Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-01-2013, 7:41 AM

For those that have been through the process recently... How long does it usually take to get an appointment? Or even a call back to set up the appointment?
Old 08-10-2013, 8:51 AM

Shasta Sheriff's Office is requiring proof of residency as well as training certificate at interview. Nothing has changed
Old 08-11-2013, 8:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker713 View Post
Shasta Sheriff's Office is requiring proof of residency as well as training certificate at interview. Nothing has changed
Shocking. And this is our "Constitutional", second amendment loving Sheriff.

Be sure to participate in the poll found in this link.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=788846

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08-11-2013, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker713 View Post
For those that have been through the process recently... How long does it usually take to get an appointment? Or even a call back to set up the appointment?
I didn't have to make an appointment. I just walked in and waited in line. I thought the process was real simple and showing proof of residency didn't kill me lol.
Old 08-12-2013, 6:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta Frog View Post
I didn't have to make an appointment. I just walked in and waited in line. I thought the process was real simple and showing proof of residency didn't kill me lol.
That was previous to changes in the Sheriff's proceedure earlier this year. Applications and interviews are done only by appointment.

http://www.co.shasta.ca.us/index/she.../CCW_Info.aspx

Quote:
We have changed our process for applying for a Carry Concealed Weapons Permit. For we now have an automated phone message for your convenience. The systems allows you to leave your information and a Record's clerk will call you back to set up your appointment. All new and renewals are done by appointments only. The Sheriff's Office hours for appointments are: Mondays and Tuesdays from 8:00am - 3:00pm

And while showing proof of residency didn't kill you, a peace officer stopping you without reasonable suspicion and seizing your property doesn't 'kill' people either, but their 4th amendment rights are no less violated. When they ask for proofs to a statement that is submitted under penalty of law, what they are really doing is conducting a search for evidence of a crime. Would you also offer up evidence against yourself during a traffic stop, just to make it go easier?

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 08-22-2013, 3:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Sheriff as Guest on KCNR 1460am Radio

http://kcnr1460.com/media/podcasts/F...2013-08-21.mp3

Beginning of the segment with Sheriff Bosenko is at 1: 09: 54

If you listen to the whole segment, you can hear that he is anxious to cover specific information, even noting the shortness on time near the end of the program. When the host directs the interview towards military equipment, Sheriff Bosenko redirects the final moments of the program back to 'CCW' at 1: 52: 47, a topic which they had already covered.

He adds that applicants must show that they are permanent residents and that is part of the law.

Not really.

In fact, the issue of residency appears only in 26150(a)(3) (and 26155(a)(3) for city police chiefs) and the statute does not say that proof must be provided by the applicant. It also doesnt say anything about 'permanent' or 'permanancy' or indicate the duration an applicant must be a resident. In fact, the statute indicates that the applicant neednt be a resident AT ALL, provided the applicant spends a 'subtantial' amount of time when their employment or business is in the county of issuance.

After listening to the broadcast, I am convinced of two conclusions;

1) Sheriff Bosenko is campaigning for his office and using these broadcast opportunities to tout the issuance of nearly 5,000 carry licenses as a reason to re-elect him. I can tell you that if he actually supported the second amendment with a "Shall Issue" policy, unencumbered with a time-consuming interview process, that number would (and should) be more than three times that number. If 5,000 licenses is a reason to re-elect him, then the 16 months it took his office to reform his carry license policies to comply with SB610 is proportionately, a reason not to.

2) Sheriff Bosenko continues to abuse his discretion by maintaining requirements that are incongruous to California state law. Either he does not understand 26150(a)(3) or is knowingly imposing his discretion in spite of his understanding of the law.

Old 08-22-2013, 3:41 PM

LOL, I just keep my nose clean and my mouth shut and never had any problems. I'm just one guy out of like 80,000+ in this area. I don't live in fear that the cops are out to get me.
Old 08-22-2013, 5:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
LOL, I just keep my nose clean and my mouth shut and never had any problems. I'm just one guy out of like 80,000+ in this area. I don't live in fear that the cops are out to get me.
Please tell me what the **** that has to do with the Sheriff's carry license policy.

