Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2015, 3:46 PM

Hello,

I wanted to post a quick review of the Sac Gun Club. No, I havn't received anything from them, and this is all my opinion. I met Jesse here after his thorough review of a new Shield 9mm and MagGuts in another thread. I asked him a few questions via PM, and although he refused to sell me his new gun, he was very good at answering all the rest of my noob questions. He even offered to let me try his Shield off work hours, since he wasn't working for a couple weeks. Fast forward to today, and after shooting at another range I decided to take the plunge on the Shield. I called around price shopping, and ended up at SGC. They were one of the cheapest, and had the gun in stock. The salesman I worked with today was professional, and helped me decide between the XD and Shield. I get the Shield out of jail on 12/21, and I'm hoping to spend my lunch at the range.

One thought, you guys should give a free hour of range usage for anyone that buys a new gun. That would be nice... LOL

Thanks for the great customer service, and answering all of my seemingly silly questions. I look forward to spending some time getting used to my new weapon, and practicing for my upcoming CCW course.

Coachie.

Last edited by Coachie; 12-14-2015 at 3:07 PM..
Old 12-14-2015, 1:22 PM

I think a free hour with gun purchase is entirely reasonable and a great piece of good-will. A box of ammo would be nice to include in the purchase too, especially for members.

However, no one should shoot a new gun straight out of the box, without reading the manual, dis-assembling it, personally cleaning it thoroughly and putting it back together in working order. If you haven't done that, you really shouldn't shoot it yet.

(for those who want to jump all over this, I make an exception for brand new Glocks which come with a wonderful copper colored lube that you should leave in as long as possible. But you should still dis-assemble, clean and lube all the rest and re-assemble before shooting...)
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 12-14-2015, 3:24 PM

Our rental pistols are testaments to "out of the box" shooting. A little bit of lube on the rails and they were good to go. Thousands of rounds later and they're still going. We do clean the guns on a schedule, but it is nowhere near the levels that private owners clean theirs.

The "clean the gun before shooting" advisory originated from the time when manufacturers packed excess grease on their firearms for shipping and potentially long term storage. That is no longer the case with larger manufactured firearms. Some come in heavily coated with oil and others are practically dry.

My recommendation is to check for function and barrel obstructions. If it's good to go, but you feel like the slides could use a bit of oiling, add some oil then go shoot. You can do a thorough take down once you get home, but with all things it is up to your discretion and preference.
Mon-Thu 11 AM-9 PM | Fri-Sat 9 AM-9 PM | Sun 10-5 PM

Glock Blue Label Provider | Promotions | Pistol League | Sacramento | Norcal
Old 12-17-2015, 7:14 PM

I bought a Blue Label Glock from SGC a few months back. Customer service was great. Once I have my ammo stacked deep, I think I'll need to join.
Old 12-19-2015, 1:40 PM

We could argue this more appropriately someplace else, but the point of thoroughly cleaning a new (hand)gun, particularly one you've never had before is:
  • to get fully familiar with the parts
  • how they go together
  • what warnings or advice are in the manual, and
  • to discover the relevant YouTubes and bookmark them on your phone

It's not so much about cleaning out manufacturers lube, as it is about dismantling the gun and getting it back together in working order.

I think the SGC's ideas about it being OK to shoot a new gun straight out of the box are associated with the fact that no cleaning or disassembly of guns is allowed anywhere in the club. Except by the gunsmith, of course.
Old 12-20-2015, 6:21 PM
Veteran Member

Shooting modern pistols without cleaning them is totally acceptable. Cleaning beforehand is a personal preference and not required.

I have personally had to disassemble and clear multiple squibs on the firing line at SGC. The range officers could not be more professional, friendly or safe. That's why I keep going back.
Old 12-20-2015, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Shoot the guns, first.

1. If you don't disassemble revolvers, then you don't need to disassemble semi-autos. (And no one disassembles revolvers).

2. I've owned and worked on 1911s and GLOCKS for over 40 years. I don't need to see how they go together. If you are experienced, you don't need to, either. If you are a Noob (and we all were at one time), you shouldn't be taking your guns apart without experienced help. As a beginner, you don't need to know how everything fits together. You need to focus on making it go "bang" without unintentionally destroying something.

3. It should work out of the box. If it doesn't, then the mfg needs to fix it. If you dismantle the gun and can't get it back together, YouTube may not be your salvation (good luck finding that spring that just took off). If you disassemble and reassemble the gun and it then malfunctions, you will have to prove you didn't screw something up.

