Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How well do you know your AR15?
I dont know much about it but would like to learn 15 18.07%
I shoot and clean it but thats about it 24 28.92%
I am skilled and can share my skills 41 49.40%
Other explain in post 7 8.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2013, 5:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Default How familiar are you with your AR15

Please answer honestly,

Just to get an idea how familiar are you with your AR15?

Can you break it down in under a minute?
Do you know how to make your bolt hold back without firing your last round?
What do you know about basic marksmanship?
Can you name all the parts on your AR?
Any tips and tricks can you share in person?

Reason I ask is that ive seen many people at the range with various experience. Some dont know much to people who can tell you all the history and handle it blindfolded.

Also maybe in the future, I would like to get a small group to teach and learn from others. I would like to share what I learned in the Marines and learn so others can help other shooters gain skills on how to operate, learn about safety and improve their marksmanship.

This is what we used to break down the rifle in a minute or less

Last edited by Darklyte27; 04-06-2013 at 9:23 PM..
Old 03-26-2013, 5:34 PM

err
Old 03-26-2013, 6:02 PM
Veteran Member

Break it down how? Separate upper and lower and remove bolt?

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 03-26-2013, 6:12 PM

Not as familiar as I'd like to be. I would definitely be interested in attending a "class" to learn more.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)

I can separate upper from lower. Yeah I can lock back the bolt manually. I installed the LPK, buffer and stock. Attached the fully assembled upper. Mine is featureless, so no BB. I would be interested in learning more though.
CalGuns Network (CGN) is different from CalGuns Foundation (CGF). Both need our support. I have gold name because I support CGN; plus, I send $10 every two weeks to CGF automatically via online BillPay as described here.

Support CGF by shopping at Amazon!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Banned

Good thread.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:06 AM
Calguns Addict

I think the best way to learn about ho a gun works is to build one. I can't tell you how much I learned from building my first AK. You really get to learn to function of every part you are putting on there. With the AR it's great to watch in depth youtube videos on how the gun is totally stripped and put together and how the gun functions etc. I know when I first bought my AR as soon as I turned 18 I didn't know how the gun functioned I didn't even know what the buffer and buffer spring were and I couldn't confidently field strip the gun. Now field stripping, cleaning, replacing parts and explaining the function of each part to new shooters I take to the range is like second nature.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 03-27-2013, 3:03 PM
Calguns Addict

I saw a guy at the range once, the buzzer went off, I told him he needed to lock his bolt back, he said his bolt doesnt lock back. I quickly showed him how as the RO was waiting on him.

Also its great that many people are building their own rifles, not everyone has though. Id like to also help teach and learn how to clear jams you dont see every day.

thanks for the replies so far good to get an idea.
Its true you can learn stuff on youtube too, its even better to do it physically too.
Old 03-27-2013, 3:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I make it a point to become intimately familiar with my guns. My AR is no exception, especially since I sourced all the parts and assembled them myself.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 03-27-2013, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanW66 View Post
I can separate upper from lower. Yeah I can lock back the bolt manually. I installed the LPK, buffer and stock. Attached the fully assembled upper. Mine is featureless, so no BB. I would be interested in learning more though.
Same here, except I have a BB.
Old 03-31-2013, 8:28 AM

I assembled the lower. I know every part of that. I know how to clear a jam, lock the bolt, take apart the BCG, know what a M4 feedramp is...removed stock MB and installed a PWS FSC556

I purchased a complete upper in the past but now I'm going to assemble a upper myself. (I know what to do and how to do it but parts, tools and the 'final product' thoughts are missing or under research)

I'm at least 6-9 months out before I get the upper done though... slowly putting together parts, tools, ideas. Going to be a 16" or 18" 1-8 twist mid-lenght, freefloat. Getting parts now is a b--ch so I can wait....

Onegtalon... toooooo many hobbies man !...

HDF, CGN/CGF member
Old 04-01-2013, 4:02 PM
Veteran Member

The one thing I need to remind myself to do is put the gun on safe after firing it. I started with an XD so I never had a safety on that to engage. I'll get it.

Other than that, I fully assembled my first AR, upper and lower. Already got my second lower assembled. Now to try and find a built upper, since it's cheaper than assembling it myself.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
Old 04-04-2013, 7:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm definitely interested in learning more. I have a basic Stag 1H and had a brief sitdown with my FFL and he instructed me on the basic break down from upper and lower and showed me basic operation. I've only put 100 rounds with my FFL after I picked it up back in Oct and cleaned once since then. Unfortunately time for me to go out and shoot has been limited. Honestly, I don't want to be "that guy" at the range until I get more familiar with my rifle.
Old 04-05-2013, 3:29 PM

I would also be interested in learning more about my AR. I am almost done building mine, and don't wanna be a complete idiot when it comes to shooting it
NFA Poly Build
S&W SD9VE
Maadi AKM47-build in progress
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless .270
(Matrix)SIG P228
Old 04-05-2013, 5:46 PM

+1 to what policestate said in post #9 above
Old 04-17-2013, 10:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default AR Course From Reed's Indor Range

Hello all, just saw this on the Reed's FB page:

http://reedsindoorrange.com/training.html

Quote:
Semper Paratus Arms

Taught by a veteran of both the U.S Army and U.S Coast Guard, who has over 20 years of experience using the AR15 family of weapons. Having completed a deployment to the Middle East in support of operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom in 2005, he entered into the private sector working in Iraq and Afghanistan for over 6 years as an armorer/instructor for several large private military companies (Blackwater USA, Triple Canopy, Olive Group and SOC-SMG) supporting the Department of Defense and the Department of State. He has attended and completed numerous factory armorer courses from such companies as Beretta, Barrett, Colt, Dillon Aero, FNHUSA, Glock, Knights’ Armament, Remington, and Sig Sauer. He has also consulted with both SIONICS Weapons Systems, and Bravo Company USA

