Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:08 AM

Default New Trijicon SRO

This looks like a very nice Red dot sight for a pistol/rifle etc.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-reflex-optic/
After watching the video it seems like they really addressed any issues people had with the type1/2 RMR sight. I like that they kept the same mounting pattern.
I'm not sure how it will fit in most current holsters as it looks like it bulges out a bit compared to the RMR.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-25-2019, 10:47 AM
Calguns Addict

It think this is long overdue by Trijicon. They've been getting their butts kicked by Leupold and Sig in competitive circles since those two have much larger glass than the RMR. I didn't see a price though. Hopefully they'll be competitively priced rather than making it unobtanium like they usually do with most of their products.

I see 2 problems with the new design though. First, it doesn't have a shake awake feature. So that means you have to manually turn it on - Which isn't good for a duty/CCW optic or a beside gun. It's fine for competition though.

Second, a 3 year battery life isn't that great. It's good, but not great. Especially comparing against optics like the Holosun 507 and 508. At least it's better than Leupold and Sig.

Holster fit shouldn't be a problem. Just cut/sand away a little kydex if it is.

The extended length of the optic might be a problem for some slides though.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 04-25-2019, 10:55 AM

Priced at $749 it’s hardly affordable, but you get what you pay for and it’s a much needed update.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:10 AM

They have them for $495 right now here:
https://www.armsunlimited.com/Trijic...-p/2500002.htm
Old 04-25-2019, 12:55 PM

Few vendors online already offering these for $495 as a pre order. I have type 1 and type 2 RMR’s and never felt that the small window was that big of a deal. When you shoot with both eyes open, you don’t notice the window anyways. The significant blue tint on the RMR always bothered me more than the size of the window itself.

That being said, I’ll probably end up getting one of these SRO’s just because.
Old 04-25-2019, 2:18 PM
Banned

I don't think that's a crazy MSRP, probably averaging $650 on the street.

That's about what the best red dot sights for rifle/picatinny mounts go for.

If it's as good as I'm hearing I might actually make the switch to a red dot on my pistol.
Old 04-25-2019, 5:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMIS300 View Post
Few vendors online already offering these for $495 as a pre order. I have type 1 and type 2 RMR’s and never felt that the small window was that big of a deal. When you shoot with both eyes open, you don’t notice the window anyways.
When you shoot for speed, it makes a huge difference. That's why almost no one competes with RMR's in the top ranks. It's no surprise that the top optics are those with the biggest glass and the least popular are those with the smallest glass.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 04-25-2019, 5:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
I don't think that's a crazy MSRP, probably averaging $650 on the street.

That's about what the best red dot sights for rifle/picatinny mounts go for.

If it's as good as I'm hearing I might actually make the switch to a red dot on my pistol.
$495 as a pre-order I can admit is acceptable. $650 puts them far above the competition. $749 MSRP is typical unobtanium pricing that you see from Trijicon.

When you can get a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro for $249, a Sig Sauer Romeo1 for $215, or a Holosun 507c for $235, very few will pick up the SRO for $650 unless it has bigger glass than everyone else.

Old 04-25-2019, 6:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
$495 as a pre-order I can admit is acceptable. $650 puts them far above the competition. $749 MSRP is typical unobtanium pricing that you see from Trijicon.

When you can get a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro for $249, a Sig Sauer Romeo1 for $215, or a Holosun 507c for $235, very few will pick up the SRO for $650 unless it has bigger glass than everyone else.
From what I'm hearing this optic is far far better than any of the competition listed. Thus far the reviews are that it's incredibly fast and easy to pick up the dot, which has been what's kept me (and probably many others) from going RMR in the past.
Old 04-25-2019, 8:11 PM

Uploaded a side by side size comparison of SRO and RMR:

https://youtu.be/pbVfQkLOVY8

Old 04-26-2019, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post

Thank you, looks great compared to the RMR.
I decided to take the plunge and ordered one. Going to need to buy a slide now
Old 04-26-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMIS300 View Post
Few vendors online already offering these for $495 as a pre order. I have type 1 and type 2 RMR’s and never felt that the small window was that big of a deal. When you shoot with both eyes open, you don’t notice the window anyways. The significant blue tint on the RMR always bothered me more than the size of the window itself.

That being said, I’ll probably end up getting one of these SRO’s just because.
What other vendors are selling the SRO besides Arms Unlimited? After the SCM fiasco, I don't plan on ordering anything from them since It'll probably be shipped sometime in 2020.
Old 04-26-2019, 4:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post

Thanks for the photo. Now I'd like to see the the SRO against the DPP.

