Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-09-2012, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
If the dude can afford a US Optics 1-4x with a DFP reticle, there is no reason to get the Eotech... its not even in the same league... that is one high end scope.

If he wants an Eotech to save money, then thats a different story.
Now is the extra $$$ worth it going with the US Optics compared to say the Burris xtr, trijicon, viper pst, swfa ?
Old 05-09-2012, 7:50 PM
Calguns Addict

That's a good question, because I am asking myself the same thing... Its about the top end of my optics budget. I would love the 1-8x version but the price is killing me.

"Worth it" might vary from person to person... It all depends on what you expect from the optic.

I watched a couple videos last night on the US Optics durability, sounds like we are in ACOG territory here... that's a selling point to me.

I love my low to mid variable scopes, it would also replace my Viper PST.

I really like RDS units like Eotechs and Aimpoints, but ONLY for CQB work, I really don't like target shooting with them. USO gives me that ability.

It also has a FFP reticle, which typically puts regular optics in a whole different price class. None of the optics we are looking at here have one, except the SWFA SS HD?

If I can have all of those things in one optic, then to me, its worth it. It can fill a lot of different applications for me... Price is the biggest downside, but it brings a lot of stuff to the table.

The biggest thing for me is ive graduated away from the "hold over" type scopes with a set BDC. I don't care much for the Burris reticles for example, I know how to use and can appreciate a matched turret/recitle. FFP is icing on the cake, but it seems to make more sense in the 1-8x model. If I am taking shots farther out, im going to be at 4x anyways, a SFP would have been fine in a scope like this if it was going to save me some money.

I wont jump into something like this without taking the time to check one out... when I have time, I will stop by the US Optics factory and see if this thing is going to be right for me.
Old 05-09-2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:
That's a good question, because I am asking myself the same thing... Its about the top end of my optics budget. I would love the 1-8x version but the price is killing me.

"Worth it" might vary from person to person... It all depends on what you expect from the optic.

I watched a couple videos last night on the US Optics durability, sounds like we are in ACOG territory here... that's a selling point to me.

I love my low to mid variable scopes, it would also replace my Viper PST.

I really like RDS units like Eotechs and Aimpoints, but ONLY for CQB work, I really don't like target shooting with them. USO gives me that ability.

It also has a FFP reticle, which typically puts regular optics in a whole different price class. None of the optics we are looking at here have one, except the SWFA SS HD?

If I can have all of those things in one optic, then to me, its worth it. It can fill a lot of different applications for me... Price is the biggest downside, but it brings a lot of stuff to the table.

The biggest thing for me is ive graduated away from the "hold over" type scopes with a set BDC. I don't care much for the Burris reticles for example, I know how to use and can appreciate a matched turret/recitle. FFP is icing on the cake, but it seems to make more sense in the 1-8x model. If I am taking shots farther out, im going to be at 4x anyways, a SFP would have been fine in a scope like this if it was going to save me some money.

I wont jump into something like this without taking the time to check one out... when I have time, I will stop by the US Optics factory and see if this thing is going to be right for me.

yeah this is all giving me a headache, I've just been reading and reading and I came accross the SWFA SS HD 1-4x earlier and it's looking to be a good competitor.

I haven't seen a review compared to the USO 1-4 though.

SWFA is doing a promo right now -200 off their new SWFA SS 1-6x, that brings it to almost the same price as their 1-4x.

now something new is on the table 1-4 or 1-6?
Old 05-09-2012, 8:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

IMO, USO blows the Super Sniper out of the water with their warranty, durability, general ruggedness, usability, and they're made right here in the good old U. S. of A!!! USO is the way to go if I had a Grand to drop on a scope for an AR.
Old 05-09-2012, 9:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaseshift View Post
yeah this is all giving me a headache, I've just been reading and reading and I came accross the SWFA SS HD 1-4x earlier and it's looking to be a good competitor.

I haven't seen a review compared to the USO 1-4 though.

SWFA is doing a promo right now -200 off their new SWFA SS 1-6x, that brings it to almost the same price as their 1-4x.

now something new is on the table 1-4 or 1-6?
You haven't seem many reviews comparing the two because not a lot of people will compare typical luxury car to an exotic vehicle... Its in two totally different price classes.

I would expect that USO scope to be something pretty amazing. If it wasn't I would be pretty pissed considering what it cost.

If you want to save a few bucks now and let time tell you what you want/need... The SS HD 1-6x at $200 off is pretty temping, $200 off is $200 off... worst case scenario, if you don't like it, you should at least be able to get your money back, hopefully.
Old 05-11-2012, 3:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
The pics are kind of crappy, they are cell phone pics. The USO SN8 is not available yet, but it will be SOON. That is one of the first prototypes in the pics.
True 1x with the option of a Daylight visible Red-dot in the RFP.
8x on the high end and a FFP reticle with the option to have the reticle lit too.
Please tell me they did NOT go with the push button illumination control. When I was looking for a scope I looked at USO and you could NOT push and hold to go from low-high or high to low illumination you had to click-click-click-click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click- 96 times to make a large adjustment. Just plain nuts if you ask me. A twist dial is so much more convenient.
Old 05-11-2012, 7:11 AM

Learn how to use iron sights first. A2 carry handle iron sight with the elevation adjustment to be specific. No batteries needed and to shoot to 500. And did I mention cheap.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Please tell me they did NOT go with the push button illumination control. When I was looking for a scope I looked at USO and you could NOT push and hold to go from low-high or high to low illumination you had to click-click-click-click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click--click-click- 96 times to make a large adjustment. Just plain nuts if you ask me. A twist dial is so much more convenient.
The first Push Button Rheostats had 64 settings. The new ones have 12 settings from High to Low.

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 05-11-2012, 6:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
The first Push Button Rheostats had 64 settings. The new ones have 12 settings from High to Low.
12 is better but a dial is preferred. Can you push and hold to go to max/min or do you still have to click 12x in a row?
Old 05-11-2012, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
12 is better but a dial is preferred. Can you push and hold to go to max/min or do you still have to click 12x in a row?
You have to push it each time. Its not really much of an issue because it remembers where you had it last set. If you like it on "8" then it stays on "8" when you turn it on, until you change it again.

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 08-21-2013, 5:39 AM

I wanted to revive this thread because I'm still looking to purchase optics.

The USO SN4 is discontinued, what took it's place?
Old 08-21-2013, 7:48 AM
Veteran Member

I'd go with the Bushnell SMRS 1-6.5X24 SFP with BTR-2 reticle. I think SFP is better on scopes with a wide magnification range like a 1-6.5X so you don't end up compromising function on one end of the magnification range (reticle either too thin, or too heavy). The BTR-2 has 10 mils of holdovers at max magnification, enough to get the 5.56 out to 800+ yards. At 1X, the large donut/dot setup should make for very rapid target aquisition much like a red dot sight.

http://www.bushnell.com/all-products...ated-btr-1-sfp

Here for $1120.63:
http://www.thedigitaloasis.com/BUS-E...J_p_18044.html
Old 08-21-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaseshift View Post
I wanted to revive this thread because I'm still looking to purchase optics.

The USO SN4 is discontinued, what took it's place?

USO has a new 1-4 coming out. Demos are already out now being tested. Should be added to the inventory in the near future but probably pricey like their other stuff. Have you checked Nightforce 1-4x24?
Old 09-02-2013, 9:32 AM

+1 for the 1-4x illuminated scopes. When set at 1x my Burris Mtac feels fast and easy like a red dot. Probably not as fast in cqb if u wanna crunch milliseconds but ill never know the difference. And 4x is easily sufficient for a few hundred yards depending on your eyesight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-04-2013, 12:27 PM

I'm in the same boat I have been researching scopes and can't decide what To go with. It's a standard 16 inch barrel and I just normally 55gr rounds. I use it mainly plinking and if need be small animals ( I live on a ranch) and home defense if need be. I normally shoot around 100-150 yards at the range. My question is what power scope should I be looking at? I like the small design I a red dot but I also want to be able to reach out father if need be. I'm not talking trying to beat any records just enough to compete with my buddies longer range rifles. Would I be able to see a target clearly with a 1x4 scope at say 300/400 yard range? Would a red dot with a magnifier be good enough to shoot out that far or is that pushing it?

I was originally looking at the leupold mark ar scope 3x9 but after reading some of the stuff mentioned here it seems like it might be over kill since I don't do far shooting and most of my shooting is messing around on my ranch shooting rocks on hills >=200 yards away.

Any thoughts

Also my dad just built a stock 20 inch barrel and is shooting the same ammo. With that length barrel what scope should he look into?
Old 09-29-2013, 9:51 PM
Vendor/Retailer

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-.../pa1-6xrbd.htm

Dimitri
Old 09-29-2013, 11:31 PM

FWIW I always heard run the AR with irons before you get fancy. Maybe it's not your first.

I have a aimpoint pro and it works fine for up to 300 yards and my eyesight isn't the greatest. I could see why you'd like magnification though. These 1-4 scopes are looking pretty good!
Old 10-04-2013, 1:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
hahaha... welcome to my world... I find shopping for optics harder than trying to figure out which rifle to buy.