Old 08-22-2013, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
Please tell me what the **** that has to do with the Sheriff's carry license policy.
LOL, Paranoid much? Its ok calm down your guns are fine. Proof of residency isn't going to kill you.
Old 08-22-2013, 6:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
Shasta county dragging their feet and using "budget cuts and lack of staff to process requests" as an excuse.
the increase of applicants is swamping the Sheriffs office staff. 2002 you could walk in and get your ccw renewed and now you have to get an appointment. The Sheriff [Bosenko]is about as pro 2nd amendment as pro 2nd amendment can be. Yes the law must be followed.
Old 08-22-2013, 6:16 PM
Calguns Addict

To add Sheriff Bosenko is up for reelection next year. He is pro gun and would be the best person to have as the Sheriff. Sent $$$ to his reelection campaign.
Old 08-22-2013, 8:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
LOL, Paranoid much? Its ok calm down your guns are fine. Proof of residency isn't going to kill you.
You must also take no issue with the TSA grundel grope and searches without your consent. The Sheriff's requirement is unlawful and applicants should not comply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
the increase of applicants is swamping the Sheriffs office staff. 2002 you could walk in and get your ccw renewed and now you have to get an appointment. The Sheriff [Bosenko]is about as pro 2nd amendment as pro 2nd amendment can be. Yes the law must be followed.
What if I told you that he has not only revoked carry licenses for 1st amendment reasons, but also denied for reasons other than residency, 'good cause' and 'good moral charcter'?

And in spite of his vocal support of SB610, failed to take substantive action to reform his policies to conform to state law without the pestering of his favorite 'constituent' and threat of litigation.

What if I told you that the appointment system is not due to a greater workload or a DOJ backlog, but to adhere to a policy to wring out every applicant through an interview process that would be wholly unnecessary if the Sheriff adopted a 'shall issue' policy for carry licenses?

Is that what a robust second amendment candidate should do? Does that sound as 'pro second amendment as pro second amendment can be'?

If so, your metric is biased, because it does not include Sheriffs like Glenn Palmer of Grant County, Oregon (who has no such requirements). Or any Sheriff from a shall issue state who either will not or cannot impose his discretion upon the licensing process.

I believe Sheriff Bosenko perpetuates a fraud upon his 2A constituents. It is a facade built upon membership with the NRA, support of the GOC and the pretense that issuing any licenses is an indicator of his belief in a fundemental right to keep and bear. His policies expose the reality of his statist roots- the second amendment is fine for only those with his blessing.

If you take exception to the Sheriff not conforming to the law, it is your obligation to advise him that requiring things that are unlawful isnt okay with you.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:13 PM

As an 18 year old who is manufacturing his own AR Pistol, as well as being family transferred a pistol, i am disappointed in our sherrif's decision not to issue CCW permits to 18 year olds, even though there is nothing in state law to prohibit this.

Does anyone else in Shasta county have experience with this?
Old 10-19-2013, 6:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutcamper View Post
As an 18 year old who is manufacturing his own AR Pistol, as well as being family transferred a pistol, i am disappointed in our sherrif's decision not to issue CCW permits to 18 year olds, even though there is nothing in state law to prohibit this.

Does anyone else in Shasta county have experience with this?
Has anyone been the target of the arbitrary application of the sheriff's unlimited discretion in Shasta County? Absolutely.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I went to their CCW webpage (http://www.co.shasta.ca.us/index/she.../CCW_Info.aspx) and their linked Criteria & Requirements .pdf has the below. What is clearly missing is any mention of either GC or GMC.

Quote:
CRITERIA FOR APPLYING FOR A CCW PERMIT IN SHASTA COUNTY:
• Must be 21 years of age or older.
• Must be a permanent resident of Shasta County.
• If applicant served in the Armed Forces of the United States, they must provide a copy of
military records/discharge form (DD214) at the time of initial interview.
• You must bring the firearms you intend to put on your CCW permit to the Sheriff’s
Office, UNLOADED, magazines removed (No ammunition can be attached to the firearm) and placed in a lock box or locked gun case.
(emphasis in original)

Has anyone applied in Shasta Co w/the SO since the Peruta decision last Feb (2014)? If so, how did it go? Are they issuing with mere "self-defense" as the GC statement?
Old 01-25-2016, 7:26 PM

Sorry for the zombie thread, but I thought I would post some info. I just made my appointment a few days ago, 2nd week of March was the first available appointment. NOTE: Shasta county only does interviews on Monday and Tuesday from 9-3, so not a wide window....

