Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 08-08-2011, 3:15 AM

Man, this thread makes me want to know who carried my Colt 1917
Old 08-11-2011, 12:00 AM

This thread has been absolutely amazing. One of my friends recommended that I read this thread. Thank you to everyone who contributed, and lets keep history like this alive.

Direct Action Solutions
Solana Beach, CA
http://www.directactionsolutions.net/
Old 09-02-2011, 8:01 PM

I started reading this before dinner and now its 9pm. Amazing, I hope there is more information to come.
Old 09-05-2011, 9:44 AM
Banned

Holiday bump.

Thank you again to Mr Davidwhitewolf for this marvelous thread :-)
Old 09-06-2011, 3:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Want to Shoot Orville Bierkle's Revolver? Reno Sep 9-10

Hi everybody,

Thanks again for all your comments. I'm going to be attending the sixth annual Gunbloggers' Rendezvous in Reno, Nevada on September 9th - 11th. The Rondy, as it's affectionately called, is open to everyone, not just gunbloggers.

On Friday, September 9th and Saturday, September 10th, we will be at the Pyramid Range (Friday will be at the public covered range area; Saturday will be steel shooting in the Western Nevada Pistol League bays; directions in the link).

My wife and I will be shooting our Glocks, but I will have Sgt. Bierkle's revolver along and anyone who can demonstrate knowledge of the Four Rules and wishes to shoot the revolver is welcome to do so. (I may try the revolver on a steel stage or two.)

Friday afternoon from 4:00 - 6:00 or so (schedules have been notoriously lax at prior Rendezvous') I'll have Sgt. Bierkle's revolver in the Hospitality Room for Show-N-Tell, and folks will have the opportunity to handle it if they wish.

Sorry for the late notice, my own schedule only firmed up last week. The Rondy's really a great time, with lots of guns and gear as prizes in the raffle benefit for Project Valour-IT, and some great guests to boot. I hope folks who might want to shoot the Sgt.'s revolver can come on up and participate!

--David

Honorary Board Member, the California Gun Rights Foundation
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
Yes I'm an attorney. No, this post does not contain legal advice or opinion.
Old 09-09-2011, 9:21 AM

I just read this whole thread and it made my week. This should be required reading for every new member of CalGuns.
Old 09-09-2011, 9:50 AM

Mr. Bierkle really was a good man. It's good to know his legacy is genuinely honored. Semper Fidelis.
Old 09-19-2011, 2:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidwhitewolf View Post
Hi everybody,

Thanks again for all your comments. I'm going to be attending the sixth annual Gunbloggers' Rendezvous in Reno, Nevada on September 9th - 11th. The Rondy, as it's affectionately called, is open to everyone, not just gunbloggers.
...--David
So how did it go? Any good stories from that weekend?

I've been completely slammed with too much stuff to do the past couple of weeks. This is the first time I've had to check in. Please let us know about any cool updates ;-)
Old 11-03-2011, 11:21 PM

just stumbled across this thread as i don't frequent the c&r section much...

absolutely amazing. thank you Ruth, for being willing to share some great info about the kind of hero your father was... thanks david for being exactly the kind of person one ought to be in this situation. and most of all, thanks to SGT. Bierkle, for your service. I am incredibly proud to live under the same flag.

a salute from me to a passed veteran. semper fi.
Old 11-04-2011, 3:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson-candy View Post

Smith & Wesson (NASDAQ: SWHC) (S&W) is the largest manufacturer of handguns in the United States. The corporate headquarters is in Springfield, Massachusetts. Founded in 1852, Smith & Wesson's pistols and revolvers have become standard issue to police and armed forces throughout the world. They are also used by sport shooters and have been featured in numerous Hollywood movies, particularly Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry. Smith & Wesson has been known for the many types of ammunition it has introduced over the years, and many cartridges bear the company's name.
Did you even bother reading this epic thread before you posted that?
Old 11-04-2011, 8:05 AM

this thread validates Calguns.

forever.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:23 PM
marinecorps_1775

Hell as a Marine, I'd like to buy the weapon!
Old 11-10-2011, 2:36 AM

well this thread was the best 3 hours of my week. when i saw the journal i was like, there is no way im going to read this... now im on page 4 lol. i can honestly say this thread caused ash from my cigarette to magically float into my eye. i need to go...

David - i wish more people in the bay area were more like you. my buddy throws around a 1897 lemon squeezer used in 2 murders in the early 1900's (i dont remember the details) like its a paperweight... he broke the grip off and there was what looked like dried blood on the inside face of the grip... im suprized his house isnt being haunted yet... not kidding you about this story either.
Old 11-11-2011, 9:08 AM

On this Veterans' Day, a profound Thank You to all who served from one who did not, and who treasures their sacrifice and service all the more for it.

What Orville Bierkle, USMC, was doing 61 years ago this week (showcasing his impeccable grammar and dry wit

"FRIDAY, 10 NOVEMBER: Today is the Marine Corps' 175th birthday. To celebrate, the whole company went out on a combat patrol about 0900."

And of course, there's the everpresent cold:

"SATURDAY, 11 NOVEMBER: ...we suffered our first frostbite casualty; the gunny froze his feet and had to be sent back."

Thank You Sergeant Bierkle! Because of you and your Chosin Few brethren, a South Korean may read this thread today.

Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
Old 11-11-2011, 9:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hear, Hear!!!

Thank you to all who have served on this Veteran's Day 11/11/2011!!

And thanks again to you Davidwhitewolf, Ruth, and of course Sergeant Bierkle, for this thread.
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.
Old 11-26-2011, 6:13 PM

If any of you own a kindle, the Journal PDF file fits nicely if you rotate the screen sideways
"... You feel the anger thinking of the loved ones you will never see again, and losing your life infuriates your soul. You rage to get to your feet and grab for a weapon, any weapon. Regardless of your race, culture, or religion, you want to die standing, fighting like a warrior, an American, so others won't have to. For those looking for a definition, this is the price of freedom.”

------
SGT Thomas Macpherson KIA 12 OCT 2012
SFC Ryan Savard KIA 13 OCT 2012
"Sine Pari"
Old 12-22-2011, 6:15 PM

Thank God for your father and all the brave men and women like him Ruth, I hope that you have received many blessings from this thread

I believe that Gods timing is perfect and the way this worked itself out is absolutely amazing. this needs to be stickied some place other than just the curio and relics section. I cried like a blubbering idiot reading this thread. Mods, many more people on this site need to take this history in. Would you please move it to other forums for the whole community to read. If you are a man and this does not make you cry, I would say that you would have to give up your man card.

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 01-10-2012, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a 1917 with a story... barrel ran over by a tank and has been smithed shorter to work... Nice old revolver... It is engraved with a Lt. name.. I need to read it a lil closer..
Old 02-01-2012, 9:44 PM

An awsome thread. . .I would contribute to an effort to get the 1917 into the hands of a willing representitive of the Bierkle family. Dependent of course upon davidwhitewolf and a willing representive of the Bierkle family. I also respect the Bierkle family's right to decline. I wonder if there are any current marines in this American family?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:32 AM

I have always wondered what kind of stories my military arms could tell. The subject fascinates me. I was very gratified to see that not only was the OP able to find out about the revolver he has come into possession of and the original owner, he was able to communicate with the original owners family as well. Funny how things sometimes work out. I am glad Sgt Bierkle's memory lives on here in this thread and in the hearts of those who read it.

Last edited by MarcM; 02-06-2012 at 10:35 AM..
Old 02-15-2012, 10:53 AM

God Bless Orville A. Bierkle! What an honor to have his memory. The Forgotten War is now remembered.

I will be sharing this for as long as live. God Bless your family Ruth. No... that's not smoke in my eye. I am simply tearing up.

http://MichaelRobertsHomes.com/
Old 03-12-2012, 4:02 PM

Default WOW

I'm not a collector by any means, and I just joined this site but this is absolutely incomprehensibly amazing. Looks like I will be reading more curio and relics threads!!
Old 03-12-2012, 4:56 PM
Veteran Member

I just read this entire thread.... WOW! It's truly an amazing read!

Thank you to the OP, to Ruth and to Orville A. Bierkle for sharing this awesome bit of history!
Old 03-12-2012, 6:25 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know how I never saw this thread before, right now I can't even remember how I got to it today, but this has got the be the most amazing story I've ever read. I think everyone wonders from time to time about the history of service weapons they've acquired, but to see such a profound history, stories from a child/grandchild and pictures etc.. there's really nothing better. Thank God for good men like your father and grandfather who have helped give us the freedoms we have today, and thank you for posting Ruth - hope there's more to come.
Old 03-13-2012, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

When I saw this thread I told myself I would not read the whole thing (8 pages after all) but here I am 1 1/2 hours later finishing up.

Absolutely amazing.

I will e-mail this to all the marines I know.

God Bless Orville A. Bierkle!

Quote:
If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.
Col. Jeff Cooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN compnerd View Post
It's the flu for crying out loud, just stop.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:11 AM

This is a great thread!

I was at Boomershoot in Idaho this past weekend and met some great Marines; one giving instruction to a pair of new shooters next to my position was very good and knowledgeable about long range shooting in shifty winds and spoke Korean, naturally.

http://www.boomershoot.org/2012/blast.htm

The blast of fuel air 'BOOOOOOOM' that started this years event from about 25 yards away was initiated with a suppressed AR15, but this 1917 revolver would have been awesome as a starting gun. They also shot an anvil into the air, twice, shot golf balls a long way (I did not see how far they went) from a ground mortars and launched two bowling balls (about 400 feet up and 800 feet downrange) from two mortars.

It was awesome!

Oh, yea, and I got about two dozen boomers over the weekend, some them from 650 to 700 yards! My son got well over a dozen boomers and really enjoyed his first Boomershoot!

I was shooting a custom long action AR with a 24 inch barrel in 260 Remington at the 375 yard targets and a Savage 12F with a 30 inch barrel in 6.5x284 Norma at the longer targets out to 700 yards, some were 3 inches square with about a 2x2 sweet spot in the lower center portion of the box where the binary explosive power had settled. Hitting the 8 inch targets at 650 yards was like shooting 'fish in a barrel'.

You can hear and feel every boom; it was spectacular!

http://boomershoot.org/2012/newsrelease.htm

Old 05-25-2012, 2:54 PM

ArticleTheFourth,

I wonder if we met at Boomershoot 2012; I was shooting at the far end of the line at the top of the hill under our traditional Random Nuclear Strikes blog three-position canopy, with sofa, gas grill, comfy chairs and the other comforts of home that we usually bring. (Thick steaks from Costco, primarily: the cuts of meat available in rural Idaho are surprisingly thin.)

As for our plans to have Sgt. Bierkle's revolver set off a fireball in 2013, see here. I'm quite excited.

To whet everyone's whistle, here's some slo-mo of this year's fireball.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

This is simply a fantastic story. I'm truly grateful to have gotten to know a little about Sgt. Bierkle, his daughter Ruth and you David. I hope to have the pleasure of shaking your hand someday.

Tagged, and I'll be passing this link around to friends and family.
Old 06-04-2012, 2:30 PM

Default A humble thank you.

Quote:
Thank You Sergeant Bierkle! Because of you and your Chosin Few brethren, a South Korean may read this thread today.
I stumbled across this thread thanks to a friend posting the link on LXForums.com.

The quote above compelled me to register.

My father served in the Army and was stationed in South Korea where he met my beautiful mother. My existence as a (South!)Korean/American was made possible thanks to the courage/sacrifices made by men such as Sergeant Bierkle.

I am a product of the freedoms you defended! To you and all your brothers-in-arms, a thousand thank yous.
Old 06-11-2012, 6:52 PM
Veteran Member

Hi guys. I just ran across something I thought you might find interesting if you didn't already know about it.

I just joined the Garand Collectors Association and received my first Journal (Volume 26 Issue 3 Summer 2012). On page 3 is an article titled "Interviewing Hector Cafferata, MOH" by Bob Seijas. They're interviewing Mr. Cafferata for a documentary currently in production by the GCA concerning the Chosin Reservoir.