Last edited by k1dude; 04-27-2019 at 5:39 PM..
Old 04-27-2019, 5:47 AM

Looks like the old CMore
Old 04-28-2019, 1:14 AM

Not bad. Price is average really. Probably in a few months it will be down to the high $300s on BDU.com. They are already offering the the type 1s or 2s for $369 OTD. And reality in freestates is no RMR should be over $400. Thats how it is here. Folks just wont spend that type of money on them. So they go for cheap.

US Military Veteran 1994-2015
Old 04-28-2019, 10:23 AM

Anyone ever consider the INSIGHT MRDS?......
Old 06-02-2019, 1:47 AM

Good for competition. Bad for combat. Trijicon admits the sro is much more fragile than the RMR.
Old 06-02-2019, 5:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo4kilo View Post
Trijicon admits the sro is much more fragile than the RMR.
Do you have a link to this surprising admission?

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 06-02-2019 at 5:21 AM..
Old 06-02-2019, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo4kilo View Post
Good for competition. Bad for combat. Trijicon admits the sro is much more fragile than the RMR.

I was wondering about this. The one feature of the RMR that makes it a standout among all pistol mounted red dots is it’s ability to withstand a direct drop to the ground. This is due to it’s horned shape at the top
of the optic which will absorb impact if you drop the pistol slide down and directly onto the optic. Every other red dot fails this test, especially those with rounded or flat tops. The result is a cracking of the window.

The SRO seems particularly vulnerable to this with it’s high rounded shape. Haven’t seen any drop tests so far with the SRO but don’t be surprised if it fails the drop test miserably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2019, 8:53 AM
Veteran Member

It looks good but I think it would be better if they kept the square window shape of the RMR and just made it bigger.
Old 06-04-2019, 8:55 AM
Banned

I pre-ordered it for 500 bucks. Just waiting for it to ship
Old 06-04-2019, 10:58 AM

I hear that it's geared towards competition (which is just my game!). I can't (and won't) comment on duty use. It will be interesting to see durability testing (e.g., Sage Dynamics).

I can appreciate the larger window. The first time I saw it I couldn't help but think

Elliott . . .

Old 06-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez805 View Post
I hear that it's geared towards competition (which is just my game!). I can't (and won't) comment on duty use. It will be interesting to see durability testing (e.g., Sage Dynamics).

I can appreciate the larger window. The first time I saw it I couldn't help but think

Elliott . . .

Hahahaha I’m dying. You butthole now next seeing an ugg boot every time I pick up my scar I’m going to hear phone home every time I shoot my Glock.
Old 06-04-2019, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
It think this is long overdue by Trijicon. They've been getting their butts kicked by Leupold and Sig in competitive circles since those two have much larger glass than the RMR. I didn't see a price though. Hopefully they'll be competitively priced rather than making it unobtanium like they usually do with most of their products.

I see 2 problems with the new design though. First, it doesn't have a shake awake feature. So that means you have to manually turn it on - Which isn't good for a duty/CCW optic or a beside gun. It's fine for competition though.

Second, a 3 year battery life isn't that great. It's good, but not great. Especially comparing against optics like the Holosun 507 and 508. At least it's better than Leupold and Sig.

Holster fit shouldn't be a problem. Just cut/sand away a little kydex if it is.

The extended length of the optic might be a problem for some slides though.
You leave it on for 3 years before the battery dies without turning it off. That may not be "good", but all you have to do is replace the battery once a year. Pick a date. I do 1/1. I really don't think battery life is all that big of an issue in the case of the SRO, especially when you look at how durable trijicon is compared to the other MRDS on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Do you have a link to this surprising admission?
In a video the Trijicon salesman recommended SRO for carry/3gun and RMR for duty use. The round shape of the SRO means it is going to be less reslient than the RMR.

But no, there is no definitive proof or any testing that I have seen which indicates the SRO is fragile.

Last edited by wireless; 06-04-2019 at 1:26 PM..
Old 06-04-2019, 4:03 PM

I believe the SRO is going to start shipping this month. I have one on order and am patiently standing by for it.

I decided to invest in it due to the larger/taller window. THe most common presentation misalignment, especially for Glock, puts the Dot just above the viewing range of most reflex sights... the SRO seems to be just tall enough to make the Dot visible for a quick correction, whenever misaligned. To borrow the term from Golf, Tennis, Surfing etc... it's "more forgiving."

