Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-09-2019, 3:17 PM
Veteran Member

Default Kahles k525i vs Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56 F1

I am looking for a new scope to put on my Savage 110 FCP HS PRECISION chambered in 338 Lapua. I used to have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 on the rifle which worked well on 1000 yards and closer, but when I finally took the range out to 1 mile, I grossly ran out of elevation, even with a 20MOA base.

My 6.5 Creedmoor runs a Kahles k624i with the SKMR3 reticle and I LOVE it. It too ran out of elevation at 1 mile on 20MOA base, but the reticle allowed accurate holdovers.

Doing some research I discovered Kahles just released the k525i which is very tempting as I like the SKMR3 reticle and I know the glass is damn good from my experience with the k624i... but for not a ton more I can get the Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56 F1 and the Mil-XT reticle seems comparable to the SKMR.

Does anyone have experience with the Nightforce? Am I wasting money on the higher magnification since I can't spot my shots well due to recoil even at 24x anyways? Just curious on feedback, if any.
Old 02-11-2019, 9:31 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Feel free to give us a call at 916-670-1103 and we'll answer any questions as we have a ton of experience with both scopes.
sales@cstactical.com
Click Here To Join our Facebook Fan Page

http://www.cstactical.com/images/stories/About%*0Us%*0Logo.001.jpg
Old 02-11-2019, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTactical View Post
Feel free to give us a call at 916-670-1103 and we'll answer any questions as we have a ton of experience with both scopes.
I read the OP's question when he first posted and wondered the same thing. I only own NF scopes for the most part, but sometimes wonder if I should venture to try out another manufacturer.

This is where you come in to share your ton of experience for the rest of us to read.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.
Old 02-11-2019, 9:54 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikvette View Post
I read the OP's question when he first posted and wondered the same thing. I only own NF scopes for the most part, but sometimes wonder if I should venture to try out another manufacturer.

This is where you come in to share your ton of experience for the rest of us to read.

As a dealer it's always a fine line on what you can post regarding comparisons of products that you sell. We always ask our customer's specific questions to help them find the best option for their needs, a 'generic' review does not always cover that.
sales@cstactical.com
Click Here To Join our Facebook Fan Page

http://www.cstactical.com/images/stories/About%*0Us%*0Logo.001.jpg
Old 02-11-2019, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Any thought about going to a 30moa base?
Old 02-11-2019, 11:41 AM

Thumbs up Nightforce 5 x 22 x 56

I have four of these scopes. There good out past 1,000 yards. At 1,000 yards the target looks to be 300 yards away. I just set a rifle out to a 1,000 yards and we used a standard SR-200 target for the whole shoot. The glass was fantastic.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.....John Wayne
Old 02-11-2019, 1:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagearms View Post
Any thought about going to a 30moa base?
I actually upgraded my 6.5 Creedmoor with the Kahles to 40MOA and the Lapua has a 20MOA rail and I have the Aadmount 20MOA base (from the Creedmoor), so I'll be at 40 MOA... Either way I guess the question is partially if the extra magnification of the Nightforce will be of benefit or not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2019, 7:20 AM
Calguns Addict

These are all high quality scopes and you can't really go wrong. I'd say the determining factor would be whether you need the extra 10x magnification of the NF and which company's reticles best suits your needs.

Regarding magnification, you might use the higher to find and track your target but maybe not shoot at the high mag. Mirage can be a problem and you'd likely find yourself dialing back to make it more usable.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up
Old 02-13-2019, 6:00 PM
Veteran Member

So I decided on the Nightforce. While the full magnification isn't something I may use while shooting, I like the idea of also being able to spot with it at longer distances... like when friends are shooting. The elevation is akin to the Kahles, but on 40MOA mount this thing will be able to dial much longer than I am capable of shooting (for now). Now I wait for the brown santa to show.
Old 02-16-2019, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikvette View Post

i have owned several high end scopes....
5-22 NXS
8-32 NXS
2 gen2 razors
2 gen PSTs...on 22s
2 athlons..been a long time dont remember what models...hated the mushy turrets
SWFA 3-15...fantastic glass reticles suck
minox ZP5...AWESOME glass...eye box was tight and parallax very touchy
3 624i's....ABSOLUTELY LOVE THESE SCOPES...AMR reticle is hands down the best ive looked at for the shooting i do!!

ive looked through several...
schmidt and benders...outstanding glass...turrets suck and their reticles are dated and tired.

scope i REALLY want to look through is the new meoptas...if they are ANYTHING like my meopta meostar HD 15x56 binos ill be replacing the GEN2 PST on my vudoo.

that said ALWAYS remember BETTER GLASS TRUMPS power...as you can see im a glass whore and note my love for kahles....ive also owned SEVERAL different high end spotting scopes....ive sold them all and went with the meopta meostar HD 15x56 binos...there is no explaining the glass in these binos youd have to see for yourself...all i can say is !!!!
Old 02-17-2019, 7:21 PM
Veteran Member

Well I went ahead with the Nightforce ATACR 7-35 x 56 f1... It's arriving Tuesday. Super stoked. I am curious to compare the glass between the Kahles and Nightforce.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2019, 7:14 PM
Veteran Member

So just a quick thought... the Kahles glass is better, but I have not looked through newest generation k525i. The Kahles SKMR3 reticle is very similar to the MIL-XT of the Nightforce, BUT the Kahles is better in my opinion due to the reticle being smaller, which means less target is covered. I do like the ability to magnify up to 35 power with the Nightforce. I found when spotting other shooters shots I was more comfortable at higher power with the Nightforce. Shooting though I didn't go above 25ish so I could have a wider field of view. The eye relief on both rifles is pretty tight. Both scopes have a little bit of CA depending on the time of day, but I didn't find it to be a problem. My first outing of the Nightforce was on a 338 Lapua at 2000 yards and I had no problem dialing to that distance on a 20MOA base. I think overall the Kahles 624i optically outperformed the Nightforce by a slim margin, but both scopes are incredible and you wouldn't go wrong with either, although supposedly the K525i glass is even better than the k624i.

Last edited by bigdawg86; 04-18-2019 at 12:04 PM..
Old 04-14-2019, 12:57 PM

glad you posted back here and confirmed my thoughts...i see leupold has a new 7-35 now id like to look through.