Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 07-12-2014, 5:36 PM

IWB @ 3:30
or
Pocket holster
Unfortunately, NOT carrying in CA since I don't have a permit for this state yet.
Thomas Jefferson, in a 1787 letter to William Stephens Smith, wrote, "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

Old 07-12-2014, 8:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Glock 26, IWB at basically 12 o clock slide is just to the right of my jeans button. Carry in a bravo concealment DOS holster and a SOE gear edc belt or the 1.5" cobra duty belt if I want to carry the glock 20 w/ surefire x300 ultra, in a bravo concealment OWB at 4 o clock. 99% of the time its the g26. Carried the g20 3 times this year. Most folks need small guns more often than big guns.
Old 07-12-2014, 9:39 PM

4506 in a shoulder rig over a t-shirt.. under a XX Hawaiian Shirt buttoned only at the 3rd button from the top... with two 8 rnd mags on the other side for balance!

Yes... and this! http://www.constitution.org/2ll/2ndschol/87senrpt.pdf

Good Guys with Guns HERE

Last edited by Mithrandir13; 07-13-2014 at 4:25 PM..
Old 07-17-2014, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyrock View Post
I just bought a Sticky holster for my G26. It should arrive tomorrow. Would have gone with the Remora but the Sticky was available on amazon with free 2 day shipping so I can have it for my training this weekend. Let you know how it works.
So how did training go. Did they let you use the Sticky Holster?
Old 07-17-2014, 12:46 AM

Glock 17 in a Gcode OWB holster. I wear untucked tshirts so I conceal, but I dont care about printing.

My thought is that if I need to draw FAST, OWB is gonna be the fastest way out of the holster. From a shot timer, I can clear my shirt, draw and fire in less than 1.5 seconds.

I am always working to do it faster.
Old 07-17-2014, 6:55 AM

Now that I've got to the LiveScan stage I've begun to wear around the house to get used to it and break the holsters in. Last night I wore a Galco Kingtuk IWB at 3 o-clock with my Glock 19.

My next rig is a CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe IWB at 3 o-clock for the Shield 9mm. Haven't really worn this much yet, but will probably begin wearing it next week.

Finally I've got a Remora 3B series for IWB or pocket carry for the Glock 42. I tried it once for about 5 minutes at 3 o-clock IWB and it seemed to hold everything in place well. I will probably end up going pocket carry for the G42 though.

Has anyone found a comfortable IWB position when driving? I'm not keen on having to holster and unholster every time.
Old 07-17-2014, 7:50 AM

3 o-clock works just fine.
Thomas Jefferson, in a 1787 letter to William Stephens Smith, wrote, "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

Old 07-19-2014, 6:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

4:30 IWB full size 1911 Wilson CQB. I wear jeans or shorts and T shirts. NO problem in car sitting or sitting in general. No printing at all. I have been sitting on my couch working for a few hours and it has not bothered me at all. 5+ hours driving no problem at all, though when driving I have always used a lumbar roll in the sit and I slide it to the side of my pistol just to the left and it makes them both about the same depth and it all just blends together. Im driving to Oregon next week and will see how 5-8 hours feels. I dont think it will be an issue, I also dont like to unholster and drive.

Last edited by krpduner; 07-19-2014 at 6:08 PM..
Old 07-19-2014, 8:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krpduner View Post
4:30 IWB full size 1911 Wilson CQB. I wear jeans or shorts and T shirts. NO problem in car sitting or sitting in general. No printing at all. I have been sitting on my couch working for a few hours and it has not bothered me at all. 5+ hours driving no problem at all, though when driving I have always used a lumbar roll in the sit and I slide it to the side of my pistol just to the left and it makes them both about the same depth and it all just blends together. Im driving to Oregon next week and will see how 5-8 hours feels. I dont think it will be an issue, I also dont like to unholster and drive.
Mind if I ask your height & weight? Are you a fit or muscular dude or are you a little soft in the center like most of us? Seems that part in particular adds to the comfort of iwb carry; if your muscles are already carrying your frame properly, the gun tends to wear better.
Old 07-19-2014, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

My every day carry depends if I'm wearing a coat or not and is either

Full size Smith 410 40 cal or M&P 40c

both IWB 4:00

On hot summer days when I'm casual and need something smaller.

Kahr PM40 Pocket carry (pocket holster), waste band holster, holster shirt or sticky holster depending on what I'm wearing.

Usually I'll also carry the PM40 as my bug- either pocket or sometimes ankle

Wife on the other hand goes totally different.

Her preferred carry method is her Kahr PM9 in a Flashbang. Depending on what she's wearing she will sometimes wear it IWB 4:00, purse, fanny pack, day planner, thigh or corset. Seems she has as many different carry options as she has shoes.

When she carries the M&P40c its either IWB 4:00 or purse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 07-20-2014, 9:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyrock View Post
Mind if I ask your height & weight? Are you a fit or muscular dude or are you a little soft in the center like most of us? Seems that part in particular adds to the comfort of iwb carry; if your muscles are already carrying your frame properly, the gun tends to wear better.
No problem, 6-1 195 fairly fit. I have zero problems in car, I may need to adjust my sitting position a bit sometimes but its all good.
Old 07-20-2014, 7:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir13 View Post
4506 in a shoulder rig over a t-shirt.. under a XX Hawaiian Shirt buttoned only at the 3rd button from the top... with two 8 rnd mags on the other side for balance!

