Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2011, 1:32 PM
Veteran Member

Default Building a MAC-10/9 from a parts kit and receiver flat: Legality

I'm really interested in building a MAC-10 9mm from a kit and flat, but I can't seem to find any information about how to do this as a closed-bolt semi. Obviously a closed semi bolt is required but are there any other modifications that need to be done to the receiver (from a flat)?

Can I just drop in a semi FCG and bolt and be good to go?
Old 07-11-2011, 2:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I wish I knew..I have a MAC 10 9MM (raw) and it fires from an open bolt.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 07-11-2011, 2:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
I wish I knew..I have a MAC 10 9MM (raw) and it fires from an open bolt.
Lucky!
Old 07-11-2011, 2:38 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by chead View Post
I'm really interested in building a MAC-10 9mm from a kit and flat, but I can't seem to find any information about how to do this as a closed-bolt semi. Obviously a closed semi bolt is required but are there any other modifications that need to be done to the receiver (from a flat)?

yes, you can basically buy a semi-auto closed bolt flat or 3-piece weld together receiver, finish up the receiver, drop in your closed bolt parts and be good to go. You do need to transition through a roster-exempt configuration upon initial build.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 07-11-2011, 2:42 PM

I got a mac 11 closed bolt . I would love to build one they look very easy.
Old 07-11-2011, 6:07 PM
Veteran Member

So there's no lower receiver differences between FA and SMG? And is it okay to use an SMG kit for parts and a newly manufactured closed bolt and semi FCG? I don't see many dedicated semi kits, I assume because you can buy semi MACs (no need for a kit). I would far rather build from a kit and have something "classic", and the fun of bending and welding a flat! I'm going to need a few flats for the first two I will no doubt mess up haha.
Old 07-11-2011, 6:36 PM

Quote:
So there's no lower receiver differences between FA and SMG?
right, an SMG is FA. And an open-bolt semi receiver is basically the same as the FA/SMG receiver. A closed-bolt SA receiver is different.

Quote:
And is it okay to use an SMG kit for parts and a newly manufactured closed bolt and semi FCG?
if you wanted to. The only thing you would end up using would be the barreled upper and the magazine catch parts. No point in buying an SMG kit and replacing 50+% of the parts with SA parts.

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 07-11-2011, 6:50 PM
Veteran Member

Ack sorry, meant "different between SMG and SA". As I understand it, open bolt semis are NFA items, so I would need to go closed bolt. But is the closed bolt receiver different from the SMG/open bolt semi? None of the flats I'm looking at online seem to specify one way or the other and I don't know what to look for to determine which is which.
Old 07-11-2011, 6:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
if you wanted to. The only thing you would end up using would be the barreled upper and the magazine catch parts. No point in buying an SMG kit and replacing 50+% of the parts with SA parts.
I realize, I just want to do it myself. I have seen a few closed bolt semi upper kits, but they seem to be far rarer than the SMG kits, again I assume because people buying closed semis are doing so as complete guns, so there's not a lot of demand for receiver-less kits. I'm just looking forward to building it up myself, and replacing parts would actually be fun as part of the project just to see what does what. The MAC is a pretty simple gun, but when I'm done I want to feel like I "made" it, not just lego'd it together.
Old 07-11-2011, 7:02 PM

yes, the closed (CB) bolt semi receiver is different than the SMG/open bolt semi. the FCG has a different bolt pattern. If you find a flat, it must be a CB semi flat.

If you buy the weld-together receiver, the side plates must be undrilled or drilled with the CB hole pattern. The lower section of the receiver in the weld-together kit is interchangable between CB and OB/SMG.

the weld kit with the grip and trigger guard is interchangable.

Old 07-11-2011, 7:06 PM
Veteran Member

Ohh, that makes way more sense. Are there diagrams I can use? Is there a proper name for those stick-on guides for receivers that show where to drill the cb holes, etc?

e: The flats I'm looking at are literal "flats" with no holes, which means they have to be drilled for the cb semi action?
Old 07-11-2011, 7:09 PM

Quote:
I realize, I just want to do it myself. I have seen a few closed bolt semi upper kits, but they seem to be far rarer than the SMG kits, again I assume because people buying closed semis are doing so as complete guns, so there's not a lot of demand for receiver-less kits. I'm just looking forward to building it up myself, and replacing parts would actually be fun as part of the project just to see what does what. The MAC is a pretty simple gun, but when I'm done I want to feel like I "made" it, not just lego'd it together.
I understand what you are wanting to do, but just swapping out a bolt and FCG and throwing away that money doesn't sound like "fun". I would suggest calling the Mac-10 suppliers and just asking them if they have, or can make, a semi-auto kit for you. No point in spending ~$350 for a SMG parts kit, tossing the $90 FA bolt and all the FA FCG parts, spending another $125 for a SA bolt and whatever $$$ the SA FCG parts will cost. Call up Cobray or FTF and see what they can do for you. They do have stuff that they don't list on the websites.

