Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 12-29-2007, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardaukar View Post
I'd go with you to Target Masters, but my 9mm AR is still broken and I don't own any modern pistols.
Most of my stuff is HG's, I'm sure I can find something for you to shoot. I'll clean, you buy the ammo.

AKA RAD-G27

Last edited by RAD-CDPII; 12-30-2007 at 8:29 AM..
Old 12-29-2007, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcubed4130 View Post
Just finished cleaning my rifles; my shotgun can wait - wasn't shooting corrosive through the BOOMSTICK.

-M3
If the Boomstick is the one I am thinking of, it can hurt the shooter as well. Don't get too close to a scope on a SG!

I was not the one that got too close.

AKA RAD-G27

Last edited by RAD-CDPII; 12-29-2007 at 7:44 PM..
Old 12-29-2007, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD-G27 View Post
If the Boomstick is the one I am thinking of, it can hurt the shooter as well. Don't get too close to a scope on a SG!

Did somebody get "scoped" today?
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gif
NRA Member
Old 12-29-2007, 7:56 PM

Damn, we should've lined the rim of the scope with black ink so we could tell who took it in the eye!
"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 12-29-2007, 7:59 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD-G27 View Post

If memory serves it was kbyrd, that showed a little blood on the forehead.

And yes, with the Knoxx SpecOps there is about 1" of backward travel on the scope. The scope itself is long eye-relief... but regardless, choking up on my BOOMSTICK can be painful - even though the scope does have a rubber ring.

-M3

Last edited by mcubed4130; 12-29-2007 at 8:03 PM..
Old 12-29-2007, 8:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi View Post
Damn, we should've lined the rim of the scope with black ink so we could tell who took it in the eye!
I think you'd be able to tell anyways, safety glasses do a number on your face when they're jammed into it! My buddy got scoped by a TC contender in 45-70 and he bled like a stuck pig
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
NRA Member
Old 12-29-2007, 8:13 PM
Banned

Drats!

My car broke down yesterday and I wasn't able to get it fixed until too late to make it down there!!!

Sounds like everyone had fun. . .

I did end up taking a short trip to Chabot - there were (except for me) ZERO black rifles there. I think they were all at Metcalf.

Old 12-29-2007, 8:21 PM
Veteran Member

That wasn't the real 'BoomStick' out there today, I had the real boomstick.
Old 12-29-2007, 8:39 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue84s10 View Post
HIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
I was thinking more like.... SWWWWWIIIIIISSSSSSSS...

But then the sound I notice does travel to the sides more.... so I'll go with your expert judgment.

Next time, we'll bring the waterproof shooting mat for your 1919a4. Great weapon... I'm still pondering the M2HB.

-M3
Old 12-29-2007, 8:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I was thinking more like.... SWWWWWIIIIIISSSSSSSS...

But then the sound I notice does travel to the sides more.... so I'll go with your expert judgment.

Next time, we'll bring the waterproof shooting mat for your 1919a4. Great weapon... I'm still pondering the M2HB.

-M3

Yea I'll bring a tarp, or packing blanket or somethin. I love watching other people shoot it especially when they've never shot one before.
NRA Member
Old 12-29-2007, 8:56 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Yea I'll bring a tarp, or packing blanket or somethin. I love watching other people shoot it especially when they've never shot one before.
I thought my son's reaction was classic, when I tried to get him to shoot your 1919A4... Then you took it back to him, "You wanna shoot it?" "No..." "You afraid to shoot it?" "Yes!".

At least I'm raising an honest kid.

-M3
Old 12-29-2007, 9:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Videos from the meet. Only two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wB25yhyzsE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7s71zOaGuY

YouTube really compresses the videos. If anyone wants better resolution versions, let me know and I'll upload them to a different site for you to download.
Old 12-29-2007, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardaukar View Post
Videos from the meet. Only two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wB25yhyzsE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7s71zOaGuY

YouTube really compresses the videos. If anyone wants better resolution versions, let me know and I'll upload them to a different site for you to download.
I'd be down for that, haha.
"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 12-29-2007, 9:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As requested:

http://rapidshare.com/files/80010002...9-01b.avi.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/80009803...9-02b.avi.html
Old 12-29-2007, 9:50 PM
Veteran Member

Had a good time also. The place was sure packed. Thanks to Bruce for letting me try out that VERY NICE M-14. Puts mine to shame.
Nice meeting the rest of you guys. Till next time.
Old 12-29-2007, 9:52 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Heh, that was fun. I enjoyed hearing the weak "tink" sound coming back from the .22 hitting steel. Come to think of it, that was some of my favorite shooting (despite the ultra-cheap scope fogging to the point that I could barely see through it) today.

Note to self: shoot the .22 more!

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 12-29-2007, 9:58 PM

Quote:
I only got one pic and I took it after all of the shooting stopped. I'll post it later. I had a GREAT time. Lots of cool people to meet. Shooting the steel was the best. The only thing that sucked was the "gang banger" guys shooting at the end. They had a Stag with P50 installed, but setscrew out, and a shotgun or two. They were shooting from the hip, and yellin "foo" left and right. Those guys bugged the crap out of me, and if they're Calgunners, should be ashamed. One of the guys even got pissed at me when I told him he needed safety glasses before one of the RO's saw him. Not a care in the world about the rules, and people around them. "Hey foo how many bullets does that clip hold?" Me: "30" "Wow brah, you wanna sell one foo?" Me: "Nope that's illegal man" "Well, nobody has to know about it man". Wish Bill was there to stir the pot. My 9mm AR didn't function right because I don't have the right buffer setup in it yet. That was the only "fail" of the day. It's time to let everything dry out right now, one of my AR's got full of water because I left it in the rain while shooting my 1919 but it didn't slow it down at all.

ETA some pics:
The night before:

Before the shooting began:

The steel plates that I brought:

And somebody playing with someone else:
Apparently; you ran straight to the computer on this one right? Where do I begin. Initially, we started off on the wrong foot because it felt to me as though you had a problem with colored (or maybe beaners is a better word for you) people with guns (just my opinion, maybe im judging you wrong just like you did)...I personally saw somebody there shaking their head as we where shooting right off the bat, (i think my friend was bump firing) (why were we shooting like that? It was getting late and we had much unused loads left. I apologize if we appeared unsafe, but for my two crownies it was the first time.

The only part of your post wich I feel you are 100% correct was when my gansta friend!!! ...asked you if you wanted to sell one of your 30round mags, (I was on my knees shooting the stag) I stoped right away and I SAID out loud you can't thats Illegal, and you know what i apoligize for my friend asking you so many stupid question...(my friends 1st time to a shooting range, he didn't know any better). Again, this is why I joined the forum. To get the guidance and knowledge from the more experienced, but apparetly I am subject to your pre-conceived notions about the disenfranshised. Although, not so much know.

I was aware of the pin on the mag release being unscrewed. I think its stupid that you have a 30round mag on you, and i have a detacheble 10 round magazine release and im brakeing the law i just think its stupid, but thats for another day and another tread....us going to the range was a last minute thing, usually have a california legal gun lock going throught the ejection chamber down throught the mag well, and I had the screw pin all the way out because obiously the magazine needs to be off in order to put the gun lock on there...if there is a way to put the gun lock on there with the magazine install them please let me know. Like i said, as we left to the gun range I totally forgot to put the magazine and lock pin back on...I apologize if you felt unsafe...I know at one time or another we are all subject to certain mistakes, some more serious then others. Consequently; that mattered very little because you already had your mind set on what type of people we were. One: An honarably discharged marine maried with 3 children.
Two: A SJSU graduate working in Computer Engineering at Cisco System. Three: A county mechanical machinist for San Jose.
Yet, you are correct none of us are gun expersts and perhaps our lack of tactical atire helped developed your perception of who we are. Or our use of Spanglish, which is simply interchangibly using English and Spanish without due regard for others around us: I do appologize.

In culmination to this post, I felt you were condecending towards us. Which was why my partner gave you a smart question when you positively and accurately called me on my lack of eye wear.

I was excited in going today because I wanted to hear other gun afficionados perspective on all subjects relevant to this forum. Inspite of this less then welcoming situation, I still look forward to going to future events and plan to catch up more knowledge, safety, common sense, and jargon to guareentee my party does not upset anyone.

It was nice talking to the American Indian with trench coat.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:48 PM

Guys,

I just wanted to thank you for the great fun had today at the shoot. Thank you to those who gave me pointers - I know I need the help. Yes, for the record that is the most shooting I've done since before last March when I broke my wrist snowboarding.

For those who are intrested, Solano TargetMasters in Davis has their next match in on the 13th of January more information is at this site - http://www.actionpistol.org/target/target.htm
I know it is a bit of a drive but it is a lot of fun.

Thanks again.....
Old 12-29-2007, 11:09 PM

Good Times today everyone. It was great to put some faces to some of the screen names I've seen posting alot on here. I'm not on here as much as some, but it's nice to be apart of a "community" like this where people with similar interests can occassionaly organize events like what we had today. I'm happy that I shot well, met some kool people, and found another range in the Bay that I'd like to frequent.
Looking forward to the next meet! Take care all.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sicklx View Post
Apparently; you ran straight to the computer on this one right? Where do I begin. Initially, we started off on the wrong foot because it felt to me as though you had a problem with colored (or maybe beaners is a better word for you) people with guns (just my opinion, maybe im judging you wrong just like you did)...I personally saw somebody there shaking their head as we where shooting right off the bat, (i think my friend was bump firing) (why were we shooting like that? It was getting late and we had much unused loads left. I apologize if we appeared unsafe, but for my two crownies it was the first time.

The only part of your post wich I feel you are 100% correct was when my gansta friend!!! ...asked you if you wanted to sell one of your 30round mags, (I was on my knees shooting the stag) I stoped right away and I SAID out loud you can't thats Illegal, and you know what i apoligize for my friend asking you so many stupid question...(my friends 1st time to a shooting range, he didn't know any better). Again, this is why I joined the forum. To get the guidance and knowledge from the more experienced, but apparetly I am subject to your pre-conceived notions about the disenfranshised. Although, not so much know.

I was aware of the pin on the mag release being unscrewed. I think its stupid that you have a 30round mag on you, and i have a detacheble 10 round magazine release and im brakeing the law i just think its stupid, but thats for another day and another tread....us going to the range was a last minute thing, usually have a california legal gun lock going throught the ejection chamber down throught the mag well, and I had the screw pin all the way out because obiously the magazine needs to be off in order to put the gun lock on there...if there is a way to put the gun lock on there with the magazine install them please let me know. Like i said, as we left to the gun range I totally forgot to put the magazine and lock pin back on...I apologize if you felt unsafe...I know at one time or another we are all subject to certain mistakes, some more serious then others. Consequently; that mattered very little because you already had your mind set on what type of people we were. One: An honarably discharged marine maried with 3 children.
Two: A SJSU graduate working in Computer Engineering at Cisco System. Three: A county mechanical machinist for San Jose.
Yet, you are correct none of us are gun expersts and perhaps our lack of tactical atire helped developed your perception of who we are. Or our use of Spanglish, which is simply interchangibly using English and Spanish without due regard for others around us: I do appologize.

In culmination to this post, I felt you were condecending towards us. Which was why my partner gave you a smart question when you positively and accurately called me on my lack of eye wear.

I was excited in going today because I wanted to hear other gun afficionados perspective on all subjects relevant to this forum. Inspite of this less then welcoming situation, I still look forward to going to future events and plan to catch up more knowledge, safety, common sense, and jargon to guareentee my party does not upset anyone.

It was nice talking to the American Indian with trench coat.

Right. Way to pull the race card right off the bat. You have no idea who I am, or my feelings towards hispanics. Did I ever say in my post that there was a bunch of "beaners" (that came from YOU in YOUR post) at the range? Out of 20 guys at the place that I work, I'm one of THREE that is white. The rest are immigrants from Mexico. Do you really think I'd hang around there if I was a racist?

Since when is bump firing OK at Metcalf? There were signs posted EVERYWHERE that says that there is a one shot per THREE second rule. It doesn't matter if it was getting late and you didn't feel like bringing your ammo home. You didn't bother to clean up any of your spent brass either. You guys did appear unsafe to me, and several other people. If it was your "crownies" first time, you should have done a better job keeping an eye on them.

You said "I was aware of the pin on the mag release being unscrewed. I think its stupid that you have a 30round mag on you, and i have a detacheble 10 round magazine release and im brakeing the law "

You clearly DON'T know the law and are confused. 30rd mags ARE NOT ILLEGAL if you owned them prior to the year 2000. Your new in the box STAG with the Prince 50 set screw removed, is ILLEGAL regardless of how many round magazine you have in it. You guys had the setscrew out, and were using that AR just like you were in a free state. Don't play it off like you remove the mag just for transportation purposes. How about this? Next time you feel like putting a lock on it, pop the rear take down pin and open the upper receiver alittle bit. Then put the lock through the bottom of the upper and out of the ejection port. Simple and legal right? Or maybe get a Bullet Button? And maybe you did correct your friend on the mag sale, I didn't hear you say it after I corrected him.

You're right, I was condencending towards you. But leave your petty race issue out of this. And what does you being a Marine with kids and your job have to do with anything?
NRA Member
Old 12-30-2007, 12:07 AM

wow... lets calm things a bit down now guys.
i would settle things via PM from this point on...

back to the original thread...

WHENS THE NEXT BIG MEET?
Old 12-30-2007, 12:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaiofspam View Post
wow... lets calm things a bit down now guys.
i would settle things via PM from this point on...

back to the original thread...

WHENS THE NEXT BIG MEET?
Nothing to settle via PM this is done.
NRA Member
Old 12-30-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
Guys,

For those who are intrested, Solano TargetMasters in Davis has their next match in on the 13th of January more information is at this site - http://www.actionpistol.org/target/target.htm
I know it is a bit of a drive but it is a lot of fun.
"a bit of a drive"... hmm, I was interested in going until I read their directions, which starts with "From Interstate 80 near Davis..."
I thought Richmond was far, this is way out there from the bay area.
Have you tried Richmond Rod and Gun Club's IPSC/IDPA matches?

BTW, you're shooting pretty well. You problem is easily fixable; let the break come as a suprise and shoot slower (learn more per shot, saves ammo $). I used to have the same problem until I realized that I'm not just flinching I'm also closing my eyes... so I had 2 problems vs your 1.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:48 AM
Janitors assistant

OK drop it now or the thread gets locked or removed. You both made your point, move on please.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

WHENS THE NEXT BIG MEET?
I dunno, I was hoping M24armorer would show up with some cool toys

We're gonna have to schedule the next shoot around him
NRA Member
Old 12-30-2007, 1:29 AM

im definitely down for the next one!!!
i will be checking this section of the forum frequently now

sometime in feb would be nice
Old 12-30-2007, 1:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
im definitely down for the next one!!!
i will be checking this section of the forum frequently now

sometime in feb would be nice
Metcalf is a fun place. I need to fix the CNC plasma cutter at work and burn out some cool targets for the steel range. Today's plates that I brought were fun, but not thick enough for good "PINGS!" Shooting steel is much more fun than paper. I need to figure out a way to mount my 1919 onto a wagon like this so I can just pack all of my gear onto it and make ONE trip in, and ONE trip out and just shoot from the wagon while I'm there
NRA Member
Old 12-30-2007, 3:01 AM

Have to say, it was an impressive day at the range yesterday!

Started off as an ordinary day, kind of cold and gloomy, but always better than say Michigan or Minnesota this time of year! ...... then at about 11:00 AM all these vehicles start rolling into the parking lot.......... a whole bunch of them.... I say's to myself.....hmm, what is going on?

Next I hear is "Calguns is here!"

OK, so I am thinking this is going to be interesting. I'm putting on my Range Officer hat and hoping it's going to be a good day.

Met BillCA and Kbyrd off the bat, GOOD GUYS! .....followed by many others like them with the blue name tags as the day went by.

I've been a volunteer range officer, NRA/CA DOJ certified instructor/01FFL for this range for more than 15 years. Got to say this was one of the most safe, friendly, law abiding, conscientious group of fellow sportsmen (and women) I've ever seen, bar none!

Not only did this group have a lot of interesting, historical, truly collectible, hard to find collector-type firearms, but you all used them safely, were VERY conscious and conservative with firearms safety rules, were up to date about CA firearms laws, were fully alert and paid attention (making my job easy), and some of you were actually pretty darned good marksmen! I don't say those words often or lightly.

It was a great day, and the staff and myself enjoyed meeting all of you. You are welcome here at the "Metcalf" range (Santa Clara County Field Sports Park Shooting Range). Myself, and the staff hope you had an enjoyable time and that you will come back soon.

If any of you have questions or comments about the range or it's services, please feel free to email or PM and I will do my best to assist you and to answer your questions.

Best Regards,
Barry, volunteer range safety officer, SCC FSP.

Old 12-30-2007, 7:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
If memory serves it was kbyrd, that showed a little blood on the forehead.
Yup, that was me.

I'm used to mounting a shotgun (even if it's benchrest) a certain way every time. No matter how many times the you told me "don't choke up on that scope", muscle memory took over! I got dinged the first time, your son noticed the small cut (scope hit the bridge of my glasses, my glasses are apparently dangerous). The worst part about it? I couldn't shoot the other 5 slugs without a really bad flinch.

Great, meet guys. Thanks again to all. Ready to do another one. I just gotta find a left handed bolt rifle.
Old 12-30-2007, 8:21 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
It was a great day, and the staff and myself enjoyed meeting all of you. You are welcome here at the "Metcalf" range (Santa Clara County Field Sports Park Shooting Range). Myself, and the staff hope you had an enjoyable time and that you will come back soon.

If any of you have questions or comments about the range or it's services, please feel free to email or PM and I will do my best to assist you and to answer your questions.

Best Regards,
Barry, volunteer range safety officer, SCC FSP.

Thanks! It was my first time at Metcalf and I really enjoyed myself. The steel area was a treat for me, since a lot of ranges around here don't have that kind of thing. Shooting paper gets boring after a while.

Your range was really organized and well-maintained. Your crew does a really good job.

Old 12-30-2007, 8:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatone View Post
Had a good time also. The place was sure packed. Thanks to Bruce for letting me try out that VERY NICE M-14. Puts mine to shame.
Nice meeting the rest of you guys. Till next time.
Yeah, but tell them about shooting my .375H&H single shot.
Old 12-30-2007, 9:11 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Doh! I didn't realize someone had a .375 H&H there. I've always wanted to experience real recoil!

Old 12-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Raven View Post
Yeah, but tell them about shooting my .375H&H single shot.
Yeah, Thanks for letting me try your .375 and what a trip. The recoil and noise were fun for sure. That M14 is what caught my eye. A real beauty. Thanks Bruce!
Old 12-30-2007, 10:36 AM

I was going to go to this.....But I was called into work at the last minute. Sounds like it was a good time.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:53 AM

Too bad I chickened out, sounds like I missed alot of fun.
Was gonna head down to sight in my rig for the 3 gun at Chabot today but it was raining so I figured nobody would show anyway, but guess I was wrong...:P
Next time I'm definetly there!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Does the front sight show up in the scope?

NRA Member
Old 12-30-2007, 11:40 AM

Nope, I wasn't looking at 1X, but when magnified, the FSB isn't there. Some people on ARF.com say that even if they do see the FSB at 1X, its blurry and unintrusive.

Ordered a Larue SPR Lt-104 (1.5) for it too. Mount and scope should come in on Friday. Midway USA has the DMS-1 for $200 right now on sale.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

On mine with a 2x7 VX-II compact the front sight is there but blurry and you don't really notice it. I have a BM Dissy upper so the front sight is at rifle distance.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Raven View Post
On mine with a 2x7 VX-II compact the front sight is there but blurry and you don't really notice it. I have a BM Dissy upper so the front sight is at rifle distance.
Cool. I just ordered a 20" upper and am debating putting glass ontop or sticking with irons. Does the front sight get less in the way as you zoom in?
NRA Member
Old 12-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Is that the Bushy DCM upper? Get some NM sights for it. I need a High Power buddy.