Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-07-2019, 9:40 PM

Default Is the ACOG Obsolete?

Totally random thought popped into my head today and I’m curious what you guys think-

So I love the ACOG... as a piece of history and for the cool factor. Games and movies really trumped up the ACOG to be the best, coolest optic out there.

But I don’t run one. I have Aimpoints, Holosuns and Eotechs but no ACOG. With those I put a magnifier behind them. Then I have a red dot/holo up close and when I need to hit something further away, presto, I have 3.5x on tap with a quick flip.

So what’s its purpose in today’s world? Has newer technology displaced it or is it still viable? If so, what type of setup would you run one on and what do you think it excels at?
Old 02-07-2019, 9:46 PM
Veteran Member

I think it's an option, followed by preference. You're only as loyal as your options. I love my MRO and my eotechs but I would take a VCOG if I could afford it. Until then I'm saving for a Viper 1-6 for my 18" SPR.

I personally don't prefer fixed magnification which is why I run 3x magnifier with throw level on my Eotech.

WTB
P10F**
P10S**
Old 02-07-2019, 10:22 PM

Look through an ACOG... The whole red Dot + magnifier thing isn't even close. They also have a surprisingly accurate ranging feature built in that's caliber/ammo specific and can be"tuned" to your rifle set up and ammo combo with minimal practice.
Old 02-08-2019, 5:35 AM

Great piece of glass and equipment. What's been coming out lately has been what the military has been needing, close quarters combat optics. That's why a flood of 1x to whatever variable have been flooding the market. The ACOG is still alive and well. Solid , reliable, and accurate.

They just aren't as effective for CQB

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Old 02-08-2019, 5:44 AM
👀They’re Watching 👀
CGN Contributor

I think ACOG is the top of the heap! Just less attainable due to the price. Everyone justifies lower price options for cost. When comparing my other optics to the ACOG, the ACOG still blows the others away
Old 02-08-2019, 5:51 AM

Do you even operate bro?
Old 02-08-2019, 7:45 AM
Calguns Addict

ACOG is about the reticle, minute of man, and field of view.

If you learn the reticle, it’ll become aparrent why it’s one of the best for minute of man at various distances.

The field of view and image quality is epic. Well at least with the 4x.
Old 02-08-2019, 7:55 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, it's outdated. Still a great optic and effective, but it's a 20 year old design and we've fought several wars in that time that have given us loads of data on what soldiers need on their rifles.

All hail the LPVO!
Old 02-08-2019, 8:43 AM
Veteran Member

ACOG du jour are combat sights and are still very effective when you need fast hits.

The "Bindon Aiming Concept" is the best for ease of use in the field IMO. I run TA33's and a lone TA11 and they are getting weak in the glow, (each over 10 yrs old, but I don't do much night shooting with them anyway) and they NEVER loose zero and require "0" maintenance. I keep one on a gut punched AR behind the seat on the ranch pickup and it gets knocked around quite a bit.

I like the TA33's best for taking up less space on the rail and eye relief is really good and doesn't need lots of head movement to get on the sight.

It's not a varmint/target scope, but I have more than a few varmint scalps on my belt when using it.

I like the concept of a 1-6x LPVO type scope, but it would take a lot to pry me away from my ACOG's that just plain work whenever I need them too.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 02-08-2019, 9:10 AM
Banned

Hell no. Holographs don’t work for everyone. I can’t even use eotechs or any RDS now.

I think acog will remain what is is for a long time. A tough reliable decent clear optic that doesn’t require batteries to run that is good for short to long range, but not the best at any of them.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

I like mine, although I honestly wouldn't purchase another one since I rarely require magnification on my 5.56 rifles. Nowadays I prefer the Aimpoint Micro.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

There's a good thread posted on M4Carbine recently that my friend started that covers this very topic. Should check out the thorough responses.

I don't think the Acog is obsolete, but there are better options where mission dictates.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.
Old 02-18-2019, 9:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The ACOG's work.
There's newer technology, sure.
But that's hardly a reason to call the ACOG obsolete.
The ACOG can hold its own.
Old 02-19-2019, 6:30 AM
Vendor/Retailer

ob·so·lete
1) adjective - no longer produced or used; out of date.

By that definiton, no the ACOG is not obsolete

-Matt S.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 02-19-2019, 6:34 AM

Remember when those things were selling for $1500? Lol.
Old 02-19-2019, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganob831 View Post
Totally random thought popped into my head today and I’m curious what you guys think-

So I love the ACOG... as a piece of history and for the cool factor. Games and movies really trumped up the ACOG to be the best, coolest optic out there.

But I don’t run one. I have Aimpoints, Holosuns and Eotechs but no ACOG. With those I put a magnifier behind them. Then I have a red dot/holo up close and when I need to hit something further away, presto, I have 3.5x on tap with a quick flip.

So what’s its purpose in today’s world? Has newer technology displaced it or is it still viable? If so, what type of setup would you run one on and what do you think it excels at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa Defense View Post
Do you even operate bro?
Old 02-19-2019, 6:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
it's a 20 year old design and we've fought several wars in that time
In a 20 year spam we've fought "several" wars.
So sick of us being the world's police. Ugh.

I ran an Eotech and a Leupold VX-R patrol on my rifles that were lost at sea last year in that horrific boating accident.
Never could quite justify the cost of an ACOG.
Old 02-19-2019, 6:54 AM
Banned

Of course they are not obsolete.

They are a tool that is perfect for some jobs, and usable for others.
Old 02-19-2019, 7:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

only thing wrong with an acog is its warranty. other than that, the optic is prob best for a hard working rifle.
Old 02-19-2019, 8:29 AM

I don't like putting magnifiers on my rifle. It make the whole setup long, bulky, and heavy. If it was going to do that, I would just run a good 1-4x variable power scope instead. Its about the same length, less bulky, and lighter.

An ACOG is useful if you want something magnified that is both compact and relatively light weight. It doesn't take up as much room on your rail, and performs very well for what it is. Eye relief has always been a sore point, but its a trade off for not going to a full size 1-4x scope.
Old 03-14-2019, 5:06 AM

The Acog is still a solid optic and serves its purpose.

For me I cant get passed its poor ER so its a no-go for me. It has been for awhile but still like them.

US Military Veteran 1994-2015
Old 03-14-2019, 5:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganob831 View Post
But I don’t run one.
Uncle Sam does though. I don't see them going out of business any time soon.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

An ACOG with a mil or moa reticle and dual illumination would slay. You could then shoot any caliber and handload with better holdover precision once you verify dope.

I like the ACOG, but it is super dated and overpriced compared to competitors. It's the best $500 scope that $1000 can buy. I had a TA01 NSN w/Docter TRD on an M4 clone forever. When the PST 1-4 came available, I switched without regret. The ability to make long shots accurately was worth it.

That being said, most people don't reload or shoot beyond 100 yards, so a scope like the ACOG is perfect for most..... Though still overpriced.
If Hell ever needed a operations manual all it would need is a copy of California's laws
Old 03-16-2019, 9:42 PM
Calguns Addict

If ACOG's were selling for $500, they'd still be in the mix. But at the current $1,000 to $1,300, they've been eclipsed.

Get yourself a good LVPO FFP in the 1-6 to 1-10 range if you want to stay current.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 04-17-2019, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD338 View Post
Remember when those things were selling for $1500? Lol.
Brand new ones still do....just a lot of used ones coming to the market because across the years there have been many many produced.... Obsolete....HELLS NO....just like another member posted, other optics might be better depending on mission specific reasons, but NO BATTERIES...BINDON....still good to go