Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-18-2020, 3:32 PM

Default KSG shotgun issues?

So i picked up a KSG from a seller here months back but it's doing something i don't think is normal ...everything works but... Each time i fire a round the foregrip cocks itself back so you better hold on. If i fire one handed the foregrip will cock back and eject the shell by it self. I've seen videos and other KSG guns don't do this. Is something broken or off?
Old 01-19-2020, 5:25 AM

Lucky you. Don't complain, old Winchester pumps have that unlocking feature as well, and is highly appreciated by their owners.

MidLife - "Just look at the bird. And swing smoothly to the shot. "

CaptainDick - " Faster! Faster! Faster! Don't think!
Old 01-19-2020, 9:04 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

What do you have attached to the foregrip - any vertical grips or lights?

Old 01-19-2020, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Yep my Mossberg can do that too while shooting full power loads. Should be considered a feature not a problem!
Old 01-19-2020, 1:09 PM

Perfectly normal. Everytime your shotgun is cocked, the slide will lock (unless you depress the lock) Otherwise, if your shotgun uncocked (meaning you pulled the trigger), then yes the slide will move down with gravity.
Old 01-21-2020, 1:48 PM

So I can see that your all trolling because I now know it should not be doing this. I have 8 pump shotguns and this is the only one that will cock it self and eject a round by itself? I have a Hi-Tech's KSG Compatible "Billet" Striker Pump Grip Handle i bought online that feels nice till you shot and that thing feels like a brass knuckle busting your hand. I'm trying to contact KelTec for support. To try and explain better, The foregrip launches back with Force by itself similar to a the bolt on a semi action shotgun. Pump-action shotgun foregrips should not do that once the trigger is pulled the foregrips should not do that, it should stay in place so that the operator can manually cycle the next round. On this shotgun the foregrip does not stay in place once the trigger is pulled but instead is thrown back with the bolt as the round is fired.

Last edited by VictimX; 01-21-2020 at 2:15 PM..
Old 01-21-2020, 2:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

my winchester sxp can do this.

it is actually a marketed feature. that it is the "fastest pump action" due to the recoil racking the pump back. i think they call it "inertia assisted action"

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...tguns/sxp.html

when taking it out to the trap range, i don't hold tightly on the pump and use that trick to empty the shotgun and fling that shell to my buddy next to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 01-21-2020, 2:33 PM
Veteran Member

Not trolling dude. Well Broken in shotguns sometimes do this. The guy you bought it from might have actually shot the thing.
Old 01-21-2020, 2:37 PM
Veteran Member

Does the fore grip slide back also?
If you hold the fore grip from coming back, will it still chamber the next round?
Old 01-21-2020, 6:49 PM

The Remy & Mossberg have a lock built into the system to prevent that from happening. The KSG should as well.

I have read that some people “remove” the lock/switch to mount a forward grip and other accessories.

Does your KSG have a working slide lock still?

Old 01-21-2020, 7:01 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Take the billet vertical grip off and see if the problem is still there.

I assume it only does this when you are not holding the foregrip or VFG? Because if it does, then you must also be pulling it back a bit before the shot, without realizing it.

Old 01-21-2020, 7:07 PM

The previous owner said he didn't use it much and that it wasn't doing what I'm describing. It's hard to test out what's wrong because snap caps don't mimic live rounds after firing. I need to go back to the range Saturday and test it out again.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:01 AM

I will hit the range Saturday to take a video showing the issue for documentation reasons. I'll post a link after.
Old 01-22-2020, 2:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It has a vicious recoil which makes it unpleasant to shoot
Old 01-22-2020, 2:14 PM

Built in bump stock!
Old 01-22-2020, 2:30 PM

I spent some time to get my Mossberg 500 to do this, It is a nice feature, man, you just need to learn how to use it.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:03 PM

The recoil isn't all that bad as I own calibers such as 44mag (3"barrel), 454 casull(2.5"barrel), 500sw(3"barrel), 50 beowulf(pistol), 338 lupua mag, etc so this isn't bad. I want control over when the gun is racked and how after speaking to the tech at KelTec they feel it is unsafe as it is now.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:41 PM