I was then told that after my interview it would be 60-90 days before my permit was issued.

Apparently the Shasta county sheriffs office is so backlogged with permits that someone just applying today is essentially 6 months out from a permit, assuming a perfect timeline. Seems to me that if they are that backed up its time to hire more people.
Old 01-25-2016, 7:42 PM
Vendor/Retailer

You must not be in the "good ol boy" network?
Someone that knows someone would be fast tracked.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderSpade View Post
You must not be in the "good ol boy" network?
Someone that knows someone would be fast tracked.
Apparently not, I am just average citizen, took the class, called for appointment next day, and got the timeline I laid out above from the person on the phone.
Old 11-03-2016, 5:18 PM

Question for fellow Shasta county CCWers: Am I strictly limited to 3 handguns on my permit? Is there an option to to add more weapons for an additional fee?

Thought I would ask here before calling the Sheriff's office.
Old 11-03-2016, 5:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Shasta County 6 (CCW) guns an climbing & yes you can add more if CCW has not expired $10 per, when renewing, add for free.
Old 11-03-2016, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post
Shasta County 6 (CCW) guns an climbing & yes you can add more if CCW has not expired $10 per, when renewing, add for free.
It's up to 6? When did that change? I received my permit in June, and at that time, it was limited to 3.

This is fantastic news if accurate!
Old 11-04-2016, 5:34 AM
Calguns Addict

I was told by instructor that I was G2G on this now, they will ask you what for, you'll say SD, so there you go, your welcome.
Old 11-04-2016, 7:45 AM

Sheriff Bosenko is terrific when it comes to CCW. I wish Sonoma Co. would follow, but I think we'll see pigs in flight first.
Old 11-06-2016, 6:25 AM
Calguns Addict

If you are renewing, be sure to have your certificate and application in at least 3 weeks in advance of your license expiry.

I handed mine in on the 1st, and the clerk said come back in 20 days. I replied that my license expires on the 18th, and asked if I could pick it up then. Nope. There are just two clerks working licensing and she said I wouldn't be able to carry for four days.(Apparently, I wont be able to pick it up until the following Tuesday.)

This is what you get when you trade a right for a privilege- a bureaucratic slow walk with something that is fundamentally yours, rented to you by a statist who silently hates the constitution. Kinda makes me want to keep my money and wear my pistols however I please without the inconvenience of permission.

Old 11-06-2016, 6:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterimage View Post
It's up to 6? When did that change? I received my permit in June, and at that time, it was limited to 3.

This is fantastic news if accurate!
The sheriff cannot limit the number of firearms on the license. If the clerk tells you this she is wrong. The instructor at my last class indicated that he is aware of licensees with as many as seven on their license.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
The sheriff cannot limit the number of firearms on the license. If the clerk tells you this she is wrong. The instructor at my last class indicated that he is aware of licensees with as many as seven on their license.
I am in a really pissed off mood. I called the Sheriff's office this morning and asked about their policy with regard to how many pistols I can have on my permit.

They didn't give me a number but the person who I spoke to informed me that all I have to do is show up with my weapon and for a fee of $10, they will add it to my permit.

So, I lug my backside down there with the revolver I want to add.

Lady behind the counter: Hello, sir. How can I help you?

Me: I'm here to add another weapon to my permit.

Her: How many weapons are currently on your permit?

Me: Three

Her: It is up to the Sheriff's discretion whether or not you'll be able to do so. It's about a 3 week process.

Me: That's not what I was told this morning when I called. I'm assuming it was you that I spoke to.

Her: It wasn't me, but that is the policy. I can remove one of your weapons from your permit and add the one you brought in right now.

Me: No thanks.

I turned around (with a room full of people waiting to be interviewed for their CCWs) and said, "Bull****!" in a voice loud enough to be heard by everyone.
I wasted a good portion of my day for nothing. I was pissed!

I do not appreciate being given false information! Especially from law enforcement!
Old 08-25-2018, 7:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Has anyone asked if/when the Sheriff's Office will switch to online applications/renewals? If so, what did they say?

It's a good way for the sheriff to save time, money and effort/staff time in processing apps. Easier for applicants too, speeding up the process and it's especially helpful for renewals since those can be done entirely online from home.

Just trying to eliminate needless bottlenecks in the process.