Now, exactly who said the SRO is "much more fragile" than the RMR? That sounds like FUD to me.

About the battery life - Who cares if the battery is 3 or 4 years? It is a $2 battery. You don't even need to re-zero.

About the lack of Motion Sensor - Nobody cares about this either. In fact, it's another thing that can fail (as evidenced by some users having to return certain Holosun 507C's that were otherwise working except for the Motion Sensor).

I sure would like to see Aaron @ Sage Dynamics put it through his test. Shouldn't be too long before that's out too.
Old 06-04-2019, 4:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberetta View Post
I believe the SRO is going to start shipping this month. I have one on order and am patiently standing by for it.

I decided to invest in it due to the larger/taller window. THe most common presentation misalignment, especially for Glock, puts the Dot just above the viewing range of most reflex sights... the SRO seems to be just tall enough to make the Dot visible for a quick correction, whenever misaligned. To borrow the term from Golf, Tennis, Surfing etc... it's "more forgiving."

Now, exactly who said the SRO is "much more fragile" than the RMR? That sounds like FUD to me.

About the battery life - Who cares if the battery is 3 or 4 years? It is a $2 battery. You don't even need to re-zero.

About the lack of Motion Sensor - Nobody cares about this either. In fact, it's another thing that can fail (as evidenced by some users having to return certain Holosun 507C's that were otherwise working except for the Motion Sensor).

I sure would like to see Aaron @ Sage Dynamics put it through his test. Shouldn't be too long before that's out too.
Yup, I definitely do want a motion sensor in my optic. I had one in a leupold scope and it was annoying as hell.

I have not yet bought an SRO because I would like to see some durability reviews first, but I am really interested in getting the 2.5moa for a SBR and lightweight rifle
Old 06-04-2019, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD338 View Post
Looks like the old CMore
Or the plastic OKO. The OKO was the 1st optic I had on my AR. Worked great except for the plastic mounts.
Old 06-05-2019, 8:19 AM

Quote:
I heard orders were in route from Trij, should not be long!
Old 06-06-2019, 9:09 AM

^^ great, thanks for the update
Old 06-07-2019, 9:19 AM
Banned

Damn. One thing I didn’t consider is trying to find a holster that accommodates this new shape.

Anyone know of one that might work?
Old 06-07-2019, 1:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
Damn. One thing I didn’t consider is trying to find a holster that accommodates this new shape.

Anyone know of one that might work?
If your holster can clear and RMR the SRO should work too. You might have to get out a file and shave down your holster if the RMR is meant to slide into the holster instead of having a RMR cutout. For example this holster has the RMR space cut out (stealth gear ventcore).

Old 06-10-2019, 9:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

And the shipping date is...

Last edited by WingDings; 06-11-2019 at 10:47 AM..
Old 06-12-2019, 7:55 PM

New video on the SRO just released, probably the beginning of a lot more to come in the next few weeks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGMQHU9LFIc
Old 06-17-2019, 6:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

These things ever gunna be shipped?

Old 06-17-2019, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingDings View Post
These things ever gunna be shipped?

I believe they have started shipping.

But I'm still waiting on my number to be called:

Old 06-18-2019, 8:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I believe they have started shipping.

But I'm still waiting on my number to be called:

Cheers.
Old 06-18-2019, 6:36 PM

Here's a review from Aaron over at Sage Dynamics.

He goes into his reasoning as to why it wouldn't make for the best duty optic* (fragility), but he gives it high marks for brightness (including NV settings) and holding zero. It was neat to see it on a G18 going full auto.

One other thought was that due to the shape it will be tough to run irons forward.

@ 6:19 he brings up the blue tint and why you would want it (I personally never gave it much thought and was always curious as to why people complained about it). The blue tint on my optic never really bothered me.

*Don't turn it into a drinking game. Or do turn it into a drinking game. It's your call/liver.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:40 AM

wow.... that thing cracked like Humpty Dumpty, right on the very first drop too. Maybe they were right about it being much more fragile than the RMR after all.

When trijicon said that it may not be as Rugged as the RMR, they did say that in their tests, it still was more durable than any other competitor on the market. Yet, in Aaron's tests, other optics notably the Holosun 507C survived a lot better than the SRO did on drop tests.

I'm a bit bummed to see that happened as I intend the SRO for carry and expect that a tiny $500 optic will at least survive one of the drop tests.