking axe there Oceanbob.
Old 06-12-2016, 5:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'm having impure thoughts about that axe, and I make no apologies for it.

Quote:
Damn good looking axe there Oceanbob.
Thanks guys.

Be well
Bob

Old 06-20-2016, 7:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I've been hunting for some leather bling for my Gransfors Bruk small forest axe.

Found a nice Sheath. Sure fits nicely. Fast service. 3 days.

Here:

http://reviewog.com/product/axe-shea...ll-forest-axe/

They make other sheaths for other models as well.

Be well
Bob

Old 06-21-2016, 12:16 AM

You always have the best toys, Bob. I'm envious.

https://youtu.be/XV4urlsAfBQ

Old 06-21-2016, 5:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You always have the best toys, Bob. I'm envious.

https://youtu.be/XV4urlsAfBQ

Wow....that's some real craftsmanship........

Thanks for the kudos and sharing your excellent work.

Be well
Bob

Old 06-21-2016, 6:12 PM

Anyone here in san diego and can put a good edge on an axe. I just picked up a husqvarna forest axe with 26" handle and need it up and running by sunday
Old 06-22-2016, 1:14 PM

Wood handles don't bother me. I have two hatchets: an old and reliable hand-me-down of some non branded manufacture that was passed to me from my grandfather, possibly hand made; and a Gerber light weight (for backpacking) hatchet.

These hardcore hatchets look sweet! I've added it to my wish list.
Old 06-22-2016, 5:22 PM

Rotgut, let me know your thoughts about the Hardcore Hatchet? Not sure it's an axe/ hatchet or tomahawk. Not heavy enough for a rigging axe. About the same weight as a finish hammer.
Old 06-22-2016, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesland View Post
Rotgut, let me know your thoughts about the Hardcore Hatchet? Not sure it's an axe/ hatchet or tomahawk. Not heavy enough for a rigging axe. About the same weight as a finish hammer.
As Apollo already mentioned, the "Hardcore Hatchet" is actually a carpenter's hatchet or some would call it a "half hatchet". In all honesty, if you're looking for something to take with you camping or backpacking I think you'll be better off with a real hatchet or a small/medium-sized axe like several of the ones shown in this thread. Edge and cheek geometry is what its all about. In the end though just stick with your personal preference; it will be you using the tool, not anyone else here so if its the Hardcore Hatchet or something similar that you prefer then by all means buy it and enjoy it. It will probably fulfill most of your needs anyway.
Old 06-25-2016, 6:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The question of Splitting Rounds easily got me motivated to look into
A "splitting Axe". Since this is my hobby this month (HELP ME) I went ahead and
Got sucked into my favorite Gransfors Bruk website and bought this Hatchet.

https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment...g-hatchet.html

Yeah, they call it a hatchet but it's the same exact length as the Gransfors Bruk
Small Forest Axe. At 19 inches in the handle length. The splitting axe is a few inches longer but has the same weight head.

My wife thinks I own 3 wooden hatchets. The rest are in my reloading room under a table...... ...I did notice she has a lock on her shoe closet...

Anyway, she arrived today and I must say the splitting head is very sharp and the V is pronounced. It is noticeably heavier. So my number one grandson
Will be assigned to carry it to our family camping picnic this 4th of July.

40 people are expected........... Probably too hot for a fire.....but who cares....we need S'mores and hotdogs on a stick....

On the left

Be well

Bob

Old 06-28-2016, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
I've been hunting for some leather bling for my Gransfors Bruk small forest axe.

Found a nice Sheath. Sure fits nicely. Fast service. 3 days.

Here:

http://reviewog.com/product/axe-shea...ll-forest-axe/

They make other sheaths for other models as well.

Be well
Bob

I've been looking at that same sheath. How are you liking it so far?

Here's a nice hatchet for sale too, BTW....

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1213448

Old 06-29-2016, 4:06 PM

Default Bummer!

Well it finally happened. I managed to royally screw up the edge on my GB Wildlife Hatchet . Went on a four-wheeling/camping trip last weekend and was splitting some wood for our fire when after the log split the hatchet continued down right in to a rock. And yes I was using some logs for a base but somehow the hatchet missed them and hit the ground. The problem was I was trying to do too much with that little hatchet....trying to split rounds that were just a little too big for what that thing can handle and so was having to use alot of force.

Going to take a file and a sharpening puck to it within the next few days to fix it. You can see the damage on the toe of the bit.

Old 06-29-2016, 8:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Dang Jonny....!

That will buff right out......

Since you're 4 wheel drive car transport bring along a splitting hatchet.

Yeah, backpacking a splitting hatchet is too heavy. Double weight of a Small Forest Axe.

Wish I had the time to camp on weekends locally.

Be well
Bob

Last edited by Oceanbob; 06-30-2016 at 4:17 AM..
Old 06-29-2016, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK LION View Post
Wood handles scare me...
The Eastwing will win in the end once the head starts to separate from the wood handle on other brands...
Estwing framing axe I found in the middle of an intersection.
I took a grinder to it and made a tomahawk.
This thing will last forever.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

NRA Member
Old 07-01-2016, 4:09 PM

So my boss let us go super early today which was awesome and so I had time this afternoon to work on the Wildlife Hatchet. Used a Bahco double-sided file and the GB round stone. If you own an axe those are your friends. Anyway, you can see the difference from the photo a few posts above. Back to razor sharp baby!

Old 07-01-2016, 5:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Good job..!

Have a great 4th weekend. Don't cut yourself...haha.

Be well
Bob

Old 07-15-2016, 7:58 PM

So I'm close to ordering my Velvicut Hudson Bay, probably this weekend. Next month I'm planning a backpacking trip up in the Sierras where I'm going to try and bring very little gear...knife, saw, axe, tarp, a pot, paracord, some food, and that's about it, maybe a couple other things. Sort of like Alone except I'll only be there for 3 nights -- hey, there's no 500k cash prize at the end of this lol -- but should give me a chance to test out the new axe.

Anyway, was also looking at some of John Neeman's stuff. He definitely makes some nice things. No, I probably wouldn't pay this much for an axe but they sure are nice to look at and admire. Here's his site if you're interested...scroll down to his Northlander Forest Axes and hatchets... http://www.neemantools.com/en/products/axes

Old 07-16-2016, 5:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Jonny....
Have fun camping. Take some photos for us.

That Neenman tool link is awesome. I don't know if I would pay $500 bucks for
an axe, but wow, it's Art Work.

Be well and take care of yourself

Bob

Old 07-18-2016, 4:15 PM

So I've been debating on doing this to one of my axes. I like the burnt grain look that some custom makers have on their handles so over the weekend I decided to practice on my framing hammer. Sanded it down first then took a torch to it then a coat of linseed oil and a little bit of stain. Let it dry then finished her off with some 0000 steel wool and now she's smooth as glass. My Velvicut Hudson Bay should be arriving by the end of the week and I may or may not treat the handle this way. We'll see. Here's how the hammer turned out: