Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 07-20-2016, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riffplayer88@yahoo.com View Post
Anyone gone through a recent renewal? I'm a year away from expiration, but i want to plan ahead. I heard you can renew 60 days before expiration, but seeing as just Livescan is taking 4-6 mo, i'd assume i should try to renew earlier. yes, i know you can ask for an extension.
You don't do LiveScan for renewal.

Review the process, here. http://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Orga.../SIIB/CCW.aspx

Last edited by Dvrjon; 07-20-2016 at 12:46 PM..
Old 07-20-2016, 7:04 PM

I don't think you have to live scan for renewals, although I dont have my ccw yet...
Old 07-20-2016, 8:43 PM

I just moved to Sacramento. Is there a time period that I have to live in Sacramento before I can apply for my CCW?

EDIT: Does anyone know if two credit card statement would work for proof of residency?

Last edited by VL221; 07-20-2016 at 9:25 PM..
Old 07-21-2016, 5:20 AM

Two (2) pieces of proof of residency dated within the last 60 days. WE DO NOT accept overdue bills! Acceptable proof must be a monthly bill such as a utility bill, bank statement, cell phone bill, credit card statement, etc. We do not accept documents from DMV as proof of residency but we must ensure your home address is current with the California DMV. You cannot update your home address simply by registering a vehicle or updating your vehicle registration. It can take over 72 hours for DMV to complete the update and for their database to reflect the changes.
Old 07-21-2016, 5:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL221 View Post
I just moved to Sacramento. Is there a time period that I have to live in Sacramento before I can apply for my CCW?

EDIT: Does anyone know if two credit card statement would work for proof of residency?
S1nned provided the specific instruction. More are included here: http://www.sacsheriff.com/Pages/Orga.../SIIB/CCW.aspx
Old 07-21-2016, 6:15 AM

Is it still true that Cali ccw aren't available for out of state residents. Nevada here. But I work in California a lot. Makes no sense to not be able to carry when I'm here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2016, 10:32 AM

Cali doesn't have a non resident ccw and is not reciprocal so there is no other state permit that is legal in cali. Uscarry.com has a map that shows where u can carry with the permit or permits u have.
Old 07-21-2016, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1nned View Post
Two (2) pieces of proof of residency dated within the last 60 days. WE DO NOT accept overdue bills! Acceptable proof must be a monthly bill such as a utility bill, bank statement, cell phone bill, credit card statement, etc. We do not accept documents from DMV as proof of residency but we must ensure your home address is current with the California DMV. You cannot update your home address simply by registering a vehicle or updating your vehicle registration. It can take over 72 hours for DMV to complete the update and for their database to reflect the changes.
Thanks
Old 07-22-2016, 10:50 PM

Just got my permit Wednesday.
Here was my timeline for anyone looking for that sort of thing.

Scheduled Initial appt: 12/17/15
Initial appointment: 1/28/16
SSD Approval: 2/18/16
Livescan Start: 2/22/16
Required Training Classes: 4/2/16 & 4/9/16
Livescan Approval: 4/21/16 (59 days)
Scheduled issue date: 5/9/16
SCSO cancelled appt: 5/6/16
Rescheduled Issue appt: 5/20/16
Issued: 7/20/16
Old 07-23-2016, 8:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben530 View Post

Congrats!

Thanks for sharing your timeline for those somewhere in the process...
Old 08-03-2016, 9:50 AM

Question CCW mental illness question in Sac County

Good Afternoon fellow Californians,
I'm interested in obtaining my CCW in Sac County for the protection of myself and family. My entire application would be squeaky clean except for the question of Mental Illness. I have taken Prozac for about 12 years now for anxiety. It's embarrassing but it was mainly due to the fear of needing a restroom when one isn't available, which had caused me to not enjoy life's adventures to the fullest. The medication has help tremendously and it's not like it was court ordered or I was admitted to a mental institution for the issue. I more define it as a mental disorder instead of mental illness which honestly is in the same categories as male erectile disorder and stuttering.

So my question is how do I go about answering the question, unfortunately our system has placed anxiety into the same categories as the ones described above and others such as Schizophrenia, manic disorder and bi-polar disorder. I will not lie on the application however I don't want to answer the question and be placed into a government system which one day can categorize me as a threat to society.

On another note I work for a state department which has a very reputable relationship with law enforcement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalgunowner View Post
I'm interested in obtaining my CCW in Sac County for the protection of myself and family. My entire application would be squeaky clean except for the question of Mental Illness. I have taken Prozac for about 12 years now for anxiety. It's embarrassing but it was mainly due to the fear of needing a restroom when one isn't available, which had caused me to not enjoy life's adventures to the fullest. The medication has help tremendously and it's not like it was court ordered or I was admitted to a mental institution for the issue. I more define it as a mental disorder instead of mental illness which honestly is in the same categories as male erectile disorder and stuttering.

So my question is how do I go about answering the question, unfortunately our system has placed anxiety into the same categories as the ones described above and others such as Schizophrenia, manic disorder and bi-polar disorder. I will not lie on the application however I don't want to answer the question and be placed into a government system which one day can categorize me as a threat to society.
Prozac is a prescription drug. No matter how you characterize the reasons for taking it, your doctor's reasons for prescribing it are more persuasive and important and will probably be required. Otherwise, the decision to issue would be based on your self-certification as to why you are on drugs, and, well....you're on drugs.

Quote:
On another note I work for a state department which has a very reputable relationship with law enforcement.
One might hope that all state departments have very reputable relationships with law enforcement. However, you are applying for the CCW, not your employment office. The fact that you are gainfully employed and stable is a positive.

Quote:
Good luck.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben530 View Post

Hey Ben, glad to see this! I know you were bummed about the cancellations. Now get out there and start self defending! Grats!
Old 08-03-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Prozac is a very common medication. You should trying contacting the Sheriff's ccw unit and asking for more information. Anxiety, IMO, should not be a reason for disqualification.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:30 AM

Waiting on livescan since early May. Emailed ccw today was told there is a 4 month backlog from DOJ and FBI.

Does this seem strange?
Old 08-08-2016, 1:41 PM

Scanned in mid April and still waiting. At least you got a response..

Old 08-09-2016, 6:12 AM

Livescan at the end of May here and waiting...
Old 08-09-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916wfhunter View Post
Initial 3/10
Approval 4/19

Updating the above..
Livescan 4/22
Clearance 8/9

Went to schedule issuance and earliest available is early October. Now to hover over the website for cancellations..

Old 08-09-2016, 7:01 PM

So anyone have any idea when we'll be able to modify our permits?
Old 08-09-2016, 7:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_angeles View Post
So anyone have any idea when we'll be able to modify our permits?
Every 2 years on renewal.

The results of the Nov Congressional election will have an impact. If Scott Jones wins, we get a new appointed sheriff with a bunch of pressure to get appointed and then elected. If Jones loses the election, we will see continued pressure on him, and he probably won't run again for Sheriff.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 08-09-2016 at 7:19 PM..
Old 08-09-2016, 8:23 PM

So guys, what should my "just cause" reason should be for Sacramento County?

I found something on internet like...

Quote:
Thank you for considering my application for a Concealed Weapons Permit. The following reasons are
why I am requesting a CCW:
Personal protection/self defense of myself and my family.
Thank you,
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 08-09-2016, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin15w View Post
Prozac is a very common medication. You should trying contacting the Sheriff's ccw unit and asking for more information. Anxiety, IMO, should not be a reason for disqualification.
^^^ very common indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Prozac is a prescription drug. No matter how you characterize the reasons for taking it, your doctor's reasons for prescribing it are more persuasive and important and will probably be required. Otherwise, the decision to issue would be based on your self-certification as to why you are on drugs, and, well....you're on drugs.

^^^True. However....

The OP could wean off the med altogether and discontinue it - then apply.

For most anxiety patients, they are treated for 6mo - 2yrs and thereafter don't need further treatment. The condition, like depression, can also come and go. A patient can have the condition in their 20s and then not again until their 50s.

On average, anxiety most commonly shows up in the 30s and after, when there are greater demands on the individual.

From a healthcare / patient's rights perspective, he can refuse treatment.

Additionally, HIPPA protects all medical information and when it comes to mental health information it has an additional layer of protection in addition to HIPPA.

For example, at Kaiser, a primary care physician can see Prozac on his file, but has absolutely no detail as to the reason for the prescription - that med is used to treat 20+ conditions from bulimia to fibromyalgia to BDD, PTSD, hypochondria, anorexia, OCD, etc.

Based only on what he has written here, he does not have a DSM V condition that would justify involuntary hospitalization and be involuntarily medicated.

