Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-20-2013, 7:39 AM

Default Question for San Diego reloaders

I'm going to start reloading and ran across and add for a beginner reloading class in El Cajon at a place called LMC Ammo. It's $75 for 3 hrs of hands on instruction. Is this a good place to learn the basics?
Old 03-20-2013, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairtumor View Post
don't have the equipment yet (thanks for the offer). I'm hopping a class will help me decide what equipment I'll want. Right now I'm just trying to find someplace that has some in stock that's not on backorder for 2 months.
Midway has lee single stage in stock:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/176...le-stage-press
Old 03-20-2013, 9:17 AM

I'll second the lee single stage. Great bang for your buck and if you dont care for reloading, they are easy to sell.
Old 03-20-2013, 9:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Before I make any recommendations what is your goal for reloading?

I started with a dillon 650 and never looked back. However my goal was to load 1000 rounds a month.

If you are only intending on loading a couple hundred a year a single stage is the most cost effective.

A couple hundred a week you will want a progressive.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbin Dallas View Post
Before I make any recommendations what is your goal for reloading?

I started with a dillon 650 and never looked back. However my goal was to load 1000 rounds a month.

If you are only intending on loading a couple hundred a year a single stage is the most cost effective.

A couple hundred a week you will want a progressive.
I have a wife that doesn't like guns, sooooo, I'm down to 9mm. All I will be reloading for a while is 9mm. Plan on shooting at the local range once or twice a week.
Old 03-20-2013, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemoose23 View Post
Midway has lee single stage in stock:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/176...le-stage-press
Looks promising. So I'll need dies, scale, what all do I need with a single stage?
Old 03-20-2013, 2:51 PM

I second giving you a hand, put the $75 towards your equipment... you'll need it.

Choosing equip? Many threads on it, go with what fits your budget - and then some. I don't load enough to justify my new progressive but I used a friends and was sold, with a progressive you don't have to use every feature, but you have the capability. To me, thats $$ in the bank.

I've learned to appreciate the Loadmaster books for load data. I don't need $150 in books to tell me which is the pointy end or load data for some obtuse round, you can find that online.

Starting loading in these times, bust out a box box of patience, know a reasonable price and stick to it.

Last edited by sdkevin; 03-20-2013 at 2:54 PM..
Old 03-20-2013, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairtumor View Post
Looks promising. So I'll need dies, scale, what all do I need with a single stage?
For 9mm? A reloading manual, dies, scale, powder measure, hand priming tool and a dial/digital caliper should be enough to get you started.
Old 03-20-2013, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNOS67 View Post
For 9mm? A reloading manual, dies, scale, powder measure, hand priming tool and a dial/digital caliper should be enough to get you started.
thanks guys, this is some great info. For those that offered to help that would be great when I get my equipment. Many Thanks.
Old 03-20-2013, 5:22 PM

I'll be building some 223 next week but you may not like driving to south bay for a show and tell, if you would, just let me know.
Old 03-20-2013, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkevin View Post
I'll be building some 223 next week but you may not like driving to south bay for a show and tell, if you would, just let me know.
I would love to but I work Monday thru Friday.
Old 03-20-2013, 6:31 PM

ok I will will be the villian here...

If all your down to is 9mm, why bother? Your wife doesn't like guns and she probably made you sell your other guns which is why you only have 9mm. Now your going to spend (her) money on reloading equipment and spend time away from her while learning and reloading? This won't end well, I have seen it before with fishing, hunting and other "man" hobbies. Besides, loading for 9mm will barely break you even vs. buying bulk ammo. With the current (non)availablility of components it will get real discouraging real fast.

If anything buy 9mm in bulk, shoot it and train. Save all the brass you can. In the mean time prices will be falling and ammo availability will be back on the market. During this time be nice to the wifey and go to the range together. Shoot together. Reloading is addicting and you will soon want to reload different calibers which means more new guns and more reloading!!
Old 03-20-2013, 7:13 PM

The solution is get her into shooting... good luck with that... As for advice on reloading 9mm buy carbide dies. They are more expensive but you wont need to lube the cases
Old 03-20-2013, 8:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline Shooter View Post
ok I will will be the villian here...

If all your down to is 9mm, why bother? Your wife doesn't like guns and she probably made you sell your other guns which is why you only have 9mm. Now your going to spend (her) money on reloading equipment and spend time away from her while learning and reloading? This won't end well, I have seen it before with fishing, hunting and other "man" hobbies. Besides, loading for 9mm will barely break you even vs. buying bulk ammo. With the current (non)availablility of components it will get real discouraging real fast.

If anything buy 9mm in bulk, shoot it and train. Save all the brass you can. In the mean time prices will be falling and ammo availability will be back on the market. During this time be nice to the wifey and go to the range together. Shoot together. Reloading is addicting and you will soon want to reload different calibers which means more new guns and more reloading!!
Not sure how much factory 9mm costs but I reload it for under 5$ per 50 rounds. And that's with plated bullets. With cast it drops to like $2 per 50 rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solus View Post
The solution is get her into shooting... good luck with that... As for advice on reloading 9mm buy carbide dies. They are more expensive but you wont need to lube the cases
Do they even still sell non carbide sizing dies in 9mm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 03-20-2013, 8:51 PM

found a Lee Deluxe Turret press at Cabelas, in stock for $149. Now I need to find some carbine dies and a few odds and ends and I'm set.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-D...RI%3BIK-215922

also just found a Lee 4 die carbine set for $61, a little pricy but free shipping

http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-1m-gt-90963.html

Could someone please look at the Lee kit and tell me what else I need to get started, thanks for all the advice and help.

Last edited by hairtumor; 03-21-2013 at 6:52 AM..
Old 03-20-2013, 9:11 PM

I really like my Rock Chucker. Cabelas often has the kit for $300 and they had it at $275ish late last year. Fifty dollar rebate or 500 free bullets if you spend $300 on RCBS gear. Worth a look... http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...AL%3BIK-214924
Old 03-21-2013, 7:45 AM

Titan has kick butt prices..

http://www.titanreloading.com/kits