I felt compelled to mention that here. I have no idea how or if... but I wonder if Sergeant Bierkle's story might find its way into this documentary...

http://www.thegca.org/
Old 07-20-2012, 2:32 PM

thank you for this post, this is and will be one of my favorite reads about military history being traced back to the actual people.
outstanding.

GOD BLESS THE MARINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

This thread is magnificent. Got goosebumps just thinking about how all the stars had to align for the OP to inquire about the owner of his gun and his daughter seemed to magically find out about the OP's inquiry. All the wonderful comments, offers to help bring the revolver back to SGT Bierkle's family, along with the OP's offer to give it back, no questions asked or compensation sought made for a touching, inspiring and yes - tear-jerking read.

This is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read, period.
Old 09-15-2012, 5:55 AM

This thread exemplifies why I own C&R ex-military guns. I have no clue what the history of any of them are, but the fact that there's a slight chance 1 of them have a story like Sgt. Bierkle's 1917 and that I mite be shooting a gun that saved a US serviceman's life while he was working on saving my Country is enough for me.

I believe the USMC museum would be a fine permanent home for the gun. It's not an important or unusually impressive firearm, but it has a very important and impressive story, a story about a Marine family. His fellow Marines are more likely to be at the USMC museum than the National Firearms museum, they deserve a chance to read Sgt. Bierkle's story when they visit the museum.
Old 09-18-2012, 9:00 PM

Most Amazing thread ever
Old 10-05-2012, 3:48 PM

In 1815, John Adams gave advice to his grandsons, then leaving for London to be with their parents John Quincy and Louisa Catherine Adams.

Adams insisted that they must keep diaries. Without a diary, their travels would "be no better than a flight of birds through the air," leaving no trace.
Old 11-07-2012, 7:23 PM

Mofoninja, thank you for your post. The Korean-Americans (and their children and grandchildren) I have met have always impressed me with the tremendous depth of their appreciation for the American sacrifices in the Korean War -- far more so than the average American. You seem to be no exception.

BigJ, the I believe the article you mention is now available online here: http://www.montvillenj.org/docs/GCAJournalCafferata.pdf

There's also a writeup in the Monteville, New Jersey Township's website.

I don't see mention of the documentary BigJ noted, but will investigate further. Nevertheless, this is a very inspiring article.

ilikerugers -- indeed!

I should note that today, November 7th, 2012, the remains of a fallen Chosin Marine, Corporal Elmer Kidd, were finally returned to his home in New York. R.I.P.

Quote:
The 80-year-old sister of Cpl. Elmer Kidd welcomed her brother's flag-draped casket at Hancock Airport in Syracuse on Tuesday.

Kidd was 26 when he died in the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir in North Korea. His remains were among those in 208 boxes turned over to the U.S. by North Korea in 1993 but they were only recently identified through DNA tests.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
BigJ, the I believe the article you mention is now available online here: http://www.montvillenj.org/docs/GCAJournalCafferata.pdf

There's also a writeup in the Monteville, New Jersey Township's website.

I don't see mention of the documentary BigJ noted, but will investigate further. Nevertheless, this is a very inspiring article.
Thank you for the link David!

Here's a link to the CMP that references the (apparently forthcoming) documentary: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=86842. It seems the documentary will focus on the Garand, and highlight important moments of history that involve it.
Old 11-11-2012, 3:27 AM
Banned

Veteran's Day Bump!

Hoorah for the best thread ever!

Old 11-11-2012, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
Veteran's Day Bump!

Hoorah for the best thread ever!

I'll second that!
My Facebook
Contact me for Home Computer virus removal, optimization, and networking(Sacramento Area)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
It's like a little japanese chick with big fake boobies - I'm sure it's more fun, but there is just something wrong about it?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTokarev View Post
I just threw up a little bit.

Can you charge more for "tactical ninja stripes"?
Old 11-11-2012, 7:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thank you once again Davidwhitewolf for the thread, and a bigger thank you to Sgt. Bierkle and to all veterans for your service, on this Veteran's Day (and every day)!
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.