Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-10-2012, 10:26 AM

Default Remington 597

Hey guys,

Im picking up my 597 this weekend.. dang (10days).

I was curious as I couldnt form a definitive answer on the magazine limit, I keep reading 10 is max but If I already had some extended mags wouldnt that be legal? As far as I can tell there is no law limiting me from owning or using these. Which leads me to my next question. If I wanted to compete in some 2-3 gun or run and gun etc am I limited to mag size?

Thanks again -Steve
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromhome63 View Post
Hey guys,

I was curious as I couldnt form a definitive answer on the magazine limit, I keep reading 10 is max but If I already had some extended mags wouldnt that be legal? As far as I can tell there is no law limiting me from owning or using these. Which leads me to my next question. If I wanted to compete in some 2-3 gun or run and gun etc am I limited to mag size?

Thanks again -Steve
My understanding is that if you owned the extended mags before the ban then you are legal to own and use. I am sure that others with more knowledge will chime in soon.
Old 12-10-2012, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromhome63 View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks again -Steve

farfromhome63,

The law of the land is 10 rounds per magazine. For your rifle there were no extended mags available for the 597. I heard rumors there are after market mags for sale now but in California you can't own them. Personally I never seen any either. If you want to compete using the 597 then I don't know what the rules are.

Mail Clerk
Old 12-10-2012, 5:13 PM
Calguns Addict

The magazine limit law is not part of the AWB it is a separate section of law.

In the AWB certain rifles are limited to 10 rounds by definition such as a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine.
The AWB does not pertain to rimfire rifles so by definition they are not limited to 10 rounds by configuration. So if you legally posses a large capacity magazine then nothing is stopping you from using it in a rimfire rifle.
But that does not negate the fact that CA has a separate magazine limit law. This law controls when and how you could legally acquire large capacity magazines.

Note there is no exemption for rimfires to this law.
Notice (25)(B) Says .22 caliber not .22LR or rimfire or anything else like that, anyways its talking about tube magazines like the Marlin 60...

There are exemptions though, they are listed in subsection (25)

Quote:

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:

[...]

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.

[...]

(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.
While there are 30 round magazines available for this rifle now, such as these:
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/5972230smmag.html

None where available before 2000... (I think)
If you have one mailed or bring one into the state (assembled) you are guilty of importing.
If you make one from a rebuild kit and not rebuild a magazine that you legally owned before 2000 (ending up with more large capacity magazines as you started with) then you are guilty of manufacturing.

See also:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=387409

BTW You should know that since the begining the Remington 597 has been plagued with magazine issues. It is said that it is corrected in there newest magazine design though. So these large capacity magazines probably don't even function that well. So don't feel like you are missing out.

Last edited by Chaos47; 12-10-2012 at 5:25 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 3:44 PM

Guess Ill be purchasing a bunch of 10 round factory mags then.. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 12-11-2012, 6:17 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Magazine issue aside, in my opinion they are very under rated rifles...

Old 12-26-2012, 11:01 PM

I made the mistake of taking my mags apart to clean inside, and doing so I messed up the tabs on the plastic floorplate, causing failures to feed. The cartridges would bind and remain where they were as if the previous bullet was still ontop, ready to be chambered. Another stupid mistake was not throwing the magazines away. Only occasionally would I have a FTF, but enough of them lead to a dent in the breech face. (sorry no quality pics) I've read on Rimfire Central that a S&W .22 handgun mag. spring, cut in half, has more tension and can improve feeding. I haven't tried this in my faulty magazines. One of three new factory mags also had similar feeding problems. A major contributer is probably ammo, I've had no FTF's with the clean Wolf LRN ammo, the waxy federal bulk could be the biggest issue. Otherwise, no other function problems. I need to solidly bench it and see if the dent in the breech face has ruined the accuracy or not.