Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:25 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Flagstaff, Arizona up the hill at 7,000ft. originally from Minnesota, this ain't snow, its flurries
Default Gun storage business (away from home)

Did a couple searches and did not find anything IRT this topic.

Talking with buddy looking to do something as a business.
Came on the idea of a long term Firearm storage business using gun safes and only the customer has the key or combination.

Various sizes of course all inside a security building customer can come and go at will.
Thinking is that where customer has the only access then a transfer is not an issue.

I know, one would think who the hell wants to store their guns away from home?

Apparently a number of people.
The guy running the Air Rifle classes I was assisting coaching with tells the kids not to keep their guns at home. I was surprised, this from a retired Navy Captain. He does not keep guns in his home, another surprise.
A few adults have agreed with this sentiment and I've been a bit baffled by it as it makes no sense. Then again I am from a different place and time.

Have you guys run into folks indicating they'd like to find a place away from home to store their guns?

Back to biz.
I was thinking rather than an actual safe, one of those wall locker type critters from Cabella's ought to work fine as long as the building itself is secure. Would also offer safes of differing sizes.
Building built with concrete walls, lessen fire danger.

See any problems with sort of setup for a business?

Probably best in a high population area, LA suburbs, San Francisco etc.

Thanks,

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Picnic Time
Old 11-18-2016, 11:28 AM

If you were in a military town I could see that being a good idea. Probably plenty of business from guys living in the barracks and can't have guns on post. Not sure about regular civilian towns. Maybe people traveling out of town? Lol or husbands hiding their arsenal from their wives.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:33 AM
C3 Leader

Location: Flagstaff, Arizona up the hill at 7,000ft. originally from Minnesota, this ain't snow, its flurries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam8d1 View Post
If you were in a military town I could see that being a good idea. Probably plenty of business from guys living in the barracks and can't have guns on post. Not sure about regular civilian towns. Maybe people traveling out of town? Lol or husbands hiding their arsenal from their wives.

I think more truth to this than some willing to admit

Forgot about about the mill town scenario, they are not allowed except to put in Armory.

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Picnic Time
Old 11-18-2016, 11:41 AM

I think it would be a great idea -- no matter how many here will whine about it in terms of potential "inventorying" or "closing and confiscating" of such facilities by the authorities, etc.

As it is right now, several of my friends and I already keep certain firearms in safe deposit boxes.

Any facility that I might do business with would have to be extremely secure (likely purpose-built) and heavily insured. The owners themselves would have to have excellent credentials.

It would also be best if such a facility offered: full cleaning services, light gun smithing services (installation of sights, boresighting, etc.), the sale of ammo, etc.

The reasons I can see for people using such a facility:

They don't want to deal with having safety deposit boxes.

Their spouses may not be legally able to be around guns.

Their spouses might be averse to have gun collections in the house.

Some customers want the service of having their guns maintained for extended periods.

Some might want to keep guns in certain parts of the country for recreational use.

Some might live in circumstances (eg. military, college) where they cannot have guns.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

hope you have a very high limit insurance setup and a very good security system setup.

cause once a location gets enough constant business, thieves will take notice as word will get out, since you have to advertise to get business. even "word of mouth advertising" will reach the criminals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 11-18-2016, 11:51 AM

Another location that could work would be near the interstate crossings of Nevada or Arizona. That would help California gun owners that don't want to register guns or get rid of magazines.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:25 PM

When I was in college, there were no guns allowed in dorm room (pretty sure that applies on every campus). I had to rent a public storage unit to keep my gun or risk getting kicked out. Always made me worried it would get stolen.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duesenberg View Post
Their spouses may not be legally able to be around guns.
legally owned firearms can be in the home of a non prohibited owner that shares housing with a prohibited person if the firearms are not accessible to the prohibited person.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg View Post
legally owned firearms can be in the home of a non prohibited owner that shares housing with a prohibited person if the firearms are not accessible to the prohibited person.
It all depends on the judge/jury/lawyers. A convicted felon is taking a grave chance by living in a home where guns are present -- even if secured with no direct access by the felon.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalPI View Post
When I was in college, there were no guns allowed in dorm room (pretty sure that applies on every campus). I had to rent a public storage unit to keep my gun or risk getting kicked out. Always made me worried it would get stolen.
When I was an undergrad, if we lived in the dorms we had to store our firearms at the campus police station. I had an even dozen firearms as a freshman. I think it amused the campus (state) cops. I doubt that option exists anymore.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:54 PM
Calguns Addict

There were a couple gun storage facilities in Carson City that popped up in response to the AW registration requirement in 2000. I don't know if they are still around, but they did have a lot of customers back then.
Old 11-18-2016, 1:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam8d1 View Post
I do something like this, have a safe somewhere offsite that I move my stuff to when I go out of town
Old 11-18-2016, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duesenberg View Post
When I was an undergrad, if we lived in the dorms we had to store our firearms at the campus police station. I had an even dozen firearms as a freshman. I think it amused the campus (state) cops. I doubt that option exists anymore.
Yeah, I went to college in Irvine. I think I'd get shot or put on a list if I even asked! Lol
Old 11-18-2016, 1:18 PM
C3 Leader

Found a standard storage outfit that advertises it has vaults for firearms & wine http://elmwoodselfstorage.com/vault-storage but its in New Orleans.
Use for a model.

Another in Gulfport, MS http://johnfayardselfstorage.com/fea...t-mississippi/

Then Los Altos Vaults up north http://losaltosvault.com/services.asp
Its built as a Depository.

Regular self storage does not allow guns or does not insure them. I expect most are a 'don't ask, don't tell' variety.

It would have to be climate controlled. The one charges an extra fee for 24 hour access.

Seems like it would be a no brainer for gun ranges to add storage area's possibly on a second level or basement.

Vick

Picnic Time

Last edited by Can'thavenuthingood; 11-18-2016 at 1:20 PM..
Old 11-18-2016, 9:33 PM

There is an ongoing thread started by Franklin armoury.
Didn't seem like a good idea... Expense vs cost to customer. Liability vs insurance costs.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:39 PM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebaneseblonde View Post
There is an ongoing thread started by Franklin armoury.
Didn't seem like a good idea... Expense vs cost to customer. Liability vs insurance costs.

Yeah I started some back of the napkin scribbling, prices go up quickly.

Going to look for the Franklin Armory thread.

Vick

Picnic Time
Old 11-18-2016, 11:03 PM

Seems I was just reading in another thread that registered AWs can't be stored outside your own residence or business.
Old 11-19-2016, 4:25 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbully View Post
Seems I was just reading in another thread that registered AWs can't be stored outside your own residence or business.
Geez, if you run across that thread again please link it.

Doesn't sound right but then most of Calif laws don't.

Vick

Picnic Time
Old 11-19-2016, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'thavenuthingood View Post
Geez, if you run across that thread again please link it.

Doesn't sound right but then most of Calif laws don't.

Vick
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1268000
Old 11-19-2016, 10:42 AM
C3 Leader

Those RAWs sure seem to be a pain.
Or rather those RAW laws are a pain.

Vick

Picnic Time