Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Shasta

Shasta County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms can be found Here

Update from Citadel on recent Shasta County changes:
  • The tangible wins beyond the issuance of a license are;
  • License fees due were paid only upon issuance of the license.(Per SB610)
  • Fees for LiveScan/DOJ having been previously paid, were not required for a subsequent re-application.(PC26185)
  • No documentation for proof of residency was provided or necessary.
  • Self-defense was accepted as 'good cause' - no other statement was necessary.

Last edited by Gray Peterson; 11-30-2012 at 6:07 PM..
Old 10-18-2010, 6:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Not very difficult to get a CCW here, although the interview takes longer than it should, asking way too many questions and fishing for questionable stuff. Also, they won't let you put more than 3 guns on your license... I'd really like to see that restriction go away!

Everyone who lives in Shasta Co. has no excuse for not getting a CCW.
Old 10-18-2010, 6:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcalidave View Post
Not very difficult to get a CCW here, although the interview takes longer than it should, asking way too many questions and fishing for questionable stuff. Also, they won't let you put more than 3 guns on your license... I'd really like to see that restriction go away!

Everyone who lives in Shasta Co. has no excuse for not getting a CCW.
While you are correct in most cases it is not as difficult to get a license to carry concealed here, that in no way relieves the Shasta County Sheriff's office, the Redding Police Department and the Anderson Police of their obligation to follow the law.

There are certain things that the S.O. will need to change to maintain good standing with CGF and the people of Shasta County.

Everyone in Shasta County should be able to obtain and hold a license to carry, but unfortunately that isnt always the case.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 10-20-2010, 10:06 PM

"Everyone in Shasta County should be able to obtain and hold a license to carry"

I don't know, there are some people here that I would not want to have a gun at all, let alone concealed.

I get your meaning though.
Old 10-21-2010, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
There are certain things that the S.O. will need to change to maintain good standing with CGF and the people of Shasta County.
I'll bite... what certain things need to change? Not trolling, just curious.
Old 10-21-2010, 4:27 AM

The three gun max on your permit, the one year proof of residency requirement, etc. all need to go away.
Old 10-22-2010, 1:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomper4x4 View Post
"Everyone in Shasta County should be able to obtain and hold a license to carry"

I don't know, there are some people here that I would not want to have a gun at all, let alone concealed.

I get your meaning though.
This type of comment really bothers me. The people that you don't want to have a gun on them? They already do.
Old 10-24-2010, 6:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalDoc View Post
I'll bite... what certain things need to change? Not trolling, just curious.
I quote from the policy statement;

Quote:
CRITERIA FOR APPLYING FOR A C.C.W. PERMIT IN SHASTA COUNTY
  • Must be 21 years of age or older.
  • Must be a United States Citizen.
  • Must be a permanent resident of Shasta County for a (Minimum of 1 year) prior to applying for your permit.
Then... there is the three weapon limit.

The age, citizenship, and residency requirements are not authorized by statute and should be challenged.

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 11-08-2010, 7:21 PM

Since the Shasta County CCW application specifies that the information is public, what is taking so long to get the information posted on the CalGuns website?
Old 11-08-2010, 8:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock6.3 View Post
Since the Shasta County CCW application specifies that the information is public, what is taking so long to get the information posted on the CalGuns website?
Shasta county dragging their feet and using "budget cuts and lack of staff to process requests" as an excuse.

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 11-18-2010, 8:52 PM

Please scan and post the response that was sent by the Shasta County Sheriffs office and we can begin to apply local pressure.
Old 11-20-2010, 1:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Please scan and post the response that was sent by the Shasta County Sheriffs office and we can begin to apply local pressure.
Thank you for your willingness to step up to the plate. If you have signed up as a volunteer we will be sending out an email with very specific instructions on how to proceed when the time is right. I can assure you that there will be no hesitation when the time comes for us to begin applying pressure.

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 11-22-2010, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
If you have signed up as a volunteer
Sorry, I do not know how or where to perform that task. Can someone point me the right direction?
Old 11-22-2010, 3:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

www.calgunsfoundation.org/volunteer

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 AM

Rumor: Shasta county will not accept your CCW Training Class unless it was completed within the two prior months of your CCW application date. If you wait more than 2 months after completing your class then you can expect to be instructed to take your class again.

This was reported as a recent policy change.

Note: I've contributed as a sponsor in hopes that it helps make Shasta County move along a bit faster.

Last edited by Rock6.3; 01-04-2011 at 12:41 PM..
Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

Good gravy, I thought Shasta Co. was all but "Shall Issue"! What needs to be done "faster"?
Old 01-05-2011, 8:44 AM

My comment regarding Shasta County/faster is in reference to their failure, thus far, to submit the CCW good cause statements that were requested by CalGuns.
Old 01-05-2011, 9:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
Good gravy, I thought Shasta Co. was all but "Shall Issue"! What needs to be done "faster"?
There is no issuing agency in California to my knowledge that either fully respects the 2A or qualifies as a "shall issue" licensing agency. Shasta County is not excluded from the list of agencies that deserve the attention of the Calguns Foundation.

