Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-20-2017, 5:06 PM

Default Gen 4 Glocks

Any one have any info or speculation as to why Gen 4 Glocks are not approved? Does Glock just not want to deal with CA anymore?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 5:09 PM
Veteran Member

Glock Gen 4's do not meet the "California safety standards".

The California Department of Justice (“DOJ”) publishes and maintains a roster listing all handguns that have been tested by a certified testing laboratory, determined not to be unsafe handguns, and that may be sold in California.10

DOJ may retest up to five percent of handgun models listed on the roster annually.11 The Attorney General must remove from the roster any model that fails retesting.12 DOJ also maintains a list of handguns removed from the state roster.

An “unsafe handgun” also includes:

• Any center-fire semiautomatic pistol that is not already listed on the roster as of January 1, 2006, and does not have either a chamber load indicator,13 or a magazine disconnect mechanism;14

• Any rimfire semiautomatic pistol that is not already listed on the roster as of January 1, 2006, and does not have a magazine disconnect mechanism, if it has a detachable magazine;15 and

• Any center-fire semiautomatic pistol that is not already listed on the roster as of January 1, 2007, and does not have both a chamber load indicator or, if it has a detachable magazine, a magazine disconnect mechanism.16

Due to a law that became effective January 1, 2010, new models of semiautomatic pistols sold in California are required to have microstamping technology integrated into the pistol design, or the handgun will be deemed an “unsafe handgun.”17 However, this requirement has been challenged by the gun lobby in federal court and the outcome of this litigation is still pending.

Last edited by 003; 03-20-2017 at 5:12 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 5:12 PM
Casual Plinker
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

no microstamping, mag disconnect, LCI?
Old 03-20-2017, 5:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
Glock Gen 4's do not meet the "California safety standards".

The California Department of Justice (“DOJ”) publishes and maintains a roster listing all handguns that have been tested by a certified testing laboratory, determined not to be unsafe handguns, and that may be sold in California.10

DOJ may retest up to five percent of handgun models listed on the roster annually.11 The Attorney General must remove from the roster any model that fails retesting.12 DOJ also maintains a list of handguns removed from the state roster.

An “unsafe handgun” also includes:

• Any center-fire semiautomatic pistol that is not already listed on the roster as of January 1, 2006, and does not have either a chamber load indicator,13 or a magazine disconnect mechanism;14

• Any rimfire semiautomatic pistol that is not already listed on the roster as of January 1, 2006, and does not have a magazine disconnect mechanism, if it has a detachable magazine;15 and

• Any center-fire semiautomatic pistol that is not already listed on the roster as of January 1, 2007, and does not have both a chamber load indicator or, if it has a detachable magazine, a magazine disconnect mechanism.16

Due to a law that became effective January 1, 2010, new models of semiautomatic pistols sold in California are required to have microstamping technology integrated into the pistol design, or the handgun will be deemed an “unsafe handgun.”17 However, this requirement has been challenged by the gun lobby in federal court and the outcome of this litigation is still pending.
This
Old 03-20-2017, 5:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19D View Post
Any one have any info or speculation as to why Gen 4 Glocks are not approved? Does Glock just not want to deal with CA anymore?

Micro stamping. Applies to all handguns not grandfathered in.
Old 03-20-2017, 5:47 PM
Veteran Member

I didnt realize microstamping went all the way back to 2010. No wonder I don't see any new semi autos.

Doesn't a revolver count as semi auto unless strictly built as a single action? How did the Kimberly K6S make it into the roster recently?
Old 03-20-2017, 5:52 PM

Roster was already bad enough as it is with all the new requirements in order to be able to place a handgun on the roster with the extortion fee. The microstamping was just the icing on the cake.
Old 03-20-2017, 5:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

How can they require microstampin when there is no working device?
Old 03-20-2017, 6:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iareConfusE View Post
I didnt realize microstamping went all the way back to 2010. No wonder I don't see any new semi autos.

Doesn't a revolver count as semi auto unless strictly built as a single action? How did the Kimberly K6S make it into the roster recently?
A revolver is not a semi auto pistol. Semi auto requirements don't apply to revolvers.
Old 03-20-2017, 6:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
How can they require microstampin when there is no working device?
They can't. But they did. And that's why we have lawsuits going.
Old 03-20-2017, 6:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Well Cav Scout, its more of California don't want to deal with Glock or any other firearm manufacturer.
Old 03-20-2017, 6:44 PM
Veteran Member

It's a glock, nuff said.
Old 03-20-2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Micro stamping. Applies to all handguns not grandfathered in.
How did the CA version of the Shield get on the roster?
Old 03-20-2017, 6:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnon View Post

S&W entire M&P handgun line (including the Shield but excluding the BodyGuard) were put on the roster before the Micro Stamping requirement was applied. S&W made a corporate decision to continue to improve the M&P handgun line thus losing the grandfather provision. For some reason they continued to produce a CA version of the Shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 6:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnon View Post
it was added before the microstamping requirement
Old 03-20-2017, 7:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
S&W entire M&P handgun line (including the Shield but excluding the BodyGuard) were put on the roster before the Micro Stamping requirement was applied. S&W made a corporate decision to continue to improve the M&P handgun line thus losing the grandfather provision. For some reason they continued to produce a CA version of the Shield.

