Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-21-2013, 8:39 PM

Default AAR LMS Defense Home Defense 16-17 Feb 2013

On 16-17 February 2013 LMS Defense hosted our Home Defense course at our Northern California Training Center in Oroville. We had eight students with a variety of prior life and training experience, however all of them met or exceeded the prerequisite for the class of a two day basic pistol course from LMS Defense or another reputable training company. Although this is not a live fire training class it is imperative that the students understand safe firearms handling and weapons manipulations as there is a heavy force on force component.

WEATHER:
The weekend weather was amazing but this class had all of us inside using the different scenario based training rooms for the duration of the course. The training facility is climate controlled and indoors allowing for year round training regardless of the weather outside.

GUNS AND GEAR:
LMS Defense provided the weapons and safety equipment for force on force portions of the class although students are also allowed to bring their own personally owed airsoft guns to use. For this class we use airsoft gas blowback guns for the force on force training. It has been my experience that for many users the airsoft gun is just as effective as a paint marking round and exponentially less expensive. Students also brought their own flashlights for the lowlight portions of the class. Many found that although the technology in flashlights continues to advance and be available through more sources the switching methods on some of the lights available at big box stores can leave a lot to be desired.

TD1:
Training day one began with introductions and a safety brief in the classroom. After moving through the formalities of the morning we moved into the course curriculum. This class is a balance of classroom material and hands on problem solving. Student participation makes or breaks this class and the students made this class great. After discussing case law and breaking events down into three basic categories further discussion followed. Discussion included preplanning for different hazards in the home beyond being a victim of a home invasion. Mindset, security by design, equipment and weapon selections and all hazards approaches to home safety and security were covered in depth. The class then moved into an area set up as a furnished two bedroom apartment to practice CQB movement techniques. After a short lunch we reconvened in the classroom to discuss some other material as well as low light shooting and movement. The students were then tasked with beginning to employ the skills that they had learned thus far in a force on force scenario. Students then began to develop and implement their own skills and tactics throughout the afternoon in a variety of force on force scenarios.

TD2:
Training day two began at the training center. We quickly reviewed some of the course material from day one and moved into additional room clearing techniques. Family member rescues and communication was discussed and practiced. Through additional force on force scenarios students were exposed to situations that included shoot and no shoot scenarios as well as incorporated law enforcement interaction. Shortly after lunch a local TV news crew arrived to do a story on the class and several students had an opportunity to represent responsible trained firearms owners in a very positive light. The scenarios continued and students were repeatedly put to the test based on what they had learned. We had some great role players that made things at times frighteningly realistic. After running several scenarios the class met back in the training room for discussion of their home defense plans and some input and evaluation from staff.
Home Defense is one of my favorite courses to teach as it touches on so many areas and topics that students may face. I also enjoy this class because much of the class material is discussion based and as a result every class is different because of the lives and experiences of the students. This class was no exception and there was a great deal to be learned from some of the student’s life experiences. Having a climate controlled classroom and training environment is priceless even on mild weekends as wind and other factors are eliminated.

Thank you to all of the students that came out to train and to KHSL/KNVN News for covering the class and representing responsible firearms owners in a positive light.
Cell: (530)403-9420
Email: JoshJackson@LMSDefense.com
www.LMSDefense.com
Old 02-21-2013, 8:44 PM

KHSL/KNVN local news coverage of Home Defense

http://www.khsltv.com/content/localn...yTYQhCq7w.cspx
www.LMSDefense.com
Old 02-21-2013, 9:03 PM

Josh any plans for an AK class?
Old 02-21-2013, 9:15 PM

www.LMSDefense.com
Old 02-21-2013, 9:17 PM

@ gesundheit- We haven't had much interest for an AK class. If you have several friends that would like to get a date on the calendar, I'd be happy to do it. Both Jason Paletta and myself are familiar with AKs and would be happy to accomodate you using one in a Carbine class.
www.LMSDefense.com
Old 02-22-2013, 6:00 AM

Default INVALUABLE HOME DEFENSE COURSE

I took this course last July and found it outstanding. I recently became engaged, so my fiance and I decided to take this one together. The techniques we learned in this course enabled us to design and practice our home defense plan together. Josh provided several suggestions as to how to defend the house and protect ourselves until the police arrive. This course was particularly valuable for us as San Jose residents. When I moved to San Jose 19 years ago, it was considered the safest big city in America. As a result of budget cuts to our police force, that is no longer the case. We have recently had 2 men dealing drugs on the street in front of our house. The police have done what they can with the limited resources they have. There has also been a sharp increase in home invasions. It would be foolish for anyone to believe that the police are going to arrive soon enough to resolve a home invasion unless the homeowners are able to put up some sort of defense to stop or delay the invaders. I have a fair amount of weapons training, but my fiance had only the minimum required for the course. As a result, I was fairly comfortable facing the stressful scenarios we were given but not so for my fiance. Despite my fiance feeling that she was drinking from the proverbial training fire hose at times, Josh's instructional style enabled her to keep focused and comfortable enough for real learning to take place. In addition to great training, it was also a fun weekend for us. I believe that this course or one like it is a prerequisite for full certification as a "sheepdog."