Unless he is a court-ordered outpatient that is required to be involuntarily medicated (extremely rare), he cannot be forced to take any medication and can refuse treatment.

So which would you prefer, someone on Prozac that may potentially be rejected on CCW or someone that needs Prozac, but refuses treatment in order to be eligible for the CCW?

And it's interesting that after one has the CCW they can be treated. Go figure.

There are numerous anxiety disorders and the gap between the lay perception and reality are night and day.

Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD), Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Anxiety Attacks (Panic Disorder), PTSD, specific Phobias and OCD are the main categories.

The psychiatrist diagnosis relies entirely on the patient's self-report on a PHQ-9 or GAD-7 (questionnaires filled out by patient - one has 9 questions and the other has 7 - usually the patient only takes one of these).

So yes, it is essentially self-certification. And he can self-decertify by picking up the phone contacting his psychiatrist and advising him/her that he feels he no longer needs the medication and wants to wean off. In 4-6 weeks he'd be off all meds.

Plenty of people in the population exhibit symptoms that would make them patients (I see this all the time - particularly on CG), but they themselves do not recognize the symptoms and go about their lives without seeking treatment. It does not mean they are "normal" (not that there is any such thing anyway) or well.

Likewise, there are others that exhibit very few symptoms (in this case it seems to be a very specific case), but are sufficiently self-aware to recognize that something isn't quite right and seek treatment.

Many Americans self-medicate (alcohol, weed) without ever recognizing the condition or realizing they are self-medicating.

Personally, I'd feel 10X safer with a CCW holder on Prozac than a "normal" CCW holder that has never submitted themselves for a psychological or psychiatric evaluation.

That being said, since our society places such a social stigma on mental health disorders that the CCW unit would place anxiety disorders alongside Schizophrenia, Manic and Bi-Polar disorders....

I'm guessing some government worker interpreted Axis I conditions as being "equal" because all these conditions are found in Axis I - well, so is alcoholism, cannabis abuse and a most other conditions which has nothing at all to do with one condition being more or less serious than another Axis I condition.

The multiaxial system is not a ranking of mental disorders.

The DSM has five axes:

Axis I records the patient’s primary diagnosis.
Axis II records long-standing personality problems or mental retardation.
Axis III records any medical conditions that might affect the patient psychologically.
Axis IV records any significant psychosocial or environmental problems experienced by the patient.
Axis V records an assessment of the patient’s level of functioning.

If you ever spent a week working with psychiatric patients, you'd notice the difference between these conditions very quickly.

Source: I've personally dealt w/ patients at Sutter Center for Psychiatry

ARMSLIST: WTB: 9mm Ruger LC9S PRO

AB-950 Firearms: gun violence restraining orders.(2015-2016)

Last edited by FireCloud9; 08-09-2016 at 8:57 PM..
Old 08-09-2016, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

^TL;DR.

The guy needs to know how to answer the question. If he says he's on a drug, it is not unreasonable to expect the IA to ask why. While they may take his answer, it would seem more prudent to request information from his physician who prescribed the drug.

At this point he's got enough information to answer "yes" or "no".
Old 08-09-2016, 9:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcobra00 View Post
So guys, what should my "just cause" reason should be for Sacramento County?

I found something on internet like...
Self-defense and defense of family seems to work just fine.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:32 AM

Hey Guys

We were told some time back that things would "go back to normal" after July. I've already attended my renewal training/qualification and my CCW expires on 9/8. No appointments available. I reached out to the gun unit and I get "keep checking the calendar for cancellations.

I work during the day - it's pretty tough for me to keep logging onto the Sheriffs web site. The first available appt is 5 weeks after I expire.

Any tips on how to navigate what used to be a very slick system but now aint?
Old 08-15-2016, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivedabizness View Post
Hey Guys

We were told some time back that things would "go back to normal" after July. I've already attended my renewal training/qualification and my CCW expires on 9/8. No appointments available. I reached out to the gun unit and I get "keep checking the calendar for cancellations.

I work during the day - it's pretty tough for me to keep logging onto the Sheriffs web site. The first available appt is 5 weeks after I expire.

Any tips on how to navigate what used to be a very slick system but now aint?
Since they had to shut down new issues for a while, those are probably backed up and taking slots.

First step is to get any appointment you can for renewal, even if it is after your expiration. They will allow 60 days post expiration for renewal. If you exceed this, they may put you back into initial issue status requiring another LiveScan.

