Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:57 PM

Default USP, Beretta, Colt?

Which one do you guys recommend? State why, specs and feel.
Old 04-19-2012, 7:16 AM
Veteran Member

USP what? FS or C? What varient or caliber? Beretta 92 or 96? With the Colt I'm guessing 1911 in .45

You need to hold them all and shoot them all. I love my USP.40 fs V1, it fits my hand like a glove and after over 10k rounds its butter smooth. But this is my experience, some people hate the ergos.

I wouldn't touch a 92/M9 or 96 with a 10 foot clown pole. Yet people love the things.

The Colt will be completely different(assuming 1911 in .45)
You are comparing two DA/SA guns with double stack mags to a SA gun with single stack mags, not really a fair comparison.

Shoot them all, and decide for yourself.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Colt 1911 .45 says you're a classy guy.

Beretta says you like large capacity of small projectiles.

USP says you like a company that treats civilian customers like ****.

A Colt or an Italian Beretta for a young guy is a hell of a first buy.
Old 04-21-2012, 6:48 AM

H & K does that? But the USP is the one I consider the best of the best. It's the .45 ACP I want. Yes, the classic M1911 in .45 also. Okay, I won't touch the Beretta at now.
Old 04-21-2012, 7:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you are willing to throw down for the H&K line (forget that bias above), consider the HK45 instead of the USP .45.

It is the next generation of the USP line of weapons. The full size and the compact have a better rail. I chose the compact because I wanted a new carry weapon (I already have a full size USP in 9mm).

The ergonomics between a USP and HK45 or HK45c have been improved.

For my friends that have shot it, it isn't as heavy as their guns (which they don't like) but it's recoil buffer system makes the recoil pretty light. I can shoot hundreds of rounds without recoil fatigue.

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry.

Our Founders Views Regarding the 2nd Amendment - Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Old 04-21-2012, 7:23 AM

Just looked at the HK45. You're right.
Old 04-21-2012, 8:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just remember...it isn't on list. This means your method of getting it is via PPT (private party transfer) or SSE (single shot exemption).

Well....that is if you decide you really want it versus the other options mentioned above.

Try them all out if you can....(find someone local that may have it that will allow you to try the HK45 or HK45c). Not many gun stores will have them readily available.

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry.

Old 04-21-2012, 8:41 AM

How does the PPT work? I'm not a stickly for reading comprehension.
Old 04-21-2012, 8:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No worries. Check out this FAQ...it is a pretty simple explanation. Hope it helps.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/FA...r_.28PPT.29.3F

Old 04-21-2012, 9:01 AM

Gonna be tough to find a contact, but thanks.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Never used an H&K. Never particularly cared for the company anyway. If .45 is what your after go with a 1911. Fantastic handgun and loved by Americans for the last 100 years for good reason. Any reason you aren't looking at the Glock 21/30/36 or the M&P45? Glocks are excellent handguns and the M&Ps seem to be taking some of their market. I wouldn't write off the M9/92FS models, Beretta makes a darn fine handgun, it did topple the 1911 reign in the US military and is still used in LE. What I particularly like about the 92FS is the safety/decocker, can be fired in SA or DA, easy disassembly and the open slide design. Newer ones have a rail (not sure if those are CA approved though). The testing the US military put it through was quite impressive. IIRC issues with the handgun were smoothed out in the late 80s, that was several decades ago. It is an excellent handgun, I regret selling mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirebirdzox View Post
H & K does that? But the USP is the one I consider the best of the best. It's the .45 ACP I want. Yes, the classic M1911 in .45 also. Okay, I won't touch the Beretta at now.
Old 04-21-2012, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

USP - I love HK's, but the USP grip is on the large size. a USPc may fit a youth better. If I was getting a 45 I would get the HK45 (from Table ROck Arms SSE).
Berretta 92f - I am not a fan of the ergonomics of this gun, I hate the postion of the safety (cant reach it and its opposite of the 1911 lever or HK levers) and the gun just doesnt fit my hand. If you read about it, the only reason the US army (actually congress guided the decision) picked it was politics, congress wanted to give business to our ally , Italy.
Colt. I love these guns for the history, but I perfer a modern design handgun. cant beat the 45 caliber tho.

