Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-10-2019, 4:39 AM

Default Am I being “nitpicky”? Fleabay purchase “no return” but inaccurate description.

I found an "SWFA SS 10X42 new old stock" with side focus and won it for $350 after shipping, with some addons(~$75 worth). The seller had good feedback and the scope was one I had been looking at for a while (already have the rear focus version--love it, figured I would upgrade and lend mine to my brother for his new LPR). The problem is that the model number listed on the description is
SS10X42MMQ which denotes "Super Sniper (the series) 10x(magnification) 42(objective lens diameter in millimeters) M (milliradians, the angular unit of measurement used for adjustments to windage and elevation) MQ (MilQuad; propriety reticle designed by SWFA).
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42m-....html?___SID=U

The scope I got has mildots, which wouldn't be that big of a deal if it were the only problem (milquad is what I currently have and it's great). What really messed it up for me is the 1/4MOA adjustment turrets. That's one extra calculation I'll never do by choice. Based on the model number it should be MRAD windage and elevation adjustments. Nowhere in the listing was there any other indication of the adjustment angular measurement unit. Seller says no return but Fleabay has buyer protection for items not as described. Am I being a P.I.T.A. or is a return reasonable?
*sighs *

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailflintlocks View Post
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....
Old 05-10-2019, 4:51 AM
Veteran Member

Screen shot itemdescription, and follow eBay's return policy. Ebay will take care of business. Same shenanigan happen to my wife, wrong description on the item. Seller didn't want to accept it back, because she open the box to verify it was the correct item.

The seller change the item description ( I didn't know they can do that, once the item is sold) with new info and different model. Good thing my wife took screen shots of the item. She got her money back and no return fee.
Old 05-10-2019, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX-05 Xiuhcoatl View Post
Screen shot itemdescription, and follow eBay's return policy. Ebay will take care of business. Same shenanigan happen to my wife, wrong description on the item. Seller didn't want to accept it back, because she open the box to verify it was the correct item.

The seller change the item description ( I didn't know they can do that, once the item is sold) with new info and different model. Good thing my wife took screen shots of the item. She got her money back and no return fee.

Think that's enough?

"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown (possibly Tim Moen)
Quote:
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....
Old 05-10-2019, 6:41 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Besides the seller's "no returns" language in the ad, have you contacted the seller with the above information?

Ebay is very good on protecting buyers from fraud, but you will have to show them where you made a good faith effort to resolve the issue with the seller, as well as articulating exactly how the item was misrepresented before they will intervene.

I have found that sellers with extensive positive feedback are usually amenable to returns rather than risking a negative hit to their numbers.
Old 05-10-2019, 8:12 AM
Calguns Addict

If you made a purchase based on inaccurate listing information, that falls on the seller. It's his responsibility to ensure that his listing is correct. Give him a chance to correct it and if he won't then contact ebay. They will most likely take your side.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up
Old 05-10-2019, 8:16 AM

Default Am I being “nitpicky”? Fleabay purchase “no return” but inaccurate description.

Thanks for those of you that chipped in. I had already contacted the seller prior to posting and was told essentially tough luck, if I'm unhappy contact eBay. I resent the message and context via the "request returns " option and the seller got back to me this morning and gave in, but requested I pay return shipping. I agreed. Better lose a few bucks and get most of my money back.

I just wanted to get some feedback on whether or not my reasoning was reasonable. I would hate to be in the seller's position either.

Quote:
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Old 05-10-2019, 8:18 AM

I wouldn't pay to return the shipping, they messed up the item and should eat that cost.
Old 05-10-2019, 8:27 AM

Having been through similar situations a lot in the past. You should not have to pay for return shipping. Inaccurate item description always falls under buyer protection.

However, it may be your best bet in this situation. If this goes through eBay support you are not very likely to get someone who understands what the discrepancy is and it may turn into an even further frustrating situation.
Old 05-10-2019, 8:30 AM

I recently purchased an item that had an incorrect fitment in the description. Ad read "no returns." Received the item, had to wait about a month before trying to install the new item, and it didn't fit. It was incorrectly advertised. I tried to contact the seller many times, and no response. I contacted ebay, and they said I waited too long. I had to "eat" the purchase.

WTB: , Smith K22, Colt Officer's Model Revolver in 22LR, , Ruger P89, Manurhin MR73, S&W 66, Lever gun in ?, ZKR 551, and CZ 453 22LR

Lifetime Member NRA
Member CRPA
Old 05-10-2019, 12:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Sellers adjusting the description doesn't matter, as eBay keeps a history of all the changes. Not sure about the detailed listing info like UPC, model number etc.

In either case, return shipping tends to always be the buyers responsibility no matter what the reason but eBay will sometimes refund it out of 'their' pocket.
Old 05-10-2019, 6:50 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh rick View Post
I wouldn't pay to return the shipping, they messed up the item and should eat that cost.
If paying return shipping is part of Ebay’s resolution terms, you might not be able to return it at all or get any refund. But you sure would be showing them who’s boss though.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bryce* View Post
Having been through similar situations a lot in the past. You should not have to pay for return shipping. Inaccurate item description always falls under buyer protection.