Once you have that in place, then you can haunt the system for a renewal opening.

I have no idea when they update system status or when the system updates, but real time updating systems are costly. A pure guess is that the system batch updates overnight. I'd check first thing in the a.m.

Good luck.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:55 PM

Thanks for this. I found a date in green less than 60 days after my expiration. But when I click on it it turns yellow and no times are offered up

I emailed the gun unit....we'll see
Old 08-15-2016, 2:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for this. I found a date in green less than 60 days after my expiration. But when I click on it it turns yellow and no times are offered up

I emailed the gun unit....we'll see
If that happens, using the buttons at the bottom of the page, back out of the app to the "type of appointment" page. Reset for renewal and then proceed again.
Old 08-15-2016, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Since they had to shut down new issues for a while, those are probably backed up and taking slots.

First step is to get any appointment you can for renewal, even if it is after your expiration. They will allow 60 days post expiration for renewal. If you exceed this, they may put you back into initial issue status requiring another LiveScan.

Once you have that in place, then you can haunt the system for a renewal opening.

I have no idea when they update system status or when the system updates, but real time updating systems are costly. A pure guess is that the system batch updates overnight. I'd check first thing in the a.m.

Good luck.
The gun unit emailed and specifically told me today that I AM NOT authorized to carry after my expiration date.

So while I'm happy to have any appointment (even 5 weeks after my license expires) I will continue to play "web site appointment bingo" t try to get an appointment before it does.
Old 08-15-2016, 4:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The gun unit emailed and specifically told me today that I AM NOT authorized to carry after my expiration date.

So while I'm happy to have any appointment (even 5 weeks after my license expires) I will continue to play "web site appointment bingo" t try to get an appointment before it does.
That's correct. When the license expires, you can't carry.

The greater loss is if you go beyond the "grace period" of 2 months and they make you find a new issuance appointment and then you get LiveScanned for an additional delay. That would hose you for another year.
Old 08-15-2016, 8:32 PM

How about the greater rat f*ck?

I grow tired of listening to this bulls*t.

I have yet to hear a cogent explanation of just why, specifically, the licensing program has gone completely to sh*t.

And I grow tired of waiting. We are a patient lot - and not indisposed to understanding things done with good reason. I have yet to hear anything approaching "good reason". He's the elected Sheriff. Let's hear exactly why licenses can't be processed.

Is that clear enough??
Old 08-16-2016, 5:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
How about the greater rat f*ck?

I grow tired of listening to this bulls*t.

I have yet to hear a cogent explanation of just why, specifically, the licensing program has gone completely to sh*t.

And I grow tired of waiting. We are a patient lot - and not indisposed to understanding things done with good reason. I have yet to hear anything approaching "good reason". He's the elected Sheriff. Let's hear exactly why licenses can't be processed.

Is that clear enough??
Whining on the Internet to people who are not responsible for your failure to manage the system provided to us is not productive.

Contacting the people directly responsible for your butthurt seems a more reasonable approach.

Here's how it's done:

Sheriff Scott Jones: 916.874.7146 Email: Sheriff@sacsheriff.com

Erik Maness, Undersheriff 916.874.5094

Siib@sacsheriff.com 916.874.8002

Is that clear enough?

Good luck.
Old 08-16-2016, 6:48 AM

Old 08-16-2016, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Whining on the Internet to people who are not responsible for your failure to manage the system provided to us is not productive.

Contacting the people directly responsible for your butthurt seems a more reasonable approach.

Here's how it's done:

Sheriff Scott Jones: 916.874.7146 Email: Sheriff@sacsheriff.com

Erik Maness, Undersheriff 916.874.5094

Siib@sacsheriff.com 916.874.8002

Is that clear enough?

Good luck.
Sounds like you either work for the Sheriff - who I have never disparaged and am in fact a contributor to his Congressional campaign - or are one of those who believe the little people should simply shut up and just take whatever their servants dish out. All from the safety of your computer keyboard.

I did write to the Sheriff. We'll see what he has to say.
Old 08-16-2016, 4:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCloud9 View Post

The multiaxial system is not a ranking of mental disorders.

The DSM has five axes:

Axis I records the patientís primary diagnosis.
Axis II records long-standing personality problems or mental retardation.
Axis III records any medical conditions that might affect the patient psychologically.
Axis IV records any significant psychosocial or environmental problems experienced by the patient.
Axis V records an assessment of the patientís level of functioning.