Just be happy yours cycle. My pos ksg jams every other shell. I wish I had a semi ksg
Old 01-25-2020, 3:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictimX View Post
So I can see that your all trolling because I now know it should not be doing this. I have 8 pump shotguns and this is the only one that will cock it self and eject a round by itself? I have a Hi-Tech's KSG Compatible "Billet" Striker Pump Grip Handle i bought online that feels nice till you shot and that thing feels like a brass knuckle busting your hand. I'm trying to contact KelTec for support. To try and explain better, The foregrip launches back with Force by itself similar to a the bolt on a semi action shotgun. Pump-action shotgun foregrips should not do that once the trigger is pulled the foregrips should not do that, it should stay in place so that the operator can manually cycle the next round. On this shotgun the foregrip does not stay in place once the trigger is pulled but instead is thrown back with the bolt as the round is fired.
All pump action shotguns have a slide release. This allows you to unload the gnu without firing it or pulling the trigger.

The bolt is held in battery by a locking lug, however as soon as the hammer falls that slide release is depressed by the hammer, and the locking lug is free to move down and out of battery. This all happens instantaneously.

If you hold onto the slide and push forward it won't do that.

If you take the trigger mechanism out of the gun you will see how it works and then you will understand why it does what it does.

As others have said,,, there is an advantage to this "Issue," in that as soon as the payload leaves the barrel the gun is effectively "unloaded!" It is up to you to reload the gun by racking the slide. What the "unlatching of the slide" does for you, is allow you to"Ride the Recoil" which effectively means that as soon as the hammer drops you are already racking the slide.

Thus the fastest way to operate a Pump Action Shotgun.

Don't worry, you can't beat the shot leaving the barrel, and the bolt is not going to be blown open. You still have to rack it. The fact that the slide will go backwards, and all of them will do it, means nothing. With the M500 and Rem 870 you pinch the Action Bars to prevent the slide from coming back like when you are shooting off a bench sighting the gun in.

They cover all of this in a Tactical Shotgun Class at Front Sight. You should look into it?

At Front Sight there is a part in the Skills Test where you must hit 2 targets in 1.7 seconds, 3 in 2.1 seconds, and 4 in 2.7 seconds. The 4 in 2.7 is not easy to do with a pump gun. I can get 3 every time, but have not gotten 4 in the allotted time. I can do it every time with my Browning A5, but it is a very fast Semi Auto.

The KSG's also require a very positive rearward slide manipulation in order to run smoothly.

The KSG's are not as easy to run as an 870 or M500 but the fact that they have so much ammo on board would be very handy in a fight. Since they are straitline recoil you will also feel more recoil.

Now,,, if you can rack the slide when the gun is cocked and in battery without depressing the Slide Release??? Then you've got a Mechanical Problem and it needs to go back.

hope this helps.

Randy

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-25-2020 at 3:51 PM..
Old 01-25-2020, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaglipay View Post
Just be happy yours cycle.
Rest assured, not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Now,,, if you can rack the slide when the gun is cocked and in battery without depressing the Slide Release??? Then you've got a Mechanical Problem and it needs to go back.
He hit the nail on the head...

Last edited by Boarhuntor; 01-25-2020 at 6:04 PM..
Old 01-25-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

hope this helps.

Randy
If i shake the foregrip a little it will release even when a round is chambered. Either way it is doing a lot of things it shouldn't be doing.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
If i shake the foregrip a little it will release even when a round is chambered.
I have a Winchester 1300 that operates in a similar manner (when fired). That said, you should NOT be able to open the action on a chambered shell without operating the release.. In other words, if simply shaking the foregrip unlocks it - then you need to get on the phone to Keltech and get their advice on how to move forward.
Old 01-26-2020, 6:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If i shake the foregrip a little it will release even when a round is chambered. Either way it is doing a lot of things it shouldn't be doing.
Oh that's no bueno.

Contact Keltech
Old 01-26-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Either way it is doing a lot of things it shouldn't be doing.
LOL... it is not entirely correct. As much as i like keltec (but other products) this one actually does what KSG should be doing - malfunctioning.
And i'm almost 100% positive that the previous owner had this issue and just sold the gun not willing to deal with this "surprise box".

Anyways, if you can move the forend before pulling the trigger, send it back, the only problem you do not have the warranty.

Last edited by Boarhuntor; 01-26-2020 at 10:20 AM..