Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Aldemar Aldemar is offline
On Everyone's Ignore List
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Orange, TX.....Retired!!!
Posts: 4,524
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default Carry Insurance

I've been hearing commercials for two companies that will provide legal assistance in the event you are involved in a self defense shooting.

ccwsafe.com and carry123.com

Does anyone actually have such a policy and if so, what does it really cover?
__________________
AL
CGF Contributor
NRA Golden Eagle

Being north of 65 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-12-2013, 7:35 AM
b_madeiros b_madeiros is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 121
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-12-2013, 10:43 AM
imabird's Avatar
imabird imabird is offline
Member
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 124
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Check out USCCA Self Defense Shield.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/
Reasonably priced, good coverage. I've had it for 3 years. Hope to never need to use it...

Last edited by imabird; 09-12-2013 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-12-2013, 3:36 PM
becxltoo984's Avatar
becxltoo984 becxltoo984 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 658
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

And only for a $99.00 ...Humm

http://ccwsafe.com/shop/single/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-12-2013, 3:50 PM
BigJ's Avatar
BigJ BigJ is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,175
iTrader: 67 / 100%
Default

Even though my county sheriff refuses to give me an application, I've looked into and bought two forms of CCW insurance/coverage.

1) https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ is your traditional insurance type of service. Basically when you're proven innocent, they'll cover your legal bills both criminally and civilly.

But what about actually putting together a case? Or covering those costs at the time they're due? Or picking the best possible experts? That's where the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network comes in.

2) http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/

These are the guys you'll want to have 3rd on your speed dial list, right behind (1) 911 and (2) your lawyer. They immediately kick in $10k to your lawyer to get your defense started right away (that you don't have to pay back). They then work with your lawyer to ensure you're getting the best possible defense. Depending on circumstances, they'll also step up with funds to keep the defense moving.

The way I look at these two parts is this: My lawyer + the ACLDN is who will get me acquitted, and the USCCA is who will pay me back when the dust settles.
__________________
"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." - Elmer Davis

Last edited by BigJ; 09-12-2013 at 3:53 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-12-2013, 4:00 PM
BJU2bones BJU2bones is offline
Cal Gunner for Life!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sack O tomatoes
Posts: 96
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default +1

....and make sure you read the fine print.

__________________
*** In comparing the virtues of various calibers, using hollow point ammo: it is absolutely undeniable that, while a 9 mm or .40 S&W may or may not expand, a .45 will never shrink. ***
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-13-2013, 9:52 AM
Aldemar Aldemar is offline
On Everyone's Ignore List
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Orange, TX.....Retired!!!
Posts: 4,524
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by becxltoo984 View Post
And only for a $99.00 ...Humm

http://ccwsafe.com/shop/single/
I just got off the phone with the two guys who own the company as I had a question regarding Item #2 in the Product Description. Item #2 points to #1 regarding the location of a self defense act. I read that to mean that if you are in a state where you cannot obtain a CCW, the coverage is not valid. As I live in LA City, this is an obvious sticking point for me. There is also the question of staying in a hotel in a state which does not have reciprocity with your permit(s).

They pointed me to item#3 but I'm not 100% convinced this would cover me in my own home. Does "outside your CCW" mean just a gun that is not listed on your permit or in a state with no reciprocity for your permit(s).

These guys really spent some time with me and I really appreciated it. However, they have only been in business since 2011 and have not yet had any self defense situations they had to defend.

It may be worth the $99.00. Hell, I go thru more than that in ammo some weekends.
__________________
AL
CGF Contributor
NRA Golden Eagle

Being north of 65 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Willwork4ammo Willwork4ammo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 218
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldemar View Post
I just got off the phone with the two guys who own the company as I had a question regarding Item #2 in the Product Description. Item #2 points to #1 regarding the location of a self defense act. I read that to mean that if you are in a state where you cannot obtain a CCW, the coverage is not valid. As I live in LA City, this is an obvious sticking point for me. There is also the question of staying in a hotel in a state which does not have reciprocity with your permit(s).

They pointed me to item#3 but I'm not 100% convinced this would cover me in my own home. Does "outside your CCW" mean just a gun that is not listed on your permit or in a state with no reciprocity for your permit(s).

These guys really spent some time with me and I really appreciated it. However, they have only been in business since 2011 and have not yet had any self defense situations they had to defend.

