Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 01-08-2011, 2:52 PM

Default Getting shot at - Hodge Road - Barstow

Hodge rd. is in Barstow and not Bakersfield

Guys,
Two friends and I went to hodge road on jan 6th 2011 and were ranging some targets for our riffles. My buddy dropped me off and was driving to set up the targets. As soon as he drove off I heard a bullet fly right past my head. Then three more. I jumped behind a little dirt mound and heard multiple shots right into the little dirt mound I was behind. The gunfire stopped. I called my friend on the phone to come back with the truck and pick me up. He did and as soon as he got out of his truck they were shooting at him. This was the confirmation that we were under attack. Trying to rob us? not sure. There were no targets near us and we were at a familiar spot. I jumped in the truck and we took off. I could hear the muzzle pop of the gun as if it was pointed right at us. So.... to make a long story short. We went to the high grounds to seek out who it was. We noticed two cars. One was a black dodge or ford with two hispanic guys in it. The other was a silver SUV which was lurking around the area till dusk. We could not identify who was in the silver SUV. We setup a road block to get them out of the car if they came in our direction but they stayed away. The guys in the black truck went to high grounds also which leads me to believe that they were under fire also. It sounded like a .22 LR at around 110 yards away. Soo.. I'm not sure which truck it was or what. Soooooo... if you guys go to hodge please watch out for those trucks.

We think It might have been a worker for the land owner or something trying to scare us away because the grouping of the bullets which flew by me were around 10-12 feet from me and all together. I feel that these shots were to scare us and not kill us. But it was still to close for comfort. We didn't fire one shot back for many reasons.

Keep your eye out and if you hear bullets coming your way look for a black full size truck or silver suv (like a izusu or something). This is not a joke.

Last edited by amdanman; 01-08-2011 at 2:56 PM.. Reason: wrong city
Old 01-08-2011, 2:55 PM

Default location was barstow

Hodge rd. is in barstow and not bakersfield
Old 01-08-2011, 2:56 PM

did you call the police/sheriff?
Old 01-08-2011, 2:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Could be to keep you away from drug lab/field.
Old 01-08-2011, 2:58 PM

I didn't know what to do or what the hell was going on. After cooling down, thinking about it, i'm going to get on the phone with them right now.
Old 01-08-2011, 3:14 PM

just off the phone with the Barstow sheriff's station. They said there is nothing that can be done now. I should of called the instant it was happening. FYI
Old 01-08-2011, 4:09 PM
Veteran Member

you were on the west side of the 15 correct?

Hmm I cant say anything like this has every happened to me before

but stay safe
Old 01-08-2011, 4:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hmmm, if I was using the words "Under attack" and "shooting at us" I would not have hesitated to throw a couple mags worth in their direction. At the VERY least I would have riddled their F'ing vehicle. So, you could see which direction they were shooting from but not the vehicle? 110 yards seems awfully close. And you didn't call 911? Who doesn't call 911 when someones shooting at them? Sorry if I'm out of line...but your story smells a little fishy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdanman View Post
Hodge rd. is in Barstow and not Bakersfield

Guys,
Two friends and I went to hodge road on jan 6th 2011 and were ranging some targets for our riffles. My buddy dropped me off and was driving to set up the targets. As soon as he drove off I heard a bullet fly right past my head. Then three more. I jumped behind a little dirt mound and heard multiple shots right into the little dirt mound I was behind. The gunfire stopped. I called my friend on the phone to come back with the truck and pick me up. He did and as soon as he got out of his truck they were shooting at him. This was the confirmation that we were under attack. Trying to rob us? not sure. There were no targets near us and we were at a familiar spot. I jumped in the truck and we took off. I could hear the muzzle pop of the gun as if it was pointed right at us. So.... to make a long story short. We went to the high grounds to seek out who it was. We noticed two cars. One was a black dodge or ford with two hispanic guys in it. The other was a silver SUV which was lurking around the area till dusk. We could not identify who was in the silver SUV. We setup a road block to get them out of the car if they came in our direction but they stayed away. The guys in the black truck went to high grounds also which leads me to believe that they were under fire also. It sounded like a .22 LR at around 110 yards away. Soo.. I'm not sure which truck it was or what. Soooooo... if you guys go to hodge please watch out for those trucks.

We think It might have been a worker for the land owner or something trying to scare us away because the grouping of the bullets which flew by me were around 10-12 feet from me and all together. I feel that these shots were to scare us and not kill us. But it was still to close for comfort. We didn't fire one shot back for many reasons.

Keep your eye out and if you hear bullets coming your way look for a black full size truck or silver suv (like a izusu or something). This is not a joke.

Last edited by TurboChrisB; 01-08-2011 at 4:46 PM..
Old 01-08-2011, 4:55 PM
Calguns Addict

^ having been in a similar position, armed, I can tell you sometimes the most prudent course of action is NOT returning fire. It gives away your position, and without a target to shoot at you are opening yourself to liability.

Identified target= take them down

No target = retreat and regroup then S&D if safe to do so.
Old 01-08-2011, 5:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgriffin View Post
^ having been in a similar position, armed, I can tell you sometimes the most prudent course of action is NOT returning fire. It gives away your position, and without a target to shoot at you are opening yourself to liability.

Identified target= take them down

No target = retreat and regroup then S&D if safe to do so.
This, unless you can identify your target.....it is ill advised to return fire. He did the wise thing and disenguaged. Now the sheriff could have defintly done something. Report of a shooting, and they do nothing?? They could go out and investigate the scene to verify the incident.
Old 01-08-2011, 6:22 PM

If im out in the middle of no where, and someone is shooting at me, you can bet your back side i will return fire. Its a life or death situation, im not going to sit around and wait to get shot and die.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" -Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (WW2)
Old 01-08-2011, 6:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango5 View Post
If im out in the middle of no where, and someone is shooting at me, you can bet your back side i will return fire. Its a life or death situation, im not going to sit around and wait to get shot and die.
Unless you are issuing supressive fire, you do not fire when you do not have a target.

Waste of munitions, it reveals your armorment and position, collateral damage.

Three resons you keep your f'n head on your shoulders. If you cannot aquire a target it is better to bug out. I doubt anyone outside of those here on the forum that are ground pounders or vets even can effectivly understand supressive fire and doing so with civilian weapons is even more silly. I certanly wouldn't and would not even attempt it with low capacity semi-auto weapons. Get low, get out, get to a secure position, acess the situation, next choice based on intel you get from secure position.

Last edited by meaty-btz; 01-08-2011 at 6:59 PM..
Old 01-08-2011, 8:45 PM

Roadblock huh???
Seems like a fishy one here.
Old 01-08-2011, 8:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This.

I would identify where the shots are coming from, and shoot back immediately while of course seeking cover. If one of your group is not getting shot at, he should be moving around towards the shooters side or rear and engage him from there. I'd keep doing that until the threat is stopped, at which point I'd call 911, or if no signal, get out of there.

You don't what these guy(s) were up to, sitting there pinned down makes you a sitting duck if there are more than one of them.

The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.
Old 01-08-2011, 9:06 PM

pop the smoke next time.

Cant imagine why LE was not called as soon as you found cover.
Old 01-08-2011, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
Unless you are issuing supressive fire, you do not fire when you do not have a target.

Waste of munitions, it reveals your armorment and position, collateral damage.

Three resons you keep your f'n head on your shoulders. If you cannot aquire a target it is better to bug out. I doubt anyone outside of those here on the forum that are ground pounders or vets even can effectivly understand supressive fire and doing so with civilian weapons is even more silly. I certanly wouldn't and would not even attempt it with low capacity semi-auto weapons. Get low, get out, get to a secure position, acess the situation, next choice based on intel you get from secure position.
If your getting shot at like the situation the OP described, they already know your location, hence the bullets flying around you and in your immediate direction.

Acquiring a target is obvious. You dont just go shooting in the air hoping to hit people. I spent 8 years in the Army, thanks for clearing up the obvious and practical way to defend yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwater OPS View Post
This.

I would identify where the shots are coming from, and shoot back immediately while of course seeking cover. If one of your group is not getting shot at, he should be moving around towards the shooters side or rear and engage him from there. I'd keep doing that until the threat is stopped, at which point I'd call 911, or if no signal, get out of there.

You don't what these guy(s) were up to, sitting there pinned down makes you a sitting duck if there are more than one of them.
This^

The OP said it sounded like it was 100ydsr so out, thats not far at all, you can throw a rock that far. If he could determine the distance, he could determine the position. or if you see dirt flying, what ever way its flying, the bullet is coming from the opposite direction.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" -Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (WW2)
Old 01-08-2011, 9:17 PM

If anybody heading out there tomorrow and see a silver Saturn with a roof rack, dont jump the gun. It'll be in our party
Old 01-08-2011, 9:23 PM

+1 on ID'ing the target first. Imagine shooting at the wrong people. WTF, is wrong with some of you guys?

