Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-06-2019, 2:18 PM

Default Sig saur red dots?

Opinions? In a week from now Im going to get my first red dot sight and it going to be an aimpoint. In the off chance that I maybe overlooking anything, are sig saur red dot worth considering over an aimpoint?
Old 04-06-2019, 2:41 PM

Depends what you are using it for, if you're just using it for fun range plinking then there's really no need to go highend, but if you're using it for home defense or duty or where it might be used to save you or your family's life then the higher cost of Aimpoint is really a minor cost in the grand scheme. Sig red dot is a great value and can take a beating, there's a amateur YouTube video of a guy beating on it and even spraying it with shotgun pellets. But no, it's no Aimpoint, like comparing apples to oranges. BTW I have both and like them both very much for different purposes.
Old 04-06-2019, 5:42 PM

I don't see a reason you can't use it for duty or home defense. It's an excellent product.
Old 04-08-2019, 4:29 PM

Well I ended up making the purchase a little early and went with the aimpoint pro. Found it new on ebay for $409 otd. The seller/company I bought it from has sold several others, are based in the US, and have all positive reviews, so odds are it wont be fake lol.

From what I could tell the only advantage the comp m4 has is longer battery life and more variety for brightness settings. The brightness settings of the pro meet my expectations and I don't mind changing out the battery every 3 year should I decide to leave it turned on constantly isn't an issue.

So did I do good or did I mess up? Should I of just spent the extra $400 and went with the comp m4?

Last edited by Drair; 04-08-2019 at 4:47 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-08-2019, 4:40 PM

Have had 2 aimpoint pros for awhile and have no complaints. I prefer the trijicon MRO but the difference is small slightly higher quality piece i suppose.
Old 04-08-2019, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolybugger View Post
Have had 2 aimpoint pros for awhile and have no complaints. I prefer the trijicon MRO but the difference is small slightly higher quality piece i suppose.
The mro was a contender, but I wanted 30mm or more of objective view. How long have you run your pros for?
Old 04-09-2019, 7:15 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I'm not saying it is better, but I would put my Romeo4T up against a T2 any day of the week.

May not "win" but I'm confident itll give the T2 a run for its money.

-Matt S.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 04-10-2019, 10:42 AM

I have an Aimpoint PRO. The only thing I don't like about it is its use of some weird battery I've never heard of. It's like EIEIO or something. Other than that, you can rely on that thing.

Aimpoints are used by the US military, and it has proven itself to be reliable in all conditions. I have it on my duty M4 (USAF SF).

As for the sig red dot, I don't know much about it. I heard it's made by Holosun (Chinese brand), and just rebranded as Sig? A lot of people are starting to own Holosuns, but I just can't get myself to buy or rely on a Chinese-made red dot. Plus, it's not combat proven, like the Aimpoints are.
Old 04-16-2019, 7:57 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baekacaek View Post
As for the sig red dot, I don't know much about it. I heard it's made by Holosun (Chinese brand), and just rebranded as Sig? A lot of people are starting to own Holosuns, but I just can't get myself to buy or rely on a Chinese-made red dot. Plus, it's not combat proven, like the Aimpoints are.
Holosun makes the sights but Sig does QC on their end and does some final tweaks on the electronics. Sig is competing for mil and agency contracts, even getting some of them so while their stuff might not be "combat proven" there are models in their lineup being built and tested to combat standards.

Chinese made anything, knives or optics or whatever, really comes down to the brand (and if there is state side quality control in place).

It really has gotten a lot better in recent years. Just requires a little homework on the end user to make sure they aren't going with a fly by night company.

I've met with the Holosun team several times, all great guys and they are really trying to bring new things to the space at competitive price points. They are more responsive to feedback than Bushnell or other brands have been for a long time.

The Holosun 507c is a grand slam in my opinion

-Matt S.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 04-16-2019, 8:39 AM

My local PD where a few friends work just had Romeo’s put on all their duty rifles, they seem happy with them. They still have the option to use their own rifles and optics too.
Old 04-16-2019, 9:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticsPlanet View Post
Holosun makes the sights but Sig does QC on their end and does some final tweaks on the electronics.

-Matt S.
Do you have any details on the electronics tweaks that Sig does?

I have one 507c on a PPQ and I like it.
Old 04-16-2019, 7:36 PM

You meant a Sig Romeo Homeo dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drair View Post
Opinions? In a week from now Im going to get my first red dot sight and it going to be an aimpoint. In the off chance that I maybe overlooking anything, are sig saur red dot worth considering over an aimpoint?
Old 04-16-2019, 10:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post
Depends what you are using it for, if you're just using it for fun range plinking then there's really no need to go highend, but if you're using it for home defense or duty or where it might be used to save you or your family's life then the higher cost of Aimpoint is really a minor cost in the grand scheme. Sig red dot is a great value and can take a beating, there's a amateur YouTube video of a guy beating on it and even spraying it with shotgun pellets. But no, it's no Aimpoint, like comparing apples to oranges. BTW I have both and like them both very much for different purposes.
That's the SIG Romeo5. Lifetime warranty.
Old 04-17-2019, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
That's the SIG Romeo5. Lifetime warranty.
Not really. Lifetime warranty on non electronic components. Sig is deceptive like that
Old 04-17-2019, 6:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
Not really. Lifetime warranty on non electronic components. Sig is deceptive like that
They don't warranty the electronics "tweaks" they do? Hahah.
Old 04-17-2019, 4:32 PM

Yeah lifetime warranty is great, I own SIG, Holosun, Primary Arms and Vortex and like them for their excellent value. But I did spend a little more for my home defense optic as I didn't want to rely on finding out I need the warranty when I might actually need it to protect my family. It just depends what the use is for.
Old 04-21-2019, 7:34 PM

Recently built up a WASR and put a Romeo 4DR on it. It has the 65 MOA circle dot and I love how crisp the reticle is. Glass seems very decent too. I remember hearing that portions of the FBI are running SIG Romeos but I can't confirm that. Anyway, this is my first time dabbling in "cheaper" red dots as I've always been a Trijicon & Aimpoint guy. So far so good but only have around 300-400 rounds with it. I plan on running this AK pretty hard so it should be a good test. I'll report back if I encounter any issues with it.