If you ever spent a week working with psychiatric patients, you'd notice the difference between these conditions very quickly.

Source: I've personally dealt w/ patients at Sutter Center for Psychiatry
The Multiaxial system is simply an organized way to describe a mental disorder and its effect on a patient and as such is used by people who work with those with mental illness/disorders in a standardized way.

Source: Nursing School and was fortunate to be able to do 2 rotations through SCP. I'm not a psych nurse by any stretch, that exposure certainly helps!
Old 08-16-2016, 5:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Sounds like you either work for the Sheriff - who I have never disparaged and am in fact a contributor to his Congressional campaign - or are one of those who believe the little people should simply shut up and just take whatever their servants dish out. All from the safety of your computer keyboard.

I did write to the Sheriff. We'll see what he has to say.
I've never characterized you or called you names. And I can see no reason for you to attempt to do so with me. I gave you solid information, and you thanked me for it.

At any rate, your analytical capabilities appear to require refinement. Your analysis of me has my wife laughing her butt off. In her words, "He really has no clue, does he?"

I am, however, glad I was able to provide you with the contact information for the Sheriff so you can query him on, his "greater rat f*ck," and, "why, specifically, the licensing program has gone completely to sh*t."

Or did you clean up your language and approach after coming out from behind the safety of your computer keyboard?

(That's a rhetorical question without need for an answer).

Regardless, best of luck in your future endeavors, and here's hoping that you can catch an earlier renewal appointment.

Best.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 08-16-2016 at 5:17 PM..
Old 08-17-2016, 9:27 PM

Quote:
I've never characterized you or called you names. And I can see no reason for you to attempt to do so with me. I gave you solid information, and you thanked me for it.

At any rate, your analytical capabilities appear to require refinement. Your analysis of me has my wife laughing her butt off. In her words, "He really has no clue, does he?"

I am, however, glad I was able to provide you with the contact information for the Sheriff so you can query him on, his "greater rat f*ck," and, "why, specifically, the licensing program has gone completely to sh*t."

Or did you clean up your language and approach after coming out from behind the safety of your computer keyboard?

(That's a rhetorical question without need for an answer).

Regardless, best of luck in your future endeavors, and here's hoping that you can catch an earlier renewal appointment.

Best.
Classic!!!

Seen on a LGS Wall.
Without the Second, there would be No First!!
Old 08-18-2016, 3:30 PM

So while I was a little profane the other night (for which I apologize to all) I'm still less than clear about what happened. The unit previously told me that "up to speed" they could process over 100 permits a day. They must have taken a major hit to staff (see below). Oh well...

I did send a note to the Sheriff and today I received their response. I suppose all we can do is our best.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sheriff Jones:

I am writing to you in an attempt to gain a better understanding of the cause of delays in processing CCW applications.

I understand that DOJ may very well be "sitting on" background checks, which may be adding processing time for some new applicants. My concern is - having watched the process start out with limited appointments where it might take a year or more just to drop off an application, (and meanwhile playing "appointment Bingo" to see if an opening/cancellation had occurred), to where the process really streamlined, to the current state of playing "appointment Bingo" again to process my renewal. At this point my license will have expired for over 5 weeks before I can complete my renewal appointment.

I want to make very clear that I appreciate being in a County where my CLEO believes law abiding people have a right to carry in their own defense. And I appreciate the integrity you have shown in standing up to anti-gun politicians in Sacramento. I would just like to understand better what is impacting what had been a very good process.

If The Board of Supervisors (or other actors) are placing obstacles in your way, I understand that you may have limited ability to control events.

Wishing you all success.

Respectfully,

XXXXXXXXXX

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Their response:

Mr. XXXXXX,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your concern. As you are likely aware we have nearly 8000 CCW permits issued in Sacramento County. Given the amount of processing time and staffing levels, we are simply seeing an overwhelming demand for renewals. We are working quickly to remedy this situation. We are adding new appointments every day, however, they fill up as quickly as they are released. We are attempting to bring on more staff to help with scheduling, but that takes time to select and train appropriate personnel.

I appreciate your patience during this time, and understand the frustration we are causing.

Sergeant Alex McCamy
Assistant to the Sheriff
Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department
711 G Street Sacramento CA 95814
(916) 874-5332 Fax
amccamy@sacsheriff.com