They are keeping the SDVE and Shield for CA. There was a press release about why a few years back. The SDVEs probably sell pretty well among everyday Joes who aren't trigger snobs and can get a gun for $200 less than a Glock.

The Shield's only competition are the 3-4 Kahrs on roster. Only one costs less.
Old 03-20-2017, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csshih View Post
no microstamping, mag disconnect, LCI?
Yep
I will never own a gun with a LCI. Useless feature required by arrogant leftist who know nothing about firearms.
Old 03-20-2017, 9:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

CA does not want to deal with Glock anymore.
Old 03-21-2017, 4:58 AM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Gaston has had enough of Cali regulations and will not comply!!!
Old 03-21-2017, 9:33 AM

Having recently gotten back into guns/shooting from a long hiatus, I am blown away by just how bad it is in CA. I mean I expected it to be bad, but this is far worse than I expected.

Old 03-21-2017, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Does Glock just not want to deal with CA anymore?
On the contrary, Glock was the ONLY manufacturer to directly file an amicus brief in the Pena v. Cid case to get rid of the roster. None of the other manufacturer's cared enough about us to file separate briefs on our behalf.
Old 03-21-2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:

Ok, someone said 2010 for microstamping and I think Shield came out 2013 or 14. So microstamping was probably required some time after 2013 and not 2010.
Old 03-21-2017, 6:14 PM
Veteran Member

Default Gen 4 Glocks

The law was passed with the caveat micro stamping had to be possible. Some Dbag had already patented it but had no proof of concept. He later open resourced the unworkable patents and Kamala "certified" micro stamping was viable without any proof of concept.

Old 03-21-2017, 7:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoka View Post
On the contrary, Glock was the ONLY manufacturer to directly file an amicus brief in the Pena v. Cid case to get rid of the roster. None of the other manufacturer's cared enough about us to file separate briefs on our behalf.
Very important point indeed.

On a side note I am okay with a Glock 19 Gen 3.
Old 03-21-2017, 7:17 PM

Gen 4s are too good for California peasants.
Old 03-22-2017, 7:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachrv View Post
Yep
I will never own a gun with a LCI. Useless feature required by arrogant leftist who knows nothing about firearms.

The Walther PPK had a loaded chamber indicator for a long time; since at least the 1980's. It was something that made it desirable.

I would rally like to know how many lives were saved by a magazine disconnect and LCI. Probably the same amount of crimes that were solved by registering spent cases of brass: Zero.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 03-22-2017, 8:38 AM

Background
In 2007, Assembly Bill 1471 was passed and signed into law, requiring all semiautomatic pistols
to be equipped with microstamping technology—“a microscopic array of characters that identify
the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more
places on the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by
imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired.” (Pen. Code, § 31910, subd.
(b)(7)(A).) The legislation further provided that this requirement becomes effective when the
Department of Justice “certifies that the technology used to create the [microstamp] imprint is
available to more than one manufacturer unencumbered by any patent restrictions.” (Ibid.)

Certification of the Microstamping Technology

On May 17, 2013, the Department of Justice issued a certification that the microstamping
technology is available to more than one manufacturer unencumbered by any patent restrictions.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

I'm fine with Gen 3's.

If the Gen 4's could be added to the roster, I MIGHT be interested in the G43, but then again, it would have to be close to a blue label deal at that.
Old 03-22-2017, 4:48 PM

Quote:
The law was passed with the caveat micro stamping had to be possible. Some Dbag had already patented it but had no proof of concept. He later open resourced the unworkable patents and Kamala "certified" micro stamping was viable without any proof of concept.

Seems like a simple concept and certainly viable but requiring it violates "in common use". If someone pursues Kamala to jail, I'd 10x my usual donations.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Cubed View Post
Background
In 2007, Assembly Bill 1471 was passed and signed into law, requiring all semiautomatic pistols
to be equipped with microstamping technology—“a microscopic array of characters that identify
the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more
places on the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by
imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired.” (Pen. Code, § 31910, subd.
(b)(7)(A).) The legislation further provided that this requirement becomes effective when the
Department of Justice “certifies that the technology used to create the [microstamp] imprint is
available to more than one manufacturer unencumbered by any patent restrictions.” (Ibid.)

Certification of the Microstamping Technology

On May 17, 2013, the Department of Justice issued a certification that the microstamping
technology is available to more than one manufacturer unencumbered by any patent restrictions.

The patent isn't even viable. There was no further proof of concept. If some organization can successfully challenge the patent as invalid, then AB1471 becomes invalid. Instead of bashing our collective heads against the 9th and DOJ, pull an end run at the patent office.

Old 03-26-2017, 5:54 AM

until the court settles we cannot get any new handguns into the market that are doj approved that includes military surplus but excludes c and rs if you dont mind running around with old muasers you are good to go.