Old 01-05-2011, 9:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
There is no issuing agency in California to my knowledge that either fully respects the 2A or qualifies as a "shall issue" licensing agency. Shasta County is not excluded from the list of agencies that deserve the attention of the Calguns Foundation.
The operative phrase was "all but Shall Issue".
Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 AM

I understand from Shasta Shooters, Sheriff Palmer was stopping in town for the Oregon CCW. Unfortunately, I didn't see my mail, as it was in the junk pile for some unknown reason.. Did this already happen and if so, does anyone know if he will re appear anytime soon?
Old 01-17-2011, 8:21 AM

This discussion is far too quiet....
Old 01-17-2011, 8:57 AM

While the Sheriff does want to Cover His A _ _ by making sure that he follows the letter of the law, and this may cause extra steps/time, the bottom line is he supports CCW's and we should, in turn, support him. Ask those in SoCal as to what it is like down there... A bit of patience and perseverance and as long as you are clean you will get the permit. Gone are the days of a quick chat with Pope. Now a laminated card would be nice.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchutt View Post
While the Sheriff does want to Cover His A _ _ by making sure that he follows the letter of the law, and this may cause extra steps/time
Opinion or do you have access to information that is not visible to the rest of us?
Old 01-17-2011, 1:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
While the Sheriff does want to Cover His A _ _ by making sure that he follows the letter of the law, and this may cause extra steps/time, the bottom line is he supports CCW's and we should, in turn, support him. Ask those in SoCal as to what it is like down there... A bit of patience and perseverance and as long as you are clean you will get the permit. Gone are the days of a quick chat with Pope. Now a laminated card would be nice.
The Sheriff is not needful to cover their ***, because they are not liable---- unless the Sheriff themself is guilty of a bad act.

Breaking the law a little is just as bad as breaking the law alot. It is however, much worse, to claim that they are extending the full benefit of the 2A under the pretense of authority, while punishing those with whom they disagree by using a license to carry as the means to control their actions.

I contend that such people are in violation of the Oath they took to support and defend the Constitution of the United States and are unworthy of the office they hold. The applies in southern California as well as it does right here in Shasta County.

Old 01-20-2011, 2:49 PM

Quote:
While the Sheriff does want to Cover His A _ _ by making sure that he follows the letter of the law, and this may cause extra steps/time
WChutt: Is this your opinion or do you have access to information that is not visible to the rest of us?
Old 01-20-2011, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The Sheriff is not needful to cover their ***, because they are not liable---- unless the Sheriff themself is guilty of a bad act.
The sheriff has to cover his POLITICAL butt, otherwise the next guy in may not think CCW is such a great idea.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Default A license to carry is neither a carrot, nor a stick.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Stanislaus View Post
The sheriff has to cover his POLITICAL butt, otherwise the next guy in may not think CCW is such a great idea.
Quoted for your reading convenience. It seems to me that you are taking my response out of context.

While the Sheriff generally supports issuance, politics has no bearing on how he follows the law. An issuing agency cannot use licensing as a tool to compel performance or as a means of punishment for otherwise lawful activity.

Old 02-07-2011, 1:09 PM

Still looking for facts that are specific to Shasta County...
Old 02-16-2011, 11:03 AM

The silence is unbearable!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The silence is unbearable!
Agreed.

The interesting thing about Shasta County, is that it is the least expected battlefield in the war, because it is generally assumed that the Sheriff is '2A' friendly, will issue, and abides by the law. This may be in part be why there isnt alot of attention to the topic of CCW policy here.

Funny thing is, it's not going to stay that way if I have anything to do with it.

Last edited by CitaDeL; 02-22-2011 at 10:01 AM..
Old 02-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Calguns Addict

I have updated my sig line to include my sponsorship of the CCW initiative in Shasta County.

I have recently affirmed that Shasta County is not as 2A friendly as many purport and is not a 'shall issue' county.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I know the sheriff just well enough to get a pass on CCW, but probably not well enough to influence him toward shall issue. But if there is anything I can do to help I’ll try.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:13 AM

Anyone know when a show near by this area, will have the Sheriff present? Sac maybe, Yuba City??
Old 02-26-2011, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4D5auto View Post
Anyone know when a show near by this area, will have the Sheriff present? Sac maybe, Yuba City??
Why would the Shasta County Sheriff go to a show in Sac or Yuba?
Old 02-26-2011, 1:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4D5auto View Post
Quote:
Why would the Shasta County Sheriff go to a show in Sac or Yuba?
I think 4D5auto was attempting to find out when Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer would be making a return trip through the north state to make Oregon non-resident CHL's available to applicants. This would not be germain to the Shasta County issuance of LTC.

Old 03-01-2011, 7:22 AM

Back on topic, what's up with the Shasta County daylight project? (I see we now have two sponsors)
Old 03-03-2011, 5:10 PM
Calguns Addict

So- has the Sheriff's Office made any progress with providing the materials requested by CPRA?

Old 03-03-2011, 9:00 PM

Hey Rock, sorry for the post and run… It is my experience with past sheriffs and the current one that in the past it was a breeze to get a CCW, but now there is all the training/paperwork requirements. It is my opinion that the Sheriff takes it as a personal responsibility to follow the current laws concerning issuance of a CCW in Ca. Could be simply political CYA like KidS posted, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt. What would lead you to believe he does not support CCW?
That said, I understand CitaDels point on upholding the Constitution, specifically the 2A that gives individuals RTKBA protection from the Feds and the 14A P or I clause that applies those same protections against the states. But, I have not heard of anyone who has been denied here that has a clean record.
Until the whole state has constitutional carry, or at least is “Shall Issue” I would like to see Shasta County follow Sacs lead and have self defense as a good cause and allow more guns on a plastic card instead of the paper form.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:42 PM

Wchutt, you asked "What would lead you to believe he (Shasta County Sheriff) does not support CCW?"

Reply: The lack of a response to the CalGuns request for information. Information which is listed as releasable on the Sheriff website.

Additionally I dislike the 3 gun limit.
Old 03-04-2011, 3:21 PM

I too dislike the three gun thing, dislike the paper permit even more. That the Sheriffs office is slow in responding to the request for the cause statements does not mean that he has not actually supported those who have requested permits.
If the sheriff’s office is issuing permits to those people who apply and have no hang-ups legally, I see that as supporting the right to carry. If there are cases where people have been denied ONLY because of inadequate good cause statements, that would change my opinion, but I have not heard of that being the case.