Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > California Precision Rifle Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Precision Rifle Club California Precision Rifle Club Forum

Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Remington Model 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD

CRUD: I have now realized maybe I asked the rifle equivalent of "Which has better stopping power: a 9mm, .40 or .45"?
Sorry, my bad...never mind. I'll figure out if I want to get .243, 6.5 or 7mm RM and go from there. It's hard when you have a choice of round to use instead of being told.

Is this a good starting rifle for precision shooting? Get a good BDC scope and range finder and maybe? The caliber is plentiful (well in non-bubble times), re-loading supplies should be ample, choices of loads and bullets plentiful, upgrades & add-ons are numerous. The 7mm Remington magnum (really my favored one from my research for distance and flat trajectory but more expensive to shoot and re-load I think). It's hard to go wrong with the venerable .308 right?

Last edited by advocatusdiaboli; 03-25-2013 at 6:20 PM..
Old 03-26-2013, 2:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A 308 with a good mildot or mil based reticle is the best way to start.
Skip the BDC crap.
You wont be able to take advantage of higher performance cartidges until you learn the basics.
It's sorta like starting with a 1000cc mtorcycle without ever working your way through 250's and 600's.
You gotta walk before you can run, otherwise you just trip and injure yourself...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 03-28-2013, 8:50 AM

I have that same rifle and I'm very happy..5 moa or less all day at 100 yrds...with handloads of course.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Yep, I appreciated what Randall had to say in going with .308 but it took me a while to hear it. I was thinking .243 hunting/precision shooting but loads would be more expensive, barrel life much lower, and the rifle would out shoot me for a long, long time. It will be a Remi 700 of some varmint or tac type in .308 for me, then a good first plane scope, a few accessories like mildot master, bipod, angle adjust slide rule (hunting is rarely a flat shot), etc., and practice, practice, practice, and more practice.
Old 03-29-2013, 5:03 PM
Veteran Member

Just got mine out of Gun Jail last week! So far a EGW rail and a Springfield Armory scope 7.62mm. Hope to get it out to the range this weekend. Thinking of starting out with some Sierra 175 HPBT bullets.
Old 04-19-2013, 7:22 AM

Great rifle. I have one with a mil-dot scope on it. Have had it for about a year and can consistently hit steel out to 700. Haven't tried further. Kinda hard to come by. Took a deer with it last winter. Gun did all the work. You will be pleased.
Old 04-28-2013, 5:42 PM
Banned

If you're new to that style of rifle, the common advice is start out in 308. When you shoot out the barrel in about 5k-7k rounds, you'll know exactly what you want when you rebarrel. You can go 243/260/6.5 if you want, or stick with 308.

And yeah. Skip BDC and go straight to a milling reticle. A BDC only works with one type of bullet with a specific velocity. Meaning they're never accurate.
Old 04-29-2013, 6:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
If you're new to that style of rifle, the common advice is start out in 308. When you shoot out the barrel in about 5k-7k rounds, you'll know exactly what you want when you rebarrel. You can go 243/260/6.5 if you want, or stick with 308.

And yeah. Skip BDC and go straight to a milling reticle. A BDC only works with one type of bullet with a specific velocity. Meaning they're never accurate.
In the works—looking a a good deal on a Remy 700 SPS AAC-SD or Varmint in .308 now locally (slim pickings but I'm sure I'll find one), then a good mil or MOA front-plane scope with rings & 20 MOA base (the really big decision and not one to rush). Then practice a while adding Bipod, eventually DBM, etc.
Old 04-29-2013, 1:43 PM
Banned

Checkout the bushnell 3.5-21 G2 DMR. FFP good milling reticle, perfect power range- People that have them are very happy with them.

They go about $1,250 ish.

Bipod- harris s-brm 6"-9".

Get a shooting mat. The midway ones are decent at a good price.
Old 04-30-2013, 6:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
Checkout the bushnell 3.5-21 G2 DMR. FFP good milling reticle, perfect power range- People that have them are very happy with them.

They go about $1,250 ish.

Bipod- harris s-brm 6"-9".

Get a shooting mat. The midway ones are decent at a good price.
Good info thanks. I'll look at the G2 DMR.
Old 04-30-2013, 5:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Okay, Remington makes far, far too many 700s with Varmint or Tactical designations.
The VTR, SPS Varmint, Varmint VTR. etc., etc. , etc.

So....the keep it simple: the SPS Varmint barrel is 26" at $619, the SPS TAC barrel is 20" but it's a heavier barrel at $699, the VTR Varmint is 22" but with a muzzle brake and fancy-schmantsy triangular barrel at $859. I ma leaning for either of the first 2.

What does it cost to thread a barrel and put on a decent muzzle brake after market? I hope to get this all togehter to fit into the Sacramento Intro Class at the end of May.
Old 04-30-2013, 6:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
What does it cost to thread a barrel and put on a decent muzzle brake after market?
I charge $120 to install a $45 Ross Schuler brake on a 700.

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 05-01-2013, 7:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Okay, and after market has one advantage over factory ported since you get to choose your suppressor—but price is about the sames unless I get a pre-threaded barrel like the AAC (which I haven't found yet locally).

One last question: barrel length. Here is what I know (and don't know):
1,000 yard terminal velocity is at the limits of 308 to stay super-sonic and we've got nutation and precession (from wind, drag, etc.) taking it's toll and probably key-holing no matter the barrel length. Thicker barrels cut down on the barrel wag but of course are heavier but longer barrels give better initial velocity. Ballistics tables are theory though accurate. What is better a 20" SPS TAC bull barrel or a 26" SPS Varmint barrel or the 22" VTR Varmint? I want the best I can get with reasonable weight for 1,000 shooting.

Last edited by advocatusdiaboli; 05-01-2013 at 7:38 AM..
Old 05-01-2013, 8:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

26" varmint weight barrel is best for 1000yd shooting.

Old 05-01-2013, 8:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
26" varmint weight barrel is best for 1000yd shooting.
You won't notice the weight when the gun is resting on a bipod and rear bag which is how you shoot 1000yds.

The biggest contributor to weight is the stock or chassis system.
Aluminum chassis are heavy.
Stay with a composite stock.

Old 05-01-2013, 1:44 PM
Banned

Also be aware, you're comparing different factory barrels.

Aftermarket match grade barrels are *usually* faster barrels than factory. And you can go longer barrel aftermarket like Fclass shooters.

As to supersonic at 1000yd... depends also on what bullet you're pushing. Big difference in vel from a 175 SMK and a 155 SMK/Scenar...

Lastly,

Factory threaded barrel, you will need a brake installed by a pro anyway unless you use a 'crush washer' which will look like crap with a crush washer and the brake not blended to the barrel... Though you can do it.