However, it may be your best bet in this situation. If this goes through eBay support you are not very likely to get someone who understands what the discrepancy is and it may turn into an even further frustrating situation.

This was my thinking when I decided to eat the cost. If the seller didn't think it was a big deal for me to be upset about, and they sell scopes, how is some minimum wage employee who isn't paid enough to care supposed to know?

Quote:
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Old 05-13-2019, 2:22 PM

So one "M" is for the reticle and another "M" should be for the turrets, correct? MIL/MOA Scopes weren't uncomman when MIL started gaining in popularity. Not that common these days so I likely wouldn't even think to ask, unless on an older scope. Sucks. Good luck with it.

Last edited by SlowDrifter; 05-13-2019 at 2:32 PM.. Reason: re-read and clarified.
Old 05-13-2019, 2:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowDrifter View Post
So one "M" is for the reticle and another "M" should be for the turrets, correct?
He didn't send the scope he advertised in great detail including model number. I would not have paid return shipping.

OP already knows it isn't a MILQUAD because he has one. This is a relatively new reticle from SWFA AFAIK. History lesson on MILDOT scopes irrelevant. Wrong product was sent.
Old 05-13-2019, 2:42 PM

I can't stand scopes with mis-matched reticle/turret units. Or any device with mis-matched units.
Old 05-13-2019, 2:59 PM
Veteran Member

If the seller refuses to pay shipping on return. Wait and gig him on the review for problem.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 05-13-2019, 3:04 PM

Dispute it get your money back. have him pay for shipping not you.

Last edited by weekend_plinker; 05-13-2019 at 3:08 PM..
Old 05-13-2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
He didn't send the scope he advertised in great detail including model number. I would not have paid return shipping.

OP already knows it isn't a MILQUAD because he has one. This is a relatively new reticle from SWFA AFAIK. History lesson on MILDOT scopes irrelevant. Wrong product was sent.
Not being MIL Quad wasn't the major objection. It was the MIL reticle and MOA turrets abomination. He basically says he could have lived with the reticle if the turrets matched.

Edited to add: Wait, is that even a FFP scope?

Last edited by SlowDrifter; 05-13-2019 at 3:51 PM..
Old 05-13-2019, 4:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Not being MIL Quad wasn't the major objection. It was the MIL reticle and MOA turrets abomination. He basically says he could have lived with the reticle if the turrets matched.

Edited to add: Wait, is that even a FFP scope?
Fixed power 10x
Old 05-13-2019, 4:08 PM
Calguns Addict

MILQUAD model was advertised which you can assume has .1 MRAD turrets...

Seller may have copied the wrong specs, but it was the sellers fault. Buyer is protected.
Old 05-13-2019, 5:25 PM

Quote:
MILQUAD model was advertised which you can assume has .1 MRAD turrets...

Seller may have copied the wrong specs, but it was the sellers fault. Buyer is protected.
I wouldn't assume that buying "New Old Stock" off E-Bay. But hey, knock yourself out.
Old 05-13-2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Fixed power 10x
Fixed power by no means designates FFP.
Old 05-13-2019, 5:52 PM

Start a dialogue with the seller and try to get him to admit in eBay messaging that the item doesn't match the description or that there is some difference. After you get some acknowledgement from the seller that there is a problem start the eBay dispute for 'Item doesn't match the listing description'.
Doing it this way the eBay support doesn't need to understand any technical details of the item.

Quote:
When does eBay Money Back Guarantee apply?
You're covered under eBay Money Back Guarantee when:
You don't receive an item
You receive an item that doesn't match the listing
You receive an item that's broken or faulty
Old 05-13-2019, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bool1tholz View Post
Start a dialogue with the seller and try to get him to admit in eBay messaging that the item doesn't match the description or that there is some difference. After you get some acknowledgement from the seller that there is a problem start the eBay dispute for 'Item doesn't match the listing description'.

Doing it this way the eBay support doesn't need to understand any technical details of the item.

I already sent it back If he doesn't send me a full refund including the shipping I paid him initially, I'll have full rights to dispute. I am a grad student. Being $350 short in the bank hurts a bit, so I figured I'd eat the $11 and get the majority of my money. Yeah I could probably fight for it and win, but after how much time? But with that said, I appreciate everyone's feedback. Certainly use the "ask seller a question" button next time...

Quote:
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Old 05-14-2019, 1:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Fixed power by no means designates FFP.
No way. Have you ever seen a fixed power scope where it matters whether it is SFP or FFP? Do they even tell you the focal plane if it is fixed power?????

No one said fixed power designates FFP.

Last edited by crufflers; 05-14-2019 at 1:42 PM..
Old 05-14-2019, 2:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Hahah seriously. Why would it matter if a fixed power optic is 1st or 2nd focal plane?