Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 03-21-2019, 2:17 PM

Default Deltapoint Pro vs. Holosun HE508T

Iím torn/split on deciding which mrds to get for my SHTF handgun. It will be mounted on a HK USP Elite .45 ACP. And for those of you who havenít heard of the HE508T yet, itís Holosunís newest model which is coming out on April 1st, 2019 (I hope it isnít a joke). Itís basically the same thing as the HS507C with the exception of a titanium housing. The pros and cons of each Iíve been debating are (the ones that are most important to me are marked with *):

DDP
Pros:
-*Easy access to battery housing for ease of battery changes
-Made by Leupold
-Wide window
-Durable
-True 1x (no magnification)
-Auto/manual mode

Cons:
-*Ultra short battery life
-Reliability issues with the functionality

Holosun HE508T
Pros:
-*Has a solar panel which does not require a battery to operate in daylight
-*~100,000 hours of battery life
-Durable
-Auto/manual mode
-Titanium housing
-*3 dot options (dot, dot in circle, just a circle)

Cons:
-*Requires the removal of the entire unit to change out the battery and itíll most likely need to be re-zeroed
-Smaller window
-Reliability issues
-Slight magnification

I personally prefer the dot in a circle sight picture on the Holosun and I really like the fact that it has a solar panel for when the battery dies or using solar energy instead of battery power.

It seems like Iíve already made up my mind, right? The thing that is making this decision difficult is the fact that if my battery dies in the Holosun during a SHTF situation, Iíd have to unscrew it then re-zero my handgun. Which I wouldnít have this issue with the DDP. But with the DDP, the battery life is so horrible that Iíd have to find new batteries for it every 6 months or so.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2019, 2:40 PM

If you cowitness the rmr to the iron suppressor sights, you should be able to re-zero the rmr without taking a shot even after a bettery swap. Im sure it would not be as good as actually putting it on paper but for close quarters work it should be more than adequate.
Old 03-21-2019, 2:52 PM

RMR all the way~~
Old 03-21-2019, 2:57 PM
Veteran Member

Aimpoint ACRO? Chunky, but it's closed to the elements.

Old 03-21-2019, 5:19 PM

The whole removal = re-zero is a non issue on Trijicon RMRs. The only reason you should have to rezero after removal would be if you didn't use good technique mounting or remounting.

Mounting screws should be lightly snugged, then fractionally progressed while alternating screws. This lets the screws mate to the mount evenly without too much stretching of the screw or its threads. It also helps to keep the RMR flat on the slide. Following the same procedure for a remount I've never had to re-zero more then a click or two in any direction. Inside 50 yards, that's still incredibly combat-effective

Maybe sights from other manufactures are less consistent the Trijicon's...

You list the Wide Window as a Pro for the Leupold. To me its actually a con as its wider then the slide profile which I would think would suck for IWB CCW. I also think the Leupold is too tall requiring significantly taller backup irons. I think the Holosun suffers from the same problem, but not quite as badly
Old 03-21-2019, 7:00 PM
Calguns Addict

For SHTF, I'd consider the RMR first. It's probably the toughest and has the longest record.

For competition, I'd consider the DPP 1st. the Sig Romeo1 2nd, and the Holosun 508 3rd. In competition, the biggest (highest) window is preferred so you don't lose the dot on recoil. But all 3 of these optics haven't been around as long as the RMR. So the reliability record isn't as comprehensive.

If your budget doesn't allow the RMR for SHTF, I'd probably buy the Holosun. The combination of features, price, and burly looking housing seem promising.

ďI would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!Ē - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 03-22-2019 at 7:40 AM..
Old 03-21-2019, 7:08 PM

I like the 508 personally.
Old 03-21-2019, 7:11 PM

So it seems like thereís a consensus so far that re-zeroing shouldnít be an issue and that rmr has a longer track record. @Mej16489 brought up a good point that the rmr sits lower than any other sights being that the rmrís front window is lower.

Iím planning on getting my slide milled out by Mark at L&M Precision Gunworks. For the HK slides, he makes a special plate to hold the rmr and the rear sight together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2019, 9:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
Aimpoint ACRO? Chunky, but it's closed to the elements.

Do you know anyone that has one? I like the idea of it being closed.
Old 04-12-2019, 9:24 PM

I have a holosun and a delta point pro. The breakdown is like this, Pro has better glass. Holosun has better, clearer reticle. I'm serious, I've got a holosun on my shotgun and the ring is insanely clear like something out of a video game.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:11 PM

you talk about the battery dying in a SHTF situation.. but it lasts 100k hours. that's literally more than 10 years. Change it out after 8 years if you're worried. Plus you should probably have suppressor height night sights and should be able to continue shooting even with it dead.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:40 PM

I have RMR type 2 and Holosun 507c on my 1911 and 2011, and I personally prefer 507C because it has larger window and glass has no magnification over 18 yard, clear picture at 22 yard indoor and 25 yard outdoor. On the other hand, I have a hard time to see the target through RMR type2 at 18 yard and beyond because the glass has a little magnification.