4. I've field stripped and troubleshot a number of guns on the firing point at SGC in the past year (Crappy ammo and friends who didn't clean guns). Telling the RO what's going on and what you are about to do works wonders.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 12-21-2015 at 7:34 AM..
Old 12-30-2015, 11:21 AM

DVR, you may be getting away with it, but I have been told by SGC management that there is no disassembly or cleaning of guns allowed anywhere in the club.

That said, obviously, clearing malfunctions in the presence of an RSO is allowed.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:55 AM

Only took one trip down here to get a membership. Totally worth it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2015, 11:59 AM

** to convince me to get a membership

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2015, 12:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
DVR, you may be getting away with it, but I have been told by SGC management that there is no disassembly or cleaning of guns allowed anywhere in the club.

That said, obviously, clearing malfunctions in the presence of an RSO is allowed.
Bonnie. I'm not, "getting away," with anything.
Old 12-30-2015, 1:09 PM

I've been member of the club since they opened and can't say enough about the staff and facilities. My only complaint is their telephone voicemail system. When I call I can never get a live person to answer and many of the extensions have voicemails that are full and you can't leave messages.

Last edited by printrep; 12-30-2015 at 7:00 PM..
Old 12-30-2015, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printrep View Post
I've been member of the club since they opened and can't say enough about the star and facilities. My only complaint is their telephone voicemail system. When I call I can never get a live person to answer and many of the extensions have voicemails that are full and you can't leave messages.
+1 on that note
Old 12-30-2015, 3:09 PM

Such kind words. Ninja, glad to have you on board. I'm glad to see that our new and veteran members are mingling.

I've forwarded the phone system inquiries to our GM and he will be addressing the situation.

To the gun cleaning situation, the range is not meant for anyone to sit there and clean their guns as if they were at home. This is to avoid excess oils or small parts flying around i.e. maintain our safety standards.

If you need to field strip to lube or handle a malfunction, just let the RSO know. Many of our policies allow the RSOs to use their discretion because no two scenarios are the same. We're always there to help and if we need to call our gunsmith, we will at your request or if it is determined that the malfunction is a safety concern.

Thanks again.

Old 12-30-2015, 8:47 PM

I just went to SGC for the first time yesterday, with my brand new 75b. Gorgeous facility, walked through the store before I shot to check out the place/prices. Very impressed, and the prices were good, especially for a store attached to a range. Didn't look into ammo prices though. Everyone was friendly, staff was helpful if I had any questions. After one visit this will be my home range, and I might buy a membership after just one visit.

Have a few questions about the place. Is a gunsmith always on site, and do you guys do sight work on CZs? Also, what was the building before?
Old 12-30-2015, 9:55 PM

I was in there a couple days ago after being gone for about 3-4 weeks and WOW what a difference. There were dozens of people walking around, I could tell there were a LOT of new shooters which I think is great. I had to wait a little while to get a line and then when I was done because of all the n00bs and their n00b questions taking up the staff's time, but I didn't mind at all, I was a n00b at one time myself. Great to see the place picking up in business, I was kind of worried at first because it seemed like several times I was there, there were only 2-3 other people in the whole place. I also saw a lot of new employees, which is a good sign as well. It's a great range and I hope you guys are around for a long time.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy75 View Post
I was in there a couple days ago after being gone for about 3-4 weeks and WOW what a difference. There were dozens of people walking around, I could tell there were a LOT of new shooters which I think is great. I had to wait a little while to get a line and then when I was done because of all the n00bs and their n00b questions taking up the staff's time, but I didn't mind at all, I was a n00b at one time myself. Great to see the place picking up in business, I was kind of worried at first because it seemed like several times I was there, there were only 2-3 other people in the whole place. I also saw a lot of new employees, which is a good sign as well. It's a great range and I hope you guys are around for a long time.
Maybe it was because of the holidays? Everyone's relaxing and out?
Old 12-31-2015, 7:11 AM

Thanks for the support!

We have dedicated gunsmith hours. Please take a look at our website for specific details. CZs are no problem.

I'm not sure what the original business was in the building, but it was industrial and already owned by owner. Likely a warehouse of some sort.