On the flip side, after positive ID, I'd be dumping lead on the perps.
Old 01-08-2011, 9:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The OP said it sounded like it was 100ydsr so out, thats not far at all, you can throw a rock that far. If he could determine the distance, he could determine the position. or if you see dirt flying, what ever way its flying, the bullet is coming from the opposite direction.
You can throw a rock 300 Ft? Thats one hell of an arm you have. I hear that you can have a great life as a QB in the Pros with an arm like that. I mean, you are going to be the KING of Hail Mary Passes being able to throw a TD in one play end-zone to end-zone.

The OP stated he didnt know the exact location of the shooter till after they had bugged out, nor did the ever actually "see" the shooter while under fire unless the OP left that part out.

Again, I am not a cow-boy, nor a Ninja, nor a Super Soldier. I am going to GTFO when bullets start flying. Now if I have a clear sight on the shooter and am in a confident position.. thats different.

The only thing the OP did wrong was not calling the cops while bugging out. Also the shooter didnt know what the OP was armed with and it appears either he was a bad shot or was "playing games" with the OP elsewise they would have shot at the Truck that was being used as an evac vehicle.

I guess some people here are Rambo.

Last edited by meaty-btz; 01-08-2011 at 9:52 PM..
Old 01-08-2011, 9:36 PM

Maybe I read it wrong but sounds to me that the OP never actually found out the "exact location" of the shooter. More like possible perps.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:05 PM

you are on the drug dealer plantation that's why. Shoot them the **** out...lol just kidding. You didn't yell " Case fire , i am not a deer " ? lol if they still shooting at you Yes shoot back at least 2 or 3 rounds then get away from there...then Call 911..

Last edited by vietboy1st; 01-08-2011 at 10:11 PM..
Old 01-08-2011, 10:36 PM

I never did identify who the shooter was. Only suspects. They didn't shoot the truck which they could have easily been able to do. Also, the road block i setup was a target that someone left out there that was made into a large saw horse. We bailed it because we thought they might be pissed about a that target when it was on its side and looked as if no one was using it. So we bailed it on the road which we were using to get away. Lastly, I never shot back because I had absolutely no idea where the bullets were coming from. I figured they knew where i was and If i popped my head up to look. well.... I kept my head down. I'm not the most experienced guy when it comes to being shot at. I've never been in the military. I was also guessing about the distance. I could only compare what i was hearing to my ruger 10/22.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:45 PM

Were you on the west side of the 15 or east?

The location that the incident took place. If on the west side?
Old 01-08-2011, 11:05 PM

I made a map to show where we were relative to the suspected area of the shooter. You have to click on the img icon and open in new page.

The link to the image is here:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/imag...2e2a10b831.jpg
Old 01-08-2011, 11:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I've been to Hodge road many many times and never had this happen. But, it's one reason whenever I'm out that I always keep a weapon on me that's ready to go. If I'm shooting my rifle, I have my sidearm on me and ready to go. If I'm shooting my sidearm, my rifle is next to me and ready to go.

I've heard of people being robbed, but never shot at.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 01-08-2011, 11:13 PM

we've been many times also. This was a first. I just bought a new riffle (rem 700 .308) and finally got a range finder to do some distance shooting. We never expected this to happen.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
we've been many times also. This was a first. I just bought a new riffle (rem 700 .308) and finally got a range finder to do some distance shooting. We never expected this to happen.
I always expect to get robbed or something, so my guard is always up. I don't think I'd expect to get shot at though without some type of confrontation first.

Too bad you didn't have your 700 setup, you could have tested it out.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 01-08-2011, 11:19 PM

when they were shooting at me all I had was my range finder. My buddy was in the truck and I was signaling him at different distances to drop the targets. I was a sitting duck getting toyed with. I'm sure who ever was shooting at me was having a fun time. I will never be that dumb again. I will have my stuff with me next time. Only if grenades were legal in California. I could have used a couple. lol
Old 01-08-2011, 11:22 PM

Wow........
I believe the situation is scary for the OP.
To be honest, how many people here have been shot at if you are not LE/ military people?
As long as the op can come home safe, it's most important thing...
If there is next time (god forbid no), find the cover and dail 911 or flee away...
Come home safely is the most important thing...
01001001011001100010000001111001011011110111010100 10000001100011011000010110111000100000011101010110 11100110010001100101011100100010000001110100011010 00011001010111001101100101001000000111010001100101 01111000011101000010110000100000011110010110111101 11010100100000011010000110000101110110011001010010 00000110100001101001011001110110100000100000010010 01010100010010000001100001011100110010000001101101 01100101001011100010000001010000011001010110000101 100011011001010010000000100001
Old 01-08-2011, 11:23 PM

