Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:21 AM

Default SFP vs FFP for my application

I found a killer deal on a Leupold VX-Freedom 4-12x40 SFP optic for my current build and purchased it.

My application will be something that i could use to hunt with <300 yrds and something i could use for target shooting up to 500 yrds. It has a 20", heavy .308 barrel.

I have the optic brand new, unmounted, and since its purchase I have done a lot more research into optics and am hearing rave things about FFP (primarily from the long range, precision shooters)

My question is, for my particular application, do i need to invest in an FFP? I am leaning towards no. Reasoning being: under 300 yrds, it seems if I zero at 2-3" high at 100 yrds I can hold dead center from 0 to 300 yrds and have a ~6" diameter shot.

Beyond this, i can be at maximum power where my MOA reticle should be valid.

Does this seem reasonable or should i just sell my current optic and start on a FFP?

Thank you.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:27 AM

Seems reasonable. One thing to consider is will the reticle have enough holdover at max power using the hash marks for your particular application

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2019, 12:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Keep in mind with sfp, holding over only works in one magnification. Usually it’s the highest mag. That may not work well in a hunting scenario.

But if your plan is to hit within 6” within a specific distance by using the center of your reticle, makes perfect sense to me and an sfp will be fine.
Old 04-21-2019, 4:03 PM
Veteran Member

The reason precision rifle shooters use FFP is because, they will dial and hold over for multiple targets. If your on a stage with a target at 400 and 700, you dial for 400 and then hold the extra for 700. FFP let’s you dial the zoom to what’s fitting for the situation. Or if your making a precision correction you want to measure with your reticle, then dial that correction on your turrets. There’s other reasons, but those are some of the main ones.

In a hunting situation your going for one shot, your lucky to get a second or third. Weather your dialing for your first shot, or you have a 100-300 zero, your follow up shots are going to be on the fly. If you have a measuring reticle, once you take your first shot, use your reticle to measure then hold your correction. Doesn’t matter what the unit of measurement is, 2 MOA, 1/2 MIL, or Zebras. If your low two hashes, and left one hash, you just hold that for your follow up shot.

Also you can do what you want, but I much prefer to zero at 100 yards and dial up for my shots. Because, sure your ideally going to be within a 6”-9” circle at from 100-300 yards. But you pull that shot at 300, and a shot that would have been in the bottom 1/3 of that circle, now is well outside of it. The animal holds up at 350, your going to either dial anyways, or guess your shot into that circle. When you dial in for your shot, your aiming at the middle of that circle every time. Now your margin of error is slightly larger.
Old 04-21-2019, 5:24 PM
Veteran Member

I'm shooting a 9" paper plate at 400 yards, consistently. I only shoot at the maximum power, 6 power, if I had a 12 power scope I wouldn't be able to do that, and a 40mm objective lens is too tall for the AR platform. My set up is a Vortex Razor SFP HD Gen II, BCD Reticle, .556 caliber. When I have shot at low power I don't notice anything, I hit tin cans free handed at 100 yards. This is on my Coyote hunting militia rifle.
Old 04-24-2019, 7:26 AM
Calguns Addict

For hunting and known distance target shooting, a SFP can fulfill the role without too much problems. However, if you have any inclination that you'll need to adjust your holds on the fly, then a FFP scope will be more useful to you.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up
Old 04-26-2019, 12:18 PM

copy that, my plan is to use the intended (SFP) scope and learn from there. as they say, experience is the best teacher so at best i am satisfied with my setup - at worst i am convinced i need to upgrade
Old 04-29-2019, 7:56 AM

FFP.....for the win.....