Old 12-31-2015, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNinja View Post
Maybe it was because of the holidays? Everyone's relaxing and out?
I am sure that was part of it, but seeing all the new employees was encouraging.
Old 12-31-2015, 7:42 AM

Quote:
I am sure that was part of it, but seeing all the new employees was encouraging.
Indeed!
Old 01-10-2016, 10:31 PM

As someone who has been a member since before you opened, I still think you have the best range in the area. But there are still a few things that could be improved rather easily. My wish list for the new year:
Better air circulation in the ranges. It's hot as balls in there.
Better phone system. It's almost impossible to reach anyone
Open earlier, 11am is just too late.
More classes more often
Larger tables behind the firing line, those small tables are not big enough when the range fills up.
Get some dang 9mm milwall already! Geez lol
Old 01-12-2016, 1:31 PM

Just in time. The Glock Shooting Sports Foundation will be hosting their Indoor League at SGC!!! See the link below for details.

Glock Shooting Sports Foundation Indoor League hosted by SGC

Old 03-02-2016, 7:10 PM

I absolutely love being a member of the SGC! My wife is new to shooting and feels very comfortable there. The staff is outstanding! Really enjoy spending time there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2016, 10:13 PM

"Shooters must shoot a GLOCK handgun."

Pass. Some things just aren't worth it.
Old 03-09-2016, 9:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
"Shooters must shoot a GLOCK handgun."
Pass. Some things just aren't worth it.
But.......you'll miss your chance to win a GLOCK.....
Old 03-09-2016, 10:45 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippmorrill View Post
I absolutely love being a member of the SGC! My wife is new to shooting and feels very comfortable there. The staff is outstanding! Really enjoy spending time there!
Amen to this. I joined last November as an absolute NUBEE to firearms (well, at least for the last 41 years), but the one thing about SGC is that they treat everyone, members or not, experienced or not, with respect. Its a fantastic environment, and the RSOs are great. I hope the club exists as long as I do.

Ron
Old 03-11-2016, 3:36 PM

Thanks for the kind words, folks. I happen to see kipp quite a bit and hope to put faces to boardnames for the rest of you soon.

Stay safe and happy shooting.

Old 04-04-2016, 9:14 AM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

How's doing PPT through them? Do they show little resentment or friendly and welcoming?
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

******* Consider your final destiny, there is no second chance there. *******
Old 04-04-2016, 11:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barang View Post
How's doing PPT through them? Do they show little resentment or friendly and welcoming?
I did one there a few months ago. They were happy to help. No hassle, buyer inspected the gun at the counter while the emp started the paperwork. I handed the buyer all the mags and accessories in a ziplock bag. Quick, easy, friendly. I 'think' the buyer brought his own lock but I don't remember that for sure.

BTW, I wasn't a member.
Old 04-04-2016, 1:31 PM
Veteran Member

I had the same experience with a PPT I did there just after opening.
Old 04-04-2016, 2:08 PM

We're more than happy to facilitate the PPT. Please ensure that both parties have their required documentation upon arrival as we will not initiate the paperwork if either party is unprepared for the transaction.

Note that we are next to a school so the GFSZA laws apply; lock all firearms in cases with exception to your permitted carry(ies). Calguns and the OAG website are excellent resources for current laws and what is required under various situations.

If the buyer requires an FSC, please allow for ample time to do so or have the buyer come in ahead of the seller to acquire one.

Out of courtesy for buyer and seller peace of mind, we encourage that you handle your monetary or barter exchange inside the facility instead of outside. The "if we exchange inside you'll charge tax" is FUD and does not apply to CA PPT. You shouldn't use FFLs that spread that nonsense.

See you soon.

Old 04-04-2016, 4:18 PM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

Thanks for sharing ElDUb and CH. Happy to hear stories like these.

To SGC: Great to know and to have an FFL willing to facilitate PPT. Also, allowing money transfer in the building between the buyer and seller is awesome.
You just won a new patron. Appreciate it and thank you.
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

Old 04-04-2016, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacramento Gun Club View Post
We're more than happy to facilitate the PPT. Please ensure that both parties have their required documentation upon arrival as we will not initiate the paperwork if either party is unprepared for the transaction.

Note that we are next to a school so the GFSZA laws apply; lock all firearms in cases with exception to your permitted carry(ies). Calguns and the OAG website are excellent resources for current laws and what is required under various situations.

If the buyer requires an FSC, please allow for ample time to do so or have the buyer come in ahead of the seller to acquire one.

Out of courtesy for buyer and seller peace of mind, we encourage that you handle your monetary or barter exchange inside the facility instead of outside. The "if we exchange inside you'll charge tax" is FUD and does not apply to CA PPT. You shouldn't use FFLs that spread that nonsense.