Last edited by Saym14; 04-21-2012 at 7:42 PM..
Old 04-27-2012, 8:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

This is what I've noticed. Some guns from different countries were designed for big tall guys. I am short and stocky. I've found that FNH and Para Ordnance makes guns that fit me better than any other brand I've tried both rifles and pistols. Try a range that lets you swap out the pistols without charge to see which feels better in your hands. I know LAX Range allows pistol swapping.
The volume of blood necessary to achieve erection would cause you to either pass out or if you didn't and managed to maintain an erection you would likely die from lack of oxygen to the heart and brain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
Just be glad you are not his next door neighbor. I am sure there are "good tunes" flowing out the window. I am imagining a cop car pulling up at 1:30 AM asking "Are you having a party?" and Bundo sayin "Nope just me and the BG's"
Old 04-27-2012, 9:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
Colt 1911 .45 says you're a classy guy.

Beretta says you like large capacity of small projectiles.

USP says you like a company that treats civilian customers like ****.

A Colt or an Italian Beretta for a young guy is a hell of a first buy.
i bought my Beretta at 21 and still have it to this day. i love it. no issues at all. 92FS. i also have a Kimber .45 love it as well. i'm not a huge handgun fan but i do like to shoot them.

the beretta fits my hand very well as does the kimber. so go shoot them all if you can you will find what you like. it does'nt matter what other people tell you what gun is what find one that you like and stick with it.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 04-27-2012, 9:25 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have a Beretta 92f and think the gun is a fantastic firearm. I have put thousands of rounds down the barrel since it was issued to me in 1990 and I have never had one problem with it, period.

I had never shot a semi-auto before the Beretta and when my class qualified near the end of the day of shooting, I scored 287 out of 300. It is a very accurate weapon. My dept. did a lot of testing like the military before approving the 92f as a duty weapon. They now issue the 92fs, tho they permit other designated semi-autos to be utilized. If they didn't believe it was a good firearm, they would not issue it.

Some of the smaller males and the females on the dept. had problems with it due to the large grip, but it fits my hand perfectly.

I bought my gun from my department when I retired in 2003 and still take it to the range. It still shoots great.

I won't badmouth the H&K as I have never shot it. I have two 1911 pistols. One a SA Milspec and one a SA Professional. I like them both and consider my Pro, my favorite of all my handguns (I have more).
Old 04-29-2012, 6:02 PM

I love Colt 1911's and am a HUGE fan on HK USP's, not so much the Berettas though. I shoot better with the USP and I really enjoy the balance of the gun. It has a really solid well built feel to it and will last you FOREVER. I've put well over 5k rounds through mine and it shoots like it did the day i bought it. If you are willing to spend a few bucks I would go with the USP...not saying Colt's are inexpensive

FS
Old 05-01-2012, 3:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I am not a fan of the Beretta 92/96. For target shooting and plinking it is fine. Ironically enough, it is not the best choice for a tactical or combat pistol. The first DA pull is extraordinarily hard and long, the follow up shots are short and light. Increases the learning curve. Cannot bypass the DA pull from the holster because the safety doubles as a decocker. Which means no cocked and locked carry to exploit the SA pull. If you plan on joining the military, it doesn't hurt to learn on government issue weapon. But since you are a youngster, I see no other reason this should be your first choice. You have no nostaligia blinding you to its flaws.

The 1911 by contrast is SAO. It only has one light pull. The safety is a tradtional safety and not a decocker. You carry it cocked and locked. Just pull, point in and flip off the safety, and fire fire fire your sighted shots with easy. Learning curve is much lower. Properly maintained they run great, but they can require a little more TLC to keep them running. They are not guns you trick out after the fact. Unlike other guns, after market parts are almost never drop-in and usually cause problems. Buy it the way you want it. Shoot it the way it comes. Changing sights, grips, magwell is fine. Just everything is is really terrible idea to change.

USP comes in every possible action combination. Which makes it difficult to compare to other guns. Does have a very goofy magazine release that a lot of people cannot master without using both the thumb and trigger finger to attack it from both sides to get it to function properly. If a round is in the chamber, you get dangerously close to the trigger well when your finger would normally be high on the slide. The finish is crap. Noticable holster wear begins the very first time you holster it. Other than that I like it.

Glocks and Glock clones are the easiest to learn on. No thumb safety. No decocker. Same medium weight trigger pull every time. Short trigger reset. Very fast gun. Easy to learn on. However, you will definately need a course to engrain the proper safety principles into muscle memory and learn the basics of defensive shooting. You pull the trigger it goes boom. So there is zero forgiveness for stupidity. Follow the rules and have the discipline you should have with all guns and you will be fine. But if you are new, you will have great difficulty keeping your finger off the damn trigger. Everybody does. Thank Hollywood for that one.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 05-01-2012 at 3:07 PM..