Old 07-11-2011, 7:13 PM
Veteran Member

Oh dang I didn't even think of calling Cobray direct, they probably will have what I need.
Old 07-11-2011, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Ohh, that makes way more sense. Are there diagrams I can use? Is there a proper name for those stick-on guides for receivers that show where to drill the cb holes, etc?

e: The flats I'm looking at are literal "flats" with no holes, which means they have to be drilled for the cb semi action?
yes, there are probably "templates" out there for the drill pattern.

If you can find the pre-drilled sideplates that you weld to the center section, that might be easier.

Are you more interested in an Mac-10/9 vs an M-11/9. If you aren't stuck on a Mac-10/9 you might want to look around to see what kits are available for the other types

Quote:
Oh dang I didn't even think of calling Cobray direct, they probably will have what I need.
yup, or email them. I emailed both companies and got the basic info I needed before I picked up the phone and did a package deal for some kits.

Old 07-11-2011, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
yes, there are probably "templates" out there for the drill pattern.

If you can find the pre-drilled sideplates that you weld to the center section, that might be easier.

Are you more interested in an Mac-10/9 vs an M-11/9. If you aren't stuck on a Mac-10/9 you might want to look around to see what kits are available for the other types
In theory I'm okay with an 11/9 but I keep seeing great deals on kits for one or weld kits for the other. If the stars align and I find everything I need and want, I'll go for it regardless of it's a 10/9 or 11/9.

The side plate weld-up kits I've seen don't have any holes, but I assume that's just so you can use them for whatever. I guess in theory if you had a registered receiver SMG you could repair it with them.

Just to clarify: It is NOT legal to do an open-bolt semi, right? And the only ones available are grandfathered, considered machine guns, and now NFA items, correct?
Old 07-11-2011, 8:29 PM

Quote:
The side plate weld-up kits I've seen don't have any holes, but I assume that's just so you can use them for whatever. I guess in theory if you had a registered receiver SMG you could repair it with them.
I don't recall who had them, but they do offer the side plates predrilled for a CB semi, at least they did for the M11/9.

Quote:
Just to clarify: It is NOT legal to do an open-bolt semi, right? And the only ones available are grandfathered, considered machine guns, and now NFA items, correct?
correct.

Old 07-11-2011, 8:34 PM
Veteran Member

Okay, cool, that's what I sussed out, but it's weird that there isn't some good repository of non-NFA (or both) MACs out there. I assume subguns would be offended just at the idea of building a CB SA MAC
Old 07-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

How bent does a flat have to be before it's considered a receiver? Is flat with the sides bent but not the rear an "80%" or does any bending at all make an FFL necessary?
Old 01-20-2016, 11:58 AM

if your gonna go thru all that, find a used one and buy it already done. cheaper in the long run.
Old 01-20-2016, 6:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Do you mean a real MAC 10 or an M11/9?

The MAC 10 has a fixed firing pin and only fires from an open bolt. The M11/9 has a floating firing pin and a hammer.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 01-21-2016, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne View Post
Do you mean a real MAC 10 or an M11/9?

The MAC 10 has a fixed firing pin and only fires from an open bolt. The M11/9 has a floating firing pin and a hammer.

Whoah, thread resurrection!

M11/9, I was curious about what needs to be done to adapt a MAC 10 kit for a closed semi bolt and if that requires modification to the receiver (like the "blocking bar" used in semi Uzi kit builds).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 01-22-2016, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Whoah, thread resurrection!

I didn't notice that. Someone before me bumped the thread.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

Old 01-22-2016, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne View Post
I didn't notice that. Someone before me bumped the thread.

No problem, I'm still interested in the prospect
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
So suck it HK, If I wanted an $800 pistol with a crap trigger I would just go buy 2 Glocks.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:24 PM
retired Goon

Keep in mind that if you are attempting to do this now (post 01-01-2015), then, in order to be CA legal, it needs to be built as a dimensionally complaint (minimum 6" barrel length + minimum 10.5" overall length) bolt-action single-shot pistol or as a dimensionally complaint (minimum 6" barrel length + minimum 10.5" overall length) break-top/open single-shot pistol.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 01-23-2016, 7:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Keep in mind that if you are attempting to do this now (post 01-01-2015), then, in order to be CA legal, it needs to be built as a dimensionally complaint (minimum 6" barrel length + minimum 10.5" overall length) bolt-action single-shot pistol or as a dimensionally complaint (minimum 6" barrel length + minimum 10.5" overall length) break-top/open single-shot pistol.

But he did build it before 01-01-2015