2 Day AR15 Armorer’s Course
All students will need to provide their own AR rifle/pistol for the course. At the conclusion of the course, all students should be able to assemble a fully functional weapon from parts. In addition they should be able to recognize common malfunctions, and be able to troubleshoot issues that are frequently encountered. This is course is not company or brand specific, and is applicable to almost all direct impingement system AR rifles and pistols. $400.00 View course description and application form »
$400 is kinda pricey for my taste and not in my budget at of now. Just wondering if OP has seen this, and what are this thoughts? Is there any headway based on responses from the Bay Area sub-forum to proceed? Just curious.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carb1a4h View Post
Hello all, just saw this on the Reed's FB page:

http://reedsindoorrange.com/training.html

$400 is kinda pricey for my taste and not in my budget at of now. Just wondering if OP has seen this, and what are this thoughts? Is there any headway based on responses from the Bay Area sub-forum to proceed? Just curious.
That's ridiculous.... I'll help anyone who needs it build their lower, provided that they have a lower parts kit and stock kit.
/thread.

ΦΑ
Old 04-17-2013, 10:40 AM

Default happy to share..

Not an armorer by any stretch of the imagination but I have built and assembled 10 -15 + AR platform rifles from scratch and am happy to share any of my experiences and knowledge
Old 04-17-2013, 11:22 AM

Im an Armorer and NO I will not work on peeps rifles after some asshat was a douchecanoe....But I would be willing to show teach those that want to know as much as I want them to know but not all that I know... haha
Old 04-25-2013, 8:21 PM

Back when I was a private, and long before I had to wear glasses to read this, I could break it down & assemble it blindfolded. 20 years passed before I got another AR, and funny, it all came back to me pretty quick. Point is, learn it, practice it until it is second nature and you will always have that skill for the rest of your years. Kind of like riding a bike.
Old 04-26-2013, 1:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Its good to see we have a mix of experiences.
I think we can probably start planning a date on a weekend at the range.

By no means am I "specops" or anything of that nature, just basic marine rifle knowledge. People in the service now and those have have served longer than me can probably help out with new things being taught in the service these days or no longer taught.

We can do some basic "school circle" stuff for the new guys and basic marksmanship stuff. What do you guys think?
Old 04-26-2013, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

Haven't even seen it. Shipping to me soon. Never handled one before.
Old 04-27-2013, 8:05 PM

Always interested in learning something new. Bought my AR a month ago, but have yet to shoot it. I have however broken it down to clean. I have also viewed several videos...so i'm definitely a noob!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:31 AM

I have only shot 1 once, and waiting for mine to be released from jail on Saturday. So I need some training, for sure. I grew up around hunting rifles, so I have a basic knowledge of firearms. I shoot handguns fairly regularly so I'm not a complete noob.

I can take down upper and lower, can most likely take down bcg, just from watching videos.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 AM
CGN Contributor

I've slept with mine... a lot.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:58 AM

how does one lock the bolt back?
Old 04-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks619 View Post
how does one lock the bolt back?
Easiest way I can think of is insert an empty mag and pull it back. Alternatively you can pull it back and maneuver the bolt catch out.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
Old 04-29-2013, 1:08 PM

I learned a lot when I assembled my 2nd AR compared when I just bought a complete AR for my first. I am a little more confident now and knows a more on how the rifle functions.
Old 04-29-2013, 9:00 PM

The way I learned was breaking it down, reassembling and doing functions checks with a mat similar to the one that Darklyte has in the OP. Eventually got rid of the mat and started timing myself. Then before I built my second AR from parts I practiced taking down the one I had, completely stripping the lower and making sure I could do that repeatedly. I still get a little surprised for a second when I cant do the burst check though, and then I remember lol...

Function check:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBHVMy2VuNo

Good video for those curious about how the AR trigger group works too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJegVLr1rEU

Sloppy, but so easy a girl can do it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irykjLjuKo8
Live and die on this day.
Old 05-08-2013, 6:04 AM

I just picked up my first AR, but already learning fast. My only regret is not getting into this hobby of mine sooner. My next "phase" is to learn how to break it down completely and eventually build one myself.

Thanks for posting this thread.
Old 05-08-2013, 7:44 AM
Veteran Member

Would the fact that I have 8+ years of using one in the military make me a ringer?
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 05-09-2013, 7:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Now that this thread has been out for a while, we should get some volunteers together first and discuss what we can share. maybe we can meet up one of these days and go over how we want to give this mini class?

Also any other members of the 5 clubs at USI? Is it possible to use the clubhouse or hunter edu building before heading down to the range? Can we break down a rifle for education?
If were not able to use the clubhouse, were limited on how we can operate our rifle at the shooting benches.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 PM

Just built my first upper group. (for my 3rd AR). Did headspace checks and it's gtg... I will do a test fire on Tuesday night at Sunnyvale. (my 80% lower build parts is on hold thanks to PSA slow a-- shipping so I'll have to use one of my existing lowers)

JD upper
Lapped the upper with brownells lapping tool and lapping compound from autozone (no graphite)
BHW barrel 1:8, polygonal, 16" mid lenght
BCM Low pro gas block
AR15.com BCG
Gunfighter ch handle mod 4
Battlecomp 1.0 muzzle break
Larue 11" free float handguard

If this works out I will never buy another complete upper again..

Sent from my iPhone
OneGtalon

Onegtalon... toooooo many hobbies man !...

HDF, CGN/CGF member