I will never go shooting in the desert without a bullet proof vest from now on. Any recommendations for a good one?
Old 01-08-2011, 11:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
when they were shooting at me all I had was my range finder. My buddy was in the truck and I was signaling him at different distances to drop the targets. I was a sitting duck getting toyed with. I'm sure who ever was shooting at me was having a fun time. I will never be that dumb again. I will have my stuff with me next time. Only if grenades were legal in California. I could have used a couple. lol
Not dumb at all, no one expects to get shot at. I'm just a worst case scenario person myself. I'm always checking people, cars, and whatever as I drive by and setup. Last thing I need is to get shot out in the middle of no where.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 01-08-2011, 11:30 PM

i posted a link where we were.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Calguns Addict

I have been shot at and it is scary... Weird that you had NO contact with them an dthey shot at you... Glad your ok but DO NOT understand AT ALL why you didn't call LEO right away...
Old 01-09-2011, 12:07 AM

It's hard to believe that someone is shooting at you. I kept second guessing myself thinking that we were in someones way. When we were getting away and drove up a hill the only thing that went through our heads were scenarios why that happened. Reasons. etc. Also when I ducked down to avoid fire my phone rang. I didn't even know it was in my pocket. I was really nervous. My friend called me wondering where the hell I went because he was watching and waiting for me to give him a signal for the first set of targets. I told him I was being shot at and he drove to get me ASAP. if you snap your fingers, thats how quick the situation passed. I was just thinking, get me out. Thats it. When we were in the car driving away on the road we kept thinking "why?". After everything, we were out in the clear and laughed about it a bit. I thought about calling the LE but i didn't. I didn't know if i was over reacting or what. But thinking back on it, I shouldn't of hesitated to call.

So what I originally said about me calling my friend was false. He called me.
The call took place at 12:36pm. duration 2:03 seconds.

The reason why i'm posting this is just for a heads up. Also hearing advice on how to handle the situation is very helpful.

Last edited by amdanman; 01-09-2011 at 12:19 AM..
Old 01-09-2011, 9:33 AM
Calguns Addict

I am just glad you are ok man. Crazy world this is turning into.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:17 AM

Craziness! Glad you are ok and be careful.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
Ronald Reagan

The mindless dribble that is my BLOG
Old 01-09-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaty-btz View Post
You can throw a rock 300 Ft? Thats one hell of an arm you have. I hear that you can have a great life as a QB in the Pros with an arm like that. I mean, you are going to be the KING of Hail Mary Passes being able to throw a TD in one play end-zone to end-zone.

The OP stated he didnt know the exact location of the shooter till after they had bugged out, nor did the ever actually "see" the shooter while under fire unless the OP left that part out.

Again, I am not a cow-boy, nor a Ninja, nor a Super Soldier. I am going to GTFO when bullets start flying. Now if I have a clear sight on the shooter and am in a confident position.. thats different.

The only thing the OP did wrong was not calling the cops while bugging out. Also the shooter didnt know what the OP was armed with and it appears either he was a bad shot or was "playing games" with the OP elsewise they would have shot at the Truck that was being used as an evac vehicle.

I guess some people here are Rambo.
You can throw a rock hell of a lot farther than you can a football.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:47 AM

I used to shoot off of Hodge Road, driving far back to the small canyon, until I took a buddy who was a Temecula cop with me, and he told me that they had recovered a headless corpse out there. I have seen other things that struck me as odd, a van with the name of a church on the side, filled with clean cut young men and full auto ARs
firing, and found evidence of a meth production site there. I don't go there anymore.
Glad you were not hurt.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:16 AM
SeƱor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

I made a map to show where we were relative to the suspected area of the shooter. You have to click on the img icon and open in new page.

The link to the image is here:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/imag...2e2a10b831.jpg
Got nothing.

Can't you use Photobucket or some other service that allows you to link directly?
Even attach it directly to your message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Got nothing.

Can't you use Photobucket or some other service that allows you to link directly?
Even attach it directly to your message.
Yea I had the same problem but if you hit refresh then it comes up.

Resident CCW: Enhanced ID
Non Resident CCW: AZ, FL, NV, OR, & UT