See you soon.
Interesting that you did not share that you now have VERY LIMITED days/hours that you are willing to perform a PPT. They just sprang this new rule a few weeks ago, though I STILL do not see it on the website, they have NOT notified members of this change and have made no mention of it on this forum.
If you are considering a PPT at Sac Gun Club...I recommend you call and get the current days/times they are now willing to do them, as I recall it was very limited. I also recommend you get the name of the person you talk to, as they have a bad habit of not communicating with each other and I have often heard different rules from different employees.
Old 04-04-2016, 5:49 PM

I think SGC is a great place to shoot, but I did a PPT there maybe a month ago and the employee was less than friendly during the transaction. I get that PPTs are a pain, but the employee acting as if my transaction was a hassle was a tough pill to swallow. I guess the writing was on the wall about the upcoming changes. For what it is worth, everything else I have done there has been great.
Old 04-04-2016, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Interesting that you did not share that you now have VERY LIMITED days/hours that you are willing to perform a PPT. They just sprang this new rule a few weeks ago, though I STILL do not see it on the website, they have NOT notified members of this change and have made no mention of it on this forum.
If you are considering a PPT at Sac Gun Club...I recommend you call and get the current days/times they are now willing to do them, as I recall it was very limited. I also recommend you get the name of the person you talk to, as they have a bad habit of not communicating with each other and I have often heard different rules from different employees.
This has been my experience as well. I enjoy shooting at SGC and have had positive experiences there but prior to a PPT, I would call first to verify. Not a huge deal but something to keep in mind.
Old 04-04-2016, 9:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMIS300 View Post
This has been my experience as well. I enjoy shooting at SGC and have had positive experiences there but prior to a PPT, I would call first to verify. Not a huge deal but something to keep in mind.
Quote:
The State's rules haven't changed....
Quote:
This Information Bulletin is intended to remind dealers of their obligations regarding private party transfers including the 10-day waiting period and the fees that firearms dealers are permitted by law to charge when conducting these transfers. Firearms dealers are required to conduct private party transfers pursuant to Penal Code section 12071(b)(5). Dealers may not limit the days or hours in which private party transfers are conducted.
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/ag...obuls/0101.pdf

Last edited by Dvrjon; 04-04-2016 at 9:57 PM..
Old 04-04-2016, 9:56 PM

Sounds like no one's been to the facility to handle a transaction in a while.

That policy was enacted by the former GM, was in place for about 1 week, then quickly dropped after I advised that it was illegal to have PPT dates/times. That was over 1 month ago.

You have to understand that investors, administration, and many employees are not necessarily the firearms enthusiasts as we Calguns members are (even then forum members are clueless about laws). It takes a bit of time for the ground level employees that know what they're doing to present findings and have them trickle up the chain of command. I said "former GM" for a reason.

Listen, I may be the SGC boardname admin, but I'm still a Calgunner with a private account. I've been here for far longer that many, am well in-tuned with legislation, and how it all works. I've guided multiple Calgunners, SGC members, and random folk through a number of processes and they've always left with additional knowledge. I've educated and prevented many from unknowingly committing felonies.

I will be glad to meet any of you directly the next time we are mutually there. Just ask for the Calguns account administrator and I'll speak to you as another Calgunner. If you don't tell me who you are on here then I'll assume there is nothing to talk about.

Last edited by Sacramento Gun Club; 04-04-2016 at 10:00 PM..
Old 04-04-2016, 10:39 PM

I advised the clerk that the policy was illegal as well, but I was treated like an idiot and was told that the policy had been approved by their legal department. Since then I have been doing my PPT in other places.

But I am glad the policy went away. I am also glad to see there is a new GM. Now I can only hope SGC will revert back to the original policy of UNLIMITED free internet FFL transfers that was in the original contract I signed and was verified by four different employees when I joined, and not just one per year which they pulled out of their rear several months after I signed up.
I love SGC, the range is great, the RSO's are super cool...but management needs to know I am not a fan of bait and switch. And yes I have mentioned this to employees there, but none have the power to do anything. Like said, the guys (and girls) in the range are awesome, but management has it's head up their azz.
Old 04-05-2016, 9:38 AM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacramento Gun Club View Post
.....That policy was enacted by the former GM, was in place for about 1 week, then quickly dropped after I advised that it was illegal to have PPT dates/times. That was over 1 month ago.
All is well and it's great to have you there putting everything on the right track.
Thank you for shedding light on some past issues. We'll be visiting the range soon.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:23 AM

Barang, give me a heads-up before you come in. I'm always happy to meet Calgunners.