Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 01-28-2018, 6:20 PM

Default DOJ inaccurate categorizing preventing transfer?

I apologize if this is in the wrong place and admins please feel free to move this where need be.

Went to do a transfer of a Norinco SKS today. The transfer was stopped near instantly sighting the rifle as an assault weapon. This particular firearm has none of the prohibited features nor is it listed by name on the AW ban list. It doesn't have a removable mag either. Has anyone had any experience with this? Does anyone know what gives and what needs to go onto the DROS form to correct the issue? It was legally transferred a few years ago without issue. I called 2 different turners and got 2 different answers from them. One said they could do it by putting the make as "China" while the other said they wouldn't touch it. The only "China" option is to list as "China prior to division in 1949". Rifle gear had the same response of utilizing that to continue the transfer. Anyone with a pro tip for this?

What it seems like is that the DOJ listed all Norinco's as banned which isn't the case. Thoughts?
Old 01-28-2018, 9:00 PM

I'd suggest you post this in the FFL dealers forum, since it is most likely an issue with an inexperienced employee doing the PPT. (I've had a good experience the one time I bought something at Turner's, but the guys working there are usually pretty inexperienced.)

You may want to consider going to a non-chain FFL, if you run into the same problem, suggest that they put the make as "China" and then in the notes say something like, "Model: Type 56 SKS Made in China by Norinco."
Old 01-28-2018, 10:48 PM

if the model "sks" is used, an error relating to "assault weapon" is kicked.

Dealer should be advised to enter "SKS FIXED" in model field
Old 01-29-2018, 8:58 AM
Veteran Member

I can only add one thing here.

DO NOT ASK " TURNERS" FOR ANY ADVICE.

Because, they are dumber than the door knob and will mess up everything. No kidding here.