It may be worth the $99.00. Hell, I go thru more than that in ammo some weekends.
It is nice that they spent time with you on the phone. However, if there are that many things that they "may or may not cover" and cannot answer with a firm yes or no, I'd say move on. Granted it's only $99, but then again, it's just below that threshold that people say, "It may be worth the $99.00. Hell, I go thru more than that in ammo some weekends" and that's what sells it. Kind of like sending $30 to a Kickstarter account for an 80% lower. You may or may not get it. If you don't, you only lost $30.

Stick to the more established companies. ie The 2 BigJ mentioned seem to be the most popular.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-13-2013, 12:28 PM
e90bmw e90bmw is offline
Senior Member
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Northern Ca.
Posts: 1,268
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

A hotel for all intents and purposes is considered your domicile while you rent it. CCW does not need to apply. You can conceal or openly carry just like on your own property, unless the hotel has a strict written policy about firearms.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-14-2013, 7:42 AM
isunelan isunelan is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
Even though my county sheriff refuses to give me an application, I've looked into and bought two forms of CCW insurance/coverage.

1) https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ is your traditional insurance type of service. Basically when you're proven innocent, they'll cover your legal bills both criminally and civilly.

But what about actually putting together a case? Or covering those costs at the time they're due? Or picking the best possible experts? That's where the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network comes in.

2) http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/

These are the guys you'll want to have 3rd on your speed dial list, right behind (1) 911 and (2) your lawyer. They immediately kick in $10k to your lawyer to get your defense started right away (that you don't have to pay back). They then work with your lawyer to ensure you're getting the best possible defense. Depending on circumstances, they'll also step up with funds to keep the defense moving.

The way I look at these two parts is this: My lawyer + the ACLDN is who will get me acquitted, and the USCCA is who will pay me back when the dust settles.


Doesnt https://www.usconcealedcarry.com provide the same service as armedcitizens? they both give $10,000 immediately to start and does not need to be repaid regardless of the verdict.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-14-2013, 9:50 AM
The Gleam's Avatar
The Gleam The Gleam is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,681
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_madeiros View Post
anyone?
A "special CCW policy" is not necessary - all 50 states, so long as you have some form of Comprehensive Personal Liability or Personal Liability policy/endorsement. As long as you are using your pistol in self-defense and within your right to do so, a standard Comprehensive Personal Liability or Personal Liability endorsement on your Homeowners coverage (with an Umbrella liability for high limits to go over that) would cover you and defense costs, typically with no deductible. And defense costs would be outside the limits. Neither CPL or PL excludes use of a firearm to defend your life or the life of your family. CPL follows you WORLDWIDE even in foreign territories (whereas the general liability portion of your policy might not). Now the part of this that does present exceptions are:

1) Not everyone has a CPL in the first place, or even one with limits above $1 Million. Even many that do have CPL, do not have an Umbrella.

2) Not everyone has an HO-form policy in the first place to get a Personal Liability endorsement, even at minimum limits offered such as $100K to $500K.

3) Maybe you are a renter, but never considered renter's insurance because most people think of it as only necessary for covering their valuables as a renter - not so - you should be able to get the Personal Liability added to it on the cheap.

If you've got none of the three above already, yeah, you can probably arrange it where it would likely be paying just a bit more as a "specialty" policy for this purpose, where you would be getting a whole lot more for your money on standard HO/renters policy to do the same thing. Honestly, I think you get a better coverage this way, because I am not liking what they are saying about coverage not applying where your CCW is not valid or recognized.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

Last edited by The Gleam; 09-14-2013 at 9:59 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-14-2013, 10:02 AM
The Gleam's Avatar
The Gleam The Gleam is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,681
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwork4ammo View Post
It is nice that they spent time with you on the phone. However, if there are that many things that they "may or may not cover" and cannot answer with a firm yes or no, I'd say move on. Granted it's only $99, but then again, it's just below that threshold that people say, "It may be worth the $99.00.
I agree; in fact, it's akin to a garbage policy not worth the paper it's printed on if there is that much ambiguity. May not even be filed as admitted in all 50 states (if any) as just some crap idea some hack thought up and is peddling. They may even tell you it's technically "not insurance" being a "warranty" so it's not regulated by insurance law. If you are that concerned, ask to see a specimen of the policy; they must provide it to you before buying the coverage. An insurance policy is a CONTRACT: they can't "NOT" show it to you before you buy it.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?

Last edited by The Gleam; 09-14-2013 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:55 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.