Old 04-28-2019, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post
Both are absolutely just fine and will get the job done, regardless. I have owned both for years.

US Military Veteran 1994-2015
Old 04-28-2019, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califpatriot View Post
Simply not true.

I had electronic issues on my Bravo 4 and they fixed free of charge.

US Military Veteran 1994-2015
Old 04-28-2019, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless View Post
Simply not true.

I had electronic issues on my Bravo 4 and they fixed free of charge.
More than 5 years from purchase? I'm just going by the terms of their warranty...no experience with their out of warranty CS.
Old 04-28-2019, 6:50 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying it is better, but I would put my Romeo4T up against a T2 any day of the week.

May not "win" but I'm confident itll give the T2 a run for its money.

-Matt S.
++1
Old 04-28-2019, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Holosun makes the sights but Sig does QC on their end and does some final tweaks on the electronics. Sig is competing for mil and agency contracts, even getting some of them so while their stuff might not be "combat proven" there are models in their lineup being built and tested to combat standards.

Chinese made anything, knives or optics or whatever, really comes down to the brand (and if there is state side quality control in place).

It really has gotten a lot better in recent years. Just requires a little homework on the end user to make sure they aren't going with a fly by night company.

I've met with the Holosun team several times, all great guys and they are really trying to bring new things to the space at competitive price points. They are more responsive to feedback than Bushnell or other brands have been for a long time.

-Matt S.
What bothers me is the blatant rip off design of the aim point micro. Holoson including other Chinese factories have no regard for intellectual property.

They take the best product on the market and reverse engineer and copy it while undercutting the market. You can do that when you have no research and development costs involved. .......

I will admit I am a strong supporter of aim point and own the pro and micro. I will say the sig romeo5 is built well for the money it's hard to compete against it. We are talking 115 vs. 550...
Yes the Chinese are getting better....
Old 04-28-2019, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compshell View Post
What bothers me is the blatant rip off design of the aim point micro. Holoson including other Chinese factories have no regard for intellectual property.

They take the best product on the market and reverse engineer and copy it while undercutting the market. You can do that when you have no research and development costs involved. .......

I will admit I am a strong supporter of aim point and own the pro and micro. I will say the sig romeo5 is built well for the money it's hard to compete against it. We are talking 115 vs. 550...
Yes the Chinese are getting better....
Holosun is an American company that does business in America. It's subject to IP laws and would get sued if it violated them.
Old 04-29-2019, 7:48 AM

If you want to go by reputation and a sparkling retention of value then go Aimpoint. Even the beat up M2's still sell at a base price. t1's and t2's just lose a portion of their value and stay constant. Not to mention...they don't fail...don't have too many folks complaining about Aimpoint warranty... They just don't break down even with super abuse.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:21 AM

I've owned Aimpoint PRO's and Eotech's in the past but no longer have them.

For my HD set up I decided to go with a Green Dot Trijicon MRO.

As far as Sig, I recently found a great deal on a BNIB Sig Romeo 5 for under $100 on eBay so I snatched it up, This is for a range pinker only but so far I love it!!

The motion activation really works well so I assume one CR2032 battery will last forever on my range plinker. It shuts off after a short amount of time and then turns on at the slightest touch of movement. Nice feature that seems to be very reliable.

I think Sig Romeo 5 is a great option, considering the price point of around $120-$130.

Last edited by timbo399; 05-04-2019 at 10:32 AM..
Old 05-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo399 View Post

I think Sig Romeo 5 is a great option, considering the price point of around $120-$130.
I can't say anything bad about my Aimpoint PRO. MRO is good (I have one) but didn't come with as robust of a mount or any cover. But hey, RMR's don't even come with a battery cover, hahahah. Trij trying to shave costs so they don't have to charge $800 for a red dot, hahah.

For $120-$130 I love the HS503GU's - why not have a circle dot option if it is the same price.
Old 05-05-2019, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo399 View Post

As far as Sig, I recently found a great deal on a BNIB Sig Romeo 5 for under $100 on eBay so I snatched it up, This is for a range pinker only but so far I love it!!

The motion activation really works well so I assume one CR2032 battery will last forever on my range plinker. It shuts off after a short amount of time and then turns on at the slightest touch of movement. Nice feature that seems to be very reliable.

MROs look like super mario pipes. Im sure its a good optic but it always looked funny to me
Old 05-09-2019, 4:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baekacaek View Post
MROs look like super mario pipes. Im sure its a good optic but it always looked funny to me
Some people like Super Mario, and some people even like red dots that look like the Eye of Sauron or a bread box or a brick. Leupold and Vortex are making some real weird ones.
Old 06-12-2019, 8:49 PM

Proven Arms has the Romeo 7 right now for $200. Good price.

https://www.provenoutfitters.com/rom...t-sight-1x30mm