Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Need Help!!

I normally load the following loads

75gr HNDY JHP 25gr Varget 400CCI primer
77gr SMK JHP 24gr TAC 400CCI primer
60gr HNDY BT 27C Varget 400CCI primer
55 gr WIN FMJ 28C 748W 450CCI or Military primer.

Ok so here is my situation, a while back one of my uppers was having a problem skewering primers! I tried everything until someone told me that either the CCI primers suck or my hammer spring needs to be changed. I changed it and it has not happen since. It did it on ADCOM m855 as well so I started to think it's not the primer or a pressure problem, I have check headspace and firring pin Specs.
Anyways a long story short I bought some CCI military primers because I was told they were harder to pierce. My question is how does this effect my loads using a magnum or military primer instead of a 400CCI?

Should I bring the load down? I know I load hot for .223 but I have 5.56 chambers.

PUREMMA
MIXED MARTIAL ARTS ACADEMY

Last edited by 1lostinspace; 11-28-2010 at 2:46 PM..
Old 11-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes. If you're loading at or near max you should back your loads off, and work back up whenever you change primers, powder lots, or projos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
Yes. If you're loading at or near max you should back your loads off, and work back up whenever you change primers, powder lots, or projos.
I figured I would start at 1 grain back and move back up. Having a 5.56 chamber should let me get away with loading hot and using a military primer.

PUREMMA
Old 11-28-2010, 2:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What's "squiring"?

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 11-28-2010, 2:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
What's "squiring"?

Sorry I men't skewering lol

PUREMMA
Old 11-28-2010, 3:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

In my experience dropping 1 grain might not be enough. 10 percent is the usual figure to drop when something like this is going on. Pierced primers can be caused by excessive pressure. Are the corners of the primers (outer edge) squared looking/flattened? An over-sized firing pin hole can also cause pierced primers.
all the best,
Mike

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 11-28-2010, 4:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Usually when you pierce a primer for the very first time, the hot gas shooting through the hole will deform the tip of your firing pin slightly. From then on, that firing pin will give you a higher rate of pierced primers than you would normally experience, especially with max loads.

Take your pin out and look closely at it the tip. Use a magnifying glass if necessary. You can also run your fingernail over the tip in several directions. If your nail catches anywhere, the tip is deformed and you should probably replace it. You can always save the old one as an emergency spare.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
Usually when you pierce a primer for the very first time, the hot gas shooting through the hole will deform the tip of your firing pin slightly. From then on, that firing pin will give you a higher rate of pierced primers than you would normally experience, especially with max loads.

Take your pin out and look closely at it the tip. Use a magnifying glass if necessary. You can also run your fingernail over the tip in several directions. If your nail catches anywhere, the tip is deformed and you should probably replace it. You can always save the old one as an emergency spare.
I have solved the primer problem
it's not the load or the primers it was the hammer spring.
My question is on my handloads do i use less powder when using a military primer

PUREMMA
Old 11-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lostinspace View Post
My question is on my handloads do i use less powder when using a military primer
I don't know about CCI primers, but with Wolf primers, the only difference between the standard SR and magnum/5.56 SR primers is the cup thickness. They make the magnum/5.56 primers with a thicker cup, with no other difference in the type or amount of primer material.

As I said, I don't know if CCI does it that way or not. You could check the Wideners website and see what they say about CCI primers, or contact CCI directly and ask them.

Or you could run a test and make 10 rounds, all of them with the exact same light load of powder and bullet, but put one primer in 5 rounds, and the other primer in 5 rounds, send 'em, and see if your POI is the same. That would tell you right there also.

Last edited by xrMike; 11-30-2010 at 12:43 PM..
Old 12-01-2010, 7:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
I don't know about CCI primers, but with Wolf primers, the only difference between the standard SR and magnum/5.56 SR primers is the cup thickness. They make the magnum/5.56 primers with a thicker cup, with no other difference in the type or amount of primer material.

As I said, I don't know if CCI does it that way or not. You could check the Wideners website and see what they say about CCI primers, or contact CCI directly and ask them.

Or you could run a test and make 10 rounds, all of them with the exact same light load of powder and bullet, but put one primer in 5 rounds, and the other primer in 5 rounds, send 'em, and see if your POI is the same. That would tell you right there also.
That helps

PUREMMA