Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 3:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Can you leave the air reservoir pressurized in a PCP rifle?

OK, I finally decided to take the Marauder out to the range. Yes, I could shoot it in my backyard, but I'm going to a .22 range with my friend and his daughter so thought I'd bring it along.

Wow, this morning before setting off to work, I pumped it up with a hand pump (the high pressure Benjamin one) After 120-150 pumps, it got so hard to do I basically locked my elbows and actually just leaned all my body weight on it. That got it to 2500+ psi. Good operating pressure I think.

OK, so ... after a range session, can I leave it filled up with whatever is in there and put it back in the gun cabinet? Or do I ahve to degas it? That would anger me greatly. I mean, if I leave it pressurized, I can save like 80 pumps at least!

I wish air rifle/.22 ranges would supply an electric fill station!!

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 08-30-2014, 7:46 PM

IIRC you should keep some air in it I think 800-1200 PSI is what most would recommend. You can always try asking on the Yellow forum or Kermit airguns.
Old 08-30-2014, 9:47 PM

Yes, you can leave what ever air is left from any previous shooting. It's done all of the time with PCP's. Sometimes it's a good thing to assure that you don't have a leaking tank/valve.

Some use SCUBA tanks filled at places such as Sports Chalet, or a diveshop.

Some use carbon fiber tanks that are smaller and lighter then the SCUBA and also hold more pressure for more fills.

Some use high pressure nitrogen tanks (6.5K) that are regulated down to 3K psi.

Still others use a Shoebox or some other high pressure compressor to do their filling at home.

Or use the hand pump.
Old 08-31-2014, 1:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I always leave mine with air in it, at least 1500 psi. I'm too old for pumping so I put these together they can go with you to the range.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=851137
Old 09-01-2014, 5:43 PM

You should leave 500+ PSI of air in the reservoir. I am a certified diver, and am assuming that the rules for tanks also apply for PCP rifles.
When you degas a tank completely, it allows room for moisture to build up internally. I've always kept at least 200 PSI in my scuba tanks, and roughly 500 PSI in my Discovery.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This is what I meant to post: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1335589
Old 10-26-2017, 3:32 PM

Yes, leaving Air in the gun is fine. The only time we bleed air from the Airtube is when traveling in aircraft.
Old 10-27-2017, 1:31 PM

I leave my RAW .30 fully charged, about 230 BAR. No problems at all. A friend with a Marauder also keeps his fully charged. Never know when a ground squirrel is begging for attention.

About your Marauder... You might check with Joe Brancato at http://airtanksforsale.com
for a larger air bottle (the 97 cu. ft. will keep you covered for more than a few thousand shots...) so you can recharge the rifle at the range. The air bottles and hardware (gauges, hose, carrying kit, etc.) are excellent quality. (The larger caliber has bigger lungs so we have the big tank.) He also has a modification kit for the Marauders that gets both more air efficiency and less noise (like THAT's possible... it's super quiet already). Yeah, his website kinda sucks but I think he likes it that way. Fortunately his products are excellent. Some air rifle enthusiasts get refills at fire departments (bring donuts!) or paint ball shops. We got the Shoebox secondary compressor and do our own refills.
Old 10-27-2017, 8:26 PM

Yes, you can leave in it. But do know that the high pressure of PCP reservoirs have a life expectancy. On my FWB 10m target rifle they have 10 year life from the manufacturer.

You may want to check your manufacturer for more specific details.