REALISTICALLY - What is the bulk of your shooting going to be? I know its not waiting for the zombies to come... Your optic should match the style of shooter you are, and the type of shooting you do...

This is why I own more than 1 optic for the same rifle, I couldn't make a decision on just one. There is some overlap in application here, but they all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

For the price of an Eotech/Mag combo, you can pretty much get an Eotech and a 1-4x scope... Call it a backup optic for the zombies if you want.
This is what I am leaning towards... I just got my flat top upper swapped in on my old A2 and my carry handle is history. My Aimpoint is mounted properly now. I also want to add a QD setup with a low power fixed or variable scope that I can swap in easily - the Aimpoint comes off easy enough. I just need to find a decent one piece QD mount and a compact 2-7 or 1-4 scope. I'd rather do that than have a swing-out magnifier... which wouldn't even fit on my rail space with a rear sight anyway.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

Bushnell DMR :P I wish I had one for my AR, just cause. It really depends what you want to do with it though.

But thats shooting for groups, otherwise I'd get an acog 4x-6x for that range. However, I like more magnification if shooting for groups.

Honestly we don't have enough info on the rifle. Is this a mil-spec with 16" barrel?

Last edited by Justintoxicated; 10-04-2013 at 11:35 PM..
Old 10-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr0ntSight View Post
I'd have to recommend an ACOG. They are built to last you a lifetime and work well in CQB and are perfect for anything out to 600yds. They can be pricey but IMHO they can't be beat. I got an ACOG TA31RCO-M4 not to long ago and don't know if I could ever use anything else now.

FS
I had an RCO as well, and also thought I couldn't do without it. Until I got an ECOS Greatest multirole optic ever.
Old 10-05-2013, 3:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Simple red dot for everyday CQB. Removable flip to side magnifier for long range shots that you feel you need some help seeing. You don't want magnification or a tube casting shadows when doing CQB work.

I recommend either Aimpoint or EoTech. Either will work fine. Co-witness your iron sights in the lower 1/3 of the optic's window. That way if it ever fails for any reason your irons are right there ready to roll.

Now, if you are really going to use it for shooting targets and not going to take CQB courses with it then things like a fixed power ACOG or 1-4x scope are nice. They are great for target shooting and even 3 gun shooting. But in a CQB environment they are less than ideal. Likewise for really long range target shooting something more powerful like a 3.5-10x40 is nice. But would clearly be the wrong choice for CQB. Doesn't matter how nice or expensive they are...they are the wrong tool for that particular job.

Take a Tactical Carbine Course with each of them. You'll agree. An ordinary red dot with zero magnification and as small a tube as possible is the best for CQB work. It the absolute fastest, least distracting optic for a high speed environment.

It is a pretty to easy figure out concept. The closer they are they less magnification and tube you want or you'll get lost in them and get dead. The further away they are the more magnification and tube you can get away with.

Those paper zombies are brutal.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 10-05-2013 at 3:26 AM..
Old 10-07-2013, 7:52 PM

My new TA-31RCO-A4 came from the factory with the mounting ears for a RMR so it will be getting a dual illumination model installed in the future. Solves the CQB to Mid range distance problems quite well. No dials, buttons, batteries or other distractions. Green RMR for close in fast paced shooting and Red reticle for distance.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 10-12-2013, 9:49 AM
Veteran Member

Lots of options to choose from for CQB to mid-range shooting. I decided on the eotech EXPS2-0 and x3 magnifier route for one AR set up. Still deciding on the other.
Old 10-18-2013, 6:52 AM
Veteran Member

For 3 gun most common used is Trijicon Accupoint scopes.
Great for both worlds shoot at any 300 yard target and go CQB at 5 yards.
Using both eyes open with the Bindon Aiming System.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echidin View Post
Lots of options to choose from for CQB to mid-range shooting. I decided on the eotech EXPS2-0 and x3 magnifier route for one AR set up. Still deciding on the other.
Sounds like an excellent choice to me. Be sure to post picks in the Rifles Gallery.
Old 10-19-2013, 7:26 AM
Vendor/Retailer

This was tailor made for an AR

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-.../pa1-6xrbd.htm
Old 10-19-2013, 6:25 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhc11 View Post
There are endless selections but here are some I like, especially the Vortex Viper PST MRAD.

Under $900-700
http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-1...iflescope.html

Under $500
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...cq-moa-reticle

Under $400
http://www.burrisoptics.com/mtac1.html

You all have deep pockets.

PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

When pimping begins, friendship ends.

Don't let your history be a mystery
Old 10-26-2013, 8:12 PM

We do you want to start? There are a myriad of optics out there, what helped is you stating what you wanted, mainly CQC and 200 yard limit engagements. Any red dot will do, I particularly like EOTech's redicle with the 65MOA circle and 1MOA aiming dot. If you are going to choose Aimpoint, keep the red dot at 2 MOA, not 4 MOA, at 200 yards, the 4 MOA dot is 8 MOA, precise shots become difficult. I would recommend some type of low magnification which will to your advantage, especially at 200 yards which is your limit I bought the Vortex Viper PST, but found the entire reticle too small and easily obscured, I think I will go with the Leupold Mark Mode 1 with a 1.5-4x20mm firedot reticle.
Old 10-26-2013, 8:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by javalos View Post
We do you want to start? There are a myriad of optics out there, what helped is you stating what you wanted, mainly CQC and 200 yard limit engagements. Any red dot will do, I particularly like EOTech's redicle with the 65MOA circle and 1MOA aiming dot. If you are going to choose Aimpoint, keep the red dot at 2 MOA, not 4 MOA, at 200 yards, the 4 MOA dot is 8 MOA, precise shots become difficult. I would recommend some type of low magnification which will to your advantage, especially at 200 yards which is your limit I bought the Vortex Viper PST, but found the entire reticle too small and easily obscured, I think I will go with the Leupold Mark Mode 1 with a 1.5-4x20mm firedot reticle.
What? No. A 4 MOA dot at 100 yards is still 4 MOA at 200 yards.

At 100 yards a 4 MOA dot will cover 4", and it will still be 4 MOA covering 8" at 200 yards. At 50 yards that 4 MOA dot will cover 2". I agree that the 2 MOA dot would be better, but the 4 MOA doesn't suddenly become 8(an 8 MOA dot would cover 16" at 200 yards, but the dot doesn't change size, so that's not an issue)
Old 10-26-2013, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post

At 100 yards a 4 MOA dot will cover 4", and it will still be 4 MOA covering 8" at 200 yards. At 50 yards that 4 MOA dot will cover 2". I agree that the 2 MOA dot would be better, but the 4 MOA doesn't suddenly become 8(an 8 MOA dot would cover 16" at 200 yards, but the dot doesn't change size, so that's not an issue)
What I meant is the 4 MOA dot appears larger as distance increases, at 200 yards the dog obscures the much more because of course the target is smaller.
Old 10-26-2013, 8:46 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by javalos View Post
What I meant is the 4 MOA dot appears larger as distance increases, at 200 yards the dog obscures the much more because of course the target is smaller.
FFP 1-4... problem/confusion solved
Old 10-27-2013, 1:38 PM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You want something that has a good warrantee and is built from quality components. Go Leupold -->http://swfa.com/Leupold-1-6x24-VX-6-...pe-P51785.aspx

This has the FireDot illumination, it is 1-6x.

And get this mount ----> http://swfa.com/SWFA-Precision-Optic...nt-P56617.aspx

Bobro mount - Single lever QD mount needs no adjustment and returns to zero. Extended to give you plenty of room on a flat top AR. I have three of these in use.

The other scope I recommend which is oriented more for fast shooting up to 100 yards is the highly regarded Trijicon TR24R. It's reticle is very quick, like Aimpoint quick, close up and very good to 100, easy enough to 200. It is illuminated and requires no battery. It is lit with fiber optics and when it is pitch dark it is lit with tritium phosphorus. ---->http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/produc....php?pid=TR24R

I love shooting with my TR24R more than any scope I have. It can be purchased under the MSRP of about $1000.

The Viper PST 1-4 is well regarded by many folks and will leave you more room for buying ammo.

OH, and don't fall into the trap of buying a red-dot with a magnifier. You will get tired of it quickly. Ask me how I know? I have an Aimpoint and Aimpoint magnifier. I also have an EOTech and an EOTech GEN 2 magnifier. Guess where the magnifiers are? In a box. In fact I'll sell you my LE EOTech 557 (with less than 100 rounds on it) and my EOTech Gen2 magnifier for $775 + ship + insurance. Both nearly new. I even sent the 557 to EOTech to update the electronics last year.

I don't recommend magnifiers. If you're going to use a RDS just use the RDS.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 10-27-2013 at 1:52 PM..
Old 10-27-2013, 2:28 PM

I have been known to buy the best optic I can and then selecting the right rifle to put underneath it.
Two uppers... 16 inch lightweight and an Aimpoint PRO
18 inch SPR free float and a good quality 1-6 or 3-9 Illuminated.

Last edited by sjb269; 10-27-2013 at 2:37 PM..