Can't tell if joking or serious....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-20-2014, 7:52 PM

LCP loose in my right front shorts pocket the rare times I bother to carry. My year round attire is pretty much tshirt, cargo shorts, and flip flops. No crime here so not really worried.

Private 10 acre range rentals
[/URL]
Old 07-20-2014, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout_fear_me View Post
Now that I've got to the LiveScan stage I've begun to wear around the house to get used to it and break the holsters in. Last night I wore a Galco Kingtuk IWB at 3 o-clock with my Glock 19.

My next rig is a CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe IWB at 3 o-clock for the Shield 9mm. Haven't really worn this much yet, but will probably begin wearing it next week.

Finally I've got a Remora 3B series for IWB or pocket carry for the Glock 42. I tried it once for about 5 minutes at 3 o-clock IWB and it seemed to hold everything in place well. I will probably end up going pocket carry for the G42 though.

Has anyone found a comfortable IWB position when driving? I'm not keen on having to holster and unholster every time.
Will depend on your car seats. My full size M&P .40 in either my Sticky Holster or Aliengear holster feels fine in my SUV or Sedan, (not the first time of course) and is ok in my Corvette which has had racing seats installed (I complete in SCCA events). The trick with the Aliengear is to cant the pistol forward a little. I had to adapt from where I was used to on a standing draw but like it well enough now. I can still draw from seated but it's not a speed draw, you still have the bolster and seat belt to deal with.
Old 07-21-2014, 7:56 AM

I carry IWB since April. I carry everyday with the Little fox, i wear it at about 4-5 o'clock with my M&P compact 9mm. I'm in love with this holster! I forget its there most of the time. I just need to adjust my wardrobe a bit. Some pants/ shorts fit better than others. I rarely wear two shirts (T plus over shirt) and i never tuck in. Some shirts work better than others, again, i just need to finish updating the wardrobe.
Old 07-21-2014, 1:05 PM

My favorite setup is a Shield in a Remora. The Remora is very versatile and comfortable, and stays where you put it. You can wear it just about wherever you want: 3:00, appendix, sob with cant/no-cant. I usually wear it strong-side 3:00, or cross-draw at 9:30 if I'm going to be driving much. My alternate is a MDJ hybrid for the Shield that conceals well, but is much harder to get on and not as comfortable. I also have a J-frame and a Simply Rugged pancake that has removable belt loops for iwb. That setup has a more bulky profile and is not as comfortable, but does work at 2:00 or 4:00 with the steel revolver. Finally, its a P99 in a Haugen speed scabbard, for when I can wear an over-garment and desire more firepower. The Haugen is thinner, lighter and more pliable and more nicely finished than the Simply Rugged, but cost more as well.

Last edited by AtomicOrange; 07-21-2014 at 1:06 PM.. Reason: editorial
Old 07-21-2014, 8:26 PM

carry a 40 shield at 2:00 in a aliengear
Old 07-21-2014, 10:17 PM

Sig p238 in pocket or owb at 3:00 in leather holster.
M&p9c IWB at 3:00 in a Galco king tuk.

Here are a few pics of the leather p238 holster I made.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1406009746.308460.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1406009775.261036.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1406009810.722764.jpg

Last edited by spiritwalker; 07-21-2014 at 10:54 PM..
Old 07-23-2014, 1:48 PM

I'm seriously looking at this holster
http://www.stealthgearusa.com/pages/sgusa-products
It's very simular to numerous other brands, but should be alot better in hot weather.
Any thoughts?
Old 07-23-2014, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pofoo View Post
I'm seriously looking at this holster
http://www.stealthgearusa.com/pages/sgusa-products
It's very simular to numerous other brands, but should be alot better in hot weather.
Any thoughts?
From appearances it looks like a good choice. Conceptually it's the same as most inside the waistband holsters. The issue will be adjustability. There is less apparent adjustability built into the holster shown than say a Crossbreed or an Aliengear. The breathable fabric is likely to be comfortable in hot temps, and may breath better, but there is no guarantee and your pants and shirt will have a lot to say about that. The ability to locate the clips up and down determine the rake of the gun, and impacts comfort. It is worth reading the reviews, to see if the kydex requires you to make any kind of adjustments or has issue on the draw. Some of the holsters I looked at people said they loved and then went on about all they had to do to make it work right. The real world is your going to own more than one holster. Every holster takes practice to draw well, and all require a breaking in period, I don't care what the brand is. I think you need at least 100 presentations from your holster (dry fire is fine) before you consider wearing it for real.
Old 07-24-2014, 8:28 AM

I wonder if sweating is even a issue with this kind of holster. In my case, it wouldn't be worn while doing physical labor, typically at home. It would be used mostly while out socialializing, traveling, shopping, etc. I avoid hot places. Maybe hikeing once in a while.

Anyone with this type of holster with the leather backing--is sweating a problem?
Old 07-24-2014, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post
Here are a few pics of the leather p238 holster I made.
Nice work!

Old 07-24-2014, 3:27 PM
Veteran Member

IWB holster in the 4 o'clock, spare mag usually in my support-side back pocket (I occasionally carry a mag pouch depending on if clothing permits)

In the fall/winter I sometimes carry in an OWB with a jacket on.

I've been trying out bag carry this summer in a 5.11 MOAB 6 EDC bag. It's okay. Definitely not much freedom of movement and definitely slower in terms of presentation. It does cut down on heat in the valley though which is a big plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.