Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default A suggestion about the jr members and what to make them do before posting.

How about this, IF you are a junior member on Calguns effective whenever you get around to implementing this rule set, BEFORE you can post in ANY forum (or sub forum maybe?) for the FIRST time you must pass an authentication test. You simply have to answer several questions and they can all be the same each time, but they will include things like:
1. Have you read and understand the rules about being a member of Calguns?
2. Are you aware that there is a clearly labeled marketplace for selling items in Calguns?
3. Are you aware that if you start a discussion thread in the marketplace or a WTS ad selling something in a discussion forum that you can get into trouble including banned and your thread deleted for doing so?
4. Have you looked at all of the available forums and selected the appropriate forum to start a thread in?

Then if you have answered YES to all of these questions welcome to calguns and you are free to move about the forums...

This can be a simple message that all NEW users see and must answer to before they are allowed to make their first post globally or their first post in a sub forum.

All entertaining lines removed.
Happy now?

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

Last edited by stilly; 03-25-2013 at 8:31 AM..
Old 03-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Whatever
CGN Contributor

Talking

You need to post one more to get 2400 posts.

So what do you suggest for cleaning brass?

( Obviously I got nothing to help wrt new members - it's been a blessing and a curse for CALGUNS ).
Old 03-25-2013, 1:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-25-2013, 1:20 AM
Whatever
CGN Contributor

^^^ +1
Old 03-25-2013, 4:38 AM
Banned

Nope, you are an idiot. No different than Difi herself. I have a challenge for you - ask your 4 questions to all members and I'll bet the "senior" members will do worse on your test than the noobs. Why not befriend the noobs and make them welcome in your little club?
Old 03-25-2013, 5:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

I'm with stilly!
We need more rules, regulations, restrictions and limitations placed on our everyday lives, and if the government is too weak to impose these much needed rules, regulations, restrictions and limitations, then damn it, we should impose them on ourselves!
Old 03-25-2013, 5:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Red face

Make them drop and give us twenty?
Old 03-25-2013, 5:48 AM
Banned

No, go home
Old 03-25-2013, 5:54 AM

What makes you think that someone will follow the rules after clicking to agree to them? You have over 2400 posts and have been a member since 2009 but still got banned for violating the rules. Just saying.....
Old 03-25-2013, 8:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Oh cut me I bleed!

The logic behind the "test" is that it will be put in front of them that there is a right and wrong place to do things. MAYBE in having to read and answer those few questions they will realize and maybe even double check before they post in the wrong forum.

All the negativity in this thread seems to stem from ignorance or failure to read and comprehend what was posted. I will modify my original post to make it more clear.

I will go down the list:

TahoeTim- Nothing about any club. Proposed change will not affect any senior members.
VictorFranko- Again, nothing about putting more rules on ourselves, only one or two or whatever more clicks for the FNGs and it only happens once.
Zedrek- My being banned for doing something that was in a gray area has nothing to do with me posting ads in a discussion forum. The idea is only to hopefully eliminate future "wrong forum" ad postings by the new guys which really seems to happen in their first few posts. It would not affect anyone in this thread.

Here is an idea, rather then bash me for coming up with this idea, why not put your own ideas up and see if you can do better?

Making people wait too long (more than ten minutes probably by the responses here) might turn people away that can put forth decent contributions.
Making them have to post x amount of times might encourage them to post more IBFP responses.

What else is there to do besides make them wait, make them post more first, or draw their attention to what they never read in the first place?

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

Last edited by stilly; 03-25-2013 at 8:32 AM..
Old 03-25-2013, 8:36 AM

OK, and what makes you think that someone just won't blindly click "yes" just like everyone does on any other site? Just because you click something doesn't mean you are going to follow it. Don't get me wrong, I agree with your thinking here but I don't think it will do any good.
Old 03-25-2013, 8:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Let's improve this a bit....
-Newbies must answer a number of questions before being allowed to post.
--Upon answering the questions, they are allowed access to a test area or "sandbox" in which they can post.
--Newbies must have 25 posts over ten days to enter the main forums.

-Senior members will have ten days in which to critique or otherwise evaluate the postings.
--These evaluators will not be selected by number of posts, but by taking a test to determine their general knowledge of life. (e.g.: "What color is the red light on a police car?").
--Based on Newbie postings, evaluators may:
---grant access to the forums (only after 10 days)
---require additional postings before granting access
---delay access for no stated reason
---deny access for no stated reason

This may be difficult to implement, but DOJ has a "working" model.

Newbies will be newbies. Part of online society is to allow enough freedom to grow. Part of being in the society is providing guidance to newbies and helping them grow.
JR

Last edited by Dvrjon; 03-25-2013 at 8:47 AM..
Old 03-25-2013, 10:18 AM

Post counts are no guarantee. I can go into the OT thread and respond to any and all topics in there. Remember the saying "There is no such thing as a stupid question"? Well there are but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be asked anyway. Look at the questions that get asked and they varying opinions answered still. If it's a stupid post and the 20th time I've seen it posted on Calguns I just don't click it.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 AM

here are some questions

Old 03-25-2013, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeusa View Post
You need to post one more to get 2400 posts.

So what do you suggest for cleaning brass?

( Obviously I got nothing to help wrt new members - it's been a blessing and a curse for CALGUNS ).
It will take me years to get to 2,400 posts. I suggest soap and water (tongue in cheek).
Old 03-25-2013, 5:34 PM

Hi,
Junior member here. Not sure if this is the right forum. I have a question. My buddy found this big pile of FAL Mausers in his grandmas back yard.
Would it be legal for his grandma to give him the Mausers without paper work? Also if the clips are rusted into the mag wells would he still need a bullet button?
He also needs to know what kind of bullets to use once grandma gives him the OK to remove them. I know he'll have tons of questions once he gets them so I will check back.

Again thanks for helping a newbie.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 03-25-2013, 5:56 PM

I think the place is going very well as it is with no more rules. But I am a "Junior Member" so maybe my opinion is not valid yet.
Old 03-25-2013, 6:40 PM
Banned

bump to raise post count
Old 03-25-2013, 7:05 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
Hi,
Junior member here. Not sure if this is the right forum. I have a question. My buddy found this big pile of FAL Mausers in his grandmas back yard.
Would it be legal for his grandma to give him the Mausers without paper work? Also if the clips are rusted into the mag wells would he still need a bullet button?
He also needs to know what kind of bullets to use once grandma gives him the OK to remove them. I know he'll have tons of questions once he gets them so I will check back.

Again thanks for helping a newbie.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

POST OF THE DAY AWARD!!! Best laugh I have had.

All he has to do is pay $25 bucks for a rusted rifle safety card, pay the tax, wait between 10 and undetermined days for a contractor, come back with a thumb and toe print and pay another $25, then a few other new common sense rules and he is GTG.

Damn noobs, you guy know nothing.
Old 03-25-2013, 7:14 PM

Did someone say....."Regulations"?

Benny
Old 03-25-2013, 7:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Maybe we could start up a "practice forum for CGN" then we can graduate them to off topic first and then the main forum where they will be free to move about the forum
Old 03-26-2013, 6:12 PM

Location: SF Bay Area then go east to the hills with wind mills

[IMG][/IMG]
I think I would like to go hunting with the OP. What do you say?
Old 03-27-2013, 1:15 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
I'm with stilly!
We need more rules, regulations, restrictions and limitations placed on our everyday lives, and if the government is too weak to impose these much needed rules, regulations, restrictions and limitations, then damn it, we should impose them on ourselves!
+1

Except, I would implement it in the form of a post tax.
Old 03-27-2013, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmikel61 View Post
It will take me years to get to 2,400 posts. I suggest soap and water (tongue in cheek).
^^^THIS^^^

My Grandfather once told me 'an empty vessel makes the most noise!'
Old 03-27-2013, 2:48 PM
I’m Ugly and I’m Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis590A1 View Post

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2
Im not banned....
Old 04-29-2013, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTim View Post
Nope, you are an idiot. No different than Difi herself. I have a challenge for you - ask your 4 questions to all members and I'll bet the "senior" members will do worse on your test than the noobs. Why not befriend the noobs and make them welcome in your little club?

ya how bout you answer some questions first ! your just trying too say something too make yourself feel important !
you should be voicing your opinion about people who are actually causing harm too caguns ! people who have turned calguns into their own personell firearms shop ! with no business liscense / no oversight nothing // just selling fireams under the just parts guise and getting filthy stinking rich ! thanx calgunners

Last edited by Veggii; 04-29-2013 at 9:36 PM..
Old 05-05-2013, 10:26 PM

in an attempt to return to the OP's suggestions... Yes, on many forums there are folks who don't take the time to search if their question has been discussed in the past. Don't know how best to remedy this, but as a new member I peruse the "New to Calguns? Check here first!" section.

Something to keep in mind when you all discuss requirements prior to giving a new member posting ability: Info on Marine who owned my S&W 1917 It's an awesome story, but remember that rerussell (daughter of the Marine) was a first-time poster. She's still only posted 11 times. I think in that situation it was best that she could immediately post her comments.

"...We shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations...." --Patrick Henry

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." --Thomas Paine
Old 05-05-2013, 10:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There are rules about being a calguns member? I had no idea. Where can a fellow find the rules, I wanna